• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

• rudi must stay

Franksluckypants

Depends on the available budget and where we want to be challenging? Next season at least we can be fully focused with onfield matters, but no way we're going to bust the bank!

As a yard stick - how many of the current players would get into the starting Celtic line up? There's been moments during the season when Souter, Berra, Haring, and Naismith, all whilst playing to their best would have. At the moment probably just Souter.

A more realistical challenge would be for second or third place. Comparing our players with The Rangers & Aberdeen boys, then think about what positions need strengthening. A few!

22 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Chris Cadden, Lawrence Shankland, new goalkeeper and Craig Bryson. 

With Naisy signing up too. Good squad. 

I spoke to an Ayr fan at the weekend and he reckons Shankland is just not quite good enough for a team at the top end of the SPFL.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Full backs!

We've got three left backs and three right backs so would need to be moving on a couple of players to add to those areas.A lot depends on if Aidy White can regain his earlier form and if Garuccio wants to stay in Scotland. Right back is well covered with Michael Smith, Jamie Brandon and Marcus Godinho.

It’s the flair/creative window this summer as I think Levein has confirmed.

Will be interesting to see what comes from it.

Phil Dunphy
21 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I spoke to an Ayr fan at the weekend and he reckons Shankland is just not quite good enough for a team at the top end of the SPFL.

I spoke to a Hearts fan who reckons Uche is lazy. 

Not saying he’s necessarily wrong, just that opinions. Who knows how he’d do for us. I doubt he’d be an expensive risk either. 

43 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

Depends on the available budget and where we want to be challenging? Next season at least we can be fully focused with onfield matters, but no way we're going to bust the bank!

As a yard stick - how many of the current players would get into the starting Celtic line up? There's been moments during the season when Souter, Berra, Haring, and Naismith, all whilst playing to their best would have. At the moment probably just Souter.

A more realistical challenge would be for second or third place. Comparing our players with The Rangers & Aberdeen boys, then think about what positions need strengthening. A few!

The twice I've seen Aberdeen in person this season I've come away from the game bewildered at how they are so high up in the league, not one player of theirs has stood out against us/looked better than what we have. That said, if we could get GMS on a free then I think he'd become an important part of our team.

51 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

I genuinely don't think many of their players get into our best XI, think they have more depth 

Franksluckypants

Aberdeen seem to have a few decent younger boys coming through, but was thinking more from the comparison perspective with The Rangers tbh.

As others have said, for us, a less flakey keeper, LB (or fit Aid W), 2 Mids, winger and poacher, would take us well above the standard of Aberdeen, and there or there aboots the Rangers, imo.

Quality over quantity and pray they don't get all get crocked for 6 months!

47 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I spoke to a Hearts fan who reckons Uche is lazy. 

Not saying he’s necessarily wrong, just that opinions. Who knows how he’d do for us. I doubt he’d be an expensive risk either. 

Your’e not saying that a Hearts fan that says Uche is lazy is wrong?

Why not?

That Hearts fan is a complete shop front.

Pace and creativity we need! We have an excellent spine to the team that is more than capable of finishing third. 

What we we are missing is pace and creativity. Every week I look at the teamsheet and wonder where the goals are coming from because we don’t seem to have enough players assisting or scoring goals. All our players are too similar, we need players to break the lines and look to make things happen in the final third. 

Will be an intriguing window as we will need to move players on. We are saying we need a box to box midfielder which I agree with. Look at centre mid we have haring, Lee, bozanic, Clare, cochrane, djoum and Naismith if they stay. And if we sign the wingers that we want and need, then it would mean djoum and Clare playing in their natural positions which is in the middle of the park. Too many players to keep happy there...

I agree that we could improve in certain areas like GK but if we were to sign 3/4 players all attack minded like box to box CM, 2 wingers and a goal scorer who all ended up with double figures of assist and goal combined ( obv expect more than that from a goal scoring forward) then we would be onto something.

We have to realise though that our budget isn’t going to attract players who are proven and going to guarantee us this so there may be a few ‘gambles’ ‘projects’ that we will have to wait and see what happens. 

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Your’e not saying that a Hearts fan that says Uche is lazy is wrong?

Why not?

That Hearts fan is a complete shop front.

I’d be stretching to call him a fan. Since the season started, he’s been an absolute nightmare to all around him. 

Was close to offering folk outside on Saturday for calling out his rank patter. 

I like the idea of Shankland playing off Uche. Sure he would get goals.

What would he cost? £300k max?

