3. 3. Should Brexit go ahead now

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Should there be another People's Vote

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/03/19 at 11:00

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bridge of Djoum

• Francis Albert

• shaun.lawson

Unknown user

I lived outside the UK but in the EU at the time so I didn't get a vote (ridiculous situation, but that's another story.)

I'd vote remain, I see no good reason to leave.

Was Remain and still Remain 

Brexit should happen now. Pissed of with it now.

No to a people's vote. Having another vote makes a mockery of British legislation. We gave the public the vote; people voted and we are now paying for the biggest  backfire in my lifetime.

Edited by Marvin

indianajones

Voted leave first time. Not sure how I would vote again - not that bothered to be honest. I do not like certain aspects of the EU but leaving would probably see an accelerated Scottish independence.  Would we then rejoin the EU? Who knows. Would I be upset/happy if we did? Again, i have no idea. 

All I wanted was to see the Conservative party and Westminster in turmoil which seems to have worked. 

Voted yes for a peoples vote. I dont think it makes a mockery. People are now a lot more educated on the subject and putting it back to the people would cement their views. I still think the result would be leave for the record with an increased remain vote in Scotland. 

Edited by indianajones

Was a soft leave last time (didn’t make up my mind until I was in the ballot box) but hardened my stance afterwards. Would rather stay than have Mays deal though. 

Starting to change my my mind about leaving (as are a few people I know), particularly if Mays deal is passed. 

Not sure how I would vote if there’s a people’s vote (would probably treat it independently of the 1st one i.e. look at both sides, weigh up the pro’s and con’s etc.) but think there is justification there to hold a sencond vote.

Trapper John McIntyre

Was a reluctant Leaver, if Remain had won I'd have been happy to accept and move on. Wouldn't have given a toss really. Both sides leaders were in the main ghastly. Cameron, Osborne, Sturgeon, Johnson, Farage, Corbyn, May et al. A rotten bunch of charlatans.

But my reasons for voting Leave at the time have been proven correct  due to the way the establishment have reacted to the well earned kick in the balls they received in 2016.

Watching the Luvvies and the Saturday afternoon campaigners today in London (while real people are at work) out in full confirms I was right to vote Leave and would have no qualms about doing it again.

Brexit was ****ed up by the worst post war Prime Minister, the worst Cabinet, worst opposition, worst Parliament and worst MP's in living memory. Hardly any of them had the integrity or guts to carry out the will of the people. Its a signal of the time we live in. Everyone must be heard, everyone should be kept happy, no one takes responsibility. Result: Chaos.

Power to the people (just dont listen to them though).

Voted remain originally but would vote leave this time.  

Hopefully we dont have a second referendum, the people have already spoken.   I wasnt happy with the original result but it is the result.

I P Knightley
5 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Watching the Luvvies and the Saturday afternoon campaigners today in London (while real people are at work) out in full confirms I was right to vote Leave and would have no qualms about doing it again.

Brexit was ****ed up by the worst post war Prime Minister, the worst Cabinet, worst opposition, worst Parliament and worst MP's in living memory. Hardly any of them had the integrity or guts to carry out the will of the people. Its a signal of the time we live in. Everyone must be heard, everyone should be kept happy, no one takes responsibility. Result: Chaos.

Whilst I don't agree with your analysis of the people protesting today and I don't think that who is in that crowd can confirm anything about reasons to leave (by Trump counting, there must be at least 25 million of them :) - they can't all fall into one narrow category), I fully agree with the second paragraph quoted.

What scares me most about Brexit, though, is that the same jelly-spined charlatans will be there after any version of Brexit gets through and they'll be tasked with making the effing thing work.

I love Brexit and I will always be indebted to all the British Nationalists for Scottish independence.

I thank you!

Edited by ri Alban

indianajones
1 hour ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Was a reluctant Leaver, if Remain had won I'd have been happy to accept and move on. Wouldn't have given a toss really. Both sides leaders were in the main ghastly. Cameron, Osborne, Sturgeon, Johnson, Farage, Corbyn, May et al. A rotten bunch of charlatans.

But my reasons for voting Leave at the time have been proven correct  due to the way the establishment have reacted to the well earned kick in the balls they received in 2016.

Power to the people (just dont listen to them though).

Dont agree with this bit! 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

No to a people's vote. Having another vote makes a mockery of British legislation. We gave the public the vote; people voted and we are now paying for the biggest  backfire in my lifetime.

