Chernobyl the TV Series

jumpship

Really enjoying it. Couple of actors from itvs cleaning up that was on recently, guy from Friday night dinner too although couldn’t take him serious with his moustache, Paul Ritter I think his name is. Jared Harris is excellent as he was in the terror, from last year.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jumpship

• Cade

• luckyBatistuta

• jack D and coke

gashauskis9

Mega impressed with this, but it’s a tough watch.  I found the termination of all the pets tougher to stomach than what was happening to the humans!  Really does capture the torture and pain of the whole event, a masterpiece imo.

Haringshairband
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Mega impressed with this, but it’s a tough watch.  I found the termination of all the pets tougher to stomach than what was happening to the humans!  Really does capture the torture and pain of the whole event, a masterpiece imo.

All the dugs getting shot ?

Sexton Hardcastle

It’s amazing and quiet sad so many people (at least twitter idiots) don’t seem to know anything about this as if it’s brand new information. Maybe needs to be more teaching in high school about it. Such a huge event in our history.

Ibrahim Tall
1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

It’s amazing and quiet sad so many people (at least twitter idiots) don’t seem to know anything about this as if it’s brand new information. Maybe needs to be more teaching in high school about it. Such a huge event in our history.

Tbh i was born in ‘88 and even I can’t remember ever being ‘taught’ anything about Chernobyl, even in any of the science subjects. So I’d be surprised if any of the more recent and less affected generations are better informed about it at school.

Anything I learned about it as a kid was via my parents or myself. 

The Mighty Thor

The scene at the start with the old babooshka and the soldier was great. 

Shooting the dugs ?

The Internet
12 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

My mrs had never heard of it which I found mental. I'm sure it was brought up when I was in primary school or at least that's around the age when I first heard of it (born in 90). Couldn't believe there's folk who don't or didn't know about it but it seems more common than I thought. 

4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

My mrs had never heard of it which I found mental. I'm sure it was brought up when I was in primary school or at least that's around the age when I first heard of it (born in 90). Couldn't believe there's folk who don't or didn't know about it but it seems more common than I thought. 

I remember learning about Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the Shadows that were left behind. Never once did I hear about Chernobyl, had to find that information myself. 

You have to ask why this is not talked about in Schools? 

I've said this before on this thread but no one seems to care. 40 year old. Rusting nuclear subs 13 miles up the road from Tynecastle...

But nothing will ever happen.. not in the UK,  we are better than everyone else...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/747542/Nuclear-hazard-UK-as-1000-danger-incidents-reported/amp

N Lincs Jambo
37 minutes ago, jumpship said:

I remember learning about Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the Shadows that were left behind. Never once did I hear about Chernobyl, had to find that information myself. 

You have to ask why this is not talked about in Schools? 

I've said this before on this thread but no one seems to care. 40 year old. Rusting nuclear subs 13 miles up the road from Tynecastle...

But nothing will ever happen.. not in the UK,  we are better than everyone else...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/747542/Nuclear-hazard-UK-as-1000-danger-incidents-reported/amp

Yep, scary, very scary. And I say that as someone who was under 600 miles away when Chernobyl blew up.

On 29/05/2019 at 10:00, Ibrahim Tall said:

Tbh i was born in ‘88 and even I can’t remember ever being ‘taught’ anything about Chernobyl, even in any of the science subjects. So I’d be surprised if any of the more recent and less affected generations are better informed about it at school.

Anything I learned about it as a kid was via my parents or myself. 

Also born in '88 and like you, have absolutely zero fist-hand knowledge of the event but I'm amazed some people don't know about it. I can't remember whenever I first heard about it but I'm sure it did come up when we studied energy and nuclear energy specifically in primary school. 

That's actually quite mental to think about now, getting taught about nuclear power in primary school... We even got a tour of Torness. Feel like there was probably other stuff they should have been focusing on other than nuclear physics, even it is the most basic level.  

I’m probably well behind in this conversation so apologies. 

I remember when Chernobyl happened and there was talk for the fear of acid rain hitting Britain coming over from there. 

We’ve seen a rise in certain illnesses or the threat increase in recent times. You wonder if that has been the lasting effects from this?