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

think there's better out there and I can't see us taking the gamble

We could save ourselves some money (and might) and give Keena more game time

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

think there's better out there and I can't see us taking the gamble

We could save ourselves some money (and might) and give Keena more game time

I think CL likes a gamble and I am not talking about frequenting the bookies as has been highlighted on here previously but in some of the signings he has made.

13 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He wouldn’t cost anything as he’s out of contract at the end of the season.

Official_AB

Can you imagine first day of next season having a team like this..... 

Gordon 

Souttar Berra Halkett 

Smith Haring  Clare   Mackay Steven

Bryson

Uche Naismith 

???

8 minutes ago, Official_AB said:

Can you imagine first day of next season having a team like this..... 

Gordon 

Souttar Berra Halkett 

Smith Haring  Clare   Mackay Steven

Bryson

Uche Naismith 

???

Have we been linked to Mackay Steven?

The Comedian

We should be after Ruben Lameiras who is out of contract at Plymouth. Eleven goals and five assists this season for a left/right winger. You're out yer seat whenever he gets the ball, a exciting attacking player and only 24.

Playing scout here :gok:

Dalstonjambo
17 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’d be stretching to call him a fan. Since the season started, he’s been an absolute nightmare to all around him. 

I thought I8 didn't go to games anymore?

johnking123

Cadden And Hastie from Motherwell would do. Would cost us, Hopefully our benefactors are still feeling generous!  

2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Cadden And Hastie from Motherwell would do. Would cost us, Hopefully our benefactors are still feeling generous!  

Hastie is apparently wanted by Sevco so if true unlikely we would attract him on what we could afford. Young lad so money will be important over development probably.

I think we're pretty solid at right back, with Smith re-signing and Brandon back, they'd be the two choices. Not sure about Godinho to be fair, gets caught and turned by opposition wingers.

Left back has been a problem for a few years now, thought Garuccio was the one to finally become a fixture in the team but seemingly not. Not sure about this Aidy White chap, another "project". We need someone to come in and play from the off. This is the position we need to sort out first and foremost.

Central defence will be ok by the looks of it. Berra, Souttar (if he's still here), Halkett and the physical presence of Dikamona will work out fine with Daniel Baur as back-up. Shaughnessy isn't a defender so no miss there. Souttar would need replaced if he goes though.

Wide players and Mulraney has improved but still wouldn't be a first choice. I'd try to go for Mackay-Steven at Aberdeen. Out of contract in summer. Morrison i'm not sure about, struggles to cross balls and turns back to pass inside more often than not. I like Jake Hastie at Motherwell in that position but Cadden could be an option. He's out of contract in the summer I've been told. Definitely have to sort something out with wide players.

Midfield is an issue, as we struggle to link up play between there and upfront at times. Clare looks a fair bet for a number 10 berth (attacking from midfield) and I don't know of any Camerons or Hartleys out there right now. Never saw the point of signing Ryan Edwards, Djoum has had an offer from France I believe so could be off. He's been talking about moving on for nearly 18 months. Haring should stay, he's been a very good find. Bozanic….meh, tidy with the ball but rarely adventurous. Olly Lee, can't complain about the goals he's scored but looks un-interested at times. Squad player at best. I'd honestly try to get Shinnie from Aberdeen, he's out of contract as well, plays all over midfield and likes a crack at goal. If we can get Naismith tied up then that would be good business. Uche upfront and a fully fit Vanecek might be a good combination. Unsure about Wighton but Keena could be an interesting option.

Oh...goalies, Don't mind Zlamal, pulled off some great saves. Thought Doyle looked decent enough when he came in, all keepers make the occasional mistake, seen it with Henry Smith, Niemi, Rousset and others. Someone posted earlier about David Marshall, that would be an excellent signing seeing as he's supposedly leaving his club in the summer. Might be a better option than Gordon, and a bit younger.

Marshall/Zlamal

Smith/Brandon, Souttar/Dikamona, Berra/Halkett, Garuccio/??

Haring, Naismith

Mackay-Steven/Cadden, Clare, Shinnie

Uche/Vanacek

4-2-3-1

johnking123
10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Hastie is apparently wanted by Sevco so if true unlikely we would attract him on what we could afford. Young lad so money will be important over development probably.

Saying in paper that they have gave up on him. Maybe football is his priority. 

The Internet

Or maybe they realised he's played 10 top flight games and everyone is going way over the top with him. 

37 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Saying in paper that they have gave up on him. Maybe football is his priority. 

That would be nice if true. Not often heads aren't turned by money.

42 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I think we're pretty solid at right back, with Smith re-signing and Brandon back, they'd be the two choices. Not sure about Godinho to be fair, gets caught and turned by opposition wingers.