That's exactly it for me. Another referendum before leaving would be ridiculous and would seriously hamper and Scot Indy vote in the future which I would not want. I never got a vote last time as I was living in Australia at the time but would have voted Remain and still would.

My long term hope though is that it is such a big mess that it makes Scot Indy much more likely.

Should also add that as much as I believe Brexit should go ahead I have reservations about the legality of the campaign which has been proven to be in breach of protocol/law.

Also want the process to continue to be as drawn out, complicated and horrible for the Tories/Brexiteers as possible. Thoroughly enjoyed the last few months.

There should never have been a referendum to begin with. Certainly not with the simplistic question and without a double lock that there would be a second referendum once the terms of leave were established.

The 'luvvies' as they have been referred to are ordinary people who are deeply concerned about the rise of populism and it's divisive and regressive rhetoric. At its essence, it is a movement controlled by the ultra rich to manipulate the voting public for their own agenda. Brexit makes ordinary people poorer, but the ultra rich, even richer.

... and yes I love a Starbucks, holiday regularly abroad, live in a detached house, with two newish cars in the drive. I don't claim to be a working class, man of the people. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There should never have been a referendum to begin with. Certainly not with the simplistic question and without a double lock that there would be a second referendum once the terms of leave were established.

The 'luvvies' as they have been referred to are ordinary people who are deeply concerned about the rise of populism and it's divisive and regressive rhetoric. At its essence, it is a movement controlled by the ultra rich to manipulate the voting public for their own agenda. Brexit makes ordinary people poorer, but the ultra rich, even richer.

... and yes I love a Starbucks, holiday regularly abroad, live in a detached house, with two newish cars in the drive. I don't claim to be a working class, man of the people. 

Isn't that always the case, no matter what the vote is for or who is running the vote?

When did politicians care about you? 

They only care about getting your vote, then once they have it don't give a flying funk about you.

3 minutes ago, obua said:

Why have a referendum if you need another one if it doesn’t suit your leaders.

'Leaders' are elected to act in what they perceive as the best interests of this country.

This nonsense that somehow the 'elite' want to stop Brexit should be called out for the bollocks that it is. Murdoch, Johnson, Farage, Banks are as elite as they come and all are championing Brexit.

Regardless, there is virtually no country in the world that doesn't want to have a good trading relationship with its near neighbors. The UK economy is a largely service based economy of which the vast majority of those services are exported to the EU. Loss of or restricted access to those markets even on a temporary basis will make the country as a whole a lot poorer, and in any event we would want to come to terms with our trading partners eventually anyway, except we would be in a weakened negotiating position.

The pragmatic choice is remain, the anarchic choice is leave.

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Excellent view and balanced.

3 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Voted remain originally but would vote leave this time.  

Hopefully we dont have a second referendum, the people have already spoken.   I wasnt happy with the original result but it is the result.

Respect to that.

53 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

You mean people protesting against a democratic and very fair outcome?

:fonzie:

Down with democracy*

*unless it goes my way

SwindonJambo

Voted remain last time after a lot of swithering. Lots of things annoy me about the EU - The bureaucratic parasites like Jean Claude Junker making an undeserved tidy living out of it, wastefulness and corruption and the disastrous Euro currency which we have Gordon Brown ro thank for not signing up to. I voted remain simply because I felt (just) that in life it’s generally better to be inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in and whatever you think of them, the most important trading relationships any country has is with its nearest neighbours. While shocked , I wasn’t heartbroken with the result.

The idea of having another vote just because enough people kicked up a stink about the result last time doesn’t sit comfortably with me and makes a mockery of democracy. In Scotland the Vote wasn’t close but down here it was and nastiness and bitterness between the extremes of the 2 sided is visceral.  Most people, however, are just getting on with it and hope it’s all sorted soon, one way or another.

We have  seen how hard it is to come up with a deal agreeable to the poorest calibre of politicians in my near 52 years on this planet. 

If we do have another vote, I would still be a lesser of 2 evils remainer but to now remain, the vote to so so must be decisive. If it’s a similar margin the other way then we’d need a 3rd vote, in say 5 years’ time. There should be 2 choices- No Deal Leave or Remain. No-one can promise any other way of leaving except May’s unpopular deal. If It’s a leave result again then the Remoaners need to stfu and suck it up.

