***Scotland v San Marino Official Match Thread***

iantjambo

Cruyff Turn
33 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

He makes remarks without thinking . For example telling the media that Belgium and Russia would have different results if their best players were out. Don’t know about the latter but Belgium would smash  the group even with some of their fringe players.

Agree.Belgium have a Bteam of top class players.

We now need to beat Russian home and away or get a point v Belgium and win v all the others home and away to give ourselves a chance. An impossible task at the moment.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gizmo

• iantjambo

• Jambof3tornado

• Bazzas right boot

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I agree with most of that, I would criticise Rangers far more when it comes to Scottish players though. Celtic have produced Mulgrew/Tierney/Macgregor/Forrest/Watt/Robertson recently and have had guys like  Brown/Griffiths/Armstrong/Bain/Gordon/Commons and a few more.

True, Celtic do have a better mix of Foreign and Scottish players than Rangers. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree.Belgium have a Bteam of top class players.

We now need to beat Russian home and away or get a point v Belgium and win v all the others home and away to give ourselves a chance. An impossible task at the moment.

That would have been an almost impossible task when we were playing well never mind how we are now.

I see the prime idiot Billy Dodds was surprised at the "toxic atmosphere" on the  BBC Scotland web site.

Why should he be surprised, the team is abysmal and the manager appears clueless. Perhaps if he was having to pay good money to watch that lot he would add to the toxic atmosphere rather than going on paid trip as an "expert summariser"along with such luminaries as Willie Miller and Packy Bonner, no doubt enjoying the finest hotels and food at our expense.

In a small way people like him and his cohorts are to blame for the state we find ourselves in by their continuing pandering to the two Glasgow teams and their constant refusal to acknowledge the appalling state our game is in. No doubt he will be along on Sunday frothing at the mouth about the special atmosphere at the old firm game and everything in the Scottish football garden will be rosy again.

As well as the SFA I think the BBC Scotland sports team need a massive clear out.

Cruyff Turn
23 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

That would have been an almost impossible task when we were playing well never mind how we are now.

Without a doubt. 

2 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

I see the prime idiot Billy Dodds was surprised at the "toxic atmosphere" on the  BBC Scotland web site.

Why should he be surprised, the team is abysmal and the manager appears clueless. Perhaps if he was having to pay good money to watch that lot he would add to the toxic atmosphere rather than going on paid trip as an "expert summariser"along with such luminaries as Willie Miller and Packy Bonner, no doubt enjoying the finest hotels and food at our expense.

In a small way people like him and his cohorts are to blame for the state we find ourselves in by their continuing pandering to the two Glasgow teams and their constant refusal to acknowledge the appalling state our game is in. No doubt he will be along on Sunday frothing at the mouth about the special atmosphere at the old firm game and everything in the Scottish football garden will be rosy again.

As well as the SFA I think the BBC Scotland sports team need a massive clear out.

Weegie centric media in cahoots with weegie centric ex OF players to cover each other’s arses. It’s fecking stinking.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The depressing thing about this is that if the SFA stick with McLeish, and they will, we’re basically just wasting all the time it takes for them to eventually sack him. He’ll achieve nothing, build nothing, contribute nothing - and what’s particularly sad is that every single person knows this to be true. We might as well all switch off until after the next euros.

132goals1958

There is no general consensus in terms of what our best available starting line-up is. It is all fairly subjective apart from Robertson, Tierney and a fit Griffiths. You would expect going into a major campaign  there would be a core of at least eight - nine players that would form the nucleus and be automatic selections. Despite scoring an early goal against the lowest rated team in the world McLeish put the performance in part down to nerves. God help us when we play Belguim.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

There is no general consensus in terms of what our best available starting line-up is. It is all fairly subjective apart from Robertson, Tierney and a fit Griffiths. You would expect going into a major campaign  there would be a core of at least eight - nine players that would form the nucleus and be automatic selections. Despite scoring an early goal against the lowest rated team in the world McLeish put the performance in part down to nerves. God help us when we play Belguim.

