Chernobyl the TV Series

jumpship

Better call Saul
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Wait until all the episodes are up and get a Now TV seven day free trial and watch it all in a week. 

Noted 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jumpship

• Cade

• luckyBatistuta

• jack D and coke

Carl Fredrickson
32 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Did the first episode live up to expectations? 

It was explosive......

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Did the first episode live up to expectations? 

Yes,

Lots of British actors in it, but that did not distract me from the story. 

I thought maybe there would have been more of a build up to the explosion.. it just jumped straight in. 

The effects are pretty good. 

Got a bad feeling that it's only going to get more difficult to watch. The effects of the radiation are going to be brutal, think they will not shy away from it...

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Yes,

Lots of British actors in it, but that did not distract me from the story. 

I thought maybe there would have been more of a build up to the explosion.. it just jumped straight in. 

The effects are pretty good. 

Got a bad feeling that it's only going to get more difficult to watch. The effects of the radiation are going to be brutal, think they will not shy away from it...

The boy in charge of the plants accent was putting me off it, just didn’t seem right with such a strong English accent.

Those guys at the meeting in the office left all united with a bit of chest pumping, but I can see a big fallout coming in the second episode?

Toxteth O'Grady

I worked in an agricultural science institute at Bush Estate  at the time - when Chernobyl happened we monitored radioactivity uptake in farm animals.

As the work was unplanned we had to source a lot of the stuff we needed quickly. We had to take urine samples from sheep using catheters and I got sent to a pharmacy in Penicuik to buy 2 doz tubes of KY jelly. 

I was a young lad and was a bit embarrassed asking for this from the 2 milfs that worked there. I almost said "it's for sheep". 

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I worked in an agricultural science institute at Bush Estate  at the time - when Chernobyl happened we monitored radioactivity uptake in farm animals.

As the work was unplanned we had to source a lot of the stuff we needed quickly. We had to take urine samples from sheep using catheters and I got sent to a pharmacy in Penicuik to buy 2 doz tubes of KY jelly. 

I was a young lad and was a bit embarrassed asking for this from the 2 milfs that worked there. I almost said "it's for sheep". 

:rofl:

Jamboelite
12 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

Thought it was pretty poor, full of English actors and accents. 

Disagree thought it was well shot and slight accents aside was well acted 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

Thought it was pretty poor, full of English actors and accents. 

I agree the accents were weird. Some strong ones too which just weren’t right.  Even if they put on sort of James Bond baddie accents it would’ve made it a little more authentic. 

Still thought it was decent enough. 

Carl Fredrickson
9 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I would imagine that is quite common for Penicuik ?

vegas-voss

Watched it last night and thought it was good despite the acting.The voices were initially off putting but the acting in general wasn't exactly great either.As I said  still thought it was good though.

Sooperstar

With the accents they made a conscious decision not to have people using dodgy Russian accents and just use their normal voices instead.

Faked dodgy Ukrainian/Russian accents would only detract from the story.

It's a human story, not a soviet story.

Thunderstruck

It looks like a remake of a drama documentary from a few years ago.

In the latest HBO product, the science is a poor second to the drama. This article provides a good critique - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/05/09/the-reason-they-fictionalize-nuclear-disasters-like-chernobyl-is-because-they-kill-so-few-people/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

On 09/05/2019 at 23:44, Thunderstruck said:

It looks like a remake of a drama documentary from a few years ago.

In the latest HBO product, the science is a poor second to the drama. This article provides a good critique - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/05/09/the-reason-they-fictionalize-nuclear-disasters-like-chernobyl-is-because-they-kill-so-few-people/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks for that... 

Those two divers saved us all...

Jambof3tornado
On 09/05/2019 at 22:11, Cade said:

Faked dodgy Ukrainian/Russian accents would only detract from the story.

It's a human story, not a soviet story.

This. The accents are irrelevant.

Thought ep 1 was very good.

magic roundabout

I done the Chernobyl tour about 12 years ago. Without a doubt once of the most incredible places I've visited. The plant itself is still busy with all the maintenance work- you have your lunch there (they even had a shop you could by alochol) before going to pripyat. Pripyat (the city) was so eiree truly incredible. 

FB_IMG_1557614100233.jpg

Ibrahim Tall

On the accents, it’s UK/US made programme starring British actors speaking English what accents were they meant to use to make it ‘real’? Even if they’d used a dodgy Bond type accent they’d still be unrealistically speaking English.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

12 hours ago, magic roundabout said:

I done the Chernobyl tour about 12 years ago. Without a doubt once of the most incredible places I've visited. The plant itself is still busy with all the maintenance work- you have your lunch there (they even had a shop you could by alochol) before going to pripyat. Pripyat (the city) was so eiree truly incredible. 

