First picture of a black hole

AlimOzturk

been here before

Mind boggling figures and a brilliant quote...

Prof Heino Falcke, of Radboud University in the Netherlands, who proposed the experiment, told BBC News that the black hole was found in a galaxy called M87.

"...It is an absolute monster, the heavyweight champion of black holes in the Universe."

It's too incredible to understand, at least for me.

That picture is of the black hole as it was 55-million years ago.  Galaxy M87 is 55-million light years away.  Mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's too incredible to understand, at least for me.

That picture is of the black hole as it was 55-million years ago.  Galaxy M87 is 55-million light years away.  Mind boggling.

My was understanding was that light was absorbed by a black hole and couldn't escape. So I have no idea what that bright orange light is and I don't think the scientists studying this can understand how the light is reaching us. 

Black holes are a mind ****. 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

My was understanding was that light was absorbed by a black hole and couldn't escape. So I have no idea what that bright orange light is and I don't think the scientists studying this can understand how the light is reaching us. 

Black holes are a mind ****. 

The orange light is super-heated gas circling the black hole, prior to being swallowed up.

maroonlegions

Scientist Katie Bouman PhD ’17  of Massachuesette Institute of Technology shares the moment when "the first image I ever made of a black hole" was processed.

This was the first time anyone ever created an image of a black hole.

56567263_10213321822537969_4520592957534

Watching in disbelief as the first image I ever made of a black hole was in the process of being reconstructed.

...a bit disco

Black hole?

Racist, cultural appropriation, etc.

Horatio Caine
2 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I don't get it ! If I went into a black hole ..what would happen ?.

You wouldn't get it.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

3 million times the size of earth :pray:

And 6.5 billion times the mass of our Sun. 

It's 52,850,042 light years away.  The numbers involved are absolutely mind blowing! 

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I don't get it ! If I went into a black hole ..what would happen ?.

Nobody knows. 

The theorised spaghettification in the event horizon would be interesting to see though. 

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

It's 52,850,042 light years away.  The numbers involved are absolutely mind blowing! 

Too far to walk then. :(

It's actually (as I'm sure you know) in cosmic terms, relatively close, but honestly, the scale and power of it all only confirms my feelings of "WTF do any of us matter and what's the point?" Although I know the answer to the last bit and it scares the "the proverbial" out of me. Even the fact we are making these advances will mean nothing because it's so vast, by the time we go extinct it will be a bit like "exploring" from Edinburgh to Loanheid.

Mind boggling, and just imagine if you could be here to "see it out".

The Internet
4 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

It's actually (as I'm sure you know) in cosmic terms, relatively close, but honestly, the scale and power of it all only confirms my feelings of "WTF do any of us matter and what's the point?" Although I know the answer to the last bit and it scares the "the proverbial" out of me. Even the fact we are making these advances will mean nothing because it's so vast, by the time we go extinct it will be a bit like "exploring" from Edinburgh to Loanheid.

If you've got a spare half hour and fancy an existential crisis then this video is pretty good. 

Harry Potter
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Awesome. It's a shame Hawking didn't live long enough to see this. 

Its amazing, real shame Mr Hawking never got to enjoy this.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, I'm sure it is.

Good of you to show well deserved confidence in experts who have dedicated countless hours--really, their entire lives--to the advancement of knowledge . . . as opposed to some arsehole who might imply it's all a scam in the latest bout between Dunning-Kruger and his own ignorance.

11 hours ago, tian447 said:

Think the number 4 bus goes there if you stay on long enough.

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

If you've got a spare half hour and fancy an existential crisis then this video is pretty good. 

That was a mind bending watch! Bloody good though! 

9 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

And to think we could just be one universe in an infinite number of different universes as well. 

The whole thing is just to complex for me to even begin to grasp. 

indianajones
1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Looks more like when your original xbox used to fry and give you the red ring of death

Haha not heard that for a while. 

Wonder what would happen if you were to wrap a blackhole in a towel. 

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Well, that's reinvigorated my sense of purpose. :wacko2:

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I saw my first backhoe courtesy of Hustler magazine circa 1973 ish????

Was that not Gardener Weekly.

willie wallace

It is nearly as big as our entire solar system.

If only 1 telescope was used in the survey it would have to as big as Earth.

My son knows a wee bit about this and showed me some videos last night.

Far too complicated for me to undertstand

Figures are cuckoo !

I was watching a thing that said the nearest star to us, Proxima Centuri, was 4 light years away and it would take 81,000 years to get there on our fastest spacecraft !

This thing is 52 million light years away !

Help !!

AlphonseCapone
13 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I went on quite the roller-coaster. Existential crisis was first then I just started feeling unbelievably lucky to be alive. 

What does the universe expand into? What if we are a simulation universe? How can time become meaningless? 

This stuff gives me nightmares. 

12th April 1961, Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human to orbit the Earth - the first cosmonaut.

58 years on we have these images of a black hole.  What progress!

Image result for yuri gagarin

13 hours ago, willie wallace said:

It is nearly as big as our entire solar system.

If only 1 telescope was used in the survey it would have to as big as Earth.

My son knows a wee bit about this and showed me some videos last night.

Far too complicated for me to undertstand

They had several high powered telescopes placed around the world which they somehow combined to make a telescope powerful enough to picture this.

Humanity can do wonderous things when we work together. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlphonseCapone

Someone on KB once posted a video that basically demonstrated how small the earth is in comparison to the universe. It starts out with the earth, then continues zooming out. I can't for the life of me find it. Anyone happen to have a link or recognise what I'm on about? 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

43 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Someone on KB once posted a video that basically demonstrated how small the earth is in comparison to the universe. It starts out with the earth, then continues zooming out. I can't for the life of me find it. Anyone happen to have a link or recognise what I'm on about? 

There's loads of them on YouTube (all with varying levels of shite music), but you might be looking for something like this:

Or this one that stacks things against each other to give a good overall comparison of how tiny we really are:

The Universe is scary and fascinating.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

There's loads of them on YouTube (all with varying levels of shite music), but you might be looking for something like this:

Or this one that stacks things against each other to give a good overall comparison of how tiny we really are:

The Universe is scary and fascinating.

Wasn't these exact ones but very similar! 

We are so small and insignificant :42:

On 12/04/2019 at 11:06, AlphonseCapone said:

Wasn't these exact ones but very similar! 

We are so small and insignificant :42:

Small and insignificant indeed.

To describe us as microbes living on a speck of dust would be granting us too much importance.

indianajones
55 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

:rofl: special kind of stupid. 

'doomsday prophet'. 

Well I'm convinced.