Lambert(C)
Dailly
Caldwell
Freedman (Gemmill 46)
Matteo
Crawford (S Thompson 63)
Cameron (G Holt 45)(J McNamara 74)
McCann

After years of following Scotland everywhere with the Travel Club, the above team is when I said enough is enough.   I have not watched a Scotland game since. 

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• letsalldothebeattie

• merrymac

• iantjambo

Bookies make that other failure, Strachan favourite for the job, if McLeish does leave. 

Ludicrous, but believable, with our lot, especially when it will be a Celtic man’s turn. 

manaliveits105

When Strachan picked banjo boy whilst hibs were in championship (after saying he wouldn’t pick Lee Wallace whilst Rangers were in championship) that was me finished wasting money on internationals 

21 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Bookies make that other failure, Strachan favourite for the job, if McLeish does leave. 

Ludicrous, but believable, with our lot, especially when it will be a Celtic man’s turn. 

Surprised that David Moyes has not been seen as front runner with his Celtic background. 

This idiotic process of the SFA ensuring that both sides of the Old Fiirm are catered for in turn is dire.  Even more daft  when you consider  that neither set of supporters of these stains on the Scottish landscape care a not a jot about our national side.

Edited by Deevers

7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Surprised that David Moyes has not been seen as front runner with his Celtic background. 

This idiotic process of the SFA ensuring that both sides of the Old Fiirm are catered for in turn is dire.  Even more daft  when you consider  that neither set of supporters of these stains on the Scottish landscape care a not a jot about our national side.

bookies have moyes as second favourite

Holyrood_Hearts

As annoyed as I was with yesterday, seeing that wee smug p***k Strachan sitting in the studio made it 100 times worse. The guy is an arsehole & there’s no way he should be considered for the job

kirkierobroy
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Surprised that David Moyes has not been seen as front runner

Moyes still thinks he's better than he is, against all known evidence, and is waiting for that big-money call.

If he had any professional pride he'd take the next Dunfermline or Falkirk level job that came up and prove that he can still manage.

TyphoonJambo
9 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I listened to McLeish after the game, that is a man who has no clue what he's doing and just trying to stay in a job for as long as he can before the inevitable pay off.

How he can go to the opening away fixture of a euro campaign and put out that team is beyond me. Doesn't matter how many games that team have lost you go there set up to be tight for the first 20 minutes let the players settle and suss out the opposition. Get a foot hold in the game and make changes second half to win you the game. We had no decent full backs so play 3 at the back with forrest and McGinn as the wide midfielders, get McTominay or even Shinnie into the defensive midfield spot and then you have the choice of McGregor/Armstrong/Burke/McBurrnie et al as your attackers. We basically set up like a training game with attack v Defense and got horsed! 

This is one of the best young squads we've had, the competent dicks at the SFA have to go out and get a manager who has experience of international football with a track record of of working with young players. Actually spend some money on a real coach not these tired old dinosaurs who just want a pension top up. I just wish the tartan army and those who go to the home games would just stop for one game leave hampden empty until the SFA take action. Our results under McLeish are shocking and beating Albania and Israel to seek through that nations league thing doesn't detract from his shambolic record.

TyphoonJambo

I remember queing and standing 100 deep to get into hampden to watch  Maradona and Argentina post world cup. Great day and great sporting occasion. Now, i wouldn't walk into that shit hole other than to watch the famous. Absolutely no incentive to watch our national team. What a mess. Years ago we wore the "plucky losers" badge with some pride. Now were just losers, with no pride. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

Jambof3tornado
41 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

As annoyed as I was with yesterday, seeing that wee smug p***k Strachan sitting in the studio made it 100 times worse. The guy is an arsehole & there’s no way he should be considered for the job

Correct. And possibly the only reason Eck will get longer in the job.

Disgraceful situation to be in.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I get the feeling i'm repeating what's been posted by many but the result yesterday didn't stir any emotion in me aside from a shrug of the shoulders as expectations of the Scotland team have been constantly lowered for the past 20 years.  I couldn't actually tell you the last time i watched a Scotland game on the telly and i haven't even been following games on the bbc site or twitter for a while as well.  I saw us qualify and play in tourneys all the way through from 78 to 98 (with the exception of 94) and it was fun, then it just hasn't been and we've had the same shite over and over.  Might as well just chuck it to be honest.  International breaks are gash in any case.

8 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I get the feeling i'm repeating what's been posted by many but the result yesterday didn't stir any emotion in me aside from a shrug of the shoulders as expectations of the Scotland team have been constantly lowered for the past 20 years.  I couldn't actually tell you the last time i watched a Scotland game on the telly and i haven't even been following games on the bbc site or twitter for a while as well.  I saw us qualify and play in tourneys all the way through from 78 to 98 (with the exception of 94) and it was fun, then it just hasn't been and we've had the same shite over and over.  Might as well just chuck it to be honest.  International breaks are gash in any case.