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I remember when Chernobyl happened and there was talk for the fear of acid rain hitting Britain coming over from there. 

We’ve seen a rise in certain illnesses or the threat increase in recent times. You wonder if that has been the lasting effects from this?

Yep I wonder this too.  I was 8 when this happened and can remember us all doing projects at school on acid rain soon after.

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Yep I wonder this too.  I was 8 when this happened and can remember us all doing projects at school on acid rain soon after.

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We’ve seen a rise in certain illnesses or the threat increase in recent times. You wonder if that has been the lasting effects from 

The long-term health impacts of the 1986 disaster currently remain much in debate. Some experts have predicted around 4,000 will die from cancer caused by the incident, while a controversial study from the New York Academy of Sciencesestimated the death toll to be even higher and closer to one million.

Edited by jumpship

6 minutes ago, jumpship said:

The long-term health impacts of the 1986 disaster currently remain much in debate. Some experts have predicted around 4,000 will die from cancer caused by the incident, while a controversial study from the New York Academy of Sciencesestimated the death toll to be even higher and closer to one million.

The experts say while the chances of people recovering from cancer has doubled in Britain it’s now thought 1 in 2 people will suffer from it. It used to be 1 in 3. 

Some fantastic advances in curing disease but the threat may well be alot worse because of past events. 

It's very, very hard to guage how many deaths from cancer in the hundreds of thousands of people that worked on the clean-up of the plant are attributable to radiation exposure.

Many lived for decades before getting cancer.

There is constant debate on the death toll but one figure I heard that is almost accepted as average is 6,000.

Last episode tonight I believe. Finally bought into the hype and just watched the first 4 episodes back to back. Like a few others, I was thrown by the accents but by the second episode it was barely a concern considering the thought of how terrifyingly close to a full on global catastrophe this ended up. 

That fireman's wife though :phface:

A few weeks after the explosion at Chernobyl I was doing a job out by Cobbinshaw,the guy who owned the farm told me his Dad was a physicist.His old man told him that in the next 15-20 years we'd witness a large increase in cancer rates in the UK.I don't know the statistics but it'd seem he was spot on!

On the recommendation of someone earlier in this thread I've been listening to the Chernobyl podcast (definite recommend for more background on the series and the authenticity or sometimes creative authenticity of the details).

One question was posed but didn't have too much discussion on was "How different would it have been had a Chernobyl level incident happened in the USA"

One thing that does come across from the series is that it is very much a Soviet era event, the secrecy, the nature of the cover up, the fear of national humiliation, the ability to mobilise and implement the forced evacuation, the national sacrifice (and in many instances knowing self-sacrifice) of life and health to clean up and the sacrifice of Ukraine/Belarus to protect mother Russia.

Pure speculation but how would the USA have reacted? Clearly much more open and visible to media coverage, maybe it would still be bogged down in lengthy litigation, I can't imagine a comprehensive forced evacuation of an unwilling and armed civilian population, I would guess that USA would have invested far more successfully into technical solutions to the clean up.

Anyway, cracking programme.

http://news.sky.com/story/chernobyl-the-real-life-heroes-of-nuclear-disaster-watch-tv-hit-11734773

Chernobyl: The real-life heroes of nuclear disaster watch TV hit

Two former miners who tried to contain the leak at Chernobyl reflect after watching the hit TV series inspired by the disaster.

Edited by jumpship

7 hours ago, RobboM said:

On the recommendation of someone earlier in this thread I've been listening to the Chernobyl podcast (definite recommend for more background on the series and the authenticity or sometimes creative authenticity of the details).

One question was posed but didn't have too much discussion on was "How different would it have been had a Chernobyl level incident happened in the USA"

One thing that does come across from the series is that it is very much a Soviet era event, the secrecy, the nature of the cover up, the fear of national humiliation, the ability to mobilise and implement the forced evacuation, the national sacrifice (and in many instances knowing self-sacrifice) of life and health to clean up and the sacrifice of Ukraine/Belarus to protect mother Russia.