Left back has been a problem for a few years now, thought Garuccio was the one to finally become a fixture in the team but seemingly not. Not sure about this Aidy White chap, another "project". We need someone to come in and play from the off. This is the position we need to sort out first and foremost.

Central defence will be ok by the looks of it. Berra, Souttar (if he's still here), Halkett and the physical presence of Dikamona will work out fine with Daniel Baur as back-up. Shaughnessy isn't a defender so no miss there. Souttar would need replaced if he goes though.

Wide players and Mulraney has improved but still wouldn't be a first choice. I'd try to go for Mackay-Steven at Aberdeen. Out of contract in summer. Morrison i'm not sure about, struggles to cross balls and turns back to pass inside more often than not. I like Jake Hastie at Motherwell in that position but Cadden could be an option. He's out of contract in the summer I've been told. Definitely have to sort something out with wide players.

Midfield is an issue, as we struggle to link up play between there and upfront at times. Clare looks a fair bet for a number 10 berth (attacking from midfield) and I don't know of any Camerons or Hartleys out there right now. Never saw the point of signing Ryan Edwards, Djoum has had an offer from France I believe so could be off. He's been talking about moving on for nearly 18 months. Haring should stay, he's been a very good find. Bozanic….meh, tidy with the ball but rarely adventurous. Olly Lee, can't complain about the goals he's scored but looks un-interested at times. Squad player at best. I'd honestly try to get Shinnie from Aberdeen, he's out of contract as well, plays all over midfield and likes a crack at goal. If we can get Naismith tied up then that would be good business. Uche upfront and a fully fit Vanecek might be a good combination. Unsure about Wighton but Keena could be an interesting option.

Oh...goalies, Don't mind Zlamal, pulled off some great saves. Thought Doyle looked decent enough when he came in, all keepers make the occasional mistake, seen it with Henry Smith, Niemi, Rousset and others. Someone posted earlier about David Marshall, that would be an excellent signing seeing as he's supposedly leaving his club in the summer. Might be a better option than Gordon, and a bit younger.

Marshall/Zlamal

Haring, Naismith

Uche/Vanacek

4-2-3-1

Mulraney just has to continue his form to be first choice in my opinion .

You think Shinnie is a realistic target ?

29 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Derby Co are reportedly interested in Shinnie and if this is true then they can offer far more than us or Aberdeen as far as wages are concerned.

rudi must stay
36 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Shinnie has signed a pre contract with Rangers. All gone quiet about Cadden too

3 hours ago, The Comedian said:

We should be after Ruben Lameiras who is out of contract at Plymouth. Eleven goals and five assists this season for a left/right winger. You're out yer seat whenever he gets the ball, a exciting attacking player and only 24.

Playing scout here :gok:

Would definatly sign this guy if he's in our price range. Looks a versatile and confident attacking player 

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I thought I8 didn't go to games anymore?

Sadly, I know what i8 looks like. 

This is a totally different banger altogether. 

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Your counting bodies, not necessarily players!

1. You're using 'your' in the wrong context.

2. I'm not counting bodies. We have an experienced right back in Michael Smith and an experienced  left back in Aidy White. If both fully fit, we would have a very strong back four or five with Berra, Halkett and Souttar. We then have Hickey and Garuccio who are at different stages of development to become experienced left backs with both Godinho and Brandon developing as right backs. The only reason to add to these positions would be if Aidy White can't regain fitness or if Garuccio returns to Australia.

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

We don't pay that much less than Aberdeen for wages so yes, it should be realistic. However since I posted, it seems that both Rangers (pre-contract) and Derby Co. are interested so if it comes down to pay-packets then, probably not.

Gary Mackay-Steven would be an interesting one though as he is as comfortable on the left as he is on the right.

I just watched that video on Ruben Lamieras...now that's exactly the type we need, someone who just attacks, has an eye for passes in promising areas, yes, i'd take him.

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

Marshall/Zlamal

Haring, Naismith

Uche/Vanacek

4-2-3-1

A decent post overall. I think an experienced winger is a must, not just to start and impact us on the pitch but also to aid in the development of Mulraney, Morrison, Moore and McDonald. Djoum would need to be replaced with a Bryson / Adams type signing and coupled with Haring and Clare looks a very strong midfield. I'd ultimately like to see Djoum stay if possible but understand the lure of Ligue 1 in France. Think whether we play 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 the '2' should be Uche and Naismith.

