..... But who?

EasternRossco

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, stirlo said:

It's surprising that apart from Sunderland and Rangers, no-one has - publicly at least - looked at McInnes. You get the impression he feels he's taken the dons as far as he can - and from what I've heard there are surprisingly quite a few dons fans who seem to feel the same way.

They're in the 80's

They expect the Champions League

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• rudi must stay

• graygo

• EasternRossco

Top Posters In This Topic

Selkirkhmfc1874

If and when Craig levein leaves there will be a long list of managers wanting the job ! Heart of midlothian is a huge pull 

16 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If and when Craig levein leaves there will be a long list of managers wanting the job ! Heart of midlothian is a huge pull 

Correct but the list of applicants would be reduced were CL still to be involved in any capacity whether it be on the board or as DOF.

Total split required.

4 hours ago, BervieJambo said:

I think and hope Levein will move back upstairs at the end of the season. To me that leaves us 5 choices as to where to look next...

1) the conveyor belt - Daly, MacPhee, Kirk or even bringing back Neilson or Crawford

2) the novice - Naismith, Berra, Fletcher. 

3) the ex-player - with some managerial experience but mixed results- Hartley, McCann, Johnston, Pressley, Naysmith, Robbo, Weir

4) experienced in Scottish football - Robinson, Holt or (dare I say it) Strachan 

5) out of work English/foreign manager looking for a break - Moore, Rowett, Wagner, Appleton, Darren Ferguson

Going down the 1, 2 or even 3 route would have Levein involved in first team affairs to some extent. With 4 or 5 he can concentrate on the Academy & bigger picture which I think would be better.

There’s lots of potential candidates out there, not including the unrealistic options such as Clarke or O’Neill, so we should be able to identify someone who can take us to the next level.

Personally, I would be going for someone like Darren Moore, as I think that would give us a freshness we need. It’s not without risk, but no management appointment is.

Alternatively, if we want to play it safe (and with a tin hat securely in place) I’d go for Gordon Stachan. He would have to work very hard to win over the fans, but you know exactly what his team would give you.

Expensive though. Big salary required and these guys typically come with their own, expensive, back room team. Think I remember Sam A had something like 20 in his back room team at one  point. 

If we go english or foreign needs to be more at the level that the wee team recruited from. League 1 or 2 

Selkirkhmfc1874
13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Correct but the list of applicants would be reduced were CL still to be involved in any capacity whether it be on the board or as DOF.

Total split required.

Agree ! As we seen with Billy Davies, thankfully that didn't come off tho but the point remains any manager worth there salt want his own people and to do the job his way

Nelly Terraces
23 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Levein to be the director of the academy,not a DoF.

Get a manager in to manage.

Get the best we can afford.

One that doesnt shit his pants in Glasgow.

This all day long. Especially point 1, which is crucial - Craig Levein should absolutely NOT be a DoF but Academy Director only. That way we can have a decent manager come in & be given the autonomy to do their own thing. It's arguable that a club the size of Hearts doesn't even need a DoF at all.

Personally speaking:

Levein or 1 of his cast of backroom goons is in charge next season = as per this seaon, no season ticket.

New manager with fresh ideas = Take My Money!!

3 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

That’s what will probably happen - levein will go back upstairs rather than us finish with the dof structure 

personally I wouldn’t be adverse to Naismith getting the gig - he knows the game and even although he doesn’t have any experience we could possibly bring in some experience as a No2 to assist him ?

i would like this appointment in all honesty - just have a feeling it would work well for us 

I wouldn’t either except that player/manager roles rarely work. Would we gain more as a manager than we would lose as a player? 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Would love a manager like that but he'll be massively out of our price range. Even at Huddersfield I reckon he'd have been on well in excess of a million per year. Maybe we could look to Germany for an up and coming manager or assistant coach.

Double what you say I think re salary. 

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

Ian Holloway also out of work .....

That would be an entertaining few weeks or maybe months. 

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

There are plenty up and coming managers in lower leagues in England. Olly Lee’s ex manager being one who unfortunately now has gone onto bigger and better things. Michael Flynn at Newport is one I’ve always thought should be at a bigger club but where he is may suit his family life. Could someone like Lee Bowyer be tempted if Charlton don’t go up, Grant McCann at Doncaster is another one who is doing really well with the resources he has. You’ve then got guys like Ryan Lowe or Kevin Nolan who are doing decent jobs with the resources they have. Paul Hurst has a decent record as a manager but chose poorly when he took over at Ipswich. There are guys out there who may be interested in the job if we’re prepared to look.

