Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Made the journey up to bankhead recycling centre today to get rid of our old mattress.

On the way back going east along Bankhead drive the road surface has broken up and is in 

a shocking state, certainly the worst ive noticed in Edinburgh, not being funny but ive seen better farm 

roads, wonder when this will be fixed. 

Anyone else with similar stories regarding our roads.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• OBE

• The Real Maroonblood

• been here before

been here before
48 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Made the journey up to bankhead recycling centre today to get rid of our old mattress.

On the way back going east along Bankhead drive the road surface has broken up and is in 

a shocking state, certainly the worst ive noticed in Edinburgh, not being funny but ive seen better farm 

I hope not...

...a bit disco

Due to the state of the roads round here, I now have to replace a spring and shock on the front drivers side on my car for the second time in just over a year.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

They’ve been awful for years Harry.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Literally everyone in Edinburgh has that story. The roads are a disgrace, everywhere. 

Unfortunately the city is broke: not as if it has a quarter of a billion pounds to spend on a transport initiative. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

No pacific story but have had to replace 2 tyres in 3 months due to the roads in Edinburgh.

Pathetic.

maroondevo52

Resurfacing starting in Bankhead within the next few weeks.

Worth reporting any significant defects. Can be quite a while between scheduled checks depending on the road.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20089/roads_and_pavements/1070/report_a_road_or_pavement_problem

Dunno about Edinburgh but East Lothian react quite quickly to reports. Often just a temp patch job but at least then someone officially inspects even if perm fix takes longer.

Lots of fun to be had on Lothian Buses' finest carriages.      Rattled around to buggery on bone shaking single deckers.     Pitched and bounced about on the double deckers.     Journey from seat to door is a laugh sometimes.

tokyowalnut

Can you not just use your Nimbus 2000 to avoid the pot holes?! ?

I burst a tyre hitting a pothole in Muirhouse last year. The b****** was in a puddle, so I knew nothing till I hit it.

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Can you not just use your Nimbus 2000 to avoid the pot holes?! ?

Aye to sweep the problem away, lol.

scottishguy

A couple years back, in Livingston,  someone painted a huge pink penis around a pothole that had been complained about for weeks. Got sorted the day after the penis appeared ?

Sexton Hardcastle

Won’t get any better with the continued cutbacks.

The utility companies should be fined when they constantly dig up the same roads weeks after they have been resurfaced after previous work. Happens time and time again leading dreadful patch jobs. Surely the idiots could work on a more planned and coordinated fashion?

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, scottishguy said:

A couple years back, in Livingston,  someone painted a huge pink penis around a pothole that had been complained about for weeks. Got sorted the day after the penis appeared ?

:rofl:

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

North Edinburgh's pothole situation is a disgrace. Through a MOT my car must be fit for the road...these roads ain't fit for my car.

You could have just said 'bump'.

19 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

You could have just said 'bump'.

Wanted to highlight the atrocious state of the roads in North Edinburgh, two cars were taken out on Ferry Road on Wednesday morning, a couple of recovery vehicles involved, the damage was that bad. Pothole and manhole covers repaired Wednesday night Thursday morning. 

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Wanted to highlight the atrocious state of the roads in North Edinburgh, two cars were taken out on Ferry Road on Wednesday morning, a couple of recovery vehicles involved, the damage was that bad. Pothole and manhole covers repaired Wednesday night Thursday morning. 

Whoosh :D 

It is ridiculous though. I mentioned a burst tyre above. I've also had two broken springs.

Howdy Doody Jambo

The whole toon is a mess, George Iv Bridge is a minefield of potholes 

plastic cones everywhere there must be more per head of population in Edinburgh 

Shanks said no

Haymarket Terrace is crumbling fast, I complained about the pothole by the tram stop and they threw some tar in it. Now the whole section is beginning to disintegrate, the whole road was relaid less than 2 years ago. 

John mcCartney

New big buses are ****ing the roads on their Newhaven area routes,Stanley road,Craighall road roundabout.....
Im driving home Thursday eve along nearing Stanley road/Newhaven road junction and big new bus swings round the corner towards me both of us stop approx 10 ft apart head on and the driver wants me to reverse.

