• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• OBE

• The Real Maroonblood

• been here before

On 23/02/2020 at 11:39, Mr 3 Putt said:

Don't know if they've fix it yet but the huge pot hole at ferry road/junction street at the road works was ****ing ridiculous.

Don't think it has!

Also the nick of Coburg Street after having buses diverted down it for the last 7 weeks is unreal, huge sections of tar have disintegrated back down to the cobbles underneath.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:13, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

I walk home from the Government Buildings to Inverleith and got wacked on the leg with loose rubble from that stretch of road if a small kid was walking along they could quite easily be hit in the face. it's a terrible stretch of road and they keep repairing it piecemeal effort.

It’s been council fixed, they’ve put a traffic cone over it now , alls well and good 👍🏻

as I said on a previous thread/post the pedestrians at that point are between the road and the cycle race track , surely the pedestrians should’ve been the farthest from the road ? 
vehicles

bikes

people 

On 26/02/2020 at 19:37, moshy said:

So glad I decided to move out of Edinburgh 4 years ago, people living there are just getting taken for mugs.

Where did you move. 

19 hours ago, weehammy said:

Sunday parking charges to go ahead despite 91% objections in the consultation. That should reduce traffic a bit.

Why bother with a consultation though?

Its their usual tactic - they present their argument and if you don't agree with it then they do it anyway.

The same thing happened 15 years ago in our area about speed bumps.  Unanimously rejected so they put it in.

18 hours ago, The Brow said:

Where did you move. 

Moved to the countryside , now work from home. no more sitting in Edinburgh traffic on a daily basis, bliss.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, moshy said:

Moved to the countryside , now work from home. no more sitting in Edinburgh traffic on a daily basis, bliss.

That’s a great part of the country.

😃

5 hours ago, moshy said:

the countryside. 

Not for me. 

On 23/02/2020 at 23:05, ArcticJambo said:

Often drive the Gorebridge-Temple-Over the moors to Peebles route.  First time I used it on Tuesday past after about four weeks - it had deteriorated quite a bit and there was one section where the Toyota Hilux I was driving almost disappeared; it was like driving through no-mans land at the Somme!

This one?

image.png.b5823714ccf56cc06113c55a7518b2d5.png

14 minutes ago, Dunks said:

This one?

Looks a bit like the surface of Chalmers Street.

Edited by Lemongrab
not chambers, you divvy

14 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I see the clowncil is now reducing the speed limit from 40 to 30 on 21 roads. 

Maybury road has already changed. That was a 60 not that long ago.  Its a long straight road with a roundabout in the middle so hardly a complicated drive.

My concerns are that a number of drivers ignore this speed limit and still do 60+.  When you get traffic driving at significantly different speeds on the same road then the road becomes dangerous.

9 hours ago, Dunks said:

This one?

Haha, yes I guess so, pretty close to a farmhouse, buildings etc.  I enjoy that drive; was able to stop right beside a fence post once, where a hawk/falcon was sat all proud. Gave me a disdainful eye, and flew away.  :lol:

Ironically (kinda) enough, when I got to the junction with the A703 I was held up for a bit as they were resurfacng that entire section of the trunk road.  Seems they're doing the same at Fisherrow just now too, doing the bit of the road that least needs it!

...a bit disco
10 hours ago, Dunks said:

This one?

That's the Bankhead Roundabout, surely?

On 25/02/2020 at 12:10, Stuart Lyon said:

Just one of many potholes seen over the last few days. This one is in Blackford Avenue outside the Avenue Store

PotHole BlackfordAve.jpeg

Council want to run a tram to dalkeith, could not run a bath that lot.

One of the mini roundabouts at Bughtlin in East Craigs (stop before or after terminus depending on bus direction) has a number of large pot holes that these new buses can't avoid.  

Stuart Lyon
10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Council want to run a tram to dalkeith, could not run a bath that lot.

Apparently this pothole has been filled-in.

Jambos_1874

The City Bypass is the worst ****ing road in the world. Not for potholes, but for an absolutely shambolic design and complete lack of capacity. Absolutely shocking for a capital city.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambos_1874 said:

The City Bypass is the worst ****ing road in the world. Not for potholes, but for an absolutely shambolic design and complete lack of capacity. Absolutely shocking for a capital city.

The muppets never had the foresight to build it with 6 lanes.

Sheriffhall is a farce.

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The muppets never had the foresight to build it with 6 lanes.

Sheriffhall is a farce.

The pollution Sheriffhall stationary traffic emits must be of the scale. I've sympathy for the commuters using this abortion of a bypass. The latest screeching's from the Scottish Government suggest the end of the car is nigh, where is the alternatives?

Been watching the housing development spreads at Wallyford and Blindwells (Tranent). Combined they will produce 4500 new dwellings, retail outlets, schools, nursery's and health centres. Wallyford and Prestonpans will soon be joined, Port Seton, Tranent and Macmerry will follow and all this to be serviced by an inadequate road system...I despair!

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The pollution Sheriffhall stationary traffic emits must be of the scale. I've sympathy for the commuters using this abortion of a bypass. The latest screeching's from the Scottish Government suggest the end of the car is nigh, where is the alternatives?

Been watching the housing development spreads at Wallyford and Blindwells (Tranent). Combined they will produce 4500 new dwellings, retail outlets, schools, nursery's and health centres. Wallyford and Prestonpans will soon be joined, Port Seton, Tranent and Macmerry will follow and all this to be serviced by an inadequate road system...I despair!

That’s mind boggling.

• 1 year later...
Stuart Lyon
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That brutal.

