Line Of Duty....Series 5

Notts1874

Well good old Ted Hastings was back last night and was on form as usual.

Cracking start to the series and brilliant to see Stephen Graham as the guest lead.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Notts1874

• gashauskis9

• vegas-voss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great programme. Been a huge fan since the first series with Lennie James.

If you're after another fix of Mercurio, the early 2000s series Bodies is worth a watch.

Been watching LoD since it first was on BBC2 - been a big fan of this show.

Enjoyed it last night but it's going to have to pull out a few big punches as I found myself not being that surprised by it. Hopefully they'll do another one of those incredibly intense interview scenes.

Stephen Graham is a superb actor and I'm hoping his role/character pans out to be one of those iconic ones. 

Edited by Mysterion

adambraejambo

H is either Kate Fleming or Steve Arnott. No way is it Ted Hastings. They putting in a few red herrings to make us think it Ted. 

Love this show.  The 'twist' with the identity of the UCO wasn't too much of a surprise, and they're not exactly being subtle with trying to paint Hastings as 'H'.  My money's on the blond boy from Steps.

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

If you're after another fix of Mercurio, the early 2000s series Bodies is worth a watch.

Bodies is brilliant.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Great programme. Been a huge fan since the first series with Lennie James.

14 minutes ago, Darren said:

Bodies is brilliant.

Max Beasley is superb in Bodies. I can't recall if the conclusion was caught up at the time of the writers' strike but I'm sure there was some sort of issue at the time. 

Last night's episode was great. Straight into it and a bit of back referencing to previous series too. 

Stephen Graham's character likes hanging about shan nightclubs with ropey music, eh? ? 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

jamtartan74

I have never watched it and was tempted to last night, is it one of they progs that u need to see the previous series’ or could I start watching and not be all confused about what’s going? 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Max Beasley is superb in Bodies. I can't recall if the conclusion was caught up at the time of the writers' strike but I'm sure there was some sort of issue at the time. 

Last night's episode was great. Straight into it and a bit of back referencing to previous series too. 

Stephen Graham's character likes hanging about shan nightclubs with ropey music, eh? ? 

Think there was a change in BBC management and the mooted next series wasn't commissioned as expected.

Then the final episode was made a couple of years later after they'd realised their mistake.

tokyowalnut
35 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I have never watched it and was tempted to last night, is it one of they progs that u need to see the previous series’ or could I start watching and not be all confused about what’s going? 

You need to watch from the start, you wont be disappointed though, it is excellent.

jamtartan74
8 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

You need to watch from the start, you wont be disappointed though, it is excellent.

Hmm not sure if I can be arsed watching through it all but will see, cheers

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I don’t think it’s necessary starting from the first series as each series is a different story.

jamtartan74
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I don’t think it’s necessary starting from the first series as each series is a different story.

Ok cheers bud might just start from the new series then and see how it goes, don’t know why I have never watched it before as it’s my kind of thing. 

1 minute ago, jamtartan74 said:

Ok cheers bud might just start from the new series then and see how it goes, don’t know why I have never watched it before as it’s my kind of thing. 

I would probably watch the last series. That should give you enough background into the thread that runs through it all.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
5 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

All the seasons are on Netflix and I think iPlayer too. Each season is about 6-7 episodes, its very easy to binge

I liked last night's episode. I think the earlier seasons were a bit grittier and grounded, I cant remember if we even saw an actual gun until like 3 seasons in. I think the incident at the end of season 3 with the caddy was the point where LoD fully shed its clothes

Stephen Graham and Thandie Newton last season, they're getting some pretty big names now, Neil Morrissey wouldn't have a sniff of an appearance now :lol:  

38 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

You'll not feel like that, once you start. Unless you don't like Pringles.

jamtartan74
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You'll not feel like that, once you start. Unless you don't like Pringles.

Depends what flavour ?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This is what I was going to say. I watched last night but hadn’t watched the last series. I don’t think you need to have seen them all as each series stands alone. 

William H. Bonney

I'd say you definitely have to watch it from the start to get an idea of the corruption and in particular the character of the caddy. 

5 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

My Mrs just did before this series and is very glad she did.

Re the twist I was totally surprised. I'm not the brightest though.

Edited by Jamhammer

9 hours ago, adambraejambo said:

H is either Kate Fleming or Steve Arnott. No way is it Ted Hastings. They putting in a few red herrings to make us think it Ted. 

If it's Ted he ain't making much cash out of it ?

gashauskis9
9 hours ago, adambraejambo said:

It’s defo Kate, I’m sure of it, but that won’t come out until series 6.  They’ll spend the whole of series 5 trying to frame Steve and/or Ted.

gashauskis9
3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

I'd say you definitely have to watch it from the start to get an idea of the corruption and in particular the character of the caddy. 

The caddy is a superb character.  

7 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

It’s defo Kate, I’m sure of it, but that won’t come out until series 6.  They’ll spend the whole of series 5 trying to frame Steve and/or Ted.

It's none of them and one of them won't last the series.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's none of them and one of them won't last the series.