Stenhouse Drive from the junction of Saughton road to Stenhouse cross ,particularity the east bound side ,is a section of road that has a valid claim for being the worst stretch of road , certainly in Edinburgh and possibly the Lothians and beyond . 
I cringe every time I drive along it . 

Damaged the front left tyre of my car due to a pot hole on costorphine yesterday. Never seen it as it was dark. 

How do I report it?

Mate of mine burst a tyre and damaged an alloy years back. Got in touch with a company called accident exchange. They delivered him a brand new BMW the next day and he kept it for weeks while they pursued the local council to repay the cost of the wheel and tyre. Cost the council 000's in the end due the rental of the BMW

On 19/03/2019 at 16:38, Harry Potter said:

Drive along here every day from work and it is in a shocking state.

The Real Maroonblood
On 19/03/2019 at 16:38, Harry Potter said:

A year on and it's worse and right along to Broomhouse Road.

Absolutely brutal.

Often drive the Gorebridge-Temple-Over the moors to Peebles route.  First time I used it on Tuesday past after about four weeks - it had deteriorated quite a bit and there was one section where the Toyota Hilux I was driving almost disappeared; it was like driving through no-mans land at the Somme!

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A year on and it's worse and right along to Broomhouse Road.

Absolutely brutal.

We cant expect miracles.🙁

Nelly Terraces
On 19/03/2019 at 22:07, PTBCAL said:

Colinton Road is always in poor condition 

Sure is. I drive or cycle on it nearly every day.

Since I started cycling to work (do it as it's just the quickest way of getting there from where I am in Craiglockhart) you really begin to notice how bad the roads are, got to keep your wits about you when you're on a bike & driving on them isnt much better.

Fxxx the SPFL
On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 22:23, 3fingersreid said:

Stenhouse Drive from the junction of Saughton road to Stenhouse cross ,particularity the east bound side ,is a section of road that has a valid claim for being the worst stretch of road , certainly in Edinburgh and possibly the Lothians and beyond . 
I cringe every time I drive along it . 

I walk home from the Government Buildings to Inverleith and got wacked on the leg with loose rubble from that stretch of road if a small kid was walking along they could quite easily be hit in the face. it's a terrible stretch of road and they keep repairing it piecemeal effort.

On 22/02/2020 at 22:16, John mcCartney said:

New big buses are ****ing the roads on their Newhaven area routes,Stanley road,Craighall road roundabout.....
Im driving home Thursday eve along nearing Stanley road/Newhaven road junction and big new bus swings round the corner towards me both of us stop approx 10 ft apart head on and the driver wants me to reverse.

It's easier for you to reverse than the bus.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

It's easier for you to reverse than the bus.

Also buses aren’t allowed to reverse on a main road.

Can remember when the new Scottish office buildings were opened at Victoria Quay in Leith (1996). A few American guests arrived at Edinburgh airport, then transferred to the Leith buildings. They asked the chauffeur why they were being transported to their destination on temporary road surfaces.:rofl: 24 years on, Commercial St is still in an embarrassing dangerous state and continues to deteriorate.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Also buses aren’t allowed to reverse on a main road.

Yeah they can, Your just ment to use a banksman which could just be a passenger but sometimes you need to just do it without. In the case of a stand off with a car though I was told to put the handbrake on and sit until they move.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Yeah they can, Your just ment to use a banksman which could just be a passenger but sometimes you need to just do it without. In the case of a stand off with a car though I was told to put the handbrake on and sit until they move.

I suppose if it goes alright but if it goes tits up.:facepalm:

14 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I suppose if it goes alright but if it goes tits up.:facepalm:

I reversed over a massive sign my first day out on my own, the noise really turns your stomach. Reversing round a corner on a bus is really easy it's going in a straight line that is hard.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Herbert said:

I reversed over a massive sign my first day out on my own, the noise really turns your stomach. Reversing round a corner on a bus is really easy it's going in a straight line that is hard.

:laugh: