LGBT School Protests

moogsy

https://news.sky.com/story/lessons-about-gay-relationships-spark-protests-outside-birmingham-school-11674897

Disgraceful scenes. Very unsettling that some schools have already stopped teaching these lessons, pandering to the protestors.

If the parents don’t like it they should home school their kids. 

With Islam being the fastest growing religion in the UK is this perhaps a worrying sign of things to come in terms of a step backward for LGBT rights? 

Needs to be nipped in the bud IMO and these parents told to **** off. 

Edited by moogsy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Governor Tarkin

• JudyJudyJudy

• moogsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ron Burgundy

Agreed, if their religion is the issue then they should be advised to move to a country more suitable to their beliefs ( a backward insular country).

They won't be told that though as that would be deemed unacceptable and racist so they will no doubt force their way upon the rest.

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, moogsy said:

https://news.sky.com/story/lessons-about-gay-relationships-spark-protests-outside-birmingham-school-11674897

Disgraceful scenes. Very unsettling that some schools have already stopped teaching these lessons, pandering to the protestors.

With Islam being the fastest growing religion in the UK is this perhaps a worrying sign of things to come in terms of a step backward for LGBT rights? 

I agree it's a disgrace but regarding your bolded part then a bit of context, it might be the fastest growing religion but that's because all the main ones are decreasing rapidly. Islam is and always will be practised by a minority in this country. 

14 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Agreed, if their religion is the issue then they should be advised to move to a country more suitable to their beliefs ( a backward insular country).

They won't be told that though as that would be deemed unacceptable and racist so they will no doubt force their way upon the rest.

Of course you'd never hear of Christians doing that, would you?

https://barnabasfund.org/en/news/muslim-and-christian-parents-withdraw-children-from-uk-school-in-protest-over-lgbt-content-in

Where would you advise they move to?

Let's not pretend that it's only Muslim parents that are unhappy.

Plenty of Christians, Jews and other peoples of faith are also raging about kids being taught that it doesn't matter who you fall in love with.

In fact, many of these same loonies are still uneasy about male nursery/primary school teachers.

This is just another one of these tricky cases where organised religion runs head on into 21st century western values.

Their right to follow any religion they want are incompatible with the rights of the individual to choose their own path and the duty of the state to inform people of those choices.

20 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I agree it's a disgrace but regarding your bolded part then a bit of context, it might be the fastest growing religion but that's because all the main ones are decreasing rapidly. Islam is and always will be practised by a minority in this country. 

Of course that’s true but as a percentage of the population numbers will continue to rise and I think it’s a valid concern that things like this may become more common. Stopping the lessons in the schools which have done so was completely the wrong thing to do and sends a message out to others that if they behave in the same manner they’ll achieve the same result.

There are obviously people of different faiths who have issues with the teaching of homosexuality and they should also be told to do one but in these particular schools the vast majority of parents and pupils are Muslims.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, moogsy said:

Of course that’s true but as a percentage of the population numbers will continue to rise and I think it’s a valid concern that things like this may become more common. Stopping the lessons in the schools which have done so was completely the wrong thing to do and sends a message out to others that if they behave in the same manner they’ll achieve the same result.

There are obviously people of different faiths who have issues with the teaching of homosexuality and they should also be told to do one but in these particular schools the vast majority of parents and pupils are Muslims.

I think for me there are two things need addressed on this issue, the first relates to religion in general and the second Islam in particular;

1. People's right to religious freedom should never trump the rights of other people to live the life they want and for the State to educate it's citizens at an early age about the diversity and differences of the people in this country. Essentially, despite our history, we are a secular nation and should act accordingly, allowing people to be religious but giving it zero influence over any policy or laws. 