Listen to the way he speaks though. He sounds like that taxi driver who turned up on the BBC News channel by mistake. Then imagine the impact his total lack of charisma and nous will be having on the squad. The whole thing is a sham.

132goals1958
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The depressing thing about this is that if the SFA stick with McLeish, and they will, we’re basically just wasting all the time it takes for them to eventually sack him. He’ll achieve nothing, build nothing, contribute nothing - and what’s particularly sad is that every single person knows this to be true. We might as well all switch off until after the next euros.

Their coffers are empty so probably can,t afford the compensation. Recently had to get the begging bowl out to buy Hampden with the assistance of two moneyed men of a Rangers and Celtic persuasion.How they go about redeveloping the ground is the proverbial 64000 dollar question.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
30 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Their coffers are empty so probably can,t afford the compensation. Recently had to get the begging bowl out to buy Hampden with the assistance of two moneyed men of a Rangers and Celtic persuasion.How they go about redeveloping the ground is the proverbial 64000 dollar question.

It kind of makes me wonder if the SFA are even interested in qualifying for tournaments or if they’re just going through the motions 

Don’t often agree with Michael Stewart but he was bang on last night when he said a change is needed urgently, he and Steven Thompson were good on sportscene last and spoke the truth where as guys like Miller and Dodds won’t upset or critisice their mate and Richard Gordon is just a tit. Mcleish has bn on charge for just over a year and has lost more games than he has won and had presided over 2 of the worst performances I have seen for a long time against Israel and Khazakstan. Willie Miller talks about getting to the nations league semi but there were only 2 other teams in our group and we lost to 1 of them and were  a McGregor save away from going out in the last home game. Mcleish should never have got the job after O’Neill turned it down, there should have bn an interview process with other candidates but the SFA chose to go safe and it’s bn horrendous,  Yesterday was brutal and what should be a worry is we gave up chances to the worst team in the world and a team I think Auchinleck would have horsed. 

Edited by Nathan2012

24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It kind of makes me wonder if the SFA are even interested in qualifying for tournaments or if they’re just going through the motions 

Thought that for a while.  They have absolutely no ambition what so ever.

kirkierobroy
25 minutes ago, Deevers said:

It kind of makes me wonder if the SFA are even interested in qualifying for tournaments

Would be an interruption to their golf routine.

37 minutes ago, Nathan2012 said:

Don’t often agree with Michael Stewart but he was bang on last night when he said a change is needed urgently, he and Steven Thompson were good on sportscene last and spoke the truth where as guys like Miller and Dodds won’t upset or critisice their mate and Richard Gordon is just a tit. Mcleish has bn on charge for just over a year and has lost more games than he has won and had presided over 2 of the worst performances I have seen for a long time against Israel and Khazakstan. Willie Miller talks about getting to the nations league semi but there were only 2 other teams in our group and we lost to 1 of them and were  a McGregor save away from going out in the last home game. Mcleish should never have got the job after O’Neill turned it down, there should have bn an interview process with other candidates but the SFA chose to go safe and it’s bn horrendous,  Yesterday was brutal and what should be a worry is we gave up chances to the worst team in the world and a team I think Auchinleck would have horsed. 

Was that the Miller that was McLeish's centre half partner for both Aberdeen and Scotland??? I think the country is united in calling for radical change but Willie doesn't want to upset his old mucker. Interestingly one of BBCs highest profile pundits, Pat Bonner, is nowhere to be seen. When celtic aren't playing. 

joondalupjambo
5 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

And as if by magic, Tierney will be fit for the OF match.

Always going to be the case that he will want to declare himself fit for the OF game, far more important for him.

Mind you he might declare himself fit and the club does not agree, what are the chances of that? 

How is it going anyway?

I passed on the Hamilton away game thankfully, for one daft minute I nearly went and got a ticket.

Are you across for the semi?

kirkierobroy
4 hours ago, corryjambo said:

Many of them had shelled for travel and tickets in Astana as well as San the Man (and even getting to Astana should earn you a Travel and Tourism HNC) and endured 180 minutes of inept management and players who couldnae give a...

