Scottish High School Ranking

hughesie27

3fingersreid
48 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s about the wording. There are five cats doing the catching, so the answer would be 5...buuuut, Maple Leaf said how many would be needed, so I’m with you on that wording. You could toss the other 4, as you’d only need one cat...If 1 cat can catch 1 rat  in 1 minute, then he can catch 100 in 100 minutes.

1...Boroughmuir

I’d expect boroughmuir ( school colour green!) to have rats ?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Governor Tarkin

• Maple Leaf

• luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Nah, 1 cat can kill 1 rat in 5 minutes so in 100 minutes it can kill 20, therefore to kill 100 in 100 minutes you would need 5 cats.

5. Dalkeith High School Ya Bass.

Nah, where do you get 1 cat, can kill 1 rat in 5 minutes?

It says 5 cats can kill 5 rats in 5 minutes...yes?

so therefore 1 cat can kill 1 rat in 1 minute...yes?

so therefore, if that 1 cat, can kill 1 rat in 1 minute,

that same rat, can kill 100 rats in 100 minutes.

Answer is 1

Brain over brawn ya bass

Don’t think there’s enough info to get a definitive answer. 

What if you’ve got lazy cats who are more concerned about licking their erse than catching rats. Think they’ve got that type down the school in newhaven that’s overrun with rats. 

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

How old are you bud?  Obviouslyot there when Mr Swan was given the belt by a pupil, as the belt was being banned. Would loved to have been the one giving it to him. He loved dishing it out and chucking dusters at you.

Aye, I mind Danny Swan attemping to teach me mathematics. :lol:

Dean Winchester
5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If that was the case then would 5 cats would kill 25 rats in 5 minutes but the original question tells us that's not the case.

The_razors_edge
14 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

20th for me too, it was a decent High School when i was there in the late 80s and early 90s, i was too much of a dick to appreciate it.

I was there mid 90's to 2000. Great school (too many egg chasing fanboys though!). Aren't most kids like that? I certainly know i wasted my time there. 

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Answer is 1

Brain over brawn ya bass

It's probably 5. I said 1 as I just assumed it was some sort of trick question too clever for me.

For your theory to work each cat would have to take turns at killing a rat. 

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Answer is 1

Brain over brawn ya bass

If your one cat can kill one rat in one minute, then your 5 cats which killed 5 rats in 5 minutes must have stood, each waiting there turn to kill. Your cats are unnaturally disciplined cats, and we must fear them 

I went to school #215, and all these cats and rats running around my head isn't a good thing.

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Answer is 1

Brain over brawn ya bass

No, if 1 cat can kill 1 rat in 1 minute then 5 cats can kill 5 rats in 1 minute. 

Nae brains mate. ;)

Depressing really. My eldest goes to high school this summer and her first choice is the worst in West Lothian. Her second choice is the second worst in the area.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

I was there mid 90's to 2000. Great school (too many egg chasing fanboys though!). Aren't most kids like that? I certainly know i wasted my time there. 

Was like that in the 70's as well, until we came along, well most of us had come from a footballing background at Primary school etc, few if any of us had any interest in rugby far less able to play it, anyway there had to be a group of about 20 of us who refused point blank to play rugby, this went down like a lead brick with Jack Allan & Jim Henderson (who played for Melrose at the time).

Long story short it turned out about 50/50 split for who wanted to play football instead of rugby, so in the end they had to accommodate us & let us play football when the other half were chasing eggs.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

No, if 1 cat can kill 1 rat in 1 minute then 5 cats can kill 5 rats in 1 minute. 

Nae brains mate. ;)

Aye, but his cats are following good rat killing etiquette,  and have formed an orderly queue.

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was like that in the 70's as well, until we came along, well most of us had come from a footballing background at Primary school etc, few if any of us had any interest in rugby far less able to play it, anyway there had to be a group of about 20 of us who refused point blank to play rugby, this went down like a lead brick with Jack Allan & Jim Henderson (who played for Melrose at the time).

Long story short it turned out about 50/50 split for who wanted to play football instead of rugby, so in the end they had to accommodate us & let us play football when the other half were chasing eggs.

Hendo was still a PE Teacher when I was there. I remember a few occasions our PE lessons actually getting cancelled if the 'seniors' were playing an afternoon rugby match and for our 'lesson' we were forced to stand at the side and watch! In revolt, we would kick a football about at the side of the pitch. As you can imagine that went down well with the PE staff...

Ironically, as a proper rugby secondary school i can't think of any players of note (or anyone ever playing at any significant level) amongst it's alumni . Yet, our very own Stevie McLean (in the year above me) and Kevin Thomson (the year below me) both made it professionally at football.

There are five cats, and five rats. 

The cats kill a rat each and then sit down to eat it meaning they only have to kill one each. However we don’t know how long it takes a cat to eat a rat so the answer to the 100 rat question is unable to be predicted with any accuracy. 

