VAR FA Cup

Mikey1874

I think the fairness of the FA Cup is undermined by some games being refereed by VAR (Premier League home clubs only) and some not. 

Proven tonight by Swansea conceding 2 goals (definitely the winner) would be disallowed with VAR. 

Harry Potter
46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think the fairness of the FA Cup is undermined by some games being refereed by VAR (Premier League home clubs only) and some not. 

Proven tonight by Swansea conceding 2 goals (definitely the winner) would be disallowed with VAR. 

Var used and Man u player Lindelof has his red card overturned to a yellow for a bad tackle on wolves Dioga

Jota, IMHO i thought it was a red, and Var has got this wrong.

gashauskis9
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Var used and Man u player Lindelof has his red card overturned to a yellow for a bad tackle on wolves Dioga

Sorry, but if that’s a red then the game is finished.  Wouldn’t have even attracted a yellow card 30 years ago.

Central Belt 1874
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Agree to both comments. All games or not at all. The Man Utd player should have been off. 

tartofmidlothian

I think we need the VAR ref to confirm that really was 2012 cup loser Matt Doherty in that Wolves team. :wow:

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I think we need the VAR ref to confirm that really was 2012 cup loser Matt Doherty in that Wolves team. :wow:

This.

2 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Agree to both comments. All games or not at all. The Man Utd player should have been off. 

It was never a red card.  

3 minutes ago, barcajambo said:

It was never a red card.  

Big debate in the pub about this : initially I thought it was harsh but the replay shows the Wolves players' standing left leg was wiped out first in the challenge and that was a potential serious injury in the making.  

What i didn't understand  was why a  penalty wasn't awarded to Wolves when Bolly is clearly shown to be grabbed by a Man U player with both arms at a corner and wrestled to the ground.  Why no VAR ? 

Slightly different but obviously without VAR, but I watched extended highlights of the Rangers v. Aberdeen cup tie this morning.

How Goldson hasn't been cited for a horrible full studs challenge on on Connor MacLellan, I'll never know?  Right in front of linesman too.

Thought Morelos' booking for diving was slightly on the harsh side, but no penalty.

His other 3 incidents were 1 clear yellow not given and should have seen red, considering 1st yellow.

There are another 2 including the booking McKenna got which to me should have been on the verge of Morelos getting booked although admittedly if you believe that if a brush of arm / hand on torso entitles you to chuck yourself to the ground and be awarded a free kick, then fine.  Mmmm.

But the point about the FA cup stands.

There is no way with the money in English football they should be picking and choosing VAR at this stage.

indianajones

Not a red in the wolves game. 

Not a pen in the city game. 

VAR in Scottish football would be incredible. Imagine having a level playing field vs the mafia in the west. 

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, indianajones said:

VAR in Scottish football would be incredible. Imagine having a level playing field vs the mafia in the west. 

Correct. 

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, indianajones said:

it's a double whammer against Swansea. penalty & offside goal.

Scottish football (VAR & Goalline), I still have no confidence it being used fairly for the other clubs when playing against the duopoly.

gashauskis9

Sadly VAR won’t eradicate the bias towards the uglies up here.  It still relies on human input, albeit a small amount, and that’s still enough to tip the balance towards those cheating *******s.

skinnybob72
11 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Sadly VAR won’t eradicate the bias towards the uglies up here.  It still relies on human input, albeit a small amount, and that’s still enough to tip the balance towards those cheating *******s.

This 100%.

I thought VAR was for clear cut decision such as was the foul in the box or not? The Lindelof yellow / red card call was still completely down to the referee. If that was Willie Collum looking again at an incident it would be a red card for a Hearts player and a yellow card for Scott Brown.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Sorry, but if that’s a red then the game is finished.  Wouldn’t have even attracted a yellow card 30 years ago.

Aye bud i played 30 years ago, some brutal tackles back then, still say VAR will improve our game 100%.

This decision last night was based on an opinion of a panel , and tbh a difficult one to call.

Most VAR decisions are more clear cut.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

it's a double whammer against Swansea. penalty & offside goal.

Scottish football (VAR & Goalline), I still have no confidence it being used fairly for the other clubs when playing against the duopoly.

Christ surely even we couldn't eff up goaline technology?

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Christ surely even we couldn't eff up goaline technology?

I've said on here before. We would still let the ref override if he didn't agree. Only for 2 clubs.

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

We wouldn’t though.   The same inempt and corrupt officials will be responsible for using it. 

