Jump to content
dellboy1971

Levein - what now?

Levein  

372 members have voted

  1. 1. What now for Levein?

    • Go right now
    • Make decision in the summer
    • In charge next season


Recommended Posts

NB GIN
Posted (edited)

Bit concerned the way we are heading under budge 

Forever grateful but sorry if you can’t see past CL it’s time you moved on as well 

 

We are utter dreadful the team is a mess 

Edited by NB GIN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiantJambo

Don't recall seeing CL miss a single chance v Hibs. Did I miss something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
merrymac
2 minutes ago, GiantJambo said:

Don't recall seeing CL miss a single chance v Hibs. Did I miss something?

Most of the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonauskas
2 minutes ago, GiantJambo said:

Don't recall seeing CL miss a single chance v Hibs. Did I miss something?

 Sean Clare was our only real hope of a goal from open play, substitute made and Clare joins the defence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Enzo Chiefo

He missed exactly the same number of chances as Ian Cathro and Tony Ford did during their tenures. Why is Levein the only manager on the planet who shouldn't take responsibility for results? We've already lost the same number of games as we did in the entire season last term. Some call that progress too. Bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
old school tie

He walked out on us quick enough the first time around. I wish he would do the same again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonauskas
2 minutes ago, old school tie said:

He walked out on us quick enough the first time around. I wish he would do the same again.

 

Unfortunately that was to take up the reigns at Leicester, can you think of any other team desperate for Levein to be their manager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Class of 75
39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He missed exactly the same number of chances as Ian Cathro and Tony Ford did during their tenures. Why is Levein the only manager on the planet who shouldn't take responsibility for results? We've already lost the same number of games as we did in the entire season last term. Some call that progress too. Bizarre.

Spot on mate. Added to that we are only 8 points above Livingston despite investment and a goal difference of - 3. The facts tell of a team currently failing and the responsibility lies with one man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XB52

Anyone who actually thinks that Levein is going anywhere before the end of the season should seek help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jumpship

He deserves our respect for what he has done at Hearts. I want him to leave our thanks... 

 

If he stood up now and said he was leaving at the end of the season, I believe he would get that thanks. 

 

But if he hangs on and we continue to play this terrible football, it can only end with fans being upset and a board having to act on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tambo_The_Jambo

I was told by an ex player who is prominent at the clubs functions that it is 100% Levein’s plans that he will move back upstairs McPhee will take over in the summer. Hopefully it’s not Leveins decision to make and is taken out his hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo

There is no way he should continue to control the football side of things at this club. If he moves upstairs and appoints McPhee, we might as well forget about next season too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo

This thread should remain at the top of the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwidoug

Make a decision in the summer is not the way I would describe option 2.  Out the door at the end of the season along with his assistants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I was told by an ex player who is prominent at the clubs functions that it is 100% Levein’s plans that he will move back upstairs McPhee will take over in the summer. Hopefully it’s not Leveins decision to make and is taken out his hands. 

So McPhee will be the puppet and Levein pulling the strings.

What could possibly go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I was told by an ex player who is prominent at the clubs functions that it is 100% Levein’s plans that he will move back upstairs McPhee will take over in the summer. Hopefully it’s not Leveins decision to make and is taken out his hands. 

That would just be a total fudge in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
32 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

There is no way he should continue to control the football side of things at this club. If he moves upstairs and appoints McPhee, we might as well forget about next season too.

You have no idea how it would pan out if those changes were made. Pure biased speculation on your part. McPhee might turn out be a great head coach. None of us know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spellczech

I don't think he will leave until he wins a cup with Hearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
merrymac
55 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So McPhee will be the puppet and Levein pulling the strings.

What could possibly go wrong.

Cathro Mark 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Cathro Mark 2

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kimosavi
3 hours ago, GiantJambo said:

Don't recall seeing CL miss a single chance v Hibs. Did I miss something?

He put lead in Djoums boots 

 

I seen it myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo
37 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

You have no idea how it would pan out if those changes were made. Pure biased speculation on your part. McPhee might turn out be a great head coach. None of us know. 

 

McPhee obviously has the same footballing philosophy as Craig Levein, or he wouldn't be in the job as coach right now. The fact that he would be directly under Levein in any case makes a sham of the whole set up at the club. It's like a monopoly, with Levein holding all the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874Gorgie1874
3 hours ago, GiantJambo said:

Don't recall seeing CL miss a single chance v Hibs. Did I miss something?

If only it was that simple 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
8 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

 

McPhee obviously has the same footballing philosophy as Craig Levein, or he wouldn't be in the job as coach right now. The fact that he would be directly under Levein in any case makes a sham of the whole set up at the club. It's like a monopoly, with Levein holding all the cards.

