..... But who?

EasternRossco

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They just got a point at Parkhead. 

With yet another turgid 0-0 as they have several times this season.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• rudi must stay

• graygo

• EasternRossco

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We waited for weeks for a new manager when Cathro was ousted. Loads and loads of applicants applied, some were interviewed but didn't want to work under Levein's "philosophy and vision" so that's why we ended up with him taking the job.

Even if Levein did go back upstairs, not many will want to work under him. We need to move forward and the only way to do so is for him and the rest of the coaching staff (or at least, most of them) to leave so we can start with a clean slate. The scouting seems honking as well.

If we carry on as we are then we'll still be having this conversation this time next year. I'd even change before the semi-final. A wee morale boost might make the difference between winning and losing against Inverness next week.

Who are these "some were interviewed but didn't want to work under Levein's philosophy and vision?"

I can only think of Billy Davies and he wasn't even offered the job never mind being in a position to turn it down. Who are the others?

21 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We constantly punted it up the park. It was tynecastle you were at I take it??

Think you watched a different game to me 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Steve Robinson got Motherwell to two cup finals last season. I like his style 

He’s an irritating ****! 

54 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Gary Holt, done a great job at Livy and would be able to work under Levein if he is still around

Lord no. The football is bad enough now 

best in the land
50 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Hes just said hes not going anywhere...what do you not understand?!

If its down to levein if he stays next year or even moves back upstairs then I'm afraid Ann budge is not fit for her position and should not remain. 

Levein needs to be sacked outright and rest of coaches as well. 

Only comment i’ll make. Whatever happened to patience? Not interested in Europe too many serious injuries this season, these players need end of season rest. As for Levein it’s always season 3 before you recognise change , he’s got the spine in Soutar, Berra, Halkett, Uche, hopefully Naismith and Haring , Mulraney looks as though he may turn good , young players coming through and a bit of flair to be added — he did so with us first time (after loads of cost cutting) and Utd (allowed to spend there) , too many fans have no patience and oh so reactive to negative results. Sometimes you need to hold your nerve for the long term !! We were the better side today but didn’t do enough with what we had , that’s football, that happens . 

Message to self on this board - prepare to be slaughtered ? over and oot 

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, Mort said:

Think you watched a different game to me 

1st 20 minutes occasionally we got mulraney on the ball. Other than that it was the usual hoofball.

1 hour ago, EasternRossco said:

I know there's been those clamouring for a change of manager long before me but unfortunately today was my last straw with Levein. I like him for his media dealings but as a manager I think he's had his time.

Question is... Who can we realistically get as a replacement? 

Let's see who applies for it and make a decision then.

Like any job ever. 

adambraejambo

Next move up to Hearts. Do nothing and it will save me just under £500. Got to stage I expect us to be boring and univentive.  Defo not value for money. I may as well save my money and use that 500 and spend it on 5 games in hospitality so I can at least be drunk as I watch us. 

Edited by adambraejambo
Levein out

53 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This for me. His passion and will to win is there in spades. I would go with this and the present back room staff there to assist. Levein will be punted back upstairs to run the infrastructure. 

Why levein upstairs needs to go 

Calebs Grandad
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Lol this thread is full of ludicrous shite. 

I don’t rate it as highly as you ?

Calebs Grandad
12 minutes ago, andy65 said:

Only comment i’ll make. Whatever happened to patience? Not interested in Europe too many serious injuries this season, these players need end of season rest. As for Levein it’s always season 3 before you recognise change , he’s got the spine in Soutar, Berra, Halkett, Uche, hopefully Naismith and Haring , Mulraney looks as though he may turn good , young players coming through and a bit of flair to be added — he did so with us first time (after loads of cost cutting) and Utd (allowed to spend there) , too many fans have no patience and oh so reactive to negative results. Sometimes you need to hold your nerve for the long term !! We were the better side today but didn’t do enough with what we had , that’s football, that happens . 

Thank you sir. This and this alone is all that will happen and very possibly produce the results we want.

