Cletus Nombil - work permit application rejected (title updated)

Inch Hearts

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He has no EU passport, no international appearances. Hardly a surprise they said no.

Also, the club saying he’s an “exceptional talent” - we don’t exactly have an eye for it.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inch Hearts

• mitch41

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• JamboAl

2 hours ago, Papa said:

Have we ever had a successful appeal to this so-called unbiased panel? Cant remember one. Seem to remember that it was once made up of ex  Old Firm players. 

Ive heard Gerry Collins is usually on the panel. He has spoken in the past about grezda and shved having been on the hearing on rock sport 

Stephen Muddie

These work permit rules need looked into. Always felt our inability to sign non international, non-eeyeuch players puts us at a disadvantage in European tournaments (when we qualify/don't get slapped by the 3rd place Estonian team) as some countries have different rules, or exemption for entertainers/sportsmen/whatever - they can sign brazillians/Africans etc,  we can't. 

Agree with others that the panel in Scotland is suspicious. OF seem to be able to sign non internationals from non eu. Why is that?

One other question is why isn't it down to the home office instead of corrupt Glasgow blazers? 

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Ibrahim Tall
59 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

These work permit rules need looked into. Always felt our inability to sign non international, non-eeyeuch players puts us at a disadvantage in European tournaments (when we qualify/don't get slapped by the 3rd place Estonian team) as some countries have different rules, or exemption for entertainers/sportsmen/whatever - they can sign brazillians/Africans etc,  we can't. 

Agree with others that the panel in Scotland is suspicious. OF seem to be able to sign non internationals from non eu. Why is that?

One other question is why isn't it down to the home office instead of corrupt Glasgow blazers? 

If it was entirely down to the home office 99% of non-Eu players in Scotland wouldn’t get a permit as they’d be using the same ‘UK’ criteria as down south rather than the exceptions possible here for the SPL being a poorer standard and ranking.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

Stephen Muddie
7 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

If it was entirely down to the home office 99% of non-Eu players in Scotland wouldn’t get a permit as they’d be using the same ‘UK’ criteria as down south rather than the exceptions possible here for the SPL being a poorer standard and ranking.

That's fair enough. Remember there are several leagues in England, many below our top division, though I do see what you are saying. 

Don't you see where I'm making my point though? Since when were visa/wp decisions a thing for unqualified suits (with string vested interests) within private corporations to make? And if since ever, then why tf?

The fact that Celtic got a work permit for the guy from Israel with 1 cap to his name at 28 years old shows the discrepancies with the process 

Jambof3tornado

I assume those sitting on the panel change so its all about opinion on this exceptional talent rule. Not convinced of the intergrity of this method.

Any idea what they do down south?

23 hours ago, Papa said:

Have we ever had a successful appeal to this so-called unbiased panel? Cant remember one. Seem to remember that it was once made up of ex  Old Firm players. 

Kitchen and Obua, off the top of my head. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
59 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I assume those sitting on the panel change so its all about opinion on this exceptional talent rule. Not convinced of the intergrity of this method.

Any idea what they do down south?

FA has strict criteria, based on Fifa rankings and international experience.

On 25/03/2019 at 11:25, PB21 said:

Fact bigger teams than us were looking at him suggests he’s got potential maybe.....

Where have I heard that before!?

Hmmm... Sean Clare maybe??

Stephen Muddie
5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17801959.celtic-sign-norwegian-centre-back-leo-hjelde-rosenborg/

Celtic sign 15 year old Norwegian.

Norway aren't in the EU.

What's your point bud? Norway is in the EEA hence no need for work permits, along with the swiss (shengen) and icelanders (EEA) amongst others. Hearts have had players from all three states and never needed visas/wps.

And Celtic signing the one cap israeli stank to high heaven

1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

Where have I heard that before!?

Hmmm... Sean Clare maybe??

Nothing wrong with Sean Clare. He will come good. 

Bit of a delayed reply considering I posted it back end of March. It take you a while to come up with that. Haha 

Nookie Bear
39 minutes ago, PB21 said:

Bit of a delayed reply considering I posted it back end of March. It take you a while to come up with that. Haha 

You need the JKB Myth thread, mate.

Inch Hearts
42 minutes ago, PB21 said:

Any kind of date as to when he will come good? League 1 next season beckons if he doesn’t get his act together.  There’s no excuses for him now either. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

Something I am confused about and is not covered by the EEN report: who refused the work permit in the first place?

Was a Government thing? or was it SFA? 

The newspaper report should have explained this. 

Flappy Hands

If it's true that Levein had to have him in for a 2nd trial before making his mind up and he was going to be playing in our reserves... 

I don't know how he can argue that the boy is an exceptional talent. 

Surely the proof is in the pudding? , he's never played an international game at any age group. 

Flappy Hands
6 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The fact that Celtic got a work permit for the guy from Israel with 1 cap to his name at 28 years old shows the discrepancies with the process 

Do you mean Hatem Abd Elhamed?

He's got 6 caps for his country and has played in the u18's and u19's

Played for a few decent clubs as well. 

17 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Former Austria star Herzog – who guided Israel to a 2-1 Nations League win over Scotland – has explained that Elhamed would have won far more caps for his country if it hadn’t been for a previous car accident, which curtailed his appearances.

And they have pointed out that he’s been in squads too, without being picked, until he finally made his international debut this summer in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Poland.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4509941/hatem-abd-elhamed-celtic-work-permit/

Dusk_Till_Dawn
27 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

If it's true that Levein had to have him in for a 2nd trial before making his mind up and he was going to be playing in our reserves... 

I don't know how he can argue that the boy is an exceptional talent. 

Surely the proof is in the pudding? , he's never played an international game at any age group. 

Also, Levein’s idea of exceptional talent is Christ knows what.

Flappy Hands
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Also, Levein’s idea of exceptional talent is Christ knows what.

Ha, true story. 

I still can't get my head around the signing of Wighton. 

Can we appeal? I'd like to think Levein would at least pose the question on why the oldfirm seem to have no bother getting their players that clearly don't qualify in, yet we can't.

1 hour ago, Flappy Hands said:

I still can't get my head around the signing of Wighton. 

Neither rhyme nor reason...

Aiden Smith?  Sammon, Edwards, Vanecek, Amankwaa,  Callachan,  Martin,  Stockton, Sowah, Rherras, Reilly, Johnsen to name but 11.  Need to instal a revolving doors.

Edited by Tasavallan

Flappy Hands
20 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Neither rhyme nor reason...

Aiden Smith?  Sammon, Edwards, Vanecek, Amankwaa,  Callachan,  Martin,  Stockton, Sowah, Rherras, Reilly, Johnsen to name but 11.  Need to instal a revolving doors.

Change ladies to players and get Wilson to play it at tynecastle 

Flappy Hands

Can someone get a photo of a revolving door and put the words... Players come players go, Levein's revolving door. Thanks. 

😂

Edited by Flappy Hands

19 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Can someone get a photo of a revolving door and put the words... Players come players go, Levein's revolving door. Thanks. 

😂

No.

22 hours ago, PB21 said:

Considering Clare has been playing regulary for us since September excuse me for not buying your "he will come good" statement.

In his youtube videos/clips I thought he looked pretty slow and thoroughly unimpressive. Presumably similar clips were used to argue the case of "exceptional talent" so not surprised with the outcome

1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

Considering Clare has been playing regulary for us since September excuse me for not buying your "he will come good" statement.

Not wanting you to buy anything. Not interested in your opinions.  I only worry about my own. 

19 hours ago, OTT said:

Can we appeal? I'd like to think Levein would at least pose the question on why the oldfirm seem to have no bother getting their players that clearly don't qualify in, yet we can't.

Nah, maybe if he was record goalscorer for his club or setting the heather on fire in ghana but hes not even got a youth cap from what i can tell? Think we'd be clutching at straws. 

We had more right to be annoyed about the Georgia international we missed out on.

He's also failed trails at Sparta Prague and AIK. 

On 30/07/2019 at 16:51, Flappy Hands said:

Heard last night Gerry Collins was on panel for this guy. They showed 10 different domestic games when this guy was playing. Not exactly neutral with a Celtic season ticket holder on panel

Flappy Hands
11 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Heard last night Gerry Collins was on panel for this guy. They showed 10 different domestic games when this guy was playing. Not exactly neutral with a Celtic season ticket holder on panel

Well that's just hearsay to be fair. 

None of us know who's on the panel. 

If we look at the facts, the celtic player is known to be a good player. He's had caps and played for well known clubs. 

The boy we were looking has nothing to suggest he's a good player, only Levein's say so and he thought wighton was worth paying for. 

I can't really blame the panel ( can't think of the right word for them lol) for saying no. 

Unless you want to get them to come and see the boy play. 

Even if there was a celtic bhoy on the panel, it's not like he would be worried by us signing some kid to play in the reserves and i would assume that anyone involved in the Scottish game would give it the go ahead for the good of the game. 

But yeah, they're going by the facts. 

Edited by Flappy Hands

12 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

If we look at the facts, the celtic player is known to be a good player. He's had caps and played for well known clubs. 

The boy we were looking has nothing to suggest he's a good player, only Levein's say so and he thought wighton was worth paying for. 

I can't really blame the panel ( can't think of the right word for them lol) for saying no. 

Even if there was a celtic bhoy on the panel, it's not like he would be worried by us signing some kid to play in the reserves and i would assume that anyone involved in the Scottish game would give it the go ahead for the good of the game. 

He was on rock sport radio last night talking about it. Heard from the horses mouth, how can he make a neutral comment when knowing how desperate Celtic were for a right back

12 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Yes of course, the old firm have always ensured the good of the game comes before their own personal needs.

:Aye:

Flappy Hands
2 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Yes of course, the old firm have always ensured the good of the game comes before their own personal needs.

:Aye:

Us signing some guy that levein thinks has potential is not gonna put the fear of god into any celtic fan lol

I do like a conspiracy theory but i'm not having this one. 

Just now, Flappy Hands said:

Us signing some guy that levein thinks has potential is not gonna put the fear of god into any celtic fan lol

I am not saying that, I am arguing your point that anyone from Celtic or Rangers would do anything that might help the general good of Scottish football if at the same time it did not benefit them.

Scottish football is littered with decisions that are only good for these two clubs with little regard for the general good.

Saint Jambo
6 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

I think you might have misunderstood. I think the claim being made is that the Celtic season ticket holder was on the panel deciding on an application for a work permit from Celtic. If that is the case it is about as clear a conflict of interest as you will find.

Flappy Hands
1 minute ago, corryjambo said:

I am not saying that, I am arguing your point that anyone from Celtic or Rangers would do anything that might help the general good of Scottish football if at the same time it did not benefit them.

Scottish football is littered with decisions that are only good for these two clubs with little regard for the general good.

No, I get that, but on this occasion I don't think that would of crossed their mind. 

Flappy Hands
9 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think you might have misunderstood. I think the claim being made is that the Celtic season ticket holder was on the panel deciding on an application for a work permit from Celtic. If that is the case it is about as clear a conflict of interest as you will find.

Yeah, well as I said, that's hearsay. I've no idea if that's true so I'm not going to argue about it. My point was only about the guy we were trying to sign and assuming that the panel were on the straight and narrow.