If we do end up remaining after all, I can see  Civil Unrest in Strong Leave areas of England.

I still think we’ll leave after a Lengthy delay and end up with a watered down Norway type arrangement. I could accept that.

So I’m somewhere between a people’s vote and St Johnstone.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

You mean people protesting against a democratic and very fair outcome?

:fonzie:

Down with democracy*

*unless it goes my way

It is a referendum of which the result would have been declared void if it was legally binding and not advisory. 

So I think people are perfectly entitled to ask for a second referendum on fairer terms, now that we know more about what the potential impact would be. Not that I'm a great believer in referendums full stop, because it's an abdication of responsibility by politicians elected on the premise that they make decisions based on what they think is good governance.

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It is a referendum of which the result would have been declared void if it was legally binding and not advisory. 

So I think people are perfectly entitled to ask for a second referendum on fairer terms, now that we know more about what the potential impact would be. Not that I'm a great believer in referendums full stop, because it's an abdication of responsibility by politicians elected on the premise that they make decisions based on what they think is good governance.

No, these people are protesting as they did not get their way 

6 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Voted remain last time after a lot of swithering. Lots of things annoy me about the EU - The bureaucratic parasites like Jean Claude Junker making an undeserved tidy living out of it, wastefulness and corruption and the disastrous Euro currency which we have Gordon Brown ro thank for not signing up to. I voted remain simply because I felt (just) that in life it’s generally better to be inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in and whatever you think of them, the most important trading relationships any country has is with its nearest neighbours. While shocked , I wasn’t heartbroken with the result.

The idea of having another vote just because enough people kicked up a stink about the result last time doesn’t sit comfortably with me and makes a mockery of democracy. In Scotland the Vote wasn’t close but down here it was and nastiness and bitterness between the extremes of the 2 sided is visceral.  Most people, however, are just getting on with it and hope it’s all sorted soon, one way or another.

We have  seen how hard it is to come up with a deal agreeable to the poorest calibre of politicians in my near 52 years on this planet. 

If we do have another vote, I would still be a lesser of 2 evils remainer but to now remain, the vote to so so must be decisive. If it’s a similar margin the other way then we’d need a 3rd vote, in say 5 years’ time. There should be 2 choices- No Deal Leave or Remain. No-one can promise any other way of leaving except May’s unpopular deal. If It’s a leave result again then the Remoaners need to stfu and suck it up.

If we do end up remaining after all, I can see  Civil Unrest in Strong Leave areas of England.

I still think we’ll leave after a Lengthy delay and end up with a watered down Norway type arrangement. I could accept that.

This is pretty much where I am and would also settle for a Norway type deal, because it is pragmatic choice given the very marginal nature of the vote. We still leave the EU satisfying the question on the ballot paper (leave means leave, let's go WTO is all stuff that was barely even hinted at by the leave campaigns), but do so with market access that preserves as much as possible the economy.

The deprivation in Leave areas does need dealt with, but one thing is for sure, the likes of Farage, Banks and Rees Mogg couldn't care less about these people.

gashauskis9
4 hours ago, indianajones said:

All I wanted was to see the Conservative party and Westminster in turmoil which seems to have worked. 

You get a general election at least every 4/5 years for this.  The referendum was constitutionally too important for the future to treat as a static political protest vote.

That said, I appreciate its difficult to get the Tories out whilst we have the weakest opposition in history.

SwindonJambo

39 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

This is pretty much where I am and would also settle for a Norway type deal, because it is pragmatic choice given the very marginal nature of the vote. We still leave the EU satisfying the question on the ballot paper (leave means leave, let's go WTO is all stuff that was barely even hinted at by the leave campaigns), but do so with market access that preserves as much as possible the economy.

The deprivation in Leave areas does need dealt with, but one thing is for sure, the likes of Farage, Banks and Rees Mogg couldn't care less about these people.

Your final sentence is spot on. The super rich Brexiteers are motivated by Self Interest and little else and zero doubt about that. They’ll happily take the votes of the 1st group who think they have nothing to lose.

Class of 75
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Sorry mate have to disagree. There had to be a referendum followung the Lisbon Treaty which further cemented EU centralisation. The EU was forging ahead with the change from the Common Market to a Superbloc without having the decency to consult the various electorates. Unfortunately the Establishment  did not think Britain would vote to leave after reluctantly granting a referendum. 

