Christophe Berra

Phil Dunphy

Phil Dunphy

Woeful again. 

Between aimlessly hammering the ball out of play, being caught for pace on more than one occasion and failing to ensure the players heads didn’t drop, he was shocking again today. 

He needs dropped. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Bridge of Djoum

• gashauskis9

• iantjambo

Jambof3tornado

He does indeed. Said it weeks ago. Clevid offers more leadership. His positioning has got him in trouble in nearly all of our last 6 games.

spirt of 98

Tin hat on I said he was finished a few weeks ago and got hounded on here.... time will tell but am still in the he’s finished camp. 

He certainly looks finished. Last year he was the best defender in the league with out being decent on the ball. Now he seems even worse on the ball and inexplicably can’t defend. 

Clevid is not the answer long term either

3fingersreid

His injury hasn’t helped him , probably been rushed back and his confidence is shot . I see him being used in the way Hughes was meant to be used next season , playing when injuries and/or suspensions hit Souttar and whoever his partner will be . 

Definetly needs a rest . 

not only is he shite he's also our captain.... but where are is leadership skills? when does he ever rally the 'troops'? when does he encourage our young players?  

Woeful today. Was beaten a few times

amd went to ground claiming fouls. Lucky for him WC gave them. He’s our weakest link and how the feck can’t CL see this? If he persists with Berra then more heartache lies ahead. Can’t pass, can’t run and doesn’t even know where his own headers land. CLevid should be lining up with soapy 

cardboardcutout

He’s been asked to play every game since his injury and at his age it shows! He was never that quick but has lost a yard and it’s being compounded by the fact souttar has not stepped up and taken the lead!

Love him and don't think he's finished (It's not like the injury has ruined his pace or something considering that he was never quick before) but looks to be lacking confidence and badly out of form since he came back. Could do with a few weeks out. Dikamona hasn't let himself down yet and deserves a start.

31 minutes ago, OTT said:

100% he's getting worse and worse. Give him a rest for a week and let Dikamona get a run. 

This. I don’t think he has recovered from his injury properly. He needs rested.

GorgieRules22

Craig Leveins fault this one as the guys clearly not fit. We shouldn’t  have started him today and just given him today and the international break to recuperate.

Clark Griswold

He’s been rushed back too soon after his injury, I think he needs a rest and a good preseason and he’ll be back to his normal self. Here’s hoping anyway.

I think he's been rushed back from a serious injury a month before he was supposed to be fit. I don't believe he can suddenly be finished considering the start he had to the season

All our players who have been out appear to be brought back too early and struggle to recapture their form

gashauskis9

Was feeling his hamstring quite a lot today.  It’s clearly still bothering him and that pitch won’t have helped.

Breaks my heart to see him look weak like this.  

Fort Vallance

I think he still has a big role to play for us. Fitness might be part of the problem and the end of the season can't come quickly enough for him. If we honour of the cup he might be better missing the last few games and taking a rest.

I still think we will be told he is has to go under the knife again and he is battling through pain to get to the end of the season. 

tartofmidlothian
28 minutes ago, Simo said:

Love him and don't think he's finished (It's not like the injury has ruined his pace or something considering that he was never quick before) but looks to be lacking confidence and badly out of form since he came back. Could do with a few weeks out. Dikamona hasn't let himself down yet and deserves a start.

Agree with this. I really hope we get Halkett, but Berra will still do a job next season.

Hairy Nugget
42 minutes ago, jambo_ said:

not only is he shite he's also our captain.... but where are is leadership skills? when does he ever rally the 'troops'? when does he encourage our young players?  

Agree noticed it today especially in second half he looked a beaten man.Saying that there was absolutely no emotion or fight from the whole team today.

CloustonHMFC

He needs ‘rested’ until the end of the season. Let him have another preseason after his injury and see if he can get back to it. 

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He’s been the weak link in our defence for a number of weeks now.

Yup. Teams have actually targeted him!!

Shovelly Joe

Berra clearly rushed back from injury and has looked absolutely off the pace. Clearly cannot play out from the back and we miss Michael Smith as another option as well as Souttar to bring the ball out.  

As our captain and a Hearts man through and through he still deserves more respect than some of the comments above.  

Hopefully he can ram it up the detractors by lifting the cup in May....

Jambof3tornado
Just now, iantjambo said:

Can’t help thinking we rushed him back.

That seems to be mentioned a lot as a bit of a stick to beat Levein with(not accusing you). Berra has been in the game long enough to stand his ground if he isnt fit.

1 hour ago, red said:

He needs a rest asap. Not the same player came back 

Gets a two week break now. Time will tell if that’s enough 

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

That seems to be mentioned a lot as a bit of a stick to beat Levein with(not accusing you). Berra has been in the game long enough to stand his ground if he isnt fit.

I get what you’re saying. I wasn’t having a pop at CL though.

Plenty other threads for me to do that :D

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

I get what you’re saying. I wasn’t having a pop at CL though.

Plenty other threads for me to do that :D

To ge fair CL is causing his own problems but if Berra has come back still carrying an injury then more fool him,and us for extending his contract.

1 hour ago, Clark Griswold said:

He’s been rushed back too soon after his injury, I think he needs a rest and a good preseason and he’ll be back to his normal self. Here’s hoping anyway.

Because of the kind of person he is I think he's probably rushed himself back but dogs in the street can see he is toiling.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

It doesn't help when CL plays him at left back.  Looks totally uncomfortable when he's out of the central position.

BINGO!!!

12 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

To ge fair CL is causing his own problems but if Berra has come back still carrying an injury then more fool him,and us for extending his contract.

:spoton:

4 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Hes not played left back this season

No shit!!  The poster was referring to Berra in a back 3 and constantly hoofing the ball forward from the left back area!

Edited by Thomaso

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Woeful again. 

Between aimlessly hammering the ball out of play, being caught for pace on more than one occasion and failing to ensure the players heads didn’t drop, he was shocking again today. 

He needs dropped. 

I think it is painfully obvious that he has come back from his injury too quickly or that injury did damage to his knee which has proven to be irrepairable, even if he thought everything felt right again. He still looks very comfortable when the ball is in the air, as per the recent game at home versus Celtic. But he has lost an awful lot when the ball is on the ground, and when teams are putting pressure on our back 4 they are targetting three in particular in the hope the ball will end up with Christophe and he just delivers it long, forward. The reason I think it is possible his injury hasn't recovered properly or fully is he just seems to have got so much slower over a relatively short period of time, and it is impossible to tell if even time off over the close season will correct things.

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Hes not played left back this season

I beg to differ.  Whenever we play 3 at the back, he's out wide left, which is left back position in anyone's book.

He's usually left exposed by Mulraney who never tracks back.

The left back position is usually the starting point for most of our attacks, when he hoofs it forward to no-one in particular.

In no way am I excusing Berra’s use of the ball but he must be stretched to his physical limit by now, him and the rest of the defence, because they’ve had to fight hard all season to keep us in games because we toil to score goals.

Berra is fine.  Our problems are right and left back.....especially Garuccio.  The mistakes they make cause problems for him and Souttar.