5 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We don't pay that much less than Aberdeen for wages so yes, it should be realistic. However since I posted, it seems that both Rangers (pre-contract) and Derby Co. are interested so if it comes down to pay-packets then, probably not.

Gary Mackay-Steven would be an interesting one though as he is as comfortable on the left as he is on the right.

I just watched that video on Ruben Lamieras...now that's exactly the type we need, someone who just attacks, has an eye for passes in promising areas, yes, i'd take him.

Players like Shinnie are always going to move for much bigger wages .

GMS like him as a player but move from Aberdeen to us ?

1 minute ago, johnthomas said:

Players like Shinnie are always going to move for much bigger wages .

GMS like him as a player but move from Aberdeen to us ?

Couldn't say either way to be fair but it would maybe depend on whether he's going to get regular games at Pittodrie or not. Could also depend on what players Aberdeen are looking to sign. They've maybe got a wide player or two in mind for next season and need to free up some space in their squad. Hearts aren't a step down from Aberdeen, i'd say we are better supported and a bigger club going by yearly attendances but, we do have wage restrictions and will do until someone comes in when Ann leaves. We still pay more than Hibs and they've had a few decent players brought in these last two or three years. It shouldn't be out of the question, realistically.

loveofthegame

Stunned anyone could think we don't need a new LB.

We've got a guy who is out until at least Christmas (then who knows what nick he'll be in when he returns), a guy who hasn't played in about 3 years, and a 16 y/o. Absolutely critical we bring in cover at LB.

Otherwise I'd get rid of Doyle if we can find a better keeper, bring in another 2 wide men and a box-to-box midfielder.

Fine for CB (assuming Souttar isn't sold) and RB, centre mid generally fine save for replacing Djoum, strikers fine assuming keep Naisy.

Really hoping Cochrane, Wighton and Keena kick on next year - be like 3 new signings in the 1st team squad.

1 minute ago, loveofthegame said:

We've got a guy who is out until at least Christmas (then who knows what nick he'll be in when he returns), a guy who hasn't played in about 3 years, and a 16 y/o. Absolutely critical we bring in cover at LB.

Otherwise I'd get rid of Doyle if we can find a better keeper, bring in another 2 wide men and a box-to-box midfielder.

Fine for CB (assuming Souttar isn't sold) and RB, centre mid generally fine save for replacing Djoum, strikers fine assuming keep Naisy.

Really hoping Cochrane, Wighton and Keena kick on next year - be like 3 new signings in the 1st team squad.

Can't disagree with any of that other than maybe adding Irving to the three you mention in your last sentence.

Franksluckypants

Apart from his splendid and well coiffered beard, Shinnie is absolutely garbage.

Never good enough for us even on a 'free' and way over, rather than underrated! Looked below pub team level recently against the might of Kazakhstan and it mattered not that he was allegedly playing in an unfamiliar LB position!

He certainly wouldn't improve us, as our current midfielders are better than him. IMO of course.

GMS is a far better player!

19 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Definitely need to sort the left-back position out. Unfortunately there's not a lot out there to pick from that we know of. I'd personally liked to have seen us try to sign Greg Taylor at Killie but he's still under contract for a good while yet so can't and won't happen.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Definitely need to sort the left-back position out. Unfortunately there's not a lot out there to pick from that we know of. I'd personally liked to have seen us try to sign Greg Taylor at Killie but he's still under contract for a good while yet so can't and won't happen.

if we are playing with wing-backs then we need to get those positions nailed down as they're ridiculously important in the modern game.

42 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Couldn't say either way to be fair but it would maybe depend on whether he's going to get regular games at Pittodrie or not. Could also depend on what players Aberdeen are looking to sign. They've maybe got a wide player or two in mind for next season and need to free up some space in their squad. Hearts aren't a step down from Aberdeen, i'd say we are better supported and a bigger club going by yearly attendances but, we do have wage restrictions and will do until someone comes in when Ann leaves. We still pay more than Hibs and they've had a few decent players brought in these last two or three years. It shouldn't be out of the question, realistically.

What wage restrictions do we have?

I think she will not wish the total wage bill to exceed manageable proportions but is there evidence to say we have a ceiling on the earnings of any individual?

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What wage restrictions do we have?

I think she will not wish the total wage bill to exceed manageable proportions but is there evidence to say we have a ceiling on the earnings of any individual?

I think she will not wish the total wage bill to exceed manageable proportions, overall. The budget will be restricted to a certain amount, individually or otherwise.

Dalstonjambo
1 minute ago, jambonian said:

I think she will not wish the total wage bill to exceed manageable proportions, overall. The budget will be restricted to a certain amount, individually or otherwise.

