Roads in Edinburgh

Boof

Holy ****ing moly - how do you guys stay sane driving in Edinburgh?

Coming down from Aiberdeen yesterday - without SatNav...mistake! - I thought I knew how to get into my destination - St Peter's Place (aka Viewforth) once I'd got my way to Gorgie.

Came in the A90 instead of the M 90, 9, 8, Calder Road route...and won't be doing that again!

The number of signs that promised City Centre for light vehicles and roads that insisted No right turn - when all I wanted to do was make a right turn was doing my head in! But that's not what I've come on to gripe about.

The number of wee roads that I managed to find myself on and big ones too that are absolutely falling to bits was shocking - no wonder that Kwik Fit guy is minted. And parking...FFS don't even mention it! Half an hour drittling around trying to find somewhere to leave a van for a couple of hours...and that ****ing pay by phone parking shite. 

Anyway - it was only a flying visit Lerwick-Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Lerwick in 36 hours with driving so no time for pinting :(

But I did manage to see our new stand from the outside in all its glory. And a visit to the shop, so not an entire waste of a trip. And a new set of wheels.

But Jeezo - for a capital city...they're certainly doing all they can to discourage car use!

10 minutes ago, Boof said:

But Jeezo - for a capital city...they're certainly doing all they can to discourage car use!

That's what they want, nobody to use cars in the city.

1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

That's what they want, nobody to use cars in the city.

City centre I can understand - not all over the fecking place!!!

Gorgie -> Dundee St -> Yeaman Pl/Polwarth Cres -> Gilmore place ->Left turn on to St Peters Place at the church. Simples! Duff Sat Nav methinks.

Regularly in at Astley Ainsley with the Mrs and driving in from the Bypass is just awful. The condition of some of the roads en route are atrocious and must do serious damage to anyone in the areas with cars that use them all the time.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Regularly in at Astley Ainsley with the Mrs and driving in from the Bypass is just awful. The condition of some of the roads en route are atrocious and must do serious damage to anyone in the areas with cars that use them all the time.

The roads in Edinburgh have cost me 2 new tyres in 2 months. 

3 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

Gorgie -> Dundee St -> Yeaman Pl/Polwarth Cres -> Gilmore place ->Left turn on to St Peters Place at the church. Simples! Duff Sat Nav methinks.

Or continue along Dundee street and turn right at the traffic lights at the bottom of Viewforth and drive up to St Peters Place, over the canal bridge.

48 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

No SatNav was the problem!

And being unable to get off West Approach Road until I turned around in a hotel car park and made it back to Angle Park Terrace, knowing that I needed to get back up Henderson Terrace. Right turn onto Ardmillan Terrace, get to the bottom and...No right turn.

****! Along Dalry Rd, 3 point turn in the backstreets of Orwell Place or Terrace or something then back to Henderson where I took a left from Dalry not knowing if I was allowed to or not and then missed the Viewforth turn so it was another 3 point turn up some dead end street and finally back to my destination. then half an hour of footering around - made it as far as Bruntsfield Place :lol: - trying to find a non-permit holders space. Finally got one in Yeaman Place just down from the Golden Rule where I had a most enjoyable evening on 19th May 2012 :D 

Phew - I'm sweating reliving it! Never did much driving in Edinburgh as a student but had a motorbike - no hassle parking that thing!

1 hour ago, Boof said:

And being unable to get off West Approach Road until I turned around in a hotel car park and made it back to Angle Park Terrace, knowing that I needed to get back up Henderson Terrace. Right turn onto Ardmillan Terrace, get to the bottom and...No right turn.

****! Along Dalry Rd, 3 point turn in the backstreets of Orwell Place or Terrace or something then back to Henderson where I took a left from Dalry not knowing if I was allowed to or not and then missed the Viewforth turn so it was another 3 point turn up some dead end street and finally back to my destination. then half an hour of footering around - made it as far as Bruntsfield Place :lol: - trying to find a non-permit holders space. Finally got one in Yeaman Place just down from the Golden Rule where I had a most enjoyable evening on 19th May 2012 :D 

Phew - I'm sweating reliving it! Never did much driving in Edinburgh as a student but had a motorbike - no hassle parking that thing!

Halfway down Ardmillan Terrace  you can nip into Ardmillan Place and take a right to go up Henderson Terrace.

16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Halfway down Ardmillan Terrace  you can nip into Ardmillan Place and take a right to go up Henderson Terrace.

