Welcome to the West in 2019

i8hibsh

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

This interests me Boris.  

I love that song and have often wondered who ‘Oliver’ was in reference to.

Who do you think it is?

Oliver Cromwell.  No friend of the Irish!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Boris

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Oliver Cromwell.  No friend of the Irish!

Thanks.

I’m already angry with myself for not working that out!  :sad: 

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

As a young man with very blac k hair, and green eyes I was often described as  being black Irish, I always thought that referred to the Irish people who had red hair and was a way of pointing out the different genetic and historic backgrounds.

I've never heard of that before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_people#Black_Irish

I just assumed that the Irish being the blacks of Europe was a reference to the way they were treated, immigration to other countries, etc

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.

I’m already angry with myself for not working that out!  :sad: 

Hahaha :rofl:

I did have to stop myself posting a sarcy reply... :wink:

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Hahaha :rofl:

I did have to stop myself posting a sarcy reply... :wink:

Didn’t stop you yesterday.  :whistling:

On 10/04/2019 at 13:11, i8hibsh said:

To negatively prejudice an entire race by calling them racist is quite possibly the racist thing I have ever heard.

Cause it's true.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

I've never heard of that before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_people#Black_Irish

I just assumed that the Irish being the blacks of Europe was a reference to the way they were treated, immigration to other countries, etc

I've got a few Irish friends who jokingly describe themselves as Black Irish, very dark hair and light blue eyes. It's not got anything to do with the blacks of Europe thing though. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It's not got anything to do with the blacks of Europe thing though. 

I'd check that again just to be sure to be sure.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I've got a few Irish friends who jokingly describe themselves as Black Irish, very dark hair and light blue eyes. It's not got anything to do with the blacks of Europe thing though. 

Where the Irish not heavy slave runners.

I P Knightley
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

But, if they did, would you have a ‘Chinese carry-out’ whilst watching it?

:whistling:

If I were in Alberta, I'd have it delivered from here

6 hours ago, Boris said:

Tazio's point regards the Irish being the "blacks of Europe" is a phrase I've heard before, so when used in a song called Oliver's Army, my initial conclusion would be that white n refers to the Irish.

I reckon that Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus might have had some cause to be singing about Ireland in that song...

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think it's a well known description - not even jokingly - but not always with the blue eyes. Colin Farrell is 'black Irish'. I think that the character Danny Waldron in Line of Duty (series 2 or 3) looks black Irish.

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I'd check that again just to be sure to be sure.

Aw, begone wi yoo tare.

Tats a loikely story fur sure.

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where the Irish not heavy slave runners.

Some were overweight but on the whole they were a slim, wiry bunch.

6 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Some were overweight but on the whole they were a slim, wiry bunch.

:D

Where they not big slave traders?

49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not as big as the Scots.

I'll dispute that. Scotland were trailblazers of the abolition of black slaves. And anyway, it was Brits not Scots.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'll dispute that. Scotland were trailblazers of the abolition of black slaves. And anyway, it was Brits not Scots.

And any academic will dispute right back at you about Scotland's role in the slave trade. It's currently a very hot topic just now with a lot of wealth in Scotland, Glasgow in particular, being made that way. It's no coincidence that a lot of people in Jamaica have Scottish surnames. This article has the sobering figures of 30% of plantations being Scottish owned and 32% of slaves.

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/

AlphonseCapone
26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And any academic will dispute right back at you about Scotland's role in the slave trade. It's currently a very hot topic just now with a lot of wealth in Scotland, Glasgow in particular, being made that way. It's no coincidence that a lot of people in Jamaica have Scottish surnames. This article has the sobering figures of 30% of plantations being Scottish owned and 32% of slaves.

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-slavery/scotland-and-slavery/

Just one example of the way Scots used the empire to better themselves unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think some Scots were heavily involved in the slave trade. Especially in the sugar plantations in the Caribbean. Some old large building in Glagow built on the back of sugar plantation profits. 

You were right about the abolition of slavery though. Scots heavily involved in that but I think we should admit our dark past existed and our part in that shameful trade at that time. 

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think some Scots were heavily involved in the slave trade. Especially in the sugar plantations in the Caribbean. Some old large building in Glagow built on the back of sugar plantation profits. 

You were right about the abolition of slavery though. Scots heavily involved in that but I think we should admit our dark past existed and our part in that shameful trade at that time. 

The Tobacco plantations are Scotland's shame and I'd probably add the plantations of Ulster too. Time Glasgow changed some of its street names or maybe not, so we never forget our part in this Vile union of £££#@££s.