Class of 75
9 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Your final sentence is spot on. The super rich Brexiteers are motivated by Self Interest and little else and zero doubt about that. They’ll happily take the votes of the 1st group who think they have nothing to lose.

What about the Remainer MPs and the London elite? Are they acting out of some altruistic motive concerned about the country or are they just worried about their own interests? 

10 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Sorry mate have to disagree. There had to be a referendum followung the Lisbon Treaty which further cemented EU centralisation. The EU was forging ahead with the change from the Common Market to a Superbloc without having the decency to consult the various electorates. Unfortunately the Establishment  did not think Britain would vote to leave after reluctantly granting a referendum. 

I am a pragmatist not an idealist. There is a democratic deficit in the EU, I disagree with a lot of the federal elements, I think the Euro is a flawed concept as it is practically impossible to set monetary and fiscal levers that suit both the German and Southern European economies, especially given that cultural and language barriers make labour mobility imperfect.

So it comes down to what do I think is best for the prosperity of primarily my own family but also the wider economy and that is undoubtedly the status quo. Our service based economy needs a close relationship with our major market place, there is a known beneficial relationship there, whereas ending that relationship brings at best uncertainty, at worst negative economic impact that makes us all poorer.

9 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

What about the Remainer MPs and the London elite? Are they acting out of some altruistic motive concerned about the country or are they just worried about their own interests? 

I'm going to ask two questions for both of your last posts so apologies.

Kate Hoey is my first question?

Don't you think there will be a two speed Europe very soon and we will be on the slower part just like we have always been?

shaun.lawson

Was Remain now Leave - currently 6%

Was Leave now Remain - currently 5%

And there we have it. A net swing to Leave of 1% so far. Which is a neat snapshot of why a 2nd referendum is still unlikely. It's never had the amount of public backing required to make it a good idea (I voted St Johnstone on a 2nd ref, btw).

Class of 75
13 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I'm going to ask two questions for both of your last posts so apologies.

Kate Hoey is my first question?

Don't you think there will be a two speed Europe very soon and we will be on the slower part just like we have always been?

Kate Hoey is a good MP and a Leaver. There could be but I doubt it given the aim of the EU

shaun.lawson
Just now, Class of 75 said:

Kate Hoey is a good MP and a Leaver. There could be but I doubt it given the aim of the EU

Kate Hoey represents the most Remain constituency in the entire UK. Her response has been to talk constant bullshit - dangerous bullshit too, given her disgusting attitude to the Irish border - and completely fail to represent them. She's a disgrace.

2 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

But she is continually voting against her constituents on Brexit matters.....

Voted remain the first time. If there was a second vote I would vote remain again as its my democratic right to do so. 

However I do oppose another referendum for a couple of reasons. In the last 5 years we've had a European election, a Scottish election, 2 UK elections, a Council election and 2 referendums. Political fatigue has really set in and honestly this amount of going to the polls does absolutely nothing for stability. Second of all, I believe Brexit will be an absolute shitshow and in a wonderfully indiscriminatory way, there will be people who thought Brexit to be the best thing ever who end up getting completely ****ed over by it which I look forward to seeing. Lastly, it was a legal referendum, Leave won. Britain leaves. 

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

'Leaders' are elected to act in what they perceive as the best interests of this country.

This nonsense that somehow the 'elite' want to stop Brexit should be called out for the bollocks that it is. Murdoch, Johnson, Farage, Banks are as elite as they come and all are championing Brexit.

Regardless, there is virtually no country in the world that doesn't want to have a good trading relationship with its near neighbors. The UK economy is a largely service based economy of which the vast majority of those services are exported to the EU. Loss of or restricted access to those markets even on a temporary basis will make the country as a whole a lot poorer, and in any event we would want to come to terms with our trading partners eventually anyway, except we would be in a weakened negotiating position.

The pragmatic choice is remain, the anarchic choice is leave.