EasternRossco
13 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Let's see who applies for it and make a decision then.

Like any job ever. 

Nah fair enough. No fun in getting a general consensus from a soon to be fan owned club and I'll just go to bed. Feel free to close the thread mods. 

Edited by EasternRossco

Jasonauskas

Makes no difference as to who we would like to manage us, Levein has the safest job in the uk, Levein is here until he doesn’t want to be.

it makes no difference how bad the football is, how bad the results are, whether we get beaten in a derby or handed out arse in a semi final against Inverness.

Levein is a grade A loser and Budge is a grade A *****.

Not sure where we go from here tbh.

Jasonauskas
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

We have 2 choices

(1) Suck it up and support the team

(2) Vote with your feet

Neither option will make the slightest bit of difference,  Levein has not been able to motivate or organise us to play anything that resembles football for many months and there isn’t any sign of that changing anytime soon.

We have a Scottish Cup semi final against Inverness which is the result of extremely fortuitous draws, it took us two attempts to win against Partick Thistle and our attempt at football is extremely predictable and every manager in the league has our measure.

Enzo Chiefo
54 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Levein to be the director of the academy,not a DoF.

Get a manager in to manage.

Get the best we can afford.

One that doesnt shit his pants in Glasgow.

For that we need a guy from the south or from abroad. I don't think there is any doubt that Paul Heckingbottom would have improved us...and there are others like him out there. Michael Appleton was their first choice.  Who would Ann turn to for advice though? Has she got any contacts at all, or is it just Levein? Petrie and Dempster knew where to look for a manager, does AB? I don't know. For sure, Levein's ego is our biggest stumbling block as I don't think he will walk of his own accord. 

20 minutes ago, andy65 said:

Young players... like Cochrane? who Levein's had on the bench and warm up during the game frequently yet not brought on this season. Why? I can only think of a sinister reason.

We're likely to be 6th two seasons in a row. This season has been similar to last. Tinkering, a bunch of new faces, throwing in a random youngster then never playing them again.

5 years of his influence in the style of play across all levels at Hearts. Doesn't look like things are progressing, we're mid table pish yet again.

13 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

Nah fair enough. No fun in getting a general consensus from a soon to be fan owned club and I'll just go to bed. Feel free to close the thread mods. 

Calm down princess.

The fact is we have a bunch of blow hard Levein fan boys asking "who would we get?" Almost as if no one would want the gig. 

The fact is we won't know who we will get, or who wants it untill we chuck an advert on indeed and S1 Jobs.

Who knows who the next manager might be?   The current manager beat off a lot of excellent applicants and didn't even apply for the job.  Makes it a difficult one to call. 

TyphoonJambo
12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I could spend 10 minutes thinking of something clever to say but you know what? Lifes too short so, shut up you tube! 

EasternRossco
21 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Calm down princess.

The fact is we have a bunch of blow hard Levein fan boys asking "who would we get?" Almost as if no one would want the gig. 

The fact is we won't know who we will get, or who wants it untill we chuck an advert on indeed and S1 Jobs.

So essentially you think this thread is pointless? 

Seems popular enough that people want to give their opinions, the whole point is asking who we'd like.... Not who has applied. It is lighthearted, dry up. 

23 minutes ago, Haken said:

Who knows who the next manager might be?   The current manager beat off a lot of excellent applicants and didn't even apply for the job.  Makes it a difficult one to call. 

:rofl:

41 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Thought you didn’t care any more!

Just two choices at present - either vote with your feet or take a deep breath get behind the team and see what happens at the end of the season.

i have no doubt that there will be changes once the season ends one way or another.

rudi must stay
38 minutes ago, Haken said:

Excellent candidates

That seems like they where 1 person after drop outs: Paul Hartley

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

FFS how many times does this suggestion have to called out for the nonsense it is before people will stop suggesting it. Livingston's success is entirely down to their assistant David Martindale,  who served a long jail sentence for a drug offence. It was the same when Hopkin was there, as has been proven by the fact that Hopkin has since gone on to Bradford and only lasted a few months.