So is your thought process once Budge leaves (which she almost certainly will not btw even after her loan is paid back) we just go back to an unrestricted budget? Does responsible budget management just disappear when we become fan owned and loans paid off?

Edited by Dalstonjambo

Just now, Dalstonjambo said:

So is your thought process once Budge leaves (which she almost certainly will not btw even after her loan is paid back) we just go back to an unrestricted budget?

No, absolutely not, last thing we need is to get ourselves back in the broon stuff with debt. The club will still need an investor or group/consortium to help fund it if/when she leaves. Fan ownership will only go so far and peoples lives change. Life happens, marriage, families, death, unemployment, retirement etc etc. and can anyone say 100% for sure that we will definitely get new fans to cover any of these losses?

What we will need with any new investor/group is more money than it would appear we have for salaries at the moment. And i don't mean a Romanov-type who loses the plot.  However, we don't want to be losing out on some good players to rival clubs just because we don't want to pay that wee bit more than we are at the moment. So basically still a restricted budget but a higher one than we would maybe have available for now.

Dalstonjambo
1 minute ago, jambonian said:

No, absolutely not, last thing we need is to get ourselves back in the broon stuff with debt. The club will still need an investor or group/consortium to help fund it if/when she leaves. Fan ownership will only go so far and peoples lives change. Life happens, marriage, families, death, unemployment, retirement etc etc. and can anyone say 100% for sure that we will definitely get new fans to cover any of these losses?

What we will need with any new investor/group is more money than it would appear we have for salaries at the moment. And i don't mean a Romanov-type who loses the plot.  However, we don't want to be losing out on some good players to rival clubs just because we don't want to pay that wee bit more than we are at the moment. So basically still a restricted budget but a higher one than we would maybe have available for now.

But once Budge is paid off that money is  there to be used for whatever the board sees fit? 

We will have the same income (at least) as Hibs/Aberdeen from the football side (which will increase hopefully from the new stand), then the extra money from the fans payments. So we will be in a stronger position than we are now. Sure in 15/20 years that may change, but either you or I is massively misunderstanding something.

Absolute Scenes
51 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

Apart from his splendid and well coiffered beard, Shinnie is absolutely garbage.

Never good enough for us even on a 'free' and way over, rather than underrated! Looked below pub team level recently against the might of Kazakhstan and it mattered not that he was allegedly playing in an unfamiliar LB position!

He certainly wouldn't improve us, as our current midfielders are better than him. IMO of course.

fair assessment mate, I'd agree!

While I'd love GMS at us, I don't know why he'd want to jump from being consistently third to us! I know we are a bigger club than Aberdeen, I just wonder what his motivation would be. Either way I wait in hope as he'd be a great signing!

1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

But once Budge is paid off that money is  there to be used for whatever the board sees fit? 

We will have the same income (at least) as Hibs/Aberdeen from the football side (which will increase hopefully from the new stand), then the extra money from the fans payments. So we will be in a stronger position than we are now. Sure in 15/20 years that may change, but either you or I is massively misunderstanding something.

In short, it'll be all about what we can afford to invest in the future but we have to be able to compete with those two wage-wise on signing players at the very least. Whether that be with a new board in place to work alongside fan contribution we'll just have to wait and see, as the fans contributions may decrease due to the life reasons I suggested in the last post.  I'm sure she'll leave the club in a good position for potential investors and that's what we need long-term.

Wonder if Fraser Forster could be a loan option?

3rd choice now at Southampton and i don't think he's played in over a year thanks to a poor run of form back then. 

In my eyes still a very good keeper though. 

58 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

Ohh dearie dearie me ?

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, jambobob61 said:

You haven't seen White! Unknown quantity!

Correct about Smith!

The rest the jury's out, been hit and miss this season! Hope that context is correct!

Injuries obviously heavily affected, but that happens at times!

The 'poorer' full backs put pressure on players in front, may explain why Morrison is hesitant to really attack?

As I said you confuse bodies with players!

1. Correct context but far too many exclamation marks now. Using six in one paragraph just dilutes their entire purpose. They are for effect!

2. How do you know I've not seen White?

3. We definitely don't need a right back. Michael Smith is one of our best players and Godinho and Brandon will only improve over the next couple of seasons as his understudies.

4. The left back position is very much dependent upon three factors:

i. The fitness of Aidy White.

ii. How quickly Garuccio recovers form injury and if he intends to stay in the UK.

iii. How close Hickey is to being ready for first team action.

Those three issues need addressed before we can determine whether or not another left back is required.