• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• rudi must stay

• graygo

• EasternRossco

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, OTT said:

Paul Hartley is interesting. His star was rising till things went south at Dundee, I don't think things went right for him at Falkirk either. 

I'd certainly be more open to Hartley than McCann who was a complete disaster at Dundee (IMO). Although I don't think either are the right choice. 

Consistency is what matters. If the previous season Levein had got us into europe and finished 3rd after winning the Championship at a canter then yeah sure i'd be suggesting him as a possible candidate. 

The bottom line is managerwise we need to make a change. My suggestion is based on Davies refusing to work under Levein coupled with failing to secure a manager during that round of interviews suggesting that may be an issue. If Budge won't remove Levein from the equation, and any manager of note won't work under him then the calibre of manager we can potentially get isn't going to be AAA, invariably its likely that any successor will probably know Levein well which off the top of my head leaves, Houston, Hartley, McCann, Daly, MacPhee or Neilson.. possibly Pressley too. Of that Neilson is the best on that list given Pressley splits the support... aggressively. 

If you have a suggestion that you believe works around the Levein issue, I'd love to hear it?

Easy, extend his contract by 5 years and tell he's in total charge of all footballing activities within the club.

ps, What is Davies up to now? Surely at a successful club but I can't say I've heard anything.

Edited by graygo

If Craig Levein is relieved of his team managerial duties or resigns from them, then we and Ann (unless she wants to join him) must be strong and resist the temptation to allow him a return to the role of DOF, a situation we neither want organisationally nor financially. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure about him continuing as a board member in these circumstances. Testing times ahead folks.

Edited by JohnB

2 minutes ago, JohnB said:

If Craig Levein is relieved of his team managerial duties or resigns from them, then we and Ann (unless she wants to join him) must be strong and resist the temptation to allow him a return to the role of DOF, a situation we neither want organisationally nor financially. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure about him continuing as a board member in these circumstances. Testing times ahead folks.

Another poll I missed, why does this keep happening?

I'll make my own mind up thanks.

Arthur Morgan
11 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Steve Robinson got Motherwell to two cup finals last season. I like his style 

Good shout and one of the more realistic ones. 

Mp pick is that we will stay close to home and Gary Holt will be the successful candidate.

It should have been ten
12 hours ago, Alan_R said:

This is one of the issues for me. Whole backroom staff needs an overhaul from the many coaches through to the scouting set up.

I find the "go on then, name someone" argument a bit strange. We're not Hamilton. We are a sizable capital city club with good resources (for our level) and european potential. In the modern age of the internet i can't imagine us not getting some interesting applicants. 

John Murray should be the first to go. How he’s lasted in the job so long is staggering. He’s shite at it.

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, Mort said:

I think we need a new manager long term but the reactions to today’s defeat are embarrassing. Hardly Leveins fault that we can’t put the ball in the net. Seen so many comments about the style of football but to me we actually tried to play the right way rather than resort to punting it up the park. 

Totally agree, how anyone can blame Levein for that defeat is embarrassing. Easy to say “Well he signed the shite players”, on his day Djoum’s hardly a shite player but he missed the 2 open goals - not Levein. 

Got to laugh at the new manager suggestions...ffs we could have Pep Guardiola in charge and the usual torn faced residents would still be unhappy! There’s just no pleasing some. 

It should have been ten
48 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Mp pick is that we will stay close to home and Gary Holt will be the successful candidate.

How so, when Craig’s already said he’s going nowhere ?

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We constantly punted it up the park. It was tynecastle you were at I take it??

I was at Tynecastle yesterday and the constant punting up the park is a lie. What game were you at??

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, andy65 said:

Only comment i’ll make. Whatever happened to patience? Not interested in Europe too many serious injuries this season, these players need end of season rest. As for Levein it’s always season 3 before you recognise change , he’s got the spine in Soutar, Berra, Halkett, Uche, hopefully Naismith and Haring , Mulraney looks as though he may turn good , young players coming through and a bit of flair to be added — he did so with us first time (after loads of cost cutting) and Utd (allowed to spend there) , too many fans have no patience and oh so reactive to negative results. Sometimes you need to hold your nerve for the long term !! We were the better side today but didn’t do enough with what we had , that’s football, that happens . 