Toxic? They could have been forgiven for being explosive.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Always going to be the case that he will want to declare himself fit for the OF game, far more important for him.

Mind you he might declare himself fit and the club does not agree, what are the chances of that? 

How is it going anyway?

I passed on the Hamilton away game thankfully, for one daft minute I nearly went and got a ticket.

Are you across for the semi?

All good mate

Will be across for the semi

Signed up for Gambo’s bus

Ticket in C5

Pasquale for King

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but did anyone ever think that they would see Callum Paterson play up front on his own for Scotland against the worst team in the world? He’s great in the air, can score when given a chance and has a great attitude but really has no idea what he’s doing up there. 

1 hour ago, kirkierobroy said:

Many of them had shelled for travel and tickets in Astana as well as San the Man (and even getting to Astana should earn you a Travel and Tourism HNC) and endured 180 minutes of inept management and players who couldnae give a...

Toxic? They could have been forgiven for being explosive.

The Tartan Army represented the rest of us pretty well this time. 

highlandjambo3

Why the **** can I watch England live in the euros on tv in Scotland but I cannot watch Scotland..... same competition and all that.  Am I missing the obvious (don’t say were sh*te and not worth watching.......that’s obvious but not the point).

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere on this thread or somewhere else, I can’t be arsed reading through it and I don’t think it deserves its own thread.

4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Why the **** can I watch England live in the euros on tv in Scotland but I cannot watch Scotland..... same competition and all that.  Am I missing the obvious (don’t say were sh*te and not worth watching.......that’s obvious but not the point).

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere on this thread or somewhere else, I can’t be arsed reading through it and I don’t think it deserves its own thread.

Because BBC Scotland's funding is peanuts compared to the normal BBC (which is really BBC England), so Doncaster sold our soul to Sky. Or was it some other clown at the SFA?

highlandjambo3
13 minutes ago, kila said:

Because BBC Scotland's funding is peanuts compared to the normal BBC (which is really BBC England), so Doncaster sold our soul to Sky. Or was it some other clown at the SFA?

So, the BBC (England) are showing coverage UK wide but BBC (Scotland) are not showing anything and me (us) paying the BBC (UK) licence have no say?

50 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

45 minutes ago, kila said:

And note also every single Wales game is available online via BBCiplayer from Welsh language channel S4C. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Really sad to say but I'm quite enjoying watching England play nowadays. I watch Scotland out of a grim sense of duty.

Difficult to argue with much of what Ewan says here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/25/scotland-old-firm-hype-sfa-grim-governance

GrimUpNorth
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

So, the BBC (England) are showing coverage UK wide but BBC (Scotland) are not showing anything and me (us) paying the BBC (UK) licence have no say?

It's on ITV. Nothing to do with the BBC or the licence fee. 

Anyway engerland now 5-1 up against Montenegro and we can only put 2 past a pub team. I know it’s not apples for apples comparison but it just shows how shit we (Scotland) are. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Anyway engerland now 5-1 up against Montenegro and we can only put 2 past a pub team. I know it’s not apples for apples comparison but it just shows how shit we (Scotland) are. 

10 goals in 2 games while not playing at 100% and with youngsters in teams. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Speaks volumes re being able to play very capable youngsters. I seen there’s a thread on up and coming Scottish youngsters so far I haven’t had a look at it. What’s the point when we (Hearts) have a more than capable youngster and he’s got splinters  in his backside warming the bench when huddies are get a game before him. 

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, hm123fc said:

Today's article on the BBC website by Tom English sums up the current depressing state of Scottish football really well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47697708

As ever, Tom nails it. The best Scottish football writer by far, and not am old firm or SFA hierarchy ass kisser either. 

i wish jj was my dad

Ewan and Tom English are spot on. Voices in the wilderness though. The GFA take their orders from the bigots. The national team doesn't matter

Horatio Caine
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

England also not plagued with call-offs every time an international comes around.  We've accepted it as par for the course.  Our guys have no desire to wear the jersey.

Edited by Horatio Caine

It’s actually quite sad that the watching Scotland play reminds me of watching heartsqt the moment, no creativity, no confidence.

