3 Week Old Baby Mauled by Dog

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

A three week old baby is in a critical condition in hospital after being mauled by a dog. 

Not sure of the circumstances or the breed of dog, however IMO if it is proven that the baby was left alone with the dog then the parents and owners should be jailed.  I am sick of seeing these pictures on social media of big, bull-terrier type dogs lying next to new-born babies and people saying how gentle they are around them.  It is just irresponsible, they are totally unpredictable dogs and once one of them gets a hold of a baby so small, the injuries must be absolutely horrific. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-47899787

3fingersreid

That logic should be applied to ALL breeds of dogs not just the demonised bull terrier & similar breeds .

I fully agree with you in the punishment of the person who left the baby and dog together unattended .

Most dogs are fantastic pets ,sadly the same can’t be said about the owners .

Another tragic and avoidable incident that I hope the baby survives .

The Future's Maroon

Just horrible and sad.

Personally, I wouldn’t have any dog (even cat) if there was a newborn or young child about. Yes they are wonderful pets, but even if it is a poodle or Doberman they are too unpredictable and can be provoked by accident by a kid just waving a hand about.

Really hope this wee one pulls through.

Pretty much all dogs can do this if they get the chance.     But yes,    allowing a dog to be a danger to a baby should be a visit to the jail.    

The dogs aren't the problem it is the arsehole owners who don't know how to train or handle a dog properly. 

Unfortunately that dog will likely be destroyed and a kid scarred for life. 

I have owned staffies and pit bulls in the past and they were gentle as anything.i got them very young so trained them well.  My last dog was a westie jack 

Russel cross she was abused and came to me incredibly aggressive and who could blame her? Took ages to get her to trust me and calm down. But she did. 

We have the most lovable, friendly dog you could ask for but he was never left alone with the wee man when he was a baby.

Now they're best of friends.

Better call Saul
2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

A three week old baby is in a critical condition in hospital after being mauled by a dog. 

Not sure of the circumstances or the breed of dog, however IMO if it is proven that the baby was left alone with the dog then the parents and owners should be jailed.  I am sick of seeing these pictures on social media of big, bull-terrier type dogs lying next to new-born babies and people saying how gentle they are around them.  It is just irresponsible, they are totally unpredictable dogs and once one of them gets a hold of a baby so small, the injuries must be absolutely horrific. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-47899787

That social media thing also does my head in "my two babies together " etc etc etc 

*U*k right off 

3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Not sure of the circumstances or the breed of dog, however IMO if it is proven that the baby was left alone with the dog then the parents and owners should be jailed. 

Correct.

Or even if just left beside the dog at all at that age, even if the parents were in the same room. Asking for trouble.

Салатные палочки

Local councillor on the news earlier saying that there are a lot of stray dogs in the area.  I don't know if by that he means that the dog wandered into the house off the street. 

doctor jambo

Staffies = guns

If you want one, you should be the last person to have one.

I cannot remember the last person mauled to death by a retriever, or a spaniel.

"its not the gun that kills "

" its not the dog, its the owner"

erm, no. The staffies are physically built to attack.

There are thousands of other breeds- why would anyone want a staffie?

they managed to get over not being allowed pitbulls perfectly well.

Get yourself a labradoodle, and you may find your inadequacy that drives you to buy a muscle hound resolves itself

Generally it is down to the owner how a dog behaves. However in the Instances of small children around dogs, all it takes is the wave of an arm or such, especially when the baby is so young and the dog could feel that it's territory is threatened. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
55 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Staffies = guns

Get yourself a labradoodle, and you may find your inadequacy that drives you to buy a muscle hound resolves itself

They want a dog? Get a chihuahua. 

Auld Reekin'
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The dogs aren't the problem it is the arsehole owners who don't know how to train or handle a dog properly. 

Unfortunately that dog will likely be destroyed and a kid scarred for life. 

I have owned staffies and pit bulls in the past and they were gentle as anything.i got them very young so trained them well.  My last dog was a westie jack 

Russel cross she was abused and came to me incredibly aggressive and who could blame her? Took ages to get her to trust me and calm down. But she did. 

No matter how well trained a dog is and how friendly, gentle, and obedient it is towards its owner(s), bringing a baby or toddler or young child into the equation can cause big changes in the dog's behaviour. Often the dog is the focus for the family's attention and each family member may spend more time interacting with the dog rather than each other. Then, when a baby arrives on the scene, this all changes and everyone's attention switches to the new arrival. Dogs can often find this sudden switch difficult to understand and adjust to and can react with jealousy and aggression towards what they see as their rival and competition for the affection and attention of its "pack". The more placid and laid-back breeds are likely to adapt quicker and usually do so with less stress; the breeds you mention - no matter how good they were with you and those around you - as well as other dogs bred for their hunting / guarding / fighting abilities are less able to do so because of their temperaments.

Of course, any badly-trained or mistreated dog of any breed can be uncontrollable and aggressive, but that takes us back to arsehole owners...

Edited by Auld Reekin'

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Staffies = guns

I can safely assume you’ve never owned a Staffie ? 

And by that I don’t mean one of the many bred by low life scum that are mixed breed and not pedigree . Get one from a reputable breeder and you get a very affectionate loyal dog . 

If you think labradoodles won’t bite you’re kidding yourself on , poodles can be nasty wee ****ers too . 

3fingersreid
2 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

No matter how well trained a dog is and how friendly, gentle, and obedient it is towards its owner(s), bringing a baby or toddler or young child into the equation can cause big changes in the dog's behaviour. Often the dog is the focus for the family's attention and each family member may spend more time interacting with the dog rather than each other. Then, when a baby arrives on the scene, this all changes and everyone's attention switches to the new arrival. Dogs can often find this sudden switch difficult to understand and adjust to and can react with jealousy and aggression towards what they see as their rival and competition for the affection and attention of its "pack". The more placid and laid-back breeds are likely to adapt quicker and usually do so with less stress; the breeds you mention - no matter how good they were with you and those around you - as well as other dogs bred for their hunting / guarding / fighting abilities are less able to do so because of their temperaments.

Of course, any badly-trained or mistreated dog of any breed can be uncontrollable and aggressive, but that takes us back to arsehole owners...

Nailed it ??

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Nailed it ??

No he hasn't. 

Any change to a dogs behaviour is the result of lazy or bad training techniques. A well trained dog will adapt to a new family member no problem at all as long as long as the introduction is done properly. Clicker training is the best way to keep a dog in line and plenty exercise. 

I have had and been around dogs my whole life and not one dog EVER turned against me or anyone I know. And these are all the apparent devil dogs people talk about.  

doctor jambo
12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

And by that I don’t mean one of the many bred by low life scum that are mixed breed and not pedigree . Get one from a reputable breeder and you get a very affectionate loyal dog . 

If you think labradoodles won’t bite you’re kidding yourself on , poodles can be nasty wee ****ers too . 

Sure , all other breeds bite- they are descended from wolves.

But I  have never seen a report of a child being rag-dolled by the head by a cocker spaniel.

Or  a crying baby being killed by a collie.

More people in the UK are killed by staffies than firearms now.

Go figure

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Staffies = guns

Do you want to explain what you mean by that statement? As it seems quite insulting to the many thousands of decent people like myself who have owned these dogs. 

doctor jambo
14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Wouldn't want one- ugly *******s bred to attack things.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Do you want to explain what you mean by that statement? As it seems quite insulting to the many thousands of decent people like myself who have owned these dogs. 

THink its fairly obvious

If you are drawn to such things as staffies, when you could choose from thousands of other breeds, and want to strut around with a mass of muscle and teeth on the end of a leash, then there must be a reason.

Same one as people used to want American Pit bulls and all manner of other attack dogs.

Either a tiny tadger, or a tiny brain, or both

12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

THink its fairly obvious

If you are drawn to such things as staffies, when you could choose from thousands of other breeds, and want to strut around with a mass of muscle and teeth on the end of a leash, then there must be a reason.

Same one as people used to want American Pit bulls and all manner of other attack dogs.

Either a tiny tadger, or a tiny brain, or both

Ok, explain to me what I have said or done to you to deserve such insults thrown my way?

People like you who hide behind keyboards or phone screens thinking they can throw insults and sweeping statements like that are scum bags. If that is your attitude you are simply not worth the time or effort. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

3fingersreid
11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Wouldn't want one- ugly *******s bred to attack things.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 

Pitbulls are the AR15 of dog breeds.

Made to do maximum damage, pointlessly owned by arseholes and asking for danger.

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Staffies = guns

What a big steaming pile of shite of a post. 

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

No he hasn't. 

Any change to a dogs behaviour is the result of lazy or bad training techniques. A well trained dog will adapt to a new family member no problem at all as long as long as the introduction is done properly. Clicker training is the best way to keep a dog in line and plenty exercise. 

I have had and been around dogs my whole life and not one dog EVER turned against me or anyone I know. And these are all the apparent devil dogs people talk about.  

But what you’ve got to remember buddy is that there’s levels of training .

you are obviously at the high end of the scale , then there’s the bulk of dog owners who have control over their dogs , then there’s those that have dogs who can barely control themselves let alone an animal . When a child is introduced to the family it changes the pack dynamic unfortunately . 

Cruyff Turn

The dogs involved were not staffies, they were bull mastiff crosses with another breed, possibly a pitbull. 

I used to to stay around the corner from that house, I know what kind of dogs lived there. 

Cruyff Turn
10 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Pitbulls are the AR15 of dog breeds.

Made to do maximum damage, pointlessly owned by arseholes and asking for danger.

Pit bulls are illegal in this Country. You’d be able to spot one a mile away. 

No he hasn't. 

Babies/toddlers are also unpredictable, annoying little shits. There's no accounting for what a baby could do at any moment that will provoke the dog to respond. You'd need to have eyes on them at all times.

Edited by Ray Gin

Cruyff Turn

Exactly, I’ve owned two staffies in my life, both have been the nicest dogs I’ve ever known. Anyone demonising Staffies is unfit to contribute to this thread and possibly doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Crete said:

No Dogs should be left alone with children.Thoughts with the baby's family hope the little one pulls through. 

Indeed. Sounding bad for the kid though. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Exactly, I’ve owned two staffies in my life, both have been the nicest dogs I’ve ever known. Anyone demonising Staffies is unfit to contribute to this thread and possibly doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about.

They might well be.  Woman across the stair from me has one and it seems a friendly (if boisterous and very ‘jump-uppy’) thing.

But ... like any other dog I have no doubt that it could be unpredictable.  

I don’t want to be insulting, but anyone who thinks that unpredictability can be reliably trained out of them, these animals let’s not forget, is kidding themselves.

I would never leave a dog alone with a young child.

Can someone post me a link to an article covering a situation where a Labrador, poodle or Collie etc has mauled a child? I await with baited breath. Thanks. 

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

They might well be.  Woman across the stair from me has one and it seems a friendly (if boisterous and very ‘jump-uppy’) thing.

But ... like any other dog I have no doubt that it could be unpredictable.  

I don’t want to be insulting, but anyone who thinks that unpredictability can be reliably trained out of them, these animals let’s not forget, is kidding themselves.

I would never leave a dog alone with a young child.

It entirely depends on the dog and how well you know it. I know my auld staffy At 12 yr old, who’s terrified of the rabbit, been dressed up, sat on, chased about and has never bitten ‘anything’ in it’s life, is trustworthy and wouldn’t harm a fly. 

I know of other dogs who seem pleasant enough who I certainly wouldn’t leave in the same room as a child.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It entirely depends on the dog and how well you know it. I know my auld staffy At 12 yr old, who’s terrified of the rabbit, been dressed up, sat on, chased about and has never bitten ‘anything’ in it’s life, is trustworthy and wouldn’t harm a fly. 

Sorry CT, but it’s an animal.  How can you know that?

Cruyff Turn
4 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

Can someone post me a link to an article covering a situation where a Labrador, poodle or Collie etc has mauled a child? I await with baited breath. Thanks. 

Collies and Labs are some of the most aggressive dogs I’ve ever come across. 

Infact my father in law had to get his 3 year old Border Collie put down recently. Lovely dog but had probably been beaten by a teenage boy as a pup. It had been sent to a home where my father in law, who has had Collies all his life, took it. Unfortunately it bit me once, it bit my missus and it was simply a nervous wreck and it didn’t know how to trust people. Unfortunately in the end, it had to go. 

Cruyff Turn
Just now, FWJ said:

Sorry CT, but it’s an animal.  How can you know that?

Because I do. People are more unpredictable than dogs. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Pit bulls are illegal in this Country. You’d be able to spot one a mile away. 

It'd be the raging beast with the toddlers arm in its mouth.

I leave my Frenchie with my baby boy all the time. 

People who wouldn’t leave their dog alone with their children clearly shouldn’t have dogs as pets. 

Hope the bairn in this case ends up okay.

fabienleclerq
25 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Collies and Labs are some of the most aggressive dogs I’ve ever come across. 

Infact my father in law had to get his 3 year old Border Collie put down recently. Lovely dog but had probably been beaten by a teenage boy as a pup. It had been sent to a home where my father in law, who has had Collies all his life, took it. Unfortunately it bit me once, it bit my missus and it was simply a nervous wreck and it didn’t know how to trust people. Unfortunately in the end, it had to go. 

Come on mate, you can't use a collie that was beaten to **** to justify saying collies and labs are aggressive. 

I generally find staffies to be pretty friendly, in fact I can't remember encountering an aggressive one. Pitbull types and crosses again I've not seen many aggressive ones but they always give me a feeling they can turn pretty quick. 

I think as much as its the owners more than the dog there's a reason the owners pick those breeds. They are built to fight. I find them to be more jealous as well which may explain why it always appears to be them that attacks kids. 

Cruyff Turn
47 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Come on mate, you can't use a collie that was beaten to **** to justify saying collies and labs are aggressive. 

I generally find staffies to be pretty friendly, in fact I can't remember encountering an aggressive one. Pitbull types and crosses again I've not seen many aggressive ones but they always give me a feeling they can turn pretty quick. 

I think as much as its the owners more than the dog there's a reason the owners pick those breeds. They are built to fight. I find them to be more jealous as well which may explain why it always appears to be them that attacks kids. 

Labs are actually responsible for the most dog attacks in the U.K. on people. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dog-breed-most-likely-to-attack-bite-you-revealed-a7166296.html%3famp

Cruyff Turn

According to my Missus who is itk on all things in that shitehole Hawick, it was patterdale terriers and a lurcher that attacked the child. Those dugs are used in those parts for deer hunting and badger baiting. Which might explain. 

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They are also pretty much the most popular dogs. 

Have you any stats on serious attacks? If you think labs in general are more aggressive than staffies or pitbulls you're a bit deluded.