Message to self on this board - prepare to be slaughtered ? over and oot 

Very well said ??

....and aye, prepare to be slaughtered lol 

Edited by It should have been ten

Jambof3tornado
51 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

I was at Tynecastle yesterday and the constant punting up the park is a lie. What game were you at??

How many times did we pass it through the midfield compared to how many balls were lobbed towards Uche??

We punted it up the park mostly.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Gary Holt is a puppet at Livingston, Dave Martindale ( convicted drug dealer) is the guy who pulls the strings

Levein will leave the dugout next season, but will remain DOF.

The Head Coach role will be given to Berra.

Dougie Freedman

Guides Crystal Palace out of the relegation zone, next season beats Manchester Utd in cup and takes them to play off places.

Left for Bolton where he won five in a row for the first time since 2006 in the late push for promotion, taking the club from 20th to 7th. Kept Bolton mid table next season despite chaos off field, left by mutual consent year after.

Admittedly struggled at Forest but was working under a transfer embargo and is currently sporting director of Palace who seem to be doing quite well last few years in premier league.

IIRC was interested in the Hearts job after Cathro left.

The only manager we would get is a young English manager that nobody has heard of and hope he does a good job. We can't afford anyone decent. Why would McInnes or Clarke come here ? 

Whoever we end up with best understand our support is full unrealistic, spoilt, expectant who will chase a manger out if we don't play like Barca every week.

Freedman allegedly already rejected the offer of the job to become Palaces sporting director though.

I very much doubt he’s going to now leave that role to join us.

(I think he’d have been an excellent appointment, fwiw)

Walter Bishop
8 hours ago, EasternRossco said:

For the record, my shout would be Darren Fletcher. Out there I know but we are a big enough club to tempt him for a first managerial attempt and I think he's a Scotland manager in waiting. 

Exactly the type of appointment we should be looking at. Someone with recent experience of the game, played at the highest level and with the hope of using us as a stepping stone for a bigger job. Ive said before i would like to have seen us try and get Jody Morris when Cathro was appointed.  

16 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Lee Johnson if he doesn’t get Bristol City promoted or Ian Holloway

Lee has done great at the Robins. I'd be happy if however unlikely he does return to Tynecastle in a Head Coach role.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

Gary Holt is a puppet at Livingston, Dave Martindale ( convicted drug dealer) is the guy who pulls the strings

Spot on ! I sit right at away dugout and its martindale who decides substitutions etc , holt only there because he's got the coaching badges and what you say is exactly reason Kenny Miller left

3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

How many times did we pass it through the midfield compared to how many balls were lobbed towards Uche??

We did not !

We played some good stuff especially in the first half.

We lost our way slightly in the second half but still done enough to make chances.

The game should have been out of sight by half time.

People are getting upset because we lost the Derby but this is one game that 

is down to the players not the manager.

Hibs put in a typical away performance using their pace to hit on the break effectively. 

9 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

If Clarke wouldnt want it - probably the case - then I'd go for McInnes. 

Yes, he has turned down Rangers, Sunderland, WBA just waiting for us to make him an offer. 

17 hours ago, andy65 said:

Only comment i’ll make. Whatever happened to patience? Not interested in Europe too many serious injuries this season, these players need end of season rest. As for Levein it’s always season 3 before you recognise change , he’s got the spine in Soutar, Berra, Halkett, Uche, hopefully Naismith and Haring , Mulraney looks as though he may turn good , young players coming through and a bit of flair to be added — he did so with us first time (after loads of cost cutting) and Utd (allowed to spend there) , too many fans have no patience and oh so reactive to negative results. Sometimes you need to hold your nerve for the long term !! We were the better side today but didn’t do enough with what we had , that’s football, that happens . 

Message to self on this board - prepare to be slaughtered ? over and oot 

Great post. Pretty close to where I’m at. Spine has pretty much signed on for next season, couple still to go. He is looking for creative players, exactly what’s needed. If he gets the cash to get the right level of creative player we will have a good squad. But for five or six shocking results this season we would be in a pretty good place albeit style of play needs to be improved. 