Hibs last 3 appointments have come from left field and have all been pretty decent. Who would have thought that Killie could get someone like Clarke.

We need to cast the net a bit further than ex players or someone who knows the Scottish game. 

Killie got Clarke because he is schoolboy chum and best mates with Billy Bowie. 

HeartofHartley

If Levein is to go he should go all together. I can only hope he does but my source as well as the media tells me he is already planning for next season. Arrogant clown.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
55 minutes ago, stirlo said:

It's surprising that apart from Sunderland and Rangers, no-one has - publicly at least - looked at McInnes. You get the impression he feels he's taken the dons as far as he can - and from what I've heard there are surprisingly quite a few dons fans who seem to feel the same way.

He got loads of money at Bristol city and almost relegated them. Lee Johnson is doing far better than McInnes.

Walter Bishop
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Berra fits your bill as well as does Naismith. 

Yeah both do, Have they done coaching badges?

Still think we need someone with no ties to the club though.  

Walter Bishop
39 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Gary Holt can organise a team.

A large part of Livingston`s success is down to their number 2. And that`s straight from the owners mouth.

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

Yeah both do, Have they done coaching badges?

Still think we need someone with no ties to the club though.  

Both doing them. Berra further advanced atm 

41 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Maybe ask David Hopkins why he is no longer at Livi. Then you will find out how big a role Holt has. 

Walter Bishop
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe ask David Hopkins why he is no longer at Livi. Then you will find out how big a role Holt has. 

Just posted the same 3 posts back! 

45 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Seriously this would be a no no for me. The football would still be awful but we would probably get a few more results.

I think we need to go abroad with someone, possibly one of the current set up who knows the league and players as assistant. Think going abroad/England is the only way we get a manager who isn't afraid of the arse cheeks. Possibly a Scottish former player who has managed down south. This job is not for novices.

Gordon Strachan is as annoying as Ian Holloway and is also Hibs and as set in his ways as CL. There are a load of decent young managers with fresh ideas. Lets ave one of them.

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Hopkin got booted by Bradford. 1 in 7 win rate.

If we're looking at folk coming through in Scotland What about Steven Ferguson at Ross county . 

Young up and coming manager  hearts fan ( not that it matters much  but would maybe help persuade him if we want for him . 

Has experience of working with youth academy so would likely be  willing to promote youngsters and give them a chance ,which seems like the road we're trying to go down .

I've no way of knowing if he'll be a successful manager but he's got off to no a bad start in his first job all be it he's joint manager 

52 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

If Levein is to go he should go all together. I can only hope he does but my source as well as the media tells me he is already planning for next season. Arrogant clown.

How is it arrogant to plan for next season? The man is our manager until told different, he should be planning for next season.

For me the new manager must reflect the progressive nature of HMFC as a modern inclusive club, this being the case then Alex Scott will most definitely get my vote.

rudi must stay
44 minutes ago, graygo said:

How is it arrogant to plan for next season? The man is our manager until told different, he should be planning for next season.

Well said

If he wasn't it would be lazy management.

Not as if he's a dictator either 

When he does go he will have to give up the DoF or everytime we get beat it will be his fault on here. It will be back to Nelson/ Cathro where the media and our own support won't let the Levein factor go. 

Who's picking the team, who's choosing the players blah, blah,blah

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

Hopkin got booted by Bradford. 1 in 7 win rate.

Neither Holt nor Hopkins have actually been No.1 at Livi somit doesnt matter. 

32 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

When he does go he will have to give up the DoF or everytime we get beat it will be his fault on here. It will be back to Nelson/ Cathro where the media and our own support won't let the Levein factor go. 

But he, and Budge, probably don’t care what’s on here. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Double what you say I think re salary. 

Well, exactly. However I wonder what he was on when Huddersfield recruited him? Perhaps that where we should be looking.

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well, exactly. However I wonder what he was on when Huddersfield recruited him? Perhaps that where we should be looking.

Maybe. Dortmund reserves I think. 

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

But he, and Budge, probably don’t care what’s on here. 

Neither should they, it was more a dig at the media and our support.

Cruyff Turn

A foreign coach that isn’t Paulo Sergio.  Not a Spanish or Portuguese coach either because those styles just don’t fit Scottish Football. 

A German coach perhaps. Daniel Stendel at Barnsley, someone like him. Maybe even a Scandinavian? ?‍♂️

Please not anyone previously associated with Hearts, that’s a recipe for disaster.

