Buying a house!

Baillie07

Hi folks, looking for any recommendations on an estate agent to buy a house through? A roughy idea on what fees are expected to pay aswell cheers 

1 hour ago, Baillie07 said:

Hi folks, looking for any recommendations on an estate agent to buy a house through? A roughy idea on what fees are expected to pay aswell cheers 

The estate agent will be determined by the seller, you will however need a mortgage broker and a solicitor.

Mortgage broker i'd recommend First Mortgage who have offices in Tollcross and Leith and we used one of two solicitors that they recommended (Gilson Grey). Often you get a better deal from solicitors if the broker makes the introduction but budget 1.5k for fee's.

Edit: Should have said that you can sometimes offset the fee's by taking a mortgage that offers cashback, with ours we pay a slightly higher interest rate but got 1k cashback, the cashback was more than the difference in interest rates over the fixed 2 years.

Edited by Ribble

54 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The estate agent will be determined by the seller, you will however need a mortgage broker and a solicitor.

Mortgage broker i'd recommend First Mortgage who have offices in Tollcross and Leith and we used one of two solicitors that they recommended (Gilson Grey). Often you get a better deal from solicitors if the broker makes the introduction but budget 1.5k for fee's.

Edit: Should have said that you can sometimes offset the fee's by taking a mortgage that offers cashback, with ours we pay a slightly higher interest rate but got 1k cashback, the cashback was more than the difference in interest rates over the fixed 2 years.

Thanks for the info, I should of stated that it’s just a solicitor that is need in this situation, I see that you used Gilson grey! Is 1.5k for just buying the property I take it? 

I’d steer clear of Gilson Grey if you can. First mortgage on walker street were great with me but don’t recommend gilson grey anymore after the stunt they pulled.

12 minutes ago, Baillie07 said:

Thanks for the info, I should of stated that it’s just a solicitor that is need in this situation, I see that you used Gilson grey! Is 1.5k for just buying the property I take it? 

We paid a fixed fee of something like 1k plus vat, covered everything from placing all bids to processing the purchase, land registry fees etc

we luckily got the first place we bi on but we’re covered in the fixed fee for unlimited bids so watch if a solicitor charges a fee per property for bids 

3 minutes ago, mutley said:

I’d steer clear of Gilson Grey if you can. First mortgage on walker street were great with me but don’t recommend gilson grey anymore after the stunt they pulled.

Didnt have any issues with them, what did they do?

Tried to claim that the neighbour owned the kitchen, due to a mistake made when the neighbours plans were drawn up.

They are still after 5k plus another 5k in fees from the elderly lady I tried to buy it from. She is stuck there until it’s sorted, when it finally gets to the land registry to sort out the don’t have a leg to stand on and apparently won’t contest it.

6 months after my move in date I had to pull out and look elsewhere 

Auld Reekin'

I've always found Lindsay's solicitors to be very good - they won't be the cheapest, but are very thorough and professional.

2 hours ago, Meadows said:

I’m selling a two bed in Forrester .... hint hint 

Which solicitor are you using?