Jullian Assange arrested by Met Police

Rab87

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

But but but. The special relationship!! 

The special relationship exists when US wants it to. We all know it, but no-one in authority will ever say it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake

• Mikey1874

• felix

• Malinga the Swinga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...
The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

It was always going to happen with this Tory government.

Hopefully the ECHR will step in and really piss them off.

Malinga the Swinga

Hopefully he'll be sent back. He will at least get fairer trial than the people identified as a result of his actions.

manaliveits105
52 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hopefully he'll be sent back. He will at least get fairer trial than the people identified as a result of his actions.

Fair comment 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not really sure where I stand on this. The States will want to make an example of him and that’s got to be a concern - about whether he really gets a fair trial - but at the same time, some of what he did was very reckless and the whole Swedish trial thing was very unsatisfactory 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

From what I recall of the US case, there were allegations that individuals were put at risk, but no specific instances of harm were proffered.

Edited by Footballfirst

Seymour M Hersh

Whether you agree with his actions or not there's no chance of him getting anything approaching a fair trial in a US federal court case. 

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not really sure where I stand on this. The States will want to make an example of him and that’s got to be a concern - about whether he really gets a fair trial - but at the same time, some of what he did was very reckless and the whole Swedish trial thing was very unsatisfactory 

all fair comment. This feels like a balanced recap;

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/4/12/18306901/julian-assange-arrest-wikileaks-rape-sweden-embassy

Ron Burgundy

I am totally ignorant as to what this guy is meant to have done. Obviously I have heard of him but that's about it.

WTF is wiki leaks?

Whistleblowing is a very important safeguard against arseholes trying to get away with being arseholes.

There is a fine line between whistleblowing and espionage, especially when it comes to leaked information.

Assange has always sailed close to that line. Often he's gone over it. And that's a bad thing.

The whole Sweden thing was a ludicrous and desperate attempt by the USA and the whole embassy thing was a desperate attempt by the UK to illegally detain a private citizen on trumped-up espionage charges.

Nobody comes out of this looking good. Not the USA, not the UK and not Assange.

dobmisterdobster
7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It was always going to happen with this Tory government.

He's not a UK citizen like Gary McKinnon was. No reason to block the extradition.

27 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Trump isn't president.

US holds elections every 4 years. Next one is November 2024 and new President starts January 2025. 

Trump is odds on favourite.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

He's not a UK citizen like Gary McKinnon was. No reason to block the extradition.

Correct. Should have been extradited long ago. Happy enough to drop others in deep shit but too cowardly to face the consequences of his actions.

dobmisterdobster
19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

US holds elections every 4 years. Next one is November 2024 and new President starts January 2025. 

Trump is odds on favourite.

While I'm sure the Republicans will do well in this year's midterms. I think it's difficult to predict the outcome of the next presidential election with it being 2 years away. A lot can happen in that time.