Quite apart from anything else, Livingston play dreadful hoofball, as evidenced by their centre halves being their top goalscorers.

Seriously a lifetime ban from jkb for the next person to suggest Holt.

Beat us 5-0

19 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

So essentially you think this thread is pointless? 

It's pointless people suggesting people for other people to shoot down.

Get the role advertised and then discuss the applicants, otherwise it's like me sitting here suggesting Ronaldo and Messi to our first team.

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Excellent candidates

That seems like they where 1 person after drop outs: Paul Hartley

I’m not sure what you mean but if you apply for something, you’re an applicant.  If you don’t apply for something but get the job all the same, I’m not sure what you are.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Haken said:

I’m not sure what you mean but if you apply for something, you’re an applicant.  If you don’t apply for something but get the job all the same, I’m not sure what you are.

Sub applicant I think they'd say..

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
2 hours ago, OTT said:

I tried to suggest Neilson but folk aren't able to understand that our current structure deters managers of significant experience like Sergio or Clarke. If you factor in our structure and try and suggest a legitimate option Neilsons about as good as you can get. 

If Alex Neil ever became available I'd move heaven and earth to make that happen, but again he'd probably want more control than Levein would give him...

Even after the club is handed over Budge will likely remain which therefore means Levein will remain. Using that structure try and select a genuine candidate that would actually take the job considering the shit show we had leading to Leveins appointment as manager. Names or gtf.

The very fact that better managers would be put off by the current structure is clearly the problem. Step one is remove Levein as manager, step two is remove Levein as director of football. He set out his five year plan and it has failed. 

Step three is find a decent manager, a task made much easier by removing this ridiculous hindrance to the clubs progression that is the current structure.

EasternRossco
11 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

It's pointless people suggesting people for other people to shoot down.

Get the role advertised and then discuss the applicants, otherwise it's like me sitting here suggesting Ronaldo and Messi to our first team.

Hightlight "realistic" 

1 minute ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

The very fact that better managers would be put off by the current structure is clearly the problem. Step one is remove Levein as manager, step two is remove Levein as director of football. He set out his five year plan and it has failed. 

Step three is find a decent manager, a task made much easier by removing this ridiculous hindrance to the clubs progression that is the current structure.

Yes, all of that is impossible without Budge moving on though. 

So, is losing Budge worth it to lose Levein? If not, the club needs to find a solution because it is not CL continuing as manager. I suggested Neilson because we were plodding along, if unspectacularly under him. When he left us we were 2nd. I think Levein had some say over the style of football since we had a pretty radical change in approach between the fantastic football in the championship versus once we got promoted. Perhaps Neilson now has the experience to manage Levein's oversight better. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Wonder if he could get David Wagner.

He could do well

Yeah that's the exact type of move I'd love us to make.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

So, is losing Budge worth it to lose Levein? If not, the club needs to find a solution because it is not CL continuing as manager. I suggested Neilson because we were plodding along, if unspectacularly under him. When he left us we were 2nd. I think Levein had some say over the style of football since we had a pretty radical change in approach between the fantastic football in the championship versus once we got promoted. Perhaps Neilson now has the experience to manage Levein's oversight better. 

I would hope that Budge isn’t so stubborn as to continue with a system that is failing. From a business perspective it will only result in less season tickets being sold and being less commercially successful,so it’s up to her. The absolute wave of optimism that she arrived in on has dissipated. She needs to do something about this mess. She needs to stop letting Levein squander money on swathes of players who haven’t been scouted properly I.e vanecek and scores more like him. 

Geoff the Mince

There's plenty of upcoming managers in the English lower leagues , or even Europe .

I'd like us to approach someone like Gary Rowett . . Out of a job at present and you never know might be interested.

4 hours ago, OTT said:

So if Levein had chucked it after 8 games or so when we were top of the league he would be a great manager?

