Happy Mo Berthe Day

Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle

HAPPY MO BERTHE DAY @JamTarts fans - 20 years since this man played 73 minutes before being replaced by Leigh Jenkinson in a 2-0 loss at Dens Park - what are your memories of him or the match?

How bad was he? The gaffer looked at his bench and thought "god even Leigh Jenkinson would be a better option right now" 

Folk on here would probably still argue he was better than Ian Black though 

48 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

HAPPY MO BERTHE DAY @JamTarts fans - 20 years since this man played 73 minutes before being replaced by Leigh Jenkinson in a 2-0 loss at Dens Park - what are your memories of him or the match?

Yellow jerseys 

Can't believe that's 20 years ago. One of the most baffling displays you'll ever see in professional football.

Pretty sure JJ said he's the worst player he's ever seen during the Q&A after the "Pieman Cometh" play at Tynecastle

3 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

He would walk into the current team.  Let that sink in.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He had to be an imposter. That was our view all day, all the way home. One of those days, I believed we could be relegated, after 1 year before what a choker that would have been.

Few weeks later it was chalk and cheese at Tannadice.

A parallel from that season to this, we missed Mickey as badly as we have Naisy.

As I recall a dental problem that was causing issues in the groin. Bird that left her falsers there had a lot to answer for :whistling:

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Silvery_Moon said:

I was there. He was crap but so was the whole team that day. Dundee took 12 points off us that season.

Interesting.

15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Anyone who moans about the current crop obviously weren't there that day.

I wonder if winning the Scottish Cup this season against either Aberdeen or Celtic would afford Levein the same grace that was afforded to JJ. Jefferies played in the 0-7, lost a cup final as a player, nearly got us relegated in 1998/99 season but is almost universally adored.

Skippy Doodle
3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

He would walk into the current team.  Let that sink in.

of course he would - considering that his position was a holding mid im sure he would be a better option than Haring & Djoum - I get that football is all about opinions mate but sometimes on the odd occasion BULLSHIT does need to be called on ;) 

1 minute ago, Skippy Doodle said:

of course he would - considering that his position was a holding mid im sure he would be a better option than Haring & Djoum - I get that football is all about opinions mate but sometimes on the odd occasion BULLSHIT does need to be called on ;) 

Was hyperbole but my sentiment remains.  We are currently shite.

Skippy Doodle
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Was hyperbole but my sentiment remains.  We are currently shite.

I think I understand what you mean mate - problem with our current team is that there is no clear black and white picture on squad or staff

in certain games our industry and high press works well in top 6 matches but we have little to no quality down either flank in a winger or full back role (smith aside) which is proving disastrous against bottom 6 teams

let's put it this way I am confident we can pick up points during next 3 league games but have my doubts that we will put Inverness to the sword in an efficient manner

Randy Marsh

Looking at his wiki page he actually had a reasonable career playing in Belgium for a few years afterwards.  He was gash but he was used as a bit of a scapegoat that day.  We hadn't won in about 13 matches.  Genuinely thought we were going to get relegated after that defeat.

Central Belt 1874
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Anyone who moans about the current crop obviously weren't there that day.

I was there. Awful stuff. Bottom of the league that day.

The current team is still worth moaning about though! 

I remember on the bus after the game, an auld boy saying “****** Mo Berthe? Now you young ***** know what it was like watching Hearts in the 70’s”.

1 hour ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

I was there. Awful stuff. Bottom of the league that day.

The current team is still worth moaning about though! 

After that game, I was convinced that less than a year after THAT glorious day, we were getting relegated. I just couldn’t see how we could avoid it.

Enter Colin Cameron.

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

After that game, I was convinced that less than a year after THAT glorious day, we were getting relegated. I just couldn’t see how we could avoid it.

Enter Colin Cameron.

No goals until April in the league! I remember that was a bad season but didn't think it was that bad. 

I remember the Daily Record had an advert that season with two players from each team with the You and Me Song by the Wannadies playing. Ours was Cameron and Adam. It pained me watching that every time. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I remember on the bus after the game, an auld boy saying “****** Mo Berthe? Now you young ***** know what it was like watching Hearts in the 70’s”.

True. We really were truly awful then

He was not a professional football. JJ was had.

I was only 16 at the time but remember the disbelief from everyone. By the time he was eventually subbed, everybody was just taking the piss out of him

You can see that in the 2 seconds he's on the ball in the highlights.

It's like he's never seen a ball before.