Nelly Terraces
12 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Ewan and Tom English are spot on. Voices in the wilderness though. The GFA take their orders from the bigots. The national team doesn't matter

Correct. Sadly in the past 2 days I've heard Grandpa Craig Brown & Kevin Gallagher saying McLeish 'deserves' to stay in the job.  Do these ****s EVER come out & have the bollocks to say a guy like that is utter shite & should be potted? I don't care about the 'Scottish' national side, it's a GFA cabal, but this thinking, along with that arsehole Billy Dodds etc etc - is indicative of the sort of backwards, stasis inducing, thinking that keeps the game in the gutter here. Self preservation & absolutely no willingness to change whatsoever. It's fecking chronic.

Francis Albert
22 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Really sad to say but I'm quite enjoying watching England play nowadays. I watch Scotland out of a grim sense of duty.

Difficult to argue with much of what Ewan says here.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/25/scotland-old-firm-hype-sfa-grim-governance

Ewan rightly contrasts the treatment by most of the Scottish media of Levein, Burley and Vogts with that of McLeish. In fact the same contrast is apparent between their treatment and that of any other Scotland manager with an Old Firm connection.

Edited by Francis Albert

shaun.lawson

As an Englishman, I'm either supposed to find what's happening to the Scotland team amusing - but I don't at all - or not to care at all. Goodness knows, I wouldn't blame any Scot for not caring about this never-ending shambles.

But actually, I find it ****ing disgusting. The SFA and SPL's running of the game in Scotland is ****ing disgusting. The appointment of the absolute joke, Alex McLeish, was ****ing disgusting. Him being left in charge after a 3-0 defeat to Borat FC is ****ing disgusting.

International football has the capacity to unite and move a whole country. The inclusive trumps the exclusive. Yet there's a whole generation on here who've never even known their team at a major tournament. That's appalling.

I wouldn't mind if Scotland had always been some footballing outback... but it's not. It has a really proud football history - or at least, it used to. I can hardly get my head round how this has been allowed to go on for so long; and it's getting worse. It's somehow getting even worse.

For there to ever be change, the fans have to vote with their feet. The powers that aren't are taking the piss out of Scotland fans on an epic scale. How the **** is Rod Petrie, with his record, likely to become the next SFA President? How the **** does the top division still have this ridiculous split? How the **** has so little been done about sectarianism among Old Firm fans? How the **** have the SFA put a patently unwell man who's barely able to put a sentence together in charge of the national team?

It's unbelievable, all this. Where is the accountability? Why don't the Scottish government say something or do something? Goodness knows, I've known some tough times as an England fan - but the only thing I have to compare with this nonsense is when we put Allardyce in charge. Whereupon the press did the only good thing they've ever done for the England team.

Think of the abuse - the horrendous abuse - Vogts received. Think of the lampooning of Burley and Levein. Short-sighted and simplistic, all of it... but at least there was anger. At least there was some sense of expectancy of... something. Now it's just... well, is there anyone left who cares at all?

And as Tom English says above, it's always all about leadership. Scottish football doesn't have any. That's why I think the Scottish government should step in. It owes it to the fans to do so. 

Big Slim Stylee
On 26/03/2019 at 07:01, Nelly Terraces said:

Correct. Sadly in the past 2 days I've heard Grandpa Craig Brown & Kevin Gallagher saying McLeish 'deserves' to stay in the job.  Do these ****s EVER come out & have the bollocks to say a guy like that is utter shite & should be potted? I don't care about the 'Scottish' national side, it's a GFA cabal, but this thinking, along with that arsehole Billy Dodds etc etc - is indicative of the sort of backwards, stasis inducing, thinking that keeps the game in the gutter here. Self preservation & absolutely no willingness to change whatsoever. It's fecking chronic.

I threw the towel in the day they somehow thought it was progressive thinking to invite Doncaster on to the SFA board and let Maxwell walk in to the top job.

Obsequioius, sniveling, corrupt, useless, bag of tired old farts. It’s a fecking shambles and they should be ashamed. Not much chance of that.