So you always have/had the same work related philosophy as your boss? Not how it works in my experience.  This is just another rumour as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

So you always have/had the same work related philosophy as your boss? Not how it works in my experience.  This is just another rumour as well. 

 

McPhee was at the helm while Levein was recovering in hospital. I didn't see any change then, and i would be very surprised if we would see much change while Levein is sitting upstairs in his ivory tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamhammer
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So McPhee will be the puppet and Levein pulling the strings.

What could possibly go wrong.

Even if this wasn't the case no improvement and it will be the perception. The first downturn in results and all the old bile would boil up. I think anyone from the current set up is on a hiding to nothing.

If CL stays, the club doesn't sort out the monthly way of paying for ST's I can see a real dunt in sales. I'll scrape and manage it but I dare say a fair few wont or won't want to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
Just now, innerjambo said:

 

McPhee was at the helm while Levein was recovering in hospital. I didn't see any change then, and i would be very surprised if we would see much change while Levein is sitting upstairs in his ivory tower.

That’s right, we kept winning iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

 

McPhee obviously has the same footballing philosophy as Craig Levein, or he wouldn't be in the job as coach right now. The fact that he would be directly under Levein in any case makes a sham of the whole set up at the club. It's like a monopoly, with Levein holding all the cards.

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. You are assuming that everyone is just a yes man to their boss. Don’t think life is like that. Given where we are today and with the anti-Levein football views amongst the fans why would the next manager, whoever he is, try to replicate the same stuff? 

Dof’s and managers bring people on to their staffs to add to the knowledge, experience and opinion of the head man. They don’t just hire mirror images of themselves. At least the successful ones don’t. None of us know what a McPhee led Hearts team would play like. If they play as imaginatively as most of his set pieces are then I think he will have a very entertaining team. Successful team, who knows? But a lot on here seem to want an attractive entertaining Hearts team regardless of results. Bit Hibsish for me but there you go. 

Edited by soonbe110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
4 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

 

McPhee was at the helm while Levein was recovering in hospital. I didn't see any change then, and i would be very surprised if we would see much change while Levein is sitting upstairs in his ivory tower.

You don’t change the footballing philosophy of a football club just because the manager is out of action for a few weeks. Well successful clubs don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
innerjambo
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. You are assuming that everyone is just a yes man to their boss. Don’t think life is like that. Given where we are today and with the anti-Levein football views amongst the fans why would the next manager, whoever he is, try to replicate the same stuff? 

Dof’s and managers bring people on to their staffs to add to the knowledge, experience and opinion of the head man. They don’t just hire mirror images of themselves. At least the successful ones don’t. None of us know what a McPhee led Hearts team would play like. If they play as imaginatively as most of his set pieces are then I think he will have a very entertaining team. Successful team, who knows? But a lot on here seem to want an attractive entertaining Hearts team regardless of results. Bit Hibsish for me but there you go. 

 

Not true, I reckon most people want to see entertaining football with results to match. Within reason of course, no one expects us to be Barcelona all of a sudden. The problem on these threads is that people give extreme examples for both arguments just to prove their point. I'm guilty of it myself, but right now this football club is under performing on the pitch,  and I think we deserve better, and I think we are definitely capable of better. Craig Levein and his coaches are not the answer imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That’s right, we kept winning iirc. 

 

Boom 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1971fozzy

He may as well see this season out now as it’s turned into an absolute calamity.

fortunately he has had a bye into a Scottish cup final and surely he can’t fek up the semi. Can he ? 

i don’t want him as manager next season. No way do I want him in the dug out. And I don’t want any of his back room staff either as they are all responsible for this one dimensional eye bleeding garbage we’ve been watching. 

 

End of the season . Reluctantly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruickshank for Scotland
6 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Sorry but that’s just nonsense. You are assuming that everyone is just a yes man to their boss. Don’t think life is like that. Given where we are today and with the anti-Levein football views amongst the fans why would the next manager, whoever he is, try to replicate the same stuff? 

Dof’s and managers bring people on to their staffs to add to the knowledge, experience and opinion of the head man. They don’t just hire mirror images of themselves. At least the successful ones don’t. None of us know what a McPhee led Hearts team would play like. If they play as imaginatively as most of his set pieces are then I think he will have a very entertaining team. Successful team, who knows? But a lot on here seem to want an attractive entertaining Hearts team regardless of results. Bit Hibsish for me but there you go. 

 

If Levein goes back upstairs as DoF then he will hire the next manager - do you really think he will hire one who does not share his football philosophy???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siegementality

Why does the poll have no resemblance to the OP’s post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
7 hours ago, siegementality said:

Why does the poll have no resemblance to the OP’s post?

