Vanechek - poor tactics or just not very good

DVB

We should have him on the door of the new boozer inside the stand . I’ve seen milk turn quicker. Did we actually pay a fee for him . 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Deevers

• Cruyff Turn

portobellojambo1
20 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Its back to lump up the park to MDV, McKenna, etc!

A style of play that has only worked while one player was in the side in relatively recent years, and that was Kevin Kyle. The benefit of doing it while he was in the team was he could actually win headers. As such whenever the ball was played forward in the air Kyle attracted two or three defenders, creating space for others to benefit when the ball was knocked into their path.

portobellojambo1
21 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Vanacek had little chance to shine today, one opportunity to score and missed it. Doubt if he received one ball in to his feet entire 45 mins he was on. Not sure what he is supposed to do with balls fired overhead or at his chest waist etc when there’s not another Hearts player within  20 yards of him. 

I find the above a little difficult to follow, as on another thread running at the moment you said we were the better side until Hamilton scored. Vanacek was only on in the first half, and team performance wise the above suggests we were poor, which matches how I interpreted us after the opening 5/10 minutes. Second half we did even less, which is why my wording of 2nd half was garbage.

Edited by portobellojambo1

2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I find the above a little difficult to follow, as on another thread running at the moment you said we were the better side until Hamilton scored. Vanacek was only on in the first half, and performance wise the above suggests we were poor, which matches how I interpreted us after the opening 5/10 minutes. Second half we did even less, which is why my wording of 2nd half was garbage.

No inconsistency. I thought we did press them and had all the game in their half until they scored. I didn’t say we played any great football, just had all the possession and all the territory. Morrison and to an extent Mulraney dud try to stretch them early on. Morrison nearly scored an excellent goal. The rest of the play whilst in the Hamilton half led to little other than poor crosses straight tontheir keeoer. That said nearly every time the ball was played to Vanacek it wasn’t to feet. It’s clear after the little we have seen of him that he is used to playing the ball on the ground yet the ball is fired at him as if he was a 6 foot6 target man. He wasn't involved that much hence my point re difficult to judge him yesterday. He did have one howling miss. Jury still out in my opinion. 

portobellojambo1
55 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No inconsistency. I thought we did press them and had all the game in their half until they scored. I didn’t say we played any great football, just had all the possession and all the territory. Morrison and to an extent Mulraney dud try to stretch them early on. Morrison nearly scored an excellent goal. The rest of the play whilst in the Hamilton half led to little other than poor crosses straight tontheir keeoer. That said nearly every time the ball was played to Vanacek it wasn’t to feet. It’s clear after the little we have seen of him that he is used to playing the ball on the ground yet the ball is fired at him as if he was a 6 foot6 target man. He wasn't involved that much hence my point re difficult to judge him yesterday. He did have one howling miss. Jury still out in my opinion. 

In terms of Vanacek I agree with that. I think he arrived assuming life here was going to be relatively easy and didn't appreciate just how different the football is.

I know there is one thing I would change about this season, even though it is too late to do so now and I have friends who loved the few days away and some Winter sun. During the Summer was the first time the team have been taken to Gullane in a wee while now. I know the club went down there at times in the past, and if not there they were up in the Braid Hills running up and down those hills constantly for two or three days. I think being at Gullane prior to the season starting played its part in how we started the season looking so fresh. If things could be rewound then rather than toddling of to Spain for around a week I would have preferred if the coaches had taken the players back to Gullane during the Winter break. That would hopefully have helped get rid of any cobwebs which were building up. anyway that's just a thought given how different the first 3 months of the season were in comparison with the remainder, even taking into account the players we lost at the same time. I don't believe there is much if anything to be gained from