Trinity Academy. 

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Hendo was still a PE Teacher when I was there. I remember a few occasions our PE lessons actually getting cancelled if the 'seniors' were playing an afternoon rugby match and for our 'lesson' we were forced to stand at the side and watch! In revolt, we would kick a football about at the side of the pitch. As you can imagine that went down well with the PE staff...

Ironically, as a proper rugby secondary school i can't think of any players of note (or anyone ever playing at any significant level) amongst it's alumni . Yet, our very own Stevie McLean (in the year above me) and Kevin Thomson (the year below me) both made it professionally at football.

Murray Davidson, Ross Campbell & Steven Notman also all went on to play for professional clubs and numerous other guys have over the years played in the East of Scotland/Lowland leagues, yet PHS is a rugby oriented school but has produced a very limited number of professional rugby players over the years, certainly compared with the number of footballers who have made it professionally.

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, I mind Danny Swan attemping to teach me mathematics. :lol:

Was Swan a wee weedy looking guy with slicked back greasy hair?

Always wore the teachers sort of black gown thingy?

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Was Swan a wee weedy looking guy with slicked back greasy hair?

Always wore the teachers sort of black gown thingy?

The very gadgie.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The very gadgie.

My wife will be delighted to have had that confirmed.

Me?  Far too young to recall him.

:whistling: 

Craig Gordons Gloves
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was the decade before you, 1973 to 1977, some of the teachers who tried to teach me would still have been there when you were there.

It's possible, i was there from 86-91 (went to Biggar for 6th year after we moved).  I remember most of the teachers i had there, some because they were great, others because i fought with them.  Were any of the below there while you were? (i'm excluding the younger ones i remember)

Cruickshanks - the music teacher couple

Papa Jenkins & Reid - English

Handyside - guidance

Cranston - Techie drawing etc

Thomson, Jack - Home Eccies

Thake, Boag - physics

Waller - history

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, The_razors_edge said:

Graeme Beveridge is the only one i recall from my years that had a decent rugby career.  I played for the school and the rugby club and also played for the one season we had a fitba team under Sinclair when we went unbeaten in the borders school league.  Tbf, we played and beat the likes of Hawick High 15-0 etc.

Henderson was a decent PE teacher, not as much of a ******* as Lacon who used to get battered in the teacher v pupils rugby game.

Dunlop and Storey were far and away my favorite teachers - mainly because they actually cared and my stupid behavior didn't color them against me.  Unlike that bald wank Charleston who i went for one day in Kerr's office - long story but he was a *******. 

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

It's possible, i was there from 86-91 (went to Biggar for 6th year after we moved).  I remember most of the teachers i had there, some because they were great, others because i fought with them.  Were any of the below there while you were? (i'm excluding the younger ones i remember)

Cruickshanks - the music teacher couple

Papa Jenkins & Reid - English

Handyside - guidance

Cranston - Techie drawing etc

Thomson, Jack - Home Eccies

Thake, Boag - physics

Waller - history

Cruickshanks (seen him in Peebles just last week) Jenkins, Cranston, Thake & Boag are all names of teachers I can remember, so they are probably the same people as you remember.

And of course Hendo at PE, he was quite young in my day, probably late 20's, as I said he was still playing regularly for Melrose at the time.

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Aye, but his cats are following good rat killing etiquette,  and have formed an orderly queue.

It would appear so.  :rofl: 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

There are five cats, and five rats. 

The cats kill a rat each and then sit down to eat it meaning they only have to kill one each. However we don’t know how long it takes a cat to eat a rat so the answer to the 100 rat question is unable to be predicted with any accuracy. 

Trinity Academy. 

OR,

The five cats jump on the first rat, and it takes them one minute to kill it.  Then they jump on the second rat and that takes another minute, and so on until they've killed the first five rats in five minutes.  But these are tireless cats, so they keep on going, and kill the sixth rat in six minutes, the seventh rat in seven minutes .... all the way to the 100th rat in 100 minutes.

So, all we need are five high-energy cats.

Royal High (dropout) 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

OR,

The five cats jump on the first rat, and it takes them one minute to kill it.  Then they jump on the second rat and that takes another minute, and so on until they've killed the first five rats in five minutes.  But these are tireless cats, so they keep on going, and kill the sixth rat in six minutes, the seventh rat in seven minutes .... all the way to the 100th rat in 100 minutes.

So, all we need are five high-energy cats.

Royal High (dropout) 

I can see those school fees were worth it. ?

Why are there at least four primary schools in the list, three from D&G?

And rankings are a bit meaningless when they are alphabetic when the percentage scores are the same!  Surely better to list as in golf - joint whatever?

John Gentleman
On 22/03/2019 at 05:39, jambo89 said:

Thought West Calder would of nosedived after I left. 