FB_IMG_1557614100233.jpg

The story we are being told now, compere that to what you were told on your tour.... is there much difference?

2nd episode is now ready to view. Another good one... 

That end scene is up there with any horror movie out there.. 

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

That end scene is up there with any horror movie out there.. 

Just finished watching.I always find it hard what to say about real life events as good or entertaining sounds wrong so I will go with very harrowing viewing that has me gripped.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I’d recommend “The Chernobyl Podcast” which features the writer of the series. Interesting discussion about the choices they made when dramatizing the events, and also some fascinating stories that never made it to the screen.

Governor Tarkin
On 08/05/2019 at 20:08, Toxteth O'Grady said:

:rofl:

Carl Fredrickson

The second episode is truly harrowing. The ignorance and lack of knowledge of those in charge is/was frightening. 

Superb, if quite harrowing, stuff so far.

Rather bemused by some of the comments on the accents. ?

Kalamazoo Jambo
28 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Superb, if quite harrowing, stuff so far.

Rather bemused by some of the comments on the accents. ?

There’s a good defense of the decision not to attempt Russian accents on the podcast I mentioned above. Basically the only thing that was totally off limits was an American accent :ninja:

6 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

There’s a good defense of the decision not to attempt Russian accents on the podcast I mentioned above.

Because it’s set in Ukraine? ?

As said, it’s full of British actors. Putting on phoney Soviet accents while still speaking English would have been needlessly naff. 

Carl Fredrickson
On 14/05/2019 at 20:59, jumpship said:

That end scene is up there with any horror movie out there.

I would agree - the ending put the fear into me. It has put me off ever trying to swim under a nuclear reactor/core - whether or not it is on fire. Fecking nightmares last night! 

On 14/05/2019 at 23:23, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I’d recommend “The Chernobyl Podcast” which features the writer of the series. Interesting discussion about the choices they made when dramatizing the events, and also some fascinating stories that never made it to the screen.

Thanks for putting me on to that, the podcast really expands on the story and the writer tells you exactly how much is true, how much is dramatisation and how many true events got left out altogether.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Peebo said:

As said, it’s full of British actors. Putting on phoney Soviet accents while still speaking English would have been needlessly naff. 

Yeah it would’ve. I initially expected fake Russian accents but I’ve got past that and just enjoyed it. 

Second episode was pretty harrowing. Bravest of men those divers. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
5 hours ago, Peebo said:

D’oh! Technically Ukrainian, Belarusian and Russian all covered :ninja:

Kalamazoo Jambo
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Thanks for putting me on to that, the podcast really expands on the story and the writer tells you exactly how much is true, how much is dramatisation and how many true events got left out altogether.

Glad you found it interesting. Am also now reading a book, Midnight in Chernobyl, by Adam Higginbotham, that I think was mentioned in the podcast. Early stages, but very interesting so far.

Maple Leaf

I stumbled across this show by accident last evening. I've no idea what episode I saw, but it was the one where the naked miners are digging a tunnel for the heat-exchanger, and at the end a bunch of killed men are buried in concrete.

I thought it was excellent, but how much of the series have I missed?

Maple Leaf
48 minutes ago, Cade said:

You saw episode 3 of the 5-part series

Thanks. Now I need to find where I can watch the first two episodes. :thumb:

Carl Fredrickson

Episode 3 another decent watch. The nude miners was the first light hearted moment so far.

Another hard hitting episode. 

That was the toughest episode yet.. 

Couple of Scottish actors in episode 3. 

I shouted out "What are you doing" when the wife went behind the curtain. 

bajthejambo

Trevor from Eastenders making an appearance as a nude minor was a much needed light hearted moment in the show.

It's about the immediate aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster.

The disbelief, the utter paralysis of those in charge.

The lies, the cover-ups.

The bravery of the emergency services who knew they'd all be dead in a matter of weeks but did what had to be done to save millions more from even larger disasters.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
15 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

Trevor from Eastenders making an appearance as a nude minor was a much needed light hearted moment in the show.

First thing I noticed in this episode. He was fully clothed at the time ?

Lots of same faces in this one. Women with, to put it politely extremely large ears (Laura Elphinstone) appearing in this,

Line of Duty, and Game of Thrones!!