Billy McNeil

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Reading on twitter he is not very good at all. Family apparently been called to hospital. 

Scottish footballing legend. Very Sad to hear.

Great player and captain.  From what I've read before his passing may well be a merciful release and I mean that in the kindest way.

He has been suffering from dementia for a number of years and as anyone who has had first experience of the disease will tell you is a horrible and undignified end to life.Such a cruel end for such a proud and dignified man. A great man and a great loss to Scottish football

Very sad. On the radio joe miller was talking about how he was in the hospice etc. It’s so sad , always came across really well and a legend for his club

Really sorry to hear this. Another piece of my childhood football history passes. A great captain in one of the greatest football teams of all time. 

i wish jj was my dad

Horrible to hear about Mr McNeil's illness. A truly great man who genuinely reached the stars. 

rudeskaboyuk

Really sad news if true. A great player and manager. I would also say a genuinely nice guy who quite rightly is a Celtic man through and through. 

Never heard a bad word about him. 

Wish him all the best.

A really decent guy. Used to work in Polmadie in the South Side of Glasgow and would often go for a pint after work in his boozer. He would be in there occasionally and was always happy to chat, no ego and very down to earth. I know he's been ill for ages, thoughts go out to his family. 

SectionDJambo

He was sat next to me and my, then young,  son years ago, at a home match against Celtic.

He happily chatted to my son and signed his programme. A very nice guy.

What was more telling though, was the complete lack of abuse or misbehaviour towards him from Hearts fans, who he was surrounded by. There was a respect, which flies in the face of the accusations of sectarianism we get flung at us about our contempt for certain other Celtic people.

When people behave with respect, they generally, get it back. He is a true legend of Scottish football.

Could show the present Celtic captain about how to conduct yourself on

and of the pitch a true leader thoughts with his family 

When I was involved in a minor part of the refurbishment works at Celtic park in 1988, I met him briefly when he was trying to round the players up and chase them out for training, as others have said, a gent in every sense.

Highly respected man and footballer. 

I remember when he was briefly involved with Hibs he was very complimentary about the Edinburgh derby. He reckoned it was as passionate as the Old Firm game, but with a smaller attendance. 

Also recall a live radio chat between him and John Greig when Billy suggested that John had as many medals as he had, but his were all runners up. 

Thoughts with the man and his family at this difficult time. 

SwindonJambo

The sign of a true great is when they have the respect of both supporters and opponents alike. Not rare in his day, much more so nowadays with the spoiled brat generation. Thoughts with those close to him. 

Heartsofgold

I was at a Sportsman's dinner years ago with him and Frank McAvennie.  Great speaker and stayed about to chat after his speech.  I heard that he was in a bad way about a month ago.  Dementia is such a terrible way for it to end for a man that can truly be labelled a Scottish Football legend.