I thinked wrong.

Looking at linglitgow catchment area for me little one though. 

China?

Bridge of Djoum
On 21/03/2019 at 12:10, Maple Leaf said:

As we have many high school grads on this thread, even some from prestigious schools, help me out with a wee arithmetic question that was posed to me this morning. I was (am) poor at arithmetic.

If five cats can kill five rats in five minutes, how many cats would be needed to kill 100 rats in 100 minutes?

Please identify your school with your answer, so we can judge if the school ratings are accurate.  :biggrin:

Thursday.

Leith Academy.

18 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Thursday.

Leith Academy.

Don’t think the months are acceptable as an answer.

Tynecastle High School. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, gjcc said:

Don’t think the months are acceptable as an answer.

Tynecastle High School. 

:rofl:

144 for my old school, galashiels academy. Obviously if I was there now it would be ranked a lot higher, probably 288.

18 minutes ago, superjack said:

144 for my old school, galashiels academy. Obviously if I was there now it would be ranked a lot higher, probably 288.

Obviously.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Galashiels is the location of one of my fondest memories. 

Was competing at a junior Judo competition. There was a bloke there who wasn’t the brightest (probably a WHEC alumni). He was tasked with making extra cash for the organisers by offering the option to have your medal engraved with the date and location. 

I was in the queue for this and realised he was engraving “Galashields” on all the medals. Even though I was probably only 7/8/9 at the time I was smart enough to just leave the queue and allow the error to continue. 

On 22/03/2019 at 12:38, DETTY29 said:

Something is seriously wrong where Dalbeattie is above Castle Doulglas.

Never in my day.

I used to proudly tell folk I went to Kirkcudbright Academy. No any more, after seeing that.   I think at one time Dalbeattie might have only gone up to 5th year, KBT Academy used to get quite a few pupils from the Dalbeattie area for S5 & S6, maybe CD was the same, so that may have skewed things back in the day.

Bridge of Djoum
On 21/03/2019 at 18:00, Morgan said:

Out of a possible 32?

:whistling: 

Hardly a boastful IQ.

3 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Cats are ***** anyway.

Pitbulls and cats would have been better.

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

85-89. i'm 45

Ahh, Long before my time then. I went to the newer mouse infested one. 

Libertonian_ii01
On 21/03/2019 at 14:33, Maple Leaf said:

Yes indeed.  And all male students. Which explains my shyness around females to this day.  :wink:

You as well? My last year there was the first time that females attended RHS. Daughters school Liberton is 300 and something while son's comes in at 191.

Libertonian_ii01
On 21/03/2019 at 16:52, Maple Leaf said:

Ah, OK.  In the Calton Hill days, the class you described was 1X.  Those lads were on scholarships.  I was in 1A, among the fee-paying folks.

Was 1a4 bursary cheapskate in 1969

21 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I used to proudly tell folk I went to Kirkcudbright Academy. No any more, after seeing that.   I think at one time Dalbeattie might have only gone up to 5th year, KBT Academy used to get quite a few pupils from the Dalbeattie area for S5 & S6, maybe CD was the same, so that may have skewed things back in the day.

Just as I was leaving  86, CD had a 6th year, but only for 're-sits'

These are quite frankly awful results for both the 'Academy' and CD and excellent for Dalbeattiie, which now has a brilliant new 'super school'

That said, I could only be jeered doing 4.  

Fell out with German, half way through highers.

Common room fake revising instead.

On 21/03/2019 at 18:11, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

20th for me too, it was a decent High School when i was there in the late 80s and early 90s, i was too much of a dick to appreciate it.

Same for me. Attended 88 to 94. 

How can JGHS be 47th?! Kids today letting the place down. Back in my day (85-91) was usually a tussle with Balerno for best rating in Edinburgh.

Anyway, I read it as 45th equal.

:)

doctor jambo
21 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Just as I was leaving  86, CD had a 6th year, but only for 're-sits'

These are quite frankly awful results for both the 'Academy' and CD and excellent for Dalbeattiie, which now has a brilliant new 'super school'

That said, I could only be jeered doing 4.  

Fell out with German, half way through highers.

Common room fake revising instead.

I remember my year produced 3 kids for medical school in my year, 4 to law, 3 to accountancy and numerous engineers etc.

Looks like those days are well over.

Galloway clearly isn't what it was

Unknown user
On 22/03/2019 at 11:55, Lemongrab said:

They clearly didn't go to Dalkeith High then. 

On 22/03/2019 at 11:02, Homme said:

Depressing really. My eldest goes to high school this summer and her first choice is the worst in West Lothian. Her second choice is the second worst in the area.

It's strange, people from Deans used to send their kids to Bathgate as some sort of lifestyle choice back in the 80s. Guess that doesn't happen so much these days...