2019 US Masters

Disser Pointon

23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

What time does woods tee off today...UK time. 

Really hope he does well. Always more interesting when he is playing well and up there on the last day.

Yep.   Woods supercharges any event if he's in the mix.    I'm not sure he has a very low round in his armoury though.    Somebody will shoot a 65 at some point.     On those greens they'll face many, many clutch putts (4-12 footers).    Again I'm not sure Woods will be able to get enough of them.     Hope so though.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Maroon Sailor

• OBE

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tremendous 73 by 61 year old Sandy Lyle.    12 shots off your age round Augusta in The Masters is remarkable.     The guy he beat in the 1985 Open (Langer) is no mug either.   2 shots better thru 14. 

Edited by Victorian

55 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Tremendous 73 by 61 year old Sandy Lyle.    12 shots off your age round Augusta in The Masters is remarkable.     The guy he beat in the 1985 Open (Langer) is no mug either.   2 shots better thru 14. 

Lyle has a habit of scoring a decent Augusta opener. 

Might have money after round one with a little luck with Bryson De Chambeau

Got him each way at 28/1 and a little on first round leader as well...one player could finish level or beat him as I post this..... Brooks Koepka who has just hit a great drive on 18

also £2.50 e/w on Gary Woodland

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Lyle has a habit of scoring a decent Augusta opener. 

Should have put my 3.63 on him instead of Rory.

Woods and Mickleson rolling back the years. Hopefully the both have another low round today. 

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

In our wee family sporting bet I went for Rose and Casey. 

My clueless wife went for deChambeau and Koepka because she liked the look of them. 

Jesus wept. 

:lol:

I picked out 4, ended up backing 3.

The one I didn't back...Phil Mickelson. Cheers Phil.

Not sure what the placements were but nobody went really low and most of the field are quite compressed.   Maybe a mix of of easier and tricky placements.     I reckon one day they'll have most in the harder,  slopier areas.    Whoever scores well that day will be right up there.     

McIlroy was +2 but got to -1 before bogeying the last 2.     Typical McIlroy really.     But still in with a chance.    

There's bound to be someone who starts holing them from everywhere and they'll be hard to catch.

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Phil will blow up. Seen the size of him ? 

Haha. His record around there is superb, 15 top 10 finishes.

8 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

In our wee family sporting bet I went for Rose and Casey. 

My clueless wife went for deChambeau and Koepka because she liked the look of them. 

Jesus wept. 

You sure Jonno? the scoreboard would suggest a different story

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint. 

:vrface:

Ok we will see.

But I hope there will be a frank admission of your wife's superior golfing knowledge at the end of the tournament.:kirklol:

Just now, I P Knightley said:

When did they change the rules so that you can putt with the flag still in the hole?

No one told me!

Came into effect this year

Helping speed up play is the main point, making a bit of a difference at my local as players become aware of new rule

Putting with the stick in is the worst ever rules 'improvement'.       Mental.

Until it helps me of course.   

I've been thinking of taking golf up myself. Never played in my cream puff. Without starting a new thread what's the best way of doing it? 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I've been thinking of taking golf up myself. Never played in my cream puff. Without starting a new thread what's the best way of doing it? 

Driving range and start with 3 quarter swing to get the motions right (shoulder turn, wrist hinge)

Easy to want to start out by hitting a driver as far as you can, but power comes with loose wrists and swinging within your means (dinnae try and copy John Daly's technique unless you're trying to hit balls off tins of beer) 

Barack has pretty much said it.    Cheap set of bats.    Go and belt balls around at the driving range.    Take it from there.

Pretty heavyweight top 20 or so.   All in the hunt.    But Molinari vs Koepka shootout over 36 holes is an awesome prospect.     

15 minutes ago, Boof said:

Sandy likely to make the cut?

T68 at the moment.

Upon investigation I can answer this myself.

Unlikely ☹

Cut is set to top 50 + ties and those within 10 of the leader.

Sandy is sitting T66 and 11 off the lead. Bit of a scunner for him.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Start with pitch and putt. You'll soon realise this is where the good players make their scores. Bruntsfield Links will be suitable for this and Kings Acre has a few short practice holes too. 

