No 1 Bus.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Think a record was broken today, 55 minutes from Gorgie to Drumbrae, thanks to the rugby left car

as would have been nightmare to park due to no parking till 4-15 , great old council though leave the car and get a bus, 

rather walk next time, what a joke, single decker as well, mobbed , no air, pushed all over the place.

Get back from Glasgow quicker,

Harry Potter
39 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Definitely could have walked it quicker. 

Never known anything like it mate, deserved a mention on here , should have walked up balgreen road 

and got a 26, ☺️

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Think a record was broken today, 55 minutes from Gorgie to Drumbrae, thanks to the rugby left car

as would have been nightmare to park due to no parking till 4-15 , great old council though leave the car and get a bus, 

rather walk next time, what a joke, single decker as well, mobbed , no air, pushed all over the place.

Get back from Glasgow quicker,

Could you not just use the Floo Network?

Machiavelli

I was on the 1 yesterday and discovered a guilty pleasure that I never knew I had. When the bus is full and the driver won’t let people on, the look on their faces standing at the bus stop as the bus pulls away genuinely made my day(the result was a cherry on top).

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Should've gone to the pub for a pint or two to allow the traffic to clear. 

:beer:

☺️best reply yet.

Francis Albert
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:47, Harry Potter said:

Never known anything like it mate, deserved a mention on here , should have walked up balgreen road 

and got a 26, ☺️

Used to have a choice of 26 or 1 to get to Tynie. Only made the wrong choice once. The 1 must be the worse bus in the city. OK I assume the single deck is because of a low bridge but you'd think they'd compensate with more frequent services. Also apart from the traffic on the route which always seems bad it must have the most frequent stops of any route. It seems never to go more than about 70 or 80 yards without a stop.

56 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Used to have a choice of 26 or 1 to get to Tynie. Only made the wrong choice once. The 1 must be the worse bus in the city. OK I assume the single deck is because of a low bridge but you'd think they'd compensate with more frequent services. Also apart from the traffic on the route which always seems bad it must have the most frequent stops of any route. It seems never to go more than about 70 or 80 yards without a stop.

Highly doubt this. Got the 1 many times as a kid from Corstorphine, use to always be a double decker. Ironically, it was hardly ever for a game - 26 to Roseburn use to be the order of the day. I know the route may have changed, but I can't see where a low bridge comes into play.

On the wider point. I honestly believe we have a huge traffic management problem in Scotland/the UK. If you contrast traffic management in the US, the view they have is more liberal - create more possible routes, more entrances and exits (to supermarkets, shopping centres), then you allow people to go the most direct route and dilute the number going through the main road entrance/exit. Here, what we seem to do is try and over manage traffic by providing single road routes/entrances to retail/supermarkets/neighbourhoods - it ends up creating more congestion. 

Just as an example that people on here will be familiar with; Tesco Corstorphine - the cross roads at meadowplace road create congestion in every direction at busy times. Several times over the years, they'd had to call the police to direct traffic and maintain calm. Incidentally, this junction probably added 15/20 mins alone to the OP's journey on Saturday. If this was the States, you'd have another exit on Gylemuir Road, allowing cars to travel between PC World/Pets at Home/McDonalds without having to go through this junction and connext with meadowplace rd further up. You'd then have a connection between Gylemuir Rd and Glasgow Rd.  Similarly, they'd probably also have an entrance from Wester Broom Pl.  If you did this, you'd drop the number of cars using Meadowplace Rd and the junction, meaning a reduction in bus times for every bus on that route.  

I've been saying for years that the whole 'Best Bus Service in the UK' doesn't mean we have a good public transport system. Almost every city of our size will have buses, but they will also have i)light rail, ii)inner-city rail, iii)rapid transit (metro/subway) - Edinburgh has light rail and a handful on inner-city stations, but they aren't really systems and they don't significantly contribute towards a reduction in travel times. On many of the major arterial routes into the city centre, buses are actually a cause of congestion and getting a bus from one place in the city centre to another isn't practical because journey times make walking quicker. 

Instead of introducing charges for taking your car, providing more cycle lanes and constantly upgrading Lothian Buses fleet, we need to get serious about providing public transport which delivers what people actually want and need: that's reliable, comfortable and fast public transit. By constantly adding more public transport to the roads, you're not doing anything to reduce journey times - with expected population growth, it's just not sustainable long term. 