Mark Robins at Coventry is a good coach. 

Always thought we we should have went for Stephen Kenny from Dundalk after we punted Cathro but he’s the next Ireland manager, so too late. 

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

John Murray is an absolute disgrace and should have been sacked years ago. 

Absolutely 

HeartofHartley
17 hours ago, graygo said:

It's not that which is arrogant, it is himself that is arrogant for not changing his ways no matter how many people slate him and tell him otherwise.

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Or Levein continues to recruit someone in his own image and we end up in the same situation anyway.

After all, the DoF is always going to appoint someone who shares a similar philosophy.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Hibs are proof that there are good unknown managers out there.  Dinosaurs need not apply.

A bit early in his tenure to be making that claim is it not?

I'll wait and see.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'll wait and see.

Possibly but it is certaily too far into Levein's managerial career to think he will turn this round. Levein is not going to get any better.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Possibly but it is certaily too far into Levein's managerial career to think he will turn this round. Levein is not going to get any better.

Yes that is a probably rather than a possibly, a definitely to most folk.

This latest period of petulance comes about due to a damn few protesting "Neilson oot". They drove him out of the club quicker than Brenda out of Celtic.

The old adage goes "careful what you wish for." Those that wished Neilson gone, got their wish in Nov 2016 but  ended up with the useless Cathro as Robbie's replacement. Sublime to the ridiculous.  A bit like Rix replacing Burley in Nov 2005 then Valdas replacing Rix soon after. Like Rix, Cathro should never have happened.  I doubt there was a selection process following Cathro's departure.  One candidate only to steady the ship. 

Would Mrs Budge accept not going through a selection process in 2019? I suspect not, but we are where we are. Football supporters are by nature fickle but Hearts' supporters are maybe the ficklest.  After Burley there were 10 managers/head coaches in 7 years until Paulo Sergio. I have a feeling we will end up going down a similar path apres-Levein. 

But the club must do something.

51 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

This latest period of petulance comes about due to a damn few protesting "Neilson oot". They drove him out of the club quicker than Brenda out of Celtic.

The old adage goes "careful what you wish for." Those that wished Neilson gone, got their wish in Nov 2016 but  ended up with the useless Cathro as Robbie's replacement. Sublime to the ridiculous.  A bit like Rix replacing Burley in Nov 2005 then Valdas replacing Rix soon after. Like Rix, Cathro should never have happened.  I doubt there was a selection process following Cathro's departure.  One candidate only to steady the ship. 

Would Mrs Budge accept not going through a selection process in 2019? I suspect not, but we are where we are. Football supporters are by nature fickle but Hearts' supporters are maybe the ficklest.  After Burley there were 10 managers/head coaches in 7 years until Paulo Sergio. I have a feeling we will end up going down a similar path apres-Levein. 

First three paras excellent. Not sure about fourth. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Neilson drove himself out of the club: all the way to Milton Keynes, where he hoped to do a good enough job there to be picked up by a bigger club in the Championship and, ultimately, manage in the EPL.

I think it is Robbie who must be having regrets about that now, not us fans.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

I'll wait and see.

Agreed. I knew not a lot about him and thought he'd been a failure in the Championship/League 1 in England. It wasn't that straight forward though and the most striking thing for me on his CV was that he got a degree and a master in sports coaching in his mid 30's.  

Coaching is changing, there are a lot of new ideas out there and it feels like Levein isn't able to adapt to these changes. There just seems to be so many bad signings, inept performances and poor tactical decisions. He can prove us all wrong but I think its unlikely that he will.

On 07/04/2019 at 00:09, EasternRossco said:

For the record, my shout would be Darren Fletcher. Out there I know but we are a big enough club to tempt him for a first managerial attempt and I think he's a Scotland manager in waiting. 

Interesting...

I think we should keep Levein, dump 15 of our worst players in the summer and sign 17 new ones who are just as bad.

Worth a try.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I'd rule out any up and coming young coach with potential 

I'd go for somebody who has a few seasons behind them, not wanting another experiment 

Seymour M Hersh
On 07/04/2019 at 17:57, thewiseone said:

For me the new manager must reflect the progressive nature of HMFC as a modern inclusive club, this being the case then Alex Scott will most definitely get my vote.

Just your vote? :oohmatron:

It just makes me sad that for whatever reason we let Jack Ross slip through our fingers. 

I think he has something about him.