Swanston has a 9 hole par 3 course which is good for getting familiar with a course. They are soon to open their own range too. 

I have Molinari and Fowler so pretty happy at the moment.

Plenty of top quality in this field and the weather is making it interesting.

10 hours ago, Barack said:

Think Rory needs to do a couple of practice rounds with the likes of Phil, Tiger, or a Bernhard Langer next year. 

Heid's gone again. Try again next year.

He's been that kind of mercurial,  enigmatic player for years.    Brilliant but fragile.    Over-tinkering could destroy his game.     

12 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

One piece of advice from a 13 handicapper. 

Don't take tips on technique from people like me. Go and see a pro, get some (2 or 3) actual lessons on the basics and stick to them. Every rank average golfer (like me) thinks they know it all, but you'd be amazed how simple a good teaching pro can make it, and how quickly they can improve your game. 

You're better to find out for yourself what kind of game you've got before going for lessons.    Mainly the grip.     Go and hit balls,   whether it be at the range or just chipping/pitching,   and see what the natural,   comfortable grip you're using is.     There are three grips (right pinkie interlock,   right pinkie overlap and baseball).    The first two are the most common but the baseball grip is a comfortable grip that may allow a new player the best chance to learn and improve.   I've used a baseball grip for 40 years.     

Go for lessons by all means but the grip should be your own,   whilst learning at least.    There's no point trying to learn an alien,   uncomfortable grip until you've advanced a bit.

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're better to find out for yourself what kind of game you've got before going for lessons.    Mainly the grip.     Go and hit balls,   whether it be at the range or just chipping/pitching,   and see what the natural,   comfortable grip you're using is.     There are three grips (right pinkie interlock,   right pinkie overlap and baseball).    The first two are the most common but the baseball grip is a comfortable grip that may allow a new player the best chance to learn and improve.   I've used a baseball grip for 40 years.     

Go for lessons by all means but the grip should be your own,   whilst learning at least.    There's no point trying to learn an alien,   uncomfortable grip until you've advanced a bit.

Universally known as the Vardon Grip. ? 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Universally known as the Vardon Grip. ? 

Yes.   But I'm thinking a newbie might not know wtf a Vardon is.   Or who Harry Vardon was.    

The Vardon is the overlap btw.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.   But I'm thinking a newbie might not know wtf a Vardon is.   Or who Harry Vardon was.    

The Vardon is the overlap btw.

?. I highlighted the wrong one. ?

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

?. I highlighted the wrong one. ?

I thought so.   Didn't want to create the impression it anything other than a mistake.    ?

Samuel Camazzola

Good to have Butch back this week. I've missed him looking down the camera and talking to me with his wisdom. 

9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I said a few years back that Woods would never win another major !

Hmmmm !

His comeback story is only bettered by two people. Muhammad Ali and George Formeaan. 

3-ball groups means Woods in the final group.    The whole dynamic changed because of the extra time it will take for groups to get round.    More going on for players to cope with.  Get distracted by.    Lots of players within a few shots.   

Molinari favourite for me.  

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

3-ball groups means Woods in the final group.    The whole dynamic changed because of the extra time it will take for groups to get round.    More going on for players to cope with.  Get distracted by.    Lots of players within a few shots.   

Molinari favourite for me.  

I think Mollinari will do it as well. Guys just a class golfer his all round game is just brilliant. Has the bottle for it as well.

29 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think Mollinari will do it as well. Guys just a class golfer his all round game is just brilliant. Has the bottle for it as well.

Reminds me of Padraig Harrington when he was at his best.    Mechanical swing,  slightly awkward looking but highly effective.    He had to work very hard to achieve a solid short game.    

Maroon Sailor

I hope the 3 ball groups doesn't affect the drama on Masters Sunday

Obviously going to be slower and more drawn out especially with that mechanical robot DeChambeau analysing things to death

Maroon Sailor

I'm pretty well clued up with the golf majors but never realised all 14 majors Tiger has won he has been leading going in to the final round.

Never won a major chasing from behind