That's a general feeling.

Shrug of the shoulders. Shake of the head. Some anger at players and coaches. 

Resignation. 

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Sullivan
Weir
Crainey
Lambert(C)
Dailly
Caldwell
Freedman (Gemmill 46)
Matteo
Crawford (S Thompson 63)
Cameron (G Holt 45)(J McNamara 74)
McCann

After years of following Scotland everywhere with the Travel Club, the above team is when I said enough is enough.   I have not watched a Scotland game since. 

Irony is that this team would hammer the team from yesterday...

Think of  the flak that Burley & Levein got as Scotland managers!

Having OF managers is worse as each one has continually failed to reach us to a major tournament. Before you know it we,ll have Brendan Rodgers or Steven Gerrard as Scotland boss!

ToadKiller Dog

Any  half decent European manager with a good tactical brain would improve Scotland. 

Feck the Czech guy in charge of Kazakhstan would improve us. 

But change is almost impossible in scottish football, I still imagine the xenophobic crap that Berti Vogts faced (let's laugh at his funny accent), would still be prelevent in many in our football media. 

Scottish football managers still stuck in the fantasy of the Largs mafia bull of Great Scottish managers, Ferguson was the last great scottish manager when he retired he was the end of an era of a Scottish manager type . 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

On 22/03/2019 at 04:44, cosanostra said:

What a complete and utter embarrassment. I went to every competitive home international for the best part of 20 years when i lived in Scotland and i can barely even watch the current disgrace that is our national team. 

They sacked Strachan just when he started to turn things around and have us looking like a team and replaced him with a hapless old jakey who is way past being useful.

The players are quite frankly pathetic. When guy's like John McGinn are your starting central midfielders, you can see how far we've fallen even from the days of Fletcher, Brown, Ferguson etc.

Not sure what we should do to improve things because the players we have available are so poor.

We're the worst we've ever been and there's no light at the end of the tunnel to be positive about.

Unlike many Hearts fans I believe that McGinn could easily be as good as Fletcher, Brown and Ferguson eventually, but any of these three on Thursday would have tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck and say, "come on lads, we're better than this." What we got instead were players shrinking into their shells. 

McLeish's explanation that McTominay went straight down the tunnel after the game because "he had a stomach upset" is hard to credit in the context of him having been brought on in the first place.

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, Thaw said:

McLeish's explanation that McTominay went straight down the tunnel after the game because "he had a stomach upset" is hard to credit in the context of him having been brought on in the first place.

Couldn't agree more if he was ill and struggling why use him as a change we had other options 

10 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Why would it be an issue he went straight down the tunnel? 

Callum McGregor seemed more upset at this than the performance. 

letsalldothebeattie
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

McGregor felt it was disrespectful to the fans who travelled over that he failed to go over and acknowledge them, IF he was ill and was being caught short then fair enough on McTominay going running down the tunnel. 

12 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

McGregor felt it was disrespectful to the fans who travelled over that he failed to go over and acknowledge them, IF he was ill and was being caught short then fair enough on McTominay going running down the tunnel. 

Big deal

I've been to plenty of away defeats. Never been that bothered what players do after a bad defeat. Prefer if they just piss off. Seen the team been booed for clapping fans at end. 

A few guys going over to the fans in Kazakhstan would have been okay.  I'd back McTominay having a better attitude to defeat than likes of McGregor who fight and scrap playing for Celtic but turn into pussies playing for Scotland. 

Edited by Mikey1874

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Big deal

I've been to plenty of away defeats. Never been that bothered what players do after a bad defeat. Prefer if they just piss off. Seem the team been booed for clapping fans at end. 

A few guys going over to the fans in Kazakhstan would have been okay.  I'd back McToninay having a better attitude to defeat than likes of McGregor who fight and scrap playing for Celtic but turn into pussies playing for Scotland. 

I didn't have an issue with it. Think it strikes of McGregor trying to be the big man because he was captain

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm not that bothered either way about McTominay, more at the manager taking his listeners for idiots by coming out with what seems like brazen BS.

skinnybob72
15 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Well put. Even though we had just been gubbed by a country I would struggle to pinpoint on a map it didn't bother me in the slightest. However, when Hearts lose I can be in a bad mood for days. 

Craig Brown who is always good on Off the Ball today says in his time the Scotland doctor had access to dentists for any treatment needed including surgery.

No need for players to be unavailable. 

23 hours ago, kila said:

How do we get rid of Rod Petrie?

He is next in line to be SFA President, could happen in a few months

Good article in the Scotsman by Stephen Halliday this morning making that very point. 