The reaction on this forum to a defeat by Hibs in a game we clearly dominated and beat ourselves is staggering. Not for the first time either. I thought yesterday was the first time we have really dominated Hibs in a game for quite a few years. 

And im ready for the slaughter as well!!!!

5 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No we didn’t. We played it out from the back most of the game. It was getting frustrating because we lost our urgency as a result 

2 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Dougie Freedman

Guides Crystal Palace out of the relegation zone, next season beats Manchester Utd in cup and takes them to play off places.

Left for Bolton where he won five in a row for the first time since 2006 in the late push for promotion, taking the club from 20th to 7th. Kept Bolton mid table next season despite chaos off field, left by mutual consent year after.

Admittedly struggled at Forest but was working under a transfer embargo and is currently sporting director of Palace who seem to be doing quite well last few years in premier league.

IIRC was interested in the Hearts job after Cathro left.

Don’t think so. He used our vacancy and agent/media speculation to force Palace into making a quick decision re their Sporting Director role. His salary in current role will be two to three times what we are able to pay. 

3 hours ago, Tenor said:

Levein will leave the dugout next season, but will remain DOF.

The Head Coach role will be given to Berra.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. He is in a rush to finish his badges. 

2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Exactly the type of appointment we should be looking at. Someone with recent experience of the game, played at the highest level and with the hope of using us as a stepping stone for a bigger job. Ive said before i would like to have seen us try and get Jody Morris when Cathro was appointed.  

Berra fits your bill as well as does Naismith. 

BervieJambo

I think and hope Levein will move back upstairs at the end of the season. To me that leaves us 5 choices as to where to look next...

1) the conveyor belt - Daly, MacPhee, Kirk or even bringing back Neilson or Crawford

2) the novice - Naismith, Berra, Fletcher. 

3) the ex-player - with some managerial experience but mixed results- Hartley, McCann, Johnston, Pressley, Naysmith, Robbo, Weir

4) experienced in Scottish football - Robinson, Holt or (dare I say it) Strachan 

5) out of work English/foreign manager looking for a break - Moore, Rowett, Wagner, Appleton, Darren Ferguson

Going down the 1, 2 or even 3 route would have Levein involved in first team affairs to some extent. With 4 or 5 he can concentrate on the Academy & bigger picture which I think would be better.

There’s lots of potential candidates out there, not including the unrealistic options such as Clarke or O’Neill, so we should be able to identify someone who can take us to the next level.

Personally, I would be going for someone like Darren Moore, as I think that would give us a freshness we need. It’s not without risk, but no management appointment is.

Alternatively, if we want to play it safe (and with a tin hat securely in place) I’d go for Gordon Stachan. He would have to work very hard to win over the fans, but you know exactly what his team would give you.

20 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Naismith player manager, levien back up stairs

That’s what will probably happen - levein will go back upstairs rather than us finish with the dof structure 

personally I wouldn’t be adverse to Naismith getting the gig - he knows the game and even although he doesn’t have any experience we could possibly bring in some experience as a No2 to assist him ?

i would like this appointment in all honesty - just have a feeling it would work well for us 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Great post. Pretty close to where I’m at. Spine has pretty much signed on for next season, couple still to go. He is looking for creative players, exactly what’s needed. If he gets the cash to get the right level of creative player we will have a good squad. But for five or six shocking results this season we would be in a pretty good place albeit style of play needs to be improved. 

The reaction on this forum to a defeat by Hibs in a game we clearly dominated and beat ourselves is staggering. Not for the first time either. I thought yesterday was the first time we have really dominated Hibs in a game for quite a few years. 

And im ready for the slaughter as well!!!!

?

maroonnicky63

.I would keep Levein because I don’t think there is anyone better than him out there at the moment and he will be hurting as much as us , as I said in another post, careful what you wish for 

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, maroonnicky63 said:

.I would keep Levein because I don’t think there is anyone better than him out there at the moment and he will be hurting as much as us , as I said in another post, careful what you wish for 

Freedman might be better 

But I reckon we would need to be patient with him, to allow him to build a young team that play in his style

Seymour M Hersh
21 hours ago, heyjude1 said:

Steve Clarke would be my choice but feel he will have his sights on something bigger than us unfortunately

As he was recently quoted as saying he had unfinished business down south I would tend to agree. 