Pure speculation but how would the USA have reacted? Clearly much more open and visible to media coverage, maybe it would still be bogged down in lengthy litigation, I can't imagine a comprehensive forced evacuation of an unwilling and armed civilian population, I would guess that USA would have invested far more successfully into technical solutions to the clean up.

Anyway, cracking programme.

Would be good to see how the American authorities dealt with the 3 mile incident. 

Might answer your questions on how America would deal with a Chernobyl type disaster.  

28 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

For educational purposes.

30 years before the Chernobyl disaster there was the Kyshtym disaster (29 Sep. 1957) near the Ural Mountains. Third most serious nuclear accident; with even bigger impact on the nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

800px-Ostural-Spur.png

Zapovednik-610x259.jpg

Wow,  just wow!

Environmental concerns were not taken seriously during the early development stage. Initially Mayak was dumping high-level radioactive waste into a nearby river, which flowed to the river Ob, flowing farther down to the Arctic Ocean. All six reactors were on Lake Kyzyltash and used an open-cycle cooling system, discharging contaminated water directly back into the lake

Jamboelite
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

Just watched the last episode, absolutely brilliant. 

So powerful. 

Yup absolutely fantastic .

Just watched the last episode, absolutely brilliant. 

So powerful. 

The explanation in court of how the disaster happened was fascinating 

9 hours ago, red21 said:

I wonder if he actually used those props in real life or if that was purely for the benefit of us plebs watching the TV dramatisation. Either way I was grateful for them!

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I wonder if he actually used those props in real life or if that was purely for the benefit of us plebs watching the TV dramatisation. Either way I was grateful for them!

Just listened to the Chernobyl podcast episode on this. The props were an invention and indeed Legasov didn't testify but the scientific arguments were presented at trial. Brilliant piece of work though.

With that being a huge success for viewers, I wonder if they will look to do others man made disasters...

And if so, what?

Edited by jumpship

The Mighty Thor
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

That was brilliant TV.

Even I understood what was going on and it made the whole catalogue of **** ups very simple and clear. 

Cory McNamara
4 hours ago, jumpship said:

With that being a huge success for viewers, I wonder if they will look to do others man made disasters...

And if so, what?

30 years ago.

4 June 1989. Ufa train disaster.

"The Ufa train disaster was a railway accident that occurred on 4 June 1989, in Iglinsky District, Bashkir ASSR, Soviet Union, when an explosion killed 575 (or more) people and injured 800 more. It is the deadliest rail disaster in peacetime in the Soviet Union/Russia.

Many of the victims were families with children travelling to and from a holiday resort on the Black Sea."

In one of the Soviet Union's deadliest train accidents, a gas explosion ripped through two Kuybyshev Railway trains travelling near the city of Ufa, leaving hundreds of their 1,300 passengers injured or dead.

Gas had spilled out from a faulty pipeline near the railway, creating a highly flammable cloud in the path of the trains. As the trains passed each other, sparks from their wheels ignited the gas, causing a huge explosion.

The explosion erupted with a force equivalent to 10 kilotons of TNT, engulfing both trains in flames, according to a report by Sputnik news agency.

"At 1:15, two passenger trains of the Kuybyshev Railway carrying approximately 1,300 vacationers to and from Novosibirsk and a resort in Adler on the Black Sea exploded, 11 kilometres (6.8 miles) from the city of Asha, Chelyabinsk Oblast. Without anyone knowing, a faulty gas pipeline 900 metres (3,000 feet) from the line had leaked natural gas liquids (mainly propane and butane), and weather conditions allowed the gas to accumulate across the lowlands, creating a flammable cloud along part of the Kuybyshev Railway. The explosion occurred after wheel sparks from the two passenger trains heading in opposite directions ignited this flammable cloud. Estimates of the size of the explosion have ranged from 250–300 tons of TNT equivalent to up to 10,000 tons of TNT equivalent."

"The trial over the accident continued for six years, nine officials being charged. The charges were brought under Article 215, part II of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR, where the maximum penalty was five years imprisonment."

hqdefault.jpg

173109817_0:141:3000:1829_600x0_80_0_0_6

1b47388450ea61c346fd661b9c3c4523.jpg

ed9ea038089a964c63cd5601b4378324__1300x.