2. It's obvious to everyone that there are potentially many more clashes between Islam and a secular nation like the UK than between other religions due to the fact that Islam has more areas it directly conflicts with our general values and Muslims also tend to be more faithful adherents to their religion than Catholics for example, so while Catholicism has backward views on homosexuality, the majority of Catholics over here are likely tolerant. As a nation, we need to be braver at pointing out to all religions but Islam in particular that your religious views are not in keeping with the views of the state, and as much as we protect your rights to hold them, we absolutely won't compromise in holding true to them. The reason I highlight Islam in particular is that I think in the UK we are scared to offend Muslims more so than other religions because we don't want to be seen as racist or Islamophobic but it isn't about that and we need to be braver around this. 

All imo. 

Ron Burgundy
35 minutes ago, Boris said:

https://barnabasfund.org/en/news/muslim-and-christian-parents-withdraw-children-from-uk-school-in-protest-over-lgbt-content-in

Saudi Arabia.

And if Christians were/are doing that then they can feck off as well.

1 hour ago, moogsy said:

:spoton: 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Should ****ing ban teaching about religion.

Oh, they should teach about it. Weekly 'Why religion is a load of bollocks' lessons.

I just don't understand why it matters. Honestly who cares in this day and age? Children will meet children whose parents are same sex. Isn't it better that they understand that this is, actually the way things are in the real world? My upbringing couldn't have been more different from my daughters. I went to an all white primary school. One Ugandan Asian arrived and, because he had a speedo on his pushbike everyone was his mate. My secondary school had one mixed race female. She was tidy so everyone liked her. I didn't know anyone who was openly gay until I was in my 20's.

My daughter went to school in Leith with kids whose parents were from all over the world. They celebrated Xmas, Diwali, Chinese New Year etc. She's had gay friends since primary school.

She went to Sunday school for as long as she enjoyed it and then binned it when she was in her teens. Though I would say I'm Christian(ish) she isn't and that's fine. I genuinely don't understand in the 21st century why anyone gives a ****!

Edited by Jamhammer

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Of course there are reactionary non Muslims. Sadly though, people seem to indulge in whatabootery rather than tackle the prejudice itself.

Geoff the Mince

Maajid Nawaz on his LBC show on Sunday interviewed the leader of the protests which you can catch online . Its a good listen .

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Probably some backwater shitehole in the American deep south. On a serious note though, anyone behaving like that regardless of religion, nationality etc could do with growing the **** up and realising that times have changed from when some silly book was written

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think for me there are two things need addressed on this issue, the first relates to religion in general and the second Islam in particular;

1. People's right to religious freedom should never trump the rights of other people to live the life they want and for the State to educate it's citizens at an early age about the diversity and differences of the people in this country. Essentially, despite our history, we are a secular nation and should act accordingly, allowing people to be religious but giving it zero influence over any policy or laws. 

2. It's obvious to everyone that there are potentially many more clashes between Islam and a secular nation like the UK than between other religions due to the fact that Islam has more areas it directly conflicts with our general values and Muslims also tend to be more faithful adherents to their religion than Catholics for example, so while Catholicism has backward views on homosexuality, the majority of Catholics over here are likely tolerant. As a nation, we need to be braver at pointing out to all religions but Islam in particular that your religious views are not in keeping with the views of the state, and as much as we protect your rights to hold them, we absolutely won't compromise in holding true to them. The reason I highlight Islam in particular is that I think in the UK we are scared to offend Muslims more so than other religions because we don't want to be seen as racist or Islamophobic but it isn't about that and we need to be braver around this. 

All imo. 

Good post and I agree 100%.

I really hope the schools receive the political backing they need on this issue and the ones who have had to temporarily stop the lessons can resume ASAP.

From first hand experience there seems to be a real issue within Islam about homosexuality and not just on the fringes. I lived with a Muslim girl for over a year and whilst her and her social group were lovely people, their attitudes towards homosexuality were stuck in the dark ages. I think it needs to be tackled head on.

ToadKiller Dog

I don't think it's correct to just focus on Muslim views towards Lbgt issues, they are pretty similar to where main stream western views were well up until the late 80s at least, wasnt that long ago Brian Soutar and his keep section 28 vote. 