Seymour M Hersh
21 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Wonder if he could get David Wagner.

He could do well

Would love a manager like that but he'll be massively out of our price range. Even at Huddersfield I reckon he'd have been on well in excess of a million per year. Maybe we could look to Germany for an up and coming manager or assistant coach.

2 hours ago, BervieJambo said:

I think and hope Levein will move back upstairs at the end of the season. To me that leaves us 5 choices as to where to look next...

1) the conveyor belt - Daly, MacPhee, Kirk or even bringing back Neilson or Crawford

2) the novice - Naismith, Berra, Fletcher. 

3) the ex-player - with some managerial experience but mixed results- Hartley, McCann, Johnston, Pressley, Naysmith, Robbo, Weir

4) experienced in Scottish football - Robinson, Holt or (dare I say it) Strachan 

5) out of work English/foreign manager looking for a break - Moore, Rowett, Wagner, Appleton, Darren Ferguson

Going down the 1, 2 or even 3 route would have Levein involved in first team affairs to some extent. With 4 or 5 he can concentrate on the Academy & bigger picture which I think would be better.

There’s lots of potential candidates out there, not including the unrealistic options such as Clarke or O’Neill, so we should be able to identify someone who can take us to the next level.

Personally, I would be going for someone like Darren Moore, as I think that would give us a freshness we need. It’s not without risk, but no management appointment is.

Alternatively, if we want to play it safe (and with a tin hat securely in place) I’d go for Gordon Stachan. He would have to work very hard to win over the fans, but you know exactly what his team would give you.

Ian Holloway also out of work .....

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Ian Holloway also out of work .....

Just waiting for the call to go back to QPR.

21 hours ago, Five to One said:

Great shout. Plenty still to prove and Klopp style of management. Could we afford him though? Even at Huddersfield he would have been on good wages. 

No danger would he come to us.

14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Just waiting for the call to go back to QPR.

Yep, to replace the man who replaced him! Funny old game eh

merseyjambo

There are plenty up and coming managers in lower leagues in England. Olly Lee’s ex manager being one who unfortunately now has gone onto bigger and better things. Michael Flynn at Newport is one I’ve always thought should be at a bigger club but where he is may suit his family life. Could someone like Lee Bowyer be tempted if Charlton don’t go up, Grant McCann at Doncaster is another one who is doing really well with the resources he has. You’ve then got guys like Ryan Lowe or Kevin Nolan who are doing decent jobs with the resources they have. Paul Hurst has a decent record as a manager but chose poorly when he took over at Ipswich. There are guys out there who may be interested in the job if we’re prepared to look.

Hibs last 3 appointments have come from left field and have all been pretty decent. Who would have thought that Killie could get someone like Clarke.

We need to cast the net a bit further than ex players or someone who knows the Scottish game. 

Edited by merseyjambo

Mr Elwood P
20 hours ago, kila said:

Good shout

How is David Wagner a good shout? His next job will be EPL or Bundesliga. This is half the problem, folk just don’t have any grasp on reality. We’re not going to get a Moyes or Wagner. Absolute fantasy.

Famous 1874
10 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

John Murray should be the first to go. How he’s lasted in the job so long is staggering. He’s shite at it.

John Murray is an absolute disgrace and should have been sacked years ago. 

Famous 1874

Derek McInnes sounds like he is gagging for the job. Consistently praising the fans and atmosphere.

Steve Clarke, Michael Appleton or Steven Robinson are a few other names.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Derek McInnes sounds like he is gagging for the job. Consistently praising the fans and atmosphere.

Steve Clarke, Michael Appleton or Steven Robinson are a few other names.

This is true

Although McInnes is a slippery bloke who probably just said that to justify the loss in his head

9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

This is true

Although McInnes is a slippery bloke who probably just said that to justify the loss in his head

It's surprising that apart from Sunderland and Rangers, no-one has - publicly at least - looked at McInnes. You get the impression he feels he's taken the dons as far as he can - and from what I've heard there are surprisingly quite a few dons fans who seem to feel the same way.