I needed you yesterday! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Ignore that, its wrong.  Ardmillan place goes from Angle Park to Henderson. Though it sounds like you could have still used it.

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Ignore that, its wrong.  Ardmillan place goes from Angle Park to Henderson. Though it sounds like you could have still used it.

Well, whatever the layout I managed to make a monumental erse of it all :lol:

Going by the back of Fountain Park (if it's still called that) and knowing I wanted to be on Fountainbridge but also not wanting to end up on Lothian Rd...seethe central!

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, Boof said:

I’m guessing you turned around in the Sheraton ? Back along the west approach to the junction of angle park /Henderson terrace/ dundee street ?

Why didn’t you just turn right ? 

3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m guessing you turned around in the Sheraton ? Back along the west approach to the junction of angle park /Henderson terrace/ dundee street ?

Why didn’t you just turn right ? 

Are you allowed to?

If so then I must've imagined a 'No right turn sign as I'd been seeing them everywhere else :lol:

Any taxi drivers can rest assured I won't be joining them anytime soon :lol:

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

Are you allowed to?

If so then I must've imagined a 'No right turn sign as I'd been seeing them everywhere else :lol:

I think there is a no right turn sign but it might be telling you that you’re not allowed to turn right from Henderson Terrace onto Dalry road. Not surprising that’s confusing. 

9 minutes ago, Boof said:

Are you allowed to?

3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

I think there is a no right turn sign but it might be telling you that you’re not allowed to turn right from Henderson Terrace onto Dalry road. Not surprising that’s confusing. 

This one. Definitely not the clearest, still not 100% sure what it means sat looking at it never mind driving past.  :lol: 1888B9EA-8400-4C7F-9CFC-C5FC1FD904F3.thumb.jpeg.5bd474323a002dce7328363a7a6ef9cc.jpeg

13 minutes ago, gjcc said:

This one. Definitely not the clearest, still not 100% sure what it means sat looking at it never mind driving past.  :lol: 1888B9EA-8400-4C7F-9CFC-C5FC1FD904F3.thumb.jpeg.5bd474323a002dce7328363a7a6ef9cc.jpeg

The road markings show a left turn, as in your pic, and the other lane has an arrow for straight ahead.

3fingersreid
15 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That shows you how to get to dalry road from the west approach as there’s no right turn from Henderson terrace onto dalry road 

it is a confusing road sign tho 

Last thing I needed in a hire van was getting lifted for doing something daft!

Where's that pic? West Approach facing Diggers?

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, Boof said:

Last thing I needed in a hire van was getting lifted for doing something daft!

Where's that pic? West Approach facing Diggers?

Yep , right turn there and you’d have been heading in the right direction 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Yep , right turn there and you’d have been heading in the right direction 

D'Oh indeed :lol:

Ach, well - live and learn. Nobody lost a limb and I got there eventually and back to Aberdeen in time for the ferry.

That isn't the clearest signage, in my yokeltastic opinion :whistling:

3fingersreid
42 minutes ago, Boof said:

D'Oh indeed :lol:

Ach, well - live and learn. Nobody lost a limb and I got there eventually and back to Aberdeen in time for the ferry.

That isn't the clearest signage, in my yokeltastic opinion :whistling:

They signs are a nightmare , still gave you a nice wee tour of Gorgie and Dalry ??

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

They signs are a nightmare , still gave you a nice wee tour of Gorgie and Dalry ??

Still had to get down to McLeod St afterwards (and managed to get parked for free!) for a look at that beautiful new stand and a quick turn around the shop.

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Still had to get down to McLeod St afterwards (and managed to get parked for free!) for a look at that beautiful new stand and a quick turn around the shop.

57 minutes ago, Boof said:

If you missed anything, I'll bring it up next week. Will probably get you an A to Z anyway :D

luckyBatistuta

Think I seen you going round and round in circles Boof, boy did you look lost. Did you have a sticker on your door?

262C4CE6-356B-4B9E-A107-71B6570A2284.jpeg

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think I seen you going round and round in circles Boof, boy did you look lost. Did you have a sticker on your door?

The mark of the devil.

Private hire guys are all useless *****. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Herbert said:

The mark of the devil.

Private hire guys are all useless *****. 

Parasites 

10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol:

No, but I seemed to see plenty of them. 

3fingersreid
13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Touché ???

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Sure it wasn’t the same one?  :lol: 

:rofl:

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Touché ???

Couldn’t help myself