Edit: Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Toggie88

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Double deckers have been used on the No1 route.

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yep, for many years.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

:lol: 

Problem with that mate, i was booked to take my wife in the car to work,  so that option was a big no no, lol.

15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Problem with that mate, i was booked to take my wife in the car to work,  so that option was a big no no, lol.

Nae luck Harold!

:lol: 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The fact that a busy route uses one deckers including the only time I have used it in recent times  just led me to assume there was a reason for not using double deckers.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The fact that a busy route uses one deckers including the only time I have used it in recent times  just led me to assume there was a reason for not using double deckers.

It’s just now and again they are used.

I generally get the 1 to the game but never going home.  Walking to Roseburn for a 26 or 31 is usually quicker than waiting for the 1 to get through the post match gridlock in Gorgie.

There really needs to be some priority to get traffic flowing on Gorgie Road post match such as holding green lights.

Craig Gordons Gloves
6 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Highly doubt this. Got the 1 many times as a kid from Corstorphine, use to always be a double decker. Ironically, it was hardly ever for a game - 26 to Roseburn use to be the order of the day. I know the route may have changed, but I can't see where a low bridge comes into play.

On the wider point. I honestly believe we have a huge traffic management problem in Scotland/the UK. If you contrast traffic management in the US, the view they have is more liberal - create more possible routes, more entrances and exits (to supermarkets, shopping centres), then you allow people to go the most direct route and dilute the number going through the main road entrance/exit. Here, what we seem to do is try and over manage traffic by providing single road routes/entrances to retail/supermarkets/neighbourhoods - it ends up creating more congestion. 

Just as an example that people on here will be familiar with; Tesco Corstorphine - the cross roads at meadowplace road create congestion in every direction at busy times. Several times over the years, they'd had to call the police to direct traffic and maintain calm. Incidentally, this junction probably added 15/20 mins alone to the OP's journey on Saturday. If this was the States, you'd have another exit on Gylemuir Road, allowing cars to travel between PC World/Pets at Home/McDonalds without having to go through this junction and connext with meadowplace rd further up. You'd then have a connection between Gylemuir Rd and Glasgow Rd.  Similarly, they'd probably also have an entrance from Wester Broom Pl.  If you did this, you'd drop the number of cars using Meadowplace Rd and the junction, meaning a reduction in bus times for every bus on that route.  

I've been saying for years that the whole 'Best Bus Service in the UK' doesn't mean we have a good public transport system. Almost every city of our size will have buses, but they will also have i)light rail, ii)inner-city rail, iii)rapid transit (metro/subway) - Edinburgh has light rail and a handful on inner-city stations, but they aren't really systems and they don't significantly contribute towards a reduction in travel times. On many of the major arterial routes into the city centre, buses are actually a cause of congestion and getting a bus from one place in the city centre to another isn't practical because journey times make walking quicker. 

Instead of introducing charges for taking your car, providing more cycle lanes and constantly upgrading Lothian Buses fleet, we need to get serious about providing public transport which delivers what people actually want and need: that's reliable, comfortable and fast public transit. By constantly adding more public transport to the roads, you're not doing anything to reduce journey times - with expected population growth, it's just not sustainable long term. 

Edit: Sorry for the rant.

I disagree slightly with your point about the US, while it's undoubtebly easier in many places given that the cities etc are built on a premise of car use as opposed to Euro cities, there's also numerous studies that show the more roads and infrastructure that's put in place around car travel, the more they tend to fill up. Atlanta is a great example, they have wide freeways, sometimes up to 6 lanes but they also have a horrendous traffic problem, trying to turn out of somewhere, across traffic without the benefits of traffic control can be a disaster.  Atlanta also has a pretty decent train system but the growth of the city has meant more and more cars and trucks being on the roads.  LA is another great example, massive freeways that are always coming to a standstill.  Im not an expert in the slightest but modern urban planning needs a very joined up approach with regards traffic management/public transport/infrastructure/demographics etc that unfortunately costs alot and as such, most cities don't have the ability to create workable solutions and instead create a tram line, or a congestion charge but don't look at the overall picture.