The Scotsman

After Thursday’s fiasco in Kazakhstan, those Tartan Army foot 
soldiers who somehow remain resolutely committed to following Scotland wherever they go must be eyeing their remaining travel itineraries on the Euro 2020 campaign trail with a sense of dread.

If we can still assume that even Alex McLeish’s beleaguered squad will avoid further damage to their battered reputation when they face the world’s worst international team in San Marino tomorrow, then the next road trip with the potential for serious pain for Scotland supporters comes on 11 June.

That’s when the Scots will face the brilliant Belgian side currently No 1 in the Fifa world rankings. But if that’s a date to be approached with genuine foreboding, it’s a less trailed event on the Scottish football calendar 24 hours later which could be just as significant in the ongoing malaise which has enveloped the country’s national team.

On 12 June, the Scottish FA will hold its annual general meeting where, as things stand, Rod Petrie is poised to be elected unopposed as the governing body’s new 
president.

There remains a possibility someone may lay down a challenge to the Hibernian chairman’s right of accession to the role. Rival candidates have until 31 March to lodge their intention to stand against Petrie and it’s understood there are some on Hampden’s sixth floor, perhaps further down the corridor in the offices of the Scottish Professional Football League, who are keen to see a contest 
rather than a simple coronation.

Because for many of those keen to see progressive change at the top of Scottish football, Petrie is perceived as very much part of the problem. He was instrumental in the appointment of McLeish as national team manager in February last year, a recruitment process which became excruciatingly ham-fisted after the protracted and failed bid to persuade No 1 target Michael O’Neill to take the job.

The decision to give it to McLeish, who had been out of work for almost two years, left the Scotland support underwhelmed to say the least. On the evidence of the execrable performance and defeat in Kazakhstan, it now looks like a major error of judgment on Petrie’s part.

A member of the Scottish FA board since 2007, his path to the presidency has been mapped out for some time. But if they hope to rid themselves of their cliched image as an old boys’ network, then the established practice of simply passing the chains of office down the line should be stopped.

That might be acceptable if being president of the Scottish FA was purely a ceremonial role. It isn’t. It is a position of considerable influence, including holding the casting vote in the event of a tied vote among the Scottish FA board of directors who are the final authority on any major decisions – including the hiring and firing of managers.

Those who championed the credentials of Ian Maxwell when he was appointed chief executive of the Scottish FA last May painted the picture of a forward-thinking reformer, someone who could shake up the administration of the game for the better.

The former Partick Thistle managing director has kept a relatively low profile while getting his feet under the table at Hampden. In fairness to Maxwell, his in-tray included myriad other legacy issues to deal with, including the future of the national stadium itself and the review of historical cases of child abuse.

But like all of his predecessors as chief executive, Maxwell will ultimately be judged on the success or otherwise of the men’s national team. He inherited the appointment of McLeish but must lead the process of finding a replacement for him when the time comes, 
perhaps now sooner rather than later.

It is Maxwell’s neck which will be on the line and he may well be asking himself if the system of hierarchy at the Scottish FA is fit for purpose in an organisation which had a turnover of £38.4 million last year.

Celtic chief executive Peter 
Lawwell, who stepped down from the Scottish FA board two years ago, publicly raised exactly that question in the wake of Stewart Regan’s resignation as chief 
executive last year.

While Lawwell insisted there was nothing to be gained by “personalising” the issue, there was little doubt who he was referring to when he criticised those “who have presided over the SFA for a number of years” and called for a restructuring at the top of the organisation.

If Petrie simply ascends 
unchallenged to the presidency 
on 12 June, then any hope Lawwell or anyone else harbours for 
meaningful change in the way Scottish football is run will 
probably remain unfulfilled.

On 22/03/2019 at 16:18, Marvin said:

Had a peek at your profile. I thought you were older than the DOB declared. Tbh you never missed much before then. Pretty much the same eyebleeding stuff then too.

I'll take that as a compliment about my maturity then ;)

To be honest, I just want to see Scotland do slightly better than we currently manage.  We have some half decent players, even if we don't have superstars.

The other Home Nations manage to at least make it to tournaments, and it would be nice to at least have the option of supporting Scotland at any event, even if (when) we get gubbed in every game! 

8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

To be honest, I just want to see Scotland do slightly better than we currently manage.  We have some half decent players, even if we don't have superstars.

The other Home Nations manage to at least make it to tournaments, and it would be nice to at least have the option of supporting Scotland at any event, even if (when) we get gubbed in every game! 

A wee bit pride and determination can go a long way like Northern Ireland seem to have with players not really any better than ours.

colinmaroon

Can we not get a Theresa May arrangement with McLeish.

Win or lose against Cyprus, he says he will resign.