Yep, I'm pretty sure Kate is going to get bumped off just as it appears her family life is back on track.

Unlikely to try to frame Steve, that's already been done. And it won't be Ted.

scottish_chicP

I binge watched the previous 4 series a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it and ended up not being able to switch it off. Sunday night's episode did not disappoint.

Edited by scottish_chicP

gashauskis9
2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Did others notice the gang members have appeared in previous seasons.

Yep, they killed Gates’ mistress in series 1 and were the Balaclava men in series 4.

16 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Yep, they killed Gates’ mistress in series 1 and were the Balaclava men in series 4.

Method of killing was the same as well ?.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Did others notice the gang members have appeared in previous seasons.

Martin Compston's wife appeared on his phone too. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Am I the only one who spent the first half of this first episode trying to get their head around all the acronyms again?

I was sure that some of them were new ("OCG")?

And they're not acronyms unless you can say them as a word like SCUBA or RADAR.

(Sorry for that pedantry but I work with Americans who call any code an "acro". They pay me so I keep my lip buttoned.)

40 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Martin Compston's wife appeared on his phone too. 

The short shot of a message that looked like a mock WhatsApp but with a muckle, big photo. It was so fleeting, Mrs K and I figured there had to be some significance but didn't make any connection.

When you say "Martin Compston's wife", do you mean the actor's wife or his character's? I don't remember him having been married in LoD.

I should really do a binge catch up - I've got a crap memory!

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

(Sorry for that pedantry but I work with Americans who call any code an "acro". They pay me so I keep my lip buttoned.)

The short shot of a message that looked like a mock WhatsApp but with a muckle, big photo. It was so fleeting, Mrs K and I figured there had to be some significance but didn't make any connection.

When you say "Martin Compston's wife", do you mean the actor's wife or his character's? I don't remember him having been married in LoD.

The actors wife. I thought it was a message on a dating site.

If you do a binge catch up go back to series one. There is a young kid who runs drugs etc for the gang involved in it. He is back in this series.

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Apologies, initialism was the more correct word. I was dumbing down.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Yeah, the actor's wife. She is from the States and he's moved over to stay in Las Vegas now. 

He was on some programme recently talking about how how Tennents have gifted him a beer tap to have set up in his Vegas pad. ?

I P Knightley
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Apologies, initialism was the more correct word. I was dumbing down.

No problem - I know you're not an annoying American arsehole but it was cathartic to get it off my chest.

Stephen Graham is a brilliant actor when it comes to being a bad F@@@er.

very happy with the first episode after havinf spent the last few weeks rewatching the previous 4series.

and still just as good second time round

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The plot was very promising.

But:

1) Some of the acting in Line of Duty is atrocious, and none worse than that of Hastings. Don't @ me on this. He and his two side-kicks are laughably bad.

2) How on earth would an undercover copper become the head of a major crime gang, without being in it for literally 10 years? Completely implausible.

As a series, LOD is massively overrated.

I think using the acronyms is meant to add authenticity - why would seasoned cops use the full terms?  

Having said that, I did wonder how a police force had not only managed to put in place an undercover officer in an OCG, but had somehow managed to place him at the top of the OCG.  That's either fantasy island, or the point about these guys having been in previous series could relate to the whole operation being run by 'H'.

I really hope H isn't either Steve, Kate or Hastings.  Think I'd feel it was being done purely for the audience shock value.  Neither Steve nor Kate are senior enough to be able to authorise the use of an undercover officer, assuming the writers are sticking to the law.

King Of The Cat Cafe
5 minutes ago, Haken said:

I think using the acronyms is meant to add authenticity - why would seasoned cops use the full terms?  

Having said that, I did wonder how a police force had not only managed to put in place an undercover officer in an OCG, but had somehow managed to place him at the top of the OCG.  That's either fantasy island, or the point about these guys having been in previous series could relate to the whole operation being run by 'H'.

I really hope H isn't either Steve, Kate or Hastings.  Think I'd feel it was being done purely for the audience shock value.  Neither Steve nor Kate are senior enough to be able to authorise the use of an undercover officer, assuming the writers are sticking to the law.

The identity of H is the $64,000 question.

It is pretty much a convention in writing fiction that the real villain should be someone the reader/view has been introduced to before the denouement. 

However, Jed Mercurio is someone noted for bending conventions so...watch this space.

3 hours ago, Haken said:

It's someone far higher up than Kate or Steve.Kate might be involved in some part of the chain though.

3 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

The identity of H is the $64,000 question.

It is pretty much a convention in writing fiction that the real villain should be someone the reader/view has been introduced to before the denouement. 

However, Jed Mercurio is someone noted for bending conventions so...watch this space.

There is a theory that H isnt actually a person

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's someone far higher up than Kate or Steve.Kate might be involved in some part of the chain though.

Wouldn't quite fit or make sense since she was persistent in getting Dot's dying declaration and recording it. If she was connected, she wouldn't have pursued that. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
53 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

There is a theory that H isnt actually a person

In which case my last sentence - 

"However, Jed Mercurio is someone noted for bending conventions so...watch this space." - applies.  ?