And US style Christian fundementalisim is though small has a growing number of backers in the UK. 

We seem to be in a period where older less tolerent, some might say prejudiced ignorant views are starting to fight back against modern cultures  and views, it was always going to happen. 

Ignorance is on the rise not just from religions. Flat earther views getting a hearing? 

Goves famous comment about having heard enough from experts etc 

Schools and ofsted need to refuse to back down against those protesting. 

To me the rules of law has precedence over religion and parents prejudices. 

35 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I don't think it's correct to just focus on Muslim views towards Lbgt issues, they are pretty similar to where main stream western views were well up until the late 80s at least, wasnt that long ago Brian Soutar and his keep section 28 vote. 

And US style Christian fundementalisim is though small has a growing number of backers in the UK. 

We seem to be in a period where older less tolerent, some might say prejudiced ignorant views are starting to fight back against modern cultures  and views, it was always going to happen. 

Ignorance is on the rise not just from religions. Flat earther views getting a hearing? 

What is clear is that the LGBT community seem to be overly tolerant to these hideous religious ideologies (the love in is absolutely bizarre) but these religious ideologies are completely 100% intolerant of them.

Ron Burgundy
54 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I was around in the 80's and missed all those gay men being thrown from buildings in the UK.

Just now, Irufushi said:

:spoton:

They want their faith schools plus they want to control the curriculum of non faith schools.  

Inch Hearts

Just wait and see what it will be like In 20 years time :lol: 

The country is seriously ****ed.  Religion nor sexual priorities should be an issue at all in this day and age.  Now we’re going to have religion against sexual preferences in the country and it’s all about not offending the other.  

For the record also, Roman Catholic is now moving away from the anti-homosexual stance.  

28 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I was around in the 80's and missed all those gay men being thrown from buildings in the UK.

Within living memory the UK was chemically castrating gay men.

Inch Hearts
11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

They want their faith schools plus they want to control the curriculum of non faith schools.  

I can see why a Muslim wouldn’t want their children taught against anti Muslim beliefs.  The problem is this isn’t a Muslim country, it’s a Christian country that welcomes all beliefs.  I couldn’t walk into Egypt or Sharm El... and demand my child in a local school is briefed on Christian values then after that be outraged if my child was in a school of Muslim believers saying being gay was bad etc, I move there I accept their way of life, not force upon mine.  

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I can see why a Muslim wouldn’t want their children taught against anti Muslim beliefs.  The problem is this isn’t a Muslim country, it’s a Christian country that welcomes all beliefs.  I couldn’t walk into Egypt or Sharm El... and demand my child in a local school is briefed on Christian values then after that be outraged if my child was in a school of Muslim believers saying being gay was bad etc, I move there I accept their way of life, not force upon mine.  

It is all big one way street and people seem content and desperate to pander to this injustice morning noon and night.

ToadKiller Dog
38 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Muslims were doing this in the UK must have missed that too. 

Not one of the protests at the school are calling for death to the the lgbt community. 

I'm old enough to remember the NF types setting out deliberately to find gay men to beat up or Asian men or black men, anybody who was different. 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Guest Paul Allen

Looks like a lot of folk on this thread haven't read the Sky News article. The parents aren't protesting because it's against their religion, they're saying four years old it too young to be learning about transgender and LGBT sex education and I am completely with them on that. Same goes for any kind of sex education at such a young age, imo.

2 minutes ago, Paul Allen said:

Looks like a lot of folk on this thread haven't read the Sky News article. The parents aren't protesting because it's against their religion, they're saying four years old it too young to be learning about transgender and LGBT sex education and I am completely with them on that. Same goes for any kind of sex education at such a young age, imo.

Why, exactly, is it a problem for children to be taught about same-sex couples and gender diversity? If you can talk about mummy and daddy's relationship without mentioning that they **** each other, it can be done for same-sex couples too.

