Slaughter free meat

Marvin

Regarding beef, it'll reduce the methane that damages the ozone layer. 

For everything else it's probably just going to destroy farmers.

Research into this has been going on for a while. I watched a programme last year where some guy ate a burger made from lab produced 'beef'. 

Here's a video from 5 years ago.

Reminds of the film, The Fly, when Geoff Goldblum put a steak through that crazy teleporter thingy he had build. Got that lassie to try it and she was sick !

Let it lie, I say !

the one thing i think about what would we do with say the cows that are used for beef? We as a species dont have a right to wipe out cows due to not needing them for beef (yes milk)

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the one thing i think about what would we do with say the cows that are used for beef? We as a species dont have a right to wipe out cows due to not needing them for beef (yes milk)

Modern livestock wouldn't be able to survive in the wild.

They are 100% dependent on us.

Male cattle tend to be killed in their first few days unless they are being bred as a breeding bull.

Veal isn't sold much over here so male cows are simply disposed of.

Bindy Badgy
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

These species are around as a result of selective breeding so I don't think there's any moral need to keep them around, particularly when you consider that their existing is pushing wild animals towards extinction.

Additionally, their lives are shit. If you gave me the choice between not existing and being a farm animal I would choose not existing.

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Research into this has been going on for a while. I watched a programme last year where some guy ate a burger made from lab produced 'beef'. 

Here's a video from 5 years ago.

I've watched a couple of things about this too. The big problems are that the meat we eat has been exercised, and it contains fats and other substances that occur naturally in living bodies. Without these elements lab grown meat is tasteless and of a weird texture.

It'll be interesting to see if they're able to meet these challenges in a cost effective way.

6 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the one thing i think about what would we do with say the cows that are used for beef? 

Stick them in the Zoo. Well if the vegans and animal protesters get their way that'll be the only place where you will find them.

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

These species are around as a result of selective breeding so I don't think there's any moral need to keep them around, particularly when you consider that their existing is pushing wild animals towards extinction.

Additionally, their lives are shit. If you gave me the choice between not existing and being a farm animal I would choose not existing.

Hardly comparable. And many humans are denied that choice anyway when they are elderly and sick beyond help. 

Anyway, this is interesting. On the surface it seems like a no brainer from an environmental point of view and world hunger. However, we'd need to be really careful about the health implications. It's easy enough to say it's fine but we'd need proper longitudinal studies. Also, what's the impact on farmer's and the current farm animals as it won't end with beef if it's a success. 

20 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Hardly comparable. And many humans are denied that choice anyway when they are elderly and sick beyond help. 

Anyway, this is interesting. On the surface it seems like a no brainer from an environmental point of view and world hunger. However, we'd need to be really careful about the health implications. It's easy enough to say it's fine but we'd need proper longitudinal studies. Also, what's the impact on farmer's and the current farm animals as it won't end with beef if it's a success. 

This article mentions that companies are already started on chicken, duck and pork.

Pork is an interesting one. As far as I understand,  Muslims and Jews won't eat pork (among other things), because their holy books say they're unclean animals. I wonder if Muhmmad and Abraham would be able to munch, guilt free, on a lovely bacon roll?

47 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

This article mentions that companies are already started on chicken, duck and pork.

Pork is an interesting one. As far as I understand,  Muslims and Jews won't eat pork (among other things), because their holy books say they're unclean animals. I wonder if Muhmmad and Abraham would be able to munch, guilt free, on a lovely bacon roll?

Not using this method I'd have thought, as the cells for the lab meat are initially harvested from a live animal. 

This is a good idea.  The environmental impact of the meat industry is very high, so anything that can be done to reduce that is worthwhile. 

Bovines were wild animals before humans domesticated them so, given time, they will re-adjust to living wild again.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've watched a couple of things about this too. The big problems are that the meat we eat has been exercised, and it contains fats and other substances that occur naturally in living bodies. Without these elements lab grown meat is tasteless and of a weird texture.

It'll be interesting to see if they're able to meet these challenges in a cost effective way.

This has got to be the biggest challenge they have. Steak without marbled fat to melt into it wouldn't be the same. No pork crackling? Chicken thighs, juicier than breast because it's a well worked joint would be no different.  Just chicken, just beef, just pork..  

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the 'impossible burger'. I think it's plant based as opposed to lab grown, however it's apparently indistinguishable between a normal meat burger - seen a few reviews from people claiming it's actually better. 

34 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the 'impossible burger'. I think it's plant based as opposed to lab grown, however it's apparently indistinguishable between a normal meat burger - seen a few reviews from people claiming it's actually better. 

Impossible!!

43 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Over here, certain fast food outlets sell something called a "Beyond Meat Burger".  It's 100% plant-based and it is indistinguishable from a normal meat burger.

52 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Over here, certain fast food outlets sell something called a "Beyond Meat Burger".  It's 100% plant-based and it is indistinguishable from a normal meat burger.

Appears it's over here as well now, Bob: https://www.livekindly.co/vegan-beyond-burger-arrives-at-tesco-uk-supermarkets-nationwide/

Will need to give them a go. 

AlphonseCapone
On 26/03/2019 at 20:32, Maple Leaf said:

This is a good idea.  The environmental impact of the meat industry is very high, so anything that can be done to reduce that is worthwhile. 

Bovines were wild animals before humans domesticated them so, given time, they will re-adjust to living wild again.

Not convinced that would be the case tbh. 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

No-one knows for sure, of course, but there are populations of wild animals at different places in the world that originated from domesticated animals.  Horses, cats, and camels come to mind.

8 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Appears it's over here as well now, Bob: https://www.livekindly.co/vegan-beyond-burger-arrives-at-tesco-uk-supermarkets-nationwide/

Will need to give them a go. 

I really like them, and haven't had a beef burger since I tried the Beyond burgers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

When first introduced here, the demand was so great that the supplier ran out of stock. :shockio: 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Ah, so that's what that south park was about!

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Wild cows already exist, but anyway, there'll still be a market for animal grown meat, probably from hipsters. They won't die out, we'll just farm them less intensely.

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Ah, so that's what that south park was about!

Wild cows already exist, but anyway, there'll still be a market for animal grown meat, probably from hipsters. They won't die out, we'll just farm them less intensely.

So do wild dogs but I'm no sending Rover out into the wild ?