Cletus Nombil - work permit application rejected (title updated)

Inch Hearts

Portable Badger

Still a few hurdles to jump before he can sign for us then.  Hope they give his application a fair review - similar situations have been refused a visa

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inch Hearts

• mitch41

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• JamboAl

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

Still a few hurdles to jump before he can sign for us then.  Hope they give his application a fair review - similar situations have been refused a visa

Seems a lot of effort for what is really a massive long-term gamble imo

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Seems a lot of effort for what is really a massive long-term gamble imo

Gamble? Not everything is as dramatic as a messageboard would like!!!

Nookie Bear
Just now, TheBigO said:

Gamble? Not everything is as dramatic as a messageboard would like!!!

Heard nothing about this guy to suggest he is up to much. Surely we can find someone of similar ability without having to go through visa and the whole hassle and additional risk  of bringing a young kid in from abroad. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Heard nothing about this guy to suggest he is up to much. Surely we can find someone of similar ability without having to go through visa and the whole hassle and additional risk  of bringing a young kid in from abroad. 

But it just doesn't really matter. It's barely noteworthy. We're taking a punt on a young kid we've seen something in.

Good. Hope it works.

Mr Elwood P
On 08/06/2019 at 00:41, Paulp74 said:

I've just watched his you tube video and nowhere near as good as dauda or malaury Martin.... which tells you everything! 

Not sure why folk persist in mentioning Dauda as some kind of disastrous signing? Scored 5 goals in 13 league games. Has since scored at a decent rate in both the Greek Super League and Turkish League 1. Decent player.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

I'll be surprised if he's granted a work permit, given we need to claim he is an 'exceptional talent.

His CV doesn't really make a strong case for him being such a talent. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

I'll be surprised if he's granted a work permit, given we need to claim he is an 'exceptional talent.

Highly unlikely to get one I’d say

56 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Which bit was too difficult for you to understand? 

Oh I understand your post ok but who knows what is best at this time.

It’s all about opinions.

51 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

29 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Highly unlikely to get one I’d say

On the face of it that is right. But there hasn't been many players knocked back. System seems quite generous. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Manny1874 said:

That's the sticking part, I remember when we had one knocked back for some eastern European kid who's name I forget now, and he had a higher profile than some of the signings that Rangers and Celtic were bringing in, who apparently never ever have one knocked back, good old corrupt Scottish football eh? 

3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's the sticking part, I remember when we had one knocked back for some eastern European kid who's name I forget now, and he had a higher profile than some of the signings that Rangers and Celtic were bringing in, who apparently never ever have one knocked back, good old corrupt Scottish football eh? 

But that is the only one I can think of that has been knocked back and the was 13 years ago. And it was the wrong decision.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership/hleb-finally-on-his-way-to-tynecastle-1-1322159/amp

The Old Tolbooth
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But that is the only one I can think of that has been knocked back and the was 13 years ago. And it was the wrong decision.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership/hleb-finally-on-his-way-to-tynecastle-1-1322159/amp

It wasn't Hleb mate, it was another one, think he was Georgian or something along those lines. 

18 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Gogua I think his name was?  Had a few International caps but we got knocked back. Celtic have applied for a few over recent years with no problem and none have  done much. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It wasn't Hleb mate, it was another one, think he was Georgian or something along those lines. 

Yes that is right. Trying to think of his name. 

Nookie Bear
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Great work

Around the time we signed Laryea Kingston 

Vaguely recall one of the old firm got a player with a similar background  in around that time. 

Rocky jamboa
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not sure why folk persist in mentioning Dauda as some kind of disastrous signing? Scored 5 goals in 13 league games. Has since scored at a decent rate in both the Greek Super League and Turkish League 1. Decent player.

For me, that's the one I always remember thinking he looked amazing from his you tube video but despite the goals record you mentioned, he wasn't as good in real life and a disappointing signing. 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Dauda was absolute garbage 

39 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Vaguely recall one of the old firm got a player with a similar background  in around that time. 

Koki Mizuno?

The Comedian
48 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Celtic signed a couple of Chinese players. Du Wei was one I think.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Manny1874 said:

How was your CV at 18?

FFS. 

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Do Wan. 

Mr Elwood P
37 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

His strike rate for Hearts, plus the level he had played at before and after his spell with us, suggests you might be wrong!

50 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Didn’t he have an absolute shocker when Clyde knocked them out the cup and was never seen again?

:gok:

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Exactly. Our style of play, and the way we asked him to play (back to goal, challenging for balls in the air, holding the ball up and laying it off to other attackers) clearly didn't suit him. He looked to me as if he much preferred playing facing the goals he was attacking, running at defenders, and getting on the end of balls into the box.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

He really wasn't/Isn't. 

Rangers got one for coullibaly last year cos Stevie g said the boy was class. Hardly kicked a ball before his loan ended. Also got one for the boy they had on loan from Roma based on expert opinions. Played 1/2 games and was awful. 

4 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Gogua I think his name was?  Had a few International caps but we got knocked back. Celtic have applied for a few over recent years with no problem and none have  done much. 

And shortly afterwards came on as a sub against Scotland and totally roasted the full back he was against.

Guest ToqueJambo

I am sure the Rod Petrie run SFA will back our attempt to bring an exciting prospect to Scottish football! No conflict of interest there whatsoever.

SpruceBringsteen
4 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Koki Mizuno?

Guy I was going to bring up. Strachan himself won an appeal for his WP by stating that Nakamura was class. Clearly all we need to do is point out that big Mikey Essien is quality and we're home free. :lol:

The Old Tolbooth
On 22/06/2019 at 11:11, stevie1874 said:

That's the fella! Thanks for that as it was bugging me ha ha! 

On 22/06/2019 at 11:35, Nookie Bear said:

I can't remember the player Celtic were given a work permit for at the time, but I do remember that he wasn't anywhere near as promising as our target, good old GFA again. 

On 22/06/2019 at 15:15, Tazio said:

And shortly afterwards came on as a sub against Scotland and totally roasted the full back he was against.

Christ, I'd forgotten about that but you're right, I'm sure we lost that game in Georgia as well, he would've been a cracking player for us. 

• 3 weeks later...
jamboinglasgow

anyone know how this is progressing? Been 3 weeks since it was said he is awaiting a work permit, does anyone know how long that should take?

Totally off topic but not woethy of a separate thread (poating here because assuming Cletus is effectively the same - a wude player signed as a prospect) is Zidan Akers still with the club? Assuming not as haven't really seen him mentioned for some time?

StevenNaismith
10 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Totally off topic but not woethy of a separate thread (poating here because assuming Cletus is effectively the same - a wude player signed as a prospect) is Zidan Akers still with the club? Assuming not as haven't really seen him mentioned for some time?

Sure he went down south last summer, can’t recall who to but I think it was a non league team. Might be wrong though.

WoodenHertz
4 hours ago, RS86 said:

Currently playing for Basingstoke Town in the 7th or 8th level of English football. 

WoodenHertz
6 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

anyone know how this is progressing? Been 3 weeks since it was said he is awaiting a work permit, does anyone know how long that should take?

Looked on the government website at the two potential visas we'd be applying for and it seems like it can take up to eight weeks in both cases. 

• 2 weeks later...
ToadKiller Dog

Sad for the lad ,hope a more enlightened country takes him on.

Mind a panel made up of bitter exhibs players refused Jason Scotland a work permit, mainly because he had put hibs out of the cup previously .

He got his revenge by helping relegate Hibs years later .

And yet Celtic got a permit for Eboue Kouassi who didn't meet criteria.... one rule for one team

Mr Elwood P
14 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

And yet Celtic got a permit for Eboue Kouassi who didn't meet criteria.... one rule for one team

The fact that Celtic were paying £3m for Kouassi, signing him from Krasnodar, would have helped pass the ‘exceptional talent’ test. Hearts trying to sign an 18 year old on a free transfer is not comparable.

fabienleclerq
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The fact that Celtic were paying £3m for Kouassi, signing him from Krasnodar, would have helped pass the ‘exceptional talent’ test. Hearts trying to sign an 18 year old on a free transfer is not comparable.

So really the rules are only Celtic and rangers can sign people who don't qualify via the normal rules as no one else is paying those kind of fees.