 

Two threads have been combined so now we’ve got my poll but a different OP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rooster20

In all honesty I would rather appoint someone young and fresh then a hack football dinosaur. Be that MacPhee, Naismith or Berra I think it's the only way we will have a chance of ever topping the league, an unknown with a new approach could be exactly that. Yes it may be Cathro all over again but I genuinely think the only way we do something special is by being bold and employing a manager who has had 3 or 4 spells with clubs and not quite worked out isn't going to do that, which is what most of the names suggested are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voiceofreasonfortheseason
Posted (edited)
On 06/04/2019 at 20:00, Gashauskis9 said:

Back upstairs, he won’t walk away from the club.  

 

Naismith and MacPhee in charge next season.

No, No, No. What is the love in with MacPhee?  He has been a constant since Cathro, dont get it.  As for Naismith as manager, that is not the answer.

Edited by Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gashauskis9
4 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

No, No, No. What is the love in with MacPhee?  He has been a constant since Cathro, dont get it.  As for Naismith as manager, that is not the answer.

It’s not what I want, but I think it’s what we’re getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voiceofreasonfortheseason
Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

It’s not what I want, but I think it’s what we’re getting.

Hearts are far too big a club/job for a rookie manager and a failed assistant to take over.  Even Gerrard had academy experience before getting The Rangers gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin MacGlee
17 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

I was told by an ex player who is prominent at the clubs functions that it is 100% Levein’s plans that he will move back upstairs McPhee will take over in the summer. Hopefully it’s not Leveins decision to make and is taken out his hands. 

Would be happy enough with this. Would prefer Craig to have no influence at all though because our recruitment under his stewardship has been largely terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
5 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Hearts are far too big a club/job for a rookie manager and a failed assistant to take over.  Even Gerrard had academy experience before getting The Rangers gig.

Gerrard had boys club experience. He was coaching Liverpools u18’s. Andy Kirk has more experience than Gerrard had as does John Rankin. 

Hard to agree re the failed assistant comment as well. NI doing pretty well last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin MacGlee
15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That’s right, we kept winning iirc. 

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kila
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Two threads have been combined so now we’ve got my poll but a different OP. 

 

Sounds like Brexit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
8 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

 

If Levein goes back upstairs as DoF then he will hire the next manager - do you really think he will hire one who does not share his football philosophy???

I think he will bring in someone who adds to what we have got . Whether that’s as head coach or assistant head coach who knows. I agree that if it’s just the current team in different roles it’s not going to be popular and possibly not successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin MacGlee
16 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Hearts are far too big a club/job for a rookie manager and a failed assistant to take over.  Even Gerrard had academy experience before getting The Rangers gig.

MacPhee is highly regarded in football. Just ask Michael O'Neil. Don't see how Gerrard even compares here when MacPhee has far more experience at a higher level, internationally and at club level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voiceofreasonfortheseason
Posted (edited)

?

Edited by Voiceofreasonfortheseason
Dont want to argue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voiceofreasonfortheseason
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

MacPhee is highly regarded in football. Just ask Michael O'Neil. Don't see how Gerrard even compares here when MacPhee has far more experience at a higher level, internationally and at club level.

Are you still out on the p*sh from the game?  Stuck in Stratties or something?  Tell me what you think Austin brings to the club that's worth him staying as part of (hopefully) a new regime?

Edited by Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mundaydog

A semi final - 5 league games & potentially a cup final.

With the way the team are playing at the moment, at most I could see them win the semi final but struggle to do so.

The team will down tools, can't catch a European spot and safe in sixth. So in the other games I can't see anything but defeats or horrendous dragged out draws..

 

At most we should have no more than 7 games with Craig Levein in charge, then with Ann Budge at one side and McPhee etc at the other side, make an announcement on the 20th or 27th of May saying Craig is going back to DOF role and either Austin is taking over as head coach or someone new is coming in. Make a statement along the lines of 'Club is now a lower top 6 club but needs to push on for Europe etc.'

 

The club has now had a full season with the main stand in place, I was told at the weekend that the conference rooms etc are used by external sources on a regular basis now so we have additional money. We must be getting a decent amount for the concert in August. as well, but this season is petering out again and season ticket sales will drop. 

So for the long term good of the club now is the time to make a change, Craig has been shown up this season tactically by a number of managers with far less experience than he has. We can all see that he is a stubborn B*gger but even he must know himself that its time to let go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin MacGlee
9 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Are you still out on the p*sh from the game?  Stuck in Straties or something?  Tell me what you think Austin brings to the club that's worth him staying as part of (hopefully) a new regime?

Aye mate I'm still on it. Chinged oot ma nut anaw.

Have you not seen any of our set plays this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voiceofreasonfortheseason
3 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Aye mate I'm still on it. Chinged oot ma nut anaw.

Have you not seen any of our set plays this season?

Yes, every minute of every game I am at.  I see nothing but bloody set plays and throw in's and you want to make this guy part of a new coaching set up?  You happy with things aye?  Like watching our style of play?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×