I voted leave. I’m not anarchic I just think we had a referendum so why do we need a second one because it doesn’t suit your beliefs.I know you will say it’s different now because we know more about it now,Too late mate I say.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Voted remain last time. Would still do so now but think 2016 vote should be carried out, however the manner of the separation and what replaces the UK’s current relationship with the EU hasn’t been put to a vote I.e. no deal and full on third country, Norway type relationship, May’s deal & backstop etc..  If there was another vote, “remain/status quo” shouldn’t be on there as an option. I say that as a remainer but the little trust there is in politics would be entirely bereft if there wasn’t brexit at all 

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

North Berwick Jambo

For me the end goal still has to be full independence for Scotland hopefully followed by eventually rejoining the EU & I think the chances of Independence happening are greatly increased by brexit going ahead with or without a deal! 

SwindonJambo
51 minutes ago, Ibiza Jambo said:

For me the end goal still has to be full independence for Scotland hopefully followed by eventually rejoining the EU & I think the chances of Independence happening are greatly increased by brexit going ahead with or without a deal! 

The latest opinion poll on that, published by Survation a couple of weeks ago put the pro Union side 6 or 7 percent ahead, with 17 percent undecided, presumably awaiting the Brexit situation. 

If it goes well then I doubt there would be much change. If it goes badly then I would expect to see a shift then. Don't forget there were lots of Yes-Brexiteers , about 35 percent or so.

portobellojambo1

I originally voted to leave and I would vote to leave again now. Any attempt at another people vote would totally destroy democracy, the people voted and the majority vote was to leave. You cannot them have another vote just so you get a result that may suit those in parliament who hold sovereignty.

I do understand why the other countries in the European Union want us to stay in. The vast majority of them are up to their necks in debt and depend on money coming from the EU to keep them afloat. The main contributors financially are Germany, France and the United Kingdom. With the removal of the finance provided by the UK the onus would fall on German and French citizens to maintain the level of payments somehow, something they won't want to do. Their industries, most notably the car industries, are already in panic mode at the thought of the UK leaving. My thoughts were and will remain that once the UK is out other countries will follow very quickly.

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

?

SwindonJambo
26 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I originally voted to leave and I would vote to leave again now. Any attempt at another people vote would totally destroy democracy, the people voted and the majority vote was to leave. You cannot them have another vote just so you get a result that may suit those in parliament who hold sovereignty.

I do understand why the other countries in the European Union want us to stay in. The vast majority of them are up to their necks in debt and depend on money coming from the EU to keep them afloat. The main contributors financially are Germany, France and the United Kingdom. With the removal of the finance provided by the UK the onus would fall on German and French citizens to maintain the level of payments somehow, something they won't want to do. Their industries, most notably the car industries, are already in panic mode at the thought of the UK leaving. My thoughts were and will remain that once the UK is out other countries will follow very quickly.

I was at the Rock Werchter Festival near Brussels 1 week after the vote. I was front row and got talking to music fans of many different nationalities. Dissatisfaction with the EU is far from limited to these shores, with the most Eurosceptics to be found in Scandinavia. Like ourselves, Denmark and Sweden both refused to join the Euro. If we leave and don't unduly suffer, I too believe others will follow.

The problems began when it slowly morphed from a free trade area into something resembling a a supra national government with some legislative powers. If it had stayed as a mere free trade area, there would never have been a vote in the 1st place. The 1975 vote was 67 percent remain.

If we have a second vote then it means that if the government don't get the result they want they can just royally **** things up for years until people change their mind and vote the way they wanted to originally..

Once the vote was finished and the result was clear we should have set the date, given the EU the list of our wishes heavily stacked in our favour then planned to either leave with that or with no deal.

The EU could have came back with their offer and maybe we could have found some middle ground. Otherwise left with no deal.

Since the start the EU has made it almost impossible to leave.. Do you think they'd have put up this much of a fuss if Romania or Greece decided to opt out.. 

I can't believe there are some Scots who if we get independence want to rejoin the EU knowing that we will be a very small voice there and it will be impossible to leave if we aren't getting what we want from the group.. I'd like to hear more from the other group that nations such as Iceland are a part  of..

5 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

You get a general election at least every 4/5 years for this.  The referendum was constitutionally too important for the future to treat as a static political protest vote.

That said, I appreciate its difficult to get the Tories out whilst we have the weakest opposition in history.

Actually we have the strongest opposition for a long time. It is just a shame only people in Scotland can vote for this particular party.

Withdraw the Scottish vote from every election since the war and the Outcome would be the same. The strength of opposition is irrelevant for this nation.

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Respect to that.

If this doesn't lead to Scottish Independence as a member of Europe, I hope it gets reversed and the UK burns.