Guest Paul Allen
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Why, exactly, is it a problem for children to be taught about same-sex couples and gender diversity? If you can talk about mummy and daddy's relationship without mentioning that they **** each other, it can be done for same-sex couples too.

I think you might have misread my post mate. I personally wouldn't teach any sex education to four-year-olds.

ToadKiller Dog
5 minutes ago, Paul Allen said:

I get where you are coming from on that, I don't know actually what's being taught but I don't think it sex education. At that age more relationship, like some kids have 2 mums or two dads and it's ok to feel different, I'm ok with that. 

But agree 4s to early for sex talk. 

1 minute ago, Paul Allen said:

I think you might have misread my post mate. I personally wouldn't teach any sex education to four-year-olds.

Fair enough, maybe I did--I just imagine the extent of this "sex education" doesn't touch on actual sex at all.

AlphonseCapone

Teaching kids at a younger age about what sex is and what is OK and isn't might help those kids in awful situations realise that what a trusted adult is doing to them isn't OK at a much earlier stage. 

Ron Burgundy
18 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And within living memory a man who was instrumental in winning World War II committed suicide, after being convicted of "gross indecency" and choosing to undergo that procedure in lieu of prison, betrayed by those he'd saved.

Correct and we as a society progressed and became more tolerant and understanding.

Other societies seem content to live in the dark ages and rather than state categorically that it is completely unacceptable for fear of being called racist/prejudiced, we pander and excuse them for saying things like well we were really backward years ago.

I remember Hearts fans chucking bananas at Walters, doesn't mean we cannot condemn racism now as it was only a few years ago.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Should ****ing ban teaching about religion.

This would be far more progressive. Unfortunately, the government is in cahoots with Christian extremists. 

35 minutes ago, Paul Allen said:

I think it’s you who has misunderstood. 

There is abslutely nothing at all about sexual acts in the lessons that are being protested. It simply contains pictures of same sex couples in a relationship with children and teaches this as being normal. Which it is.

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Saudi Arabia.

And if Christians were/are doing that then they can feck off as well.

2 posts of epic stupidity and ignorance. :rofl:

1 hour ago, Paul Allen said:

To suggest their views are not derived from their hideous ideology they follow is lunacy.

I'm just annoyed that the free education we provide for them is not up to their standard to be honest.

Inch Hearts
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It is all big one way street and people seem content and desperate to pander to this injustice morning noon and night.

Yep.  And if you’re a working white straight male you’ve literally no chance.  Especially when it comes to children,  

AlphonseCapone
31 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yep.  And if you’re a working white straight male you’ve literally no chance.  Especially when it comes to children,  

What do you mean? 

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Why not just let kids be kids for a change.  Good on the parents.

I think a few folk aren't quite understanding what sex education involves at that age. It isn't "Here's how people ****. If you're getting your hole, mind the johnnies." 

It's sex education as in "These are how boys are different than girls. When you're older, you'll probably form relationships with someone else. Some form them with same sex folk, some with other sexes. Either is fine." 

It's not like they're teaching them about the right way to give a reach around, the dangers of oil based lube and condoms, and how to give someone a Cleveland steamer.

Still, the parents are perfectly entitled to protest against it. I just hope the schools and government don't give in to them. Or give in anymore, at least. 

Edited by Normthebarman

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Why not just let kids be kids for a change.  Good on the parents.

Its being taught as part of their sex education. If youre old enough to know about sex, then you're old enough to know about it all. 

Also, the average age a male is confronted with their first hardcore image is 8. So, let kids be kids is a nonsense when porn is so rife. 

Guest Paul Allen
24 minutes ago, The Brow said:

the average age a male is confronted with their first hardcore image is 8. So, let kids be kids is a nonsense when porn is so rife. 

:lol: What’s your source for this? Sounds like made up bullshit to me. No offence, like.