It is brutal and it is widespread throughout the city. The SNP/Labour charlatans are as bad as their Westminster counterparts for abusing Covid powers. I am not a Tory but if they promise to remove all the allegedly temporary Spaces for People measures I might just vote for them.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It is brutal and it is widespread throughout the city. The SNP/Labour charlatans are as bad as their Westminster counterparts for abusing Covid powers. I am not a Tory but if they promise to remove all the allegedly temporary Spaces for People measures I might just vote for them.

I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than vote for them.

The council who say complaints are down they are because everything is online you used to call them just like refuse problems all online Very xnezky to do because of the hoops to go through and complain so make it harder to record it and hey presto 

Those stupid bicycle 'lanes' caused by those temp posts

Feeble excuse in the first place for fitting them and now they want to create a survey to influence people to vote for them when most don't know what they are voting for

Edinburgh kisses the backside of cyclists far too often and those in charge as so pro bike it is frightening

John Findlay
35 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Those stupid bicycle 'lanes' caused by those temp posts

Feeble excuse in the first place for fitting them and now they want to create a survey to influence people to vote for them when most don't know what they are voting for

Edinburgh kisses the backside of cyclists far too often and those in charge as so pro bike it is frightening

Those in charge probably never ridden a bike in their lives.

9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Those in charge probably never ridden a bike in their lives.

Probably get taxis to and from their offices paid for by the taxpayer.

John Findlay
22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Probably get taxis to and from their offices paid for by the taxpayer.

That wouldnt surprise me.

• 1 month later...
luckyBatistuta

I was dropping a couple off at their house on Lanark road at the weekend. As we approached, we could see emergency vehicles beside their house. A car had come down Lanark road and drove straight in to a parked van. The man I was dropping said that the van was his neighbours and he had recently bought it and was parking it in these crazy spaces that sit out in the road in between the cycle bollards and the roadway. The van had been knocked through the bollards, across the pavement and through the wall. It was a definite write off. The cars front end was crushed up almost to the windscreen. I’ve had a little look online and not seen any news story on it. Was hoping everyone was alright and also looking forward to reading the council’s shitty explanation on it. The driver obviously wasn’t 100% focused on the road, or they wouldn’t have collided with the van, but these spaces are dangerous imo. Has anyone read or heard anything about it.

Jambos_1874

I was away from Edinburgh for the best part of 7 months due to the pandemic and although I knew how bad the roads were beforehand, it really hit it home (quite literally in some cases) how bad the roads are when I returned. I have never been to a capital city, or any city for that matter, with roads as bad as Edinburgh. They are absolutely appalling. Take St Mary's Road for example. It is a cobbled street at the heart of the tourist area yet any pothole is just very roughly filled in with tarmac. It looks shocking and is an absolute embarrassment, especially when showing round visitors. I find it staggering that the council prioritise things such as the trams over improving the roads. Surely those in the relevant department travel over these roads regularly and see how bad they are!!!? 

Edited by Jambos_1874

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I was away from Edinburgh for the best part of 7 months due to the pandemic and although I knew how bad the roads were beforehand, it really hit it home (quite literally in some cases) how bad the roads are when I returned. I have never been to a capital city, or any city for that matter, with roads as bad as Edinburgh. They are absolutely appalling. Take St Mary's Road for example. It is a cobbled street at the heart of the tourist area yet any pothole is just very roughly filled in with tarmac. It looks shocking and is an absolute embarrassment, especially when showing round visitors. I find it staggering that the council prioritise things such as the trams over improving the roads. Surely those in the relevant department travel over these roads regularly and see how bad they are!!!? 

The roads are shocking.

The cobbled roads patched up with tar are a total embarrassment.

ArcticJambo

South Queensferry, a great wee cobbled high street ... same thing, shoddy tarmac patching all over the shop. Disgrace tbqh.

• 4 months later...
Malinga the Swinga

Council elected purely on party voting and not local issues. The SNP fanatics just vote for the party, regardless of the utter contempt that the SNP, and their little Green party stooges, have for Edinburgh.

Absolute disgrace the way council is run.

Dennis Reynolds
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Will delivery vehicles be exempt?

Nope.

"National exemptions

Some vehicles will be allowed into the LEZ, whether they meet the standards or not as often it is not easy to adapt these vehicles to the meet the LEZ standards. This is set out in the LEZ law and applies across all of Scotland's LEZs. This is likely to include

vehicles for people with disabilities, including blue badge holders

historic vehicles (vehicles over 30 years old, no longer in production and preserved in original state)

emergency vehicles

military vehicles

showman’s vehicles."

Jeffros Furios

We should overthrow the council leaders and execute them during the fringe ,

About time we had a worthwhile show .

War declared on vehicles

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/motorists-driven-city-centres-scotland-cut-emissions-cop26-v0cc58jq3

And all those retrofitted buses may be polluting more than they did before

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/retrofits-making-diesel-buses-even-dirtier-cop26-5ttwv6tff

Don't think they know what they are doing.

Dennis Reynolds

LEZ didn't win enough votes to go through 😏

The Green party amendment was voted through though which would actually extend the LEZ to other areas but this will require more consultations so probably unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Thankfully it seems the other parties raised the major objections that had been brushed over in the consultation which seems to have put this on hold for the time being. 

I actually don't necessarily disagree with the proposals but the way the Council go about these things is ridiculous and with very little benefits to the people that live here so I'm glad they've got a bit of a bloody nose from this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Democracy at work

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/spaces-for-people-council-ignores-majority-view-in-survey-over-future-of-one-of-most-controversial-schemes-3450096

I drove south on Braid Rd yesterday morning and as I made my way up the steep hill before the Braids Hotel there was a solitary cyclist on that stretch and he was pushing his bike up the hill! Don't tell me EH has a cycle friendly terrain!

The SNP/Labour CeC are as big a bunch of charlatans as the Tories at Westminster.