Pasquale for King
17 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

It’s not 30 years ago it’s 2019, the sooner you and these useless pundits get that through their heads the better. 

gashauskis9
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not 30 years ago it’s 2019, the sooner you and these useless pundits get that through their heads the better. 

???.  I’ll mention it to Shearer, Lineker, Murphy, Neville and co next time we go out for a pint together then.

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

TBF, the challenge was not a red in the modern game. VAR allowed the panel to correct the linesman's error. 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

???.  I’ll mention it to Shearer, Lineker, Murphy, Neville and co next time we go out for a pint together then.

Do that, mugs ?

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

TBF, the challenge was not a red in the modern game. VAR allowed the panel to correct the linesman's error. 

It’s up for discussion, off his feet, reckless, two footed, if the guys leg is planted it’s a broken leg. If you can’t get to the ball without going through the player you can’t make an attempt. Pundits get paid thousand and have no idea what constitutes a foul or a hand ball or what merits a red card.

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s up for discussion, off his feet, reckless, two footed, if the guys leg is planted it’s a broken leg. If you can’t get to the ball without going through the player you can’t make an attempt. Pundits get paid thousand and have no idea what constitutes a foul or a hand ball or what merits a red card.

True. The grey areas all seem to stem from refereeing inconsistencies. They should be allowed to explain their decisions (as some want to) but some want to get on the phone to Gerrard on Saturday evenings to apologise to him. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

True. The grey areas all seem to stem from refereeing inconsistencies. They should be allowed to explain their decisions (as some want to) but some want to get on the phone to Gerrard on Saturday evenings to apologise to him. 

Indeed, nobody seems to have asked why he had his phone number in the first place?

Pundits moan when the ref only had 1 second to make a decision.

Then they moan when it takes 2 to 3 minutes to make the decision with VAR.

The fault I with the FA.

If it cannot be used in every tie don't use it all.

3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

If VAR had been at all 4 FA Cup games (which it should have been), Citeh would have been out.

You don't know that.

They might have scored from the corner.

Edited by benny

The Treasurer
36 minutes ago, benny said:

You don't know that.

They might have scored from the corner.

More chance of scoring from a penalty (unless it's Hearts of course).

Their 3rd goal would have resulted in a free kick for offside.

38 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

More chance of scoring from a penalty (unless it's Hearts of course).

Their 3rd goal would have resulted in a free kick for offside.

If they did not get the penalty the whole game would have been different. Again if the penalty never came off the keepers legs a different pattern would have emerged.

They would not have had that attack for the 3rd goal.

The wholwhole game would have been different.

What was that Bruce Willis film that describe this pattern of events.

The only option's available to the FA for VAR being used in the FA Cup are

- Use it only for Premier League clubs at home + games at Wembley

- Use it only for games at Wembley

- Don't use it at all

Having VAR at the Swansea game V Man City just isn't possible, the planning and installation of the kit required is different at every single stadium so unless the FA surveyed all 120 odd stadiums entering the first round then there just isn't the time between draws to survey all the stadiums not already setup and then install the required kit or to arrange for any additional bandwidth/personnel. 

Regarding VAR in Scottish football, I'm not convinced as research into VAR decisions indicates that while offsides and mistaken identity reviews tend to get the correct result, judgement calls (handballs/penalties/red cards) can be wrong just as often as without VAR. Not to mention that the cheats officiating our game will still be able to do so with impunity as things like 2nd yellow's are not reviewable by VAR!!

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Swansea were a Premier League club till recently.

Have they dismantled all the facilities?

they would not have had VAR when they were a premier league club

Bazzas right boot

VAR is better but not 100% like glt. 

It's not been sold as 100%  full proof either. 

It will help but there will still be mistakes, the good thing is that clear and obvious mistakes should be almost completely rectified, however some things will still be debatable. 

Offsides, obvious fouls in the build up to a goal, mistaken identity, in/out the box will have a very high success rate. 

Yellow / red cards will still be debated, even as they are now after several replays and handball will also be a judgement call still. 

Not perfect, but better than we are just now. 

I still think a ref in each half might help. 

The refs must get knackered and it's hard to stay with the play and watch everything. 

One ref watching the ball and the play while the other ref watches the whole pitch, the linesmen could also actually be assistant's rather than just Linesman. 

Allot cheaper as well. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Here is something from the Aussie League that would complement VAR ...... mic'ing up the referees.

That was quite interesting to watch.

Maybe commentators relay what the ref says in big decisions to the viewers. Would hate to hear it all the time during a game, I get fed up with commentary.

Edited by kila