EasternRossco

For the record, my shout would be Darren Fletcher. Out there I know but we are a big enough club to tempt him for a first managerial attempt and I think he's a Scotland manager in waiting. 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

For the record, my shout would be Darren Fletcher. Out there I know but we are a big enough club to tempt him for a first managerial attempt and I think he's a Scotland manager in waiting. 

Na

Too much of a gamble. Yes he'll be a good manager, as will Craig Gordon. sensible guy and I do think that is a great attribute for a manager 

FWIW I still wouldn't mind seeing Paul Hartley return. Or Neil McCann

A bit of energy is badly needed

Edited by rudi must stay

EasternRossco
39 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Na

Too much of a gamble. Yes he'll be a good manager, as will Craig Gordon. sensible guy and I do think that is a great attribute for a manager 

I can see why you'd think it was a gamble, and with exception of the belligerent Sarah O earlier I'm happy to remain open minded..... Just curious to know why you think SPH or McCann are better shouts than Fletcher? Appreciate that they both might have had previous management experience... But at the same time their respective records weren't fantastic--and I say that as a 90s kids that used to worship SPH as a player! 

32 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Na

Paul Hartley is interesting. His star was rising till things went south at Dundee, I don't think things went right for him at Falkirk either. 

I'd certainly be more open to Hartley than McCann who was a complete disaster at Dundee (IMO). Although I don't think either are the right choice. 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

So if Levein had chucked it after 8 games or so when we were top of the league he would be a great manager?

Consistency is what matters. If the previous season Levein had got us into europe and finished 3rd after winning the Championship at a canter then yeah sure i'd be suggesting him as a possible candidate. 

The bottom line is managerwise we need to make a change. My suggestion is based on Davies refusing to work under Levein coupled with failing to secure a manager during that round of interviews suggesting that may be an issue. If Budge won't remove Levein from the equation, and any manager of note won't work under him then the calibre of manager we can potentially get isn't going to be AAA, invariably its likely that any successor will probably know Levein well which off the top of my head leaves, Houston, Hartley, McCann, Daly, MacPhee or Neilson.. possibly Pressley too. Of that Neilson is the best on that list given Pressley splits the support... aggressively. 

If you have a suggestion that you believe works around the Levein issue, I'd love to hear it?

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

I can see why you'd think it was a gamble, and with exception of the belligerent Sarah O earlier I'm happy to remain open minded..... Just curious to know why you think SPH or McCann are better shouts than Fletcher? Appreciate that they both might have had previous management experience... But at the same time their respective records weren't fantastic--and I say that as a 90s kids that used to worship SPH as a player! 

The last paragraph is exactly why

He'd be worshipped by the fans and would give everyone a much needed boost before the cup semi final (or in the summer), and McCann I think is a strong and determined character, he has a future in the game despite his many mistakes at Dundee, in my opinion 

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

Paul Hartley is interesting. His star was rising till things went south at Dundee, I don't think things went right for him at Falkirk either. 

I'd certainly be more open to Hartley than McCann who was a complete disaster at Dundee (IMO). Although I don't think either are the right choice. 

Consistency is what matters. If the previous season Levein had got us into europe and finished 3rd after winning the Championship at a canter then yeah sure i'd be suggesting him as a possible candidate. 

The bottom line is managerwise we need to make a change. My suggestion is based on Davies refusing to work under Levein coupled with failing to secure a manager during that round of interviews suggesting that may be an issue. If Budge won't remove Levein from the equation, and any manager of note won't work under him then the calibre of manager we can potentially get isn't going to be AAA, invariably its likely that any successor will probably know Levein well which off the top of my head leaves, Houston, Hartley, McCann, Daly, MacPhee or Neilson.. possibly Pressley too. Of that Neilson is the best on that list given Pressley splits the support... aggressively. 

If you have a suggestion that you believe works around the Levein issue, I'd love to hear it?

His star was rising and he was quite unlucky to be sacked by Dundee, his approach is bang on football wise (Dundee played some good stuff despite their very small budget and he recruited well) and his enthusiasm hasn't changed since he quit from what I've seen, I'd love to see him in our dugout one day.