8D1ED9CD-5DE1-4636-AC31-749DEE16BC19_w10

TASS_18706542-pic905-895x505-76973.jpg

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufa_train_disaster

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48510979

The Great Smog of London, also called The Killer Fog of 1952, (Dec. 5–9, 1952), major environmental disaster in which a combination of smoke mixed with cold fog hovered over London, England. The resulting smog caused the deaths of an estimated 4,000 to 12,000 people—mostly infants and the elderly who fell prey to respiratory illnesses, such as bronchial asthma and pneumonia—and the widespread asphyxiation of cattle at the Smithfield Market and surrounding areas.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Great-Smog-of-London

Didnt know anything about this... 

just poor education?

Jamboelite
18 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

30 years ago.

4 June 1989. Ufa train disaster.

"The Ufa train disaster was a railway accident that occurred on 4 June 1989, in Iglinsky District, Bashkir ASSR, Soviet Union, when an explosion killed 575 (or more) people and injured 800 more. It is the deadliest rail disaster in peacetime in the Soviet Union/Russia.

Many of the victims were families with children travelling to and from a holiday resort on the Black Sea."

"At 1:15, two passenger trains of the Kuybyshev Railway carrying approximately 1,300 vacationers to and from Novosibirsk and a resort in Adler on the Black Sea exploded, 11 kilometres (6.8 miles) from the city of Asha, Chelyabinsk Oblast. Without anyone knowing, a faulty gas pipeline 900 metres (3,000 feet) from the line had leaked natural gas liquids (mainly propane and butane), and weather conditions allowed the gas to accumulate across the lowlands, creating a flammable cloud along part of the Kuybyshev Railway. The explosion occurred after wheel sparks from the two passenger trains heading in opposite directions ignited this flammable cloud. Estimates of the size of the explosion have ranged from 250–300 tons of TNT equivalent to up to 10,000 tons of TNT equivalent."

"The trial over the accident continued for six years, nine officials being charged. The charges were brought under Article 215, part II of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR, where the maximum penalty was five years imprisonment."

hqdefault.jpg

173109817_0:141:3000:1829_600x0_80_0_0_6

1b47388450ea61c346fd661b9c3c4523.jpg

ed9ea038089a964c63cd5601b4378324__1300x.

8D1ED9CD-5DE1-4636-AC31-749DEE16BC19_w10

TASS_18706542-pic905-895x505-76973.jpg

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufa_train_disaster

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48510979

Didnt know about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-48559289

Russian state TV is working on its own version of Chernobyl, a series based on the worst nuclear accident in history.

The NTV drama will deviate from the acclaimed HBO series - and from historical reality - by claiming that the CIA was involved in the disaster.

Director Aleksey Muradov claims it will show "what really happened back then".

Say What Again
On 05/06/2019 at 00:00, red21 said:

Absolutely agree. I just watched the final episode and was gripped throughout the explanations in the trial. 

Fascinating to read/see what happened to the real people at the end too. I can’t believe the 3 guys who went in to open the sluice gates survived! Though I got a real sense of joy that they did. 

Bindy Badgy
6 hours ago, Say What Again said:

Absolutely agree. I just watched the final episode and was gripped throughout the explanations in the trial. 

Fascinating to read/see what happened to the real people at the end too. I can’t believe the 3 guys who went in to open the sluice gates survived! Though I got a real sense of joy that they did. 

I assumed they would be dead in weeks. Good to hear that they lived. Very, very brave men.

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Say What Again said:

3 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I assumed they would be dead in weeks. Good to hear that they lived. Very, very brave men.

Amazing bravery. 

Was sure they’d died horrible deaths too. 

On 07/06/2019 at 20:57, jumpship said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-48559289

Russian state TV is working on its own version of Chernobyl, a series based on the worst nuclear accident in history.

The NTV drama will deviate from the acclaimed HBO series - and from historical reality - by claiming that the CIA was involved in the disaster.

Director Aleksey Muradov claims it will show "what really happened back then".

Will be an interesting watch if it ever happens.