Would be a good double that one.

jamboinglasgow

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-sacked-scotland-manager-14196218

The article says the biggest reason they are sacking him is the SFA have serious concerns about the stress it has caused McLeish and there was a "deeply troubling episode" before the San Marino game.

Also says the players fell out of him from the start due to the friendly before he was appointed where Malky Makay dropped some big players. This has since caused players to drop out of squads or retire (which I feel like telling those players to grow up.)

Cruyff Turn

Strachan ripping into everyone. Agree almost entirely with him, especially about clubs and academy players, “no bad” isn’t going to cut it, spot on. 

At at the moment there’s naff all cutting it. Even at Hearts, I wouldn’t say any young player at Hearts, with promise, is going to be a guaranteed first team player at 23 years old, or, if they are good enough, to get a move to a better level. 

It just seems that all of these academies, all the fancy programmes, all that stuff is just a waste of time, when 22/23 years ago Gary Naysmith walked into our first team at 17 years old looking like he had played there for 10 years and there wasn’t any of that. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/gordon-strachan-selfish-clubs-are-to-blame-for-scotland-woe-1-4897168

Cruyff Turn
27 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-mcleish-sacked-scotland-manager-14196218

The article says the biggest reason they are sacking him is the SFA have serious concerns about the stress it has caused McLeish and there was a "deeply troubling episode" before the San Marino game.

Also says the players fell out of him from the start due to the friendly before he was appointed where Malky Makay dropped some big players. This has since caused players to drop out of squads or retire (which I feel like telling those players to grow up.)

I don’t and never have thought big Eck was the right appointment but if the SFA think that punting McLeish is the answer to their woes, they are deeply mistaken. 

Its the same shit everytime, sack the manager, take the heat of them and they can slither back to their desks to make a colossal erse of something else. It simply won’t wash. It’s not McLeishs fault he was appointed by those muppets, he was never going to say no.

Whats plan b for these eejits, the next former OF player or manager on they’ve got on speedial. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Bridge of Djoum
On 22/03/2019 at 13:01, Deevers said:

It's ''Buggins Turn'' in it's purest form. 

Scotland has a hierarchy that could not give a **** about any club outside the ''OF''. It cares less about the national team. Was anyone surprised to hear McLeish's best pal, Alan McRae, was part of the selection process? The only time I have agreed with Michael Stewart was when he stated that the hiring of a Scotland manager BEFORE the appointment of a Chief Exec at the SFA was ludicrous. 

I was mocked for wanting Israel to win a few months ago on the basis it may hasten McLeish's departure. It seems more are turning this way. I'm quite happy for Scotland to be horsed in every game from now until a new Board, new ideas and a non ''OF'' mindset prevails. 

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

''Tartan Army''.

****** embarrassing name and entity. An ''army'' of drunken, apathetic fools with little better to do.

47 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

''Tartan Army''.

****** embarrassing name and entity. An ''army'' of drunken, apathetic fools with little better to do.

Reading your description of the TA and your posting  in general, i'm surprised you're not a member.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, ri Alban said:

Reading your description of the TA and your posting  in general, i'm surprised you're not a member.

I'll give you the bevvy part, but I'm actually quite a busy guy.

I know you're a proud Scotsman and nationalist, Aussie, but, seeing those TA members with kilts, Tam O'Shanters and the feather and such just makes me cringe. Grown ****** men FFS. 

I can imagine the conversation to the wife before he departs on another pointless journey.

''Ah'll be back in a week hen. ''Oil the tracks on my toy railway set and feed my terrapins''. 

''Whaur's ma feather''?

2 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

It's ''Buggins Turn'' in it's purest form. 

Scotland has a hierarchy that could not give a **** about any club outside the ''OF''. It cares less about the national team. Was anyone surprised to hear McLeish's best pal, Alan McRae, was part of the selection process? The only time I have agreed with Michael Stewart was when he stated that the hiring of a Scotland manager BEFORE the appointment of a Chief Exec at the SFA was ludicrous. 

I was mocked for wanting Israel to win a few months ago on the basis it may hasten McLeish's departure. It seems more are turning this way. I'm quite happy for Scotland to be horsed in every game from now until a new Board, new ideas and a non ''OF'' mindset prevails. 

The finest thing that could happen would be a 5000 crowd for the Cyprus game. Folk can moan, email, write letters to the papers,  scream and shout, but money speaks as far as the SFA are concerned.  Quite simply if you want change at the top,  boycott the Scotland games and don’t buy the strips. Simple.

Edited by Deevers

15 hours ago, tian447 said:

Scotland for as long as I can remember have always underachieved, even when we have hade a half decent squad. I think on occasions had the selection process had been less OF orientated then perhaps they might have done better than the current stats suggest.

6 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

So is he getting sacked or what? Swept under the rug and forgotten about thanks to the disgrace on Sunday?

Business as usual