People On Bikes,

Harry Potter

22 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Cyclists now want to be called People on bikes, aye whatever, whats folks thoughts on a name for them.

No they don't - stop making shit up.

Placid Casual
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Cyclists now want to be called People on bikes, aye whatever, whats folks thoughts on a name for them.

No. No, they don’t. “Scientists in Australia have suggested the word 'cyclist' be replaced with 'people who ride bikes’...”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/calls-word-cyclist-banned-because-14193887

Instead, let’s maybe think of a name for people who read someone’s opinion and applies to a whole f**kin' group of people?

Edited by Placid Casual

Harry Potter
50 minutes ago, Dunks said:

No they don't - stop making shit up.

It was on Radio Forth 2 , why would i make it up, ☹️

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

It was on Radio Forth 2 , why would i make it up, ☹️

Stop believing made up shit on the radio. It's all bollocks.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Not true, I prefer the term Cyco.

There is nothing better than watching arsehole cyclists taking on arsehole drivers who drive for a living.

Edited by DETTY29

Harry Potter
21 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Arseholes who take their bikes onto busy trains and take up seats. Just **** off.  ??

used to have a wee carriage at the back for bikes, lol

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Not this cyclist; I would like to be known as "Phoenix Milan the Iron-thighed Man of the Bike" please.

Or I P ‘Eddie Merckx’ Knightley’?

:) 

SectionDJambo

I drive a car for convenience and go out cycling to try to keep fit. I see both sides of this cars v bikes infatuation.

Driving in Edinburgh, I see quite a few cyclists who do little to prevent bad feeling from motorists towards them, by the way they behave. I also see far more motorists who behave badly, certainly not driving their cars the way they must have to pass their driving test. I would say that poor car drivers cause other car drivers far more inconvenience, and danger, than most cyclists do.

Then there are pedestrians who step off pavements without looking, or just walk over the road, expecting motorists to avoid them, frequently whilst looking at their phones.

To summarise, there are idiots in all forms of getting around. 

In a few years it won’t matter anyway, as Edinburgh council seem intent on banning cars everywhere they can. So it will become a cyclists v pedestrians infatuation instead.

4 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Arseholes who take their bikes onto busy trains and take up seats. Just **** off.  ??

A guy tried to get one on a bus I was on last week. Tried. :smiley2:

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

Or I P ‘Eddie Merckx’ Knightley’?

:) 

That's just a bit too derivative and hardly befitting a man of my lycra stature.

(I don't wear lycra. I'm 53 years old with a tiny bit of dignity remaining).

Howdy Doody Jambo

People on bikes on the road should have registration plates and be  accountable for road traffic offences like all other road users and as for the canal, it's like a racing ? track in the morning with them speeding well over 20mph, they forget it's a walkway first and foremost 

been here before
28 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

People on bikes on the road should have registration plates and be  accountable for road traffic offences like all other road users and as for the canal, it's like a racing ? track in the morning with them speeding well over 20mph, they forget it's a walkway first and foremost 

Is it?

Theres nothing I can see on the Scottish canal website that says that.

Edited by been here before

Howdy Doody Jambo
9 minutes ago, been here before said:

Is it?

Theres nothing I can see on the Scottish canal website that says that.

Well you could include a horse's track also that towed  the barges 

been here before
Just now, Old Castle Rock said:

Well you could include a horse's track also that towed  the barges 

Indeed.

The path is for everyone who choses to use it and isnt for anyone 'first and foremost'.

Better call Saul
7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I have to admit it's not a part of Edinburgh I would fancy taking my expensive barge through ( if i had one)..it would be like that scene in still game when their on the dingy going through park mill.

John Findlay

I love those hardcore cyclists. Had a guy at Waverley station yesterday. Can I quickly put my bike here I'm getting off at Haymarket. I enquired why he just didn't ride his bike there. Afterall a straight flat road. Mate I'm knackered I've cycled 6 miles already. I walk double that when on shift. Seriously alot of then the bike is just for show. Hey look at me I'm helping to save the planet.

been here before
42 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I love those hardcore cyclists. Had a guy at Waverley station yesterday. Can I quickly put my bike here I'm getting off at Haymarket. I enquired why he just didn't ride his bike there. Afterall a straight flat road. Mate I'm knackered I've cycled 6 miles already. I walk double that when on shift. Seriously alot of then the bike is just for show. Hey look at me I'm helping to save the planet.

Good story.

What made him a "hardcore cyclist" though? Sounds like you might be a bit of a hardcore walker.

Edited by been here before

John Findlay
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Good story.

What made him a "hardcore cyclist" though? Sounds like you might be a bit of a hardcore walker.

That was sarcasm on my part. I walk that as part of my job

I have no problem with “people on bikes” who follow the rules of the road.

Its the ****s that want to be a car, a pedestrain and a cyclist all when it suits them that can **** off.

And those not suitably attired but instead dress like a ninja at night time and wonder why they almost get killed.

I cycle to work (with a no visible lycra rule) and my experience is that most drivers and cyclists are fine.

You do get a few drivers who are impatient arseholes and hate being stuck behind a cyclist adding about 10 seconds to their journey but most overtake with plenty space.

Cyclists who jump red lights or cycle on pavements grind my gears but generally a minority bar the glorious moment a year or so back at Queen Charlotte Street, where a cyclist overtook me on my bike and then a police car in the line of traffic and went through a temporary red light and promptly got pulled over.

Carl Weathers
4 hours ago, Costanza said:

I cycle to work (with a no visible lycra rule) and my experience is that most drivers and cyclists are fine.

You do get a few drivers who are impatient arseholes and hate being stuck behind a cyclist adding about 10 seconds to their journey but most overtake with plenty space.

Cyclists who jump red lights or cycle on pavements grind my gears but generally a minority bar the glorious moment a year or so back at Queen Charlotte Street, where a cyclist overtook me on my bike and then a police car in the line of traffic and went through a temporary red light and promptly got pulled over.

I agree with this. I'm both a motorist and a cyclist and haven't had any real problems. 

I cycle because allows me to explore the countryside whilst getting fitter. Great for the body and mind. I'd recommend it to anyone. 

I am always curious to know why so many people hate cyclists. I'm just a normal person who enjoys cycling now and again. Not an ecowarrior do gooder. 

6 hours ago, gjcc said:

Merge with leggings thread please, mods. 

In anticipation of the mods granting your request.

34f335fc161b3d81e919e833dbb752e5.jpg

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, gjcc said:

Merge with leggings thread please, mods. 

No!! The leggings thread is decent. 

57 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Good idea. ;)

3831D0EA-CF96-4626-9543-81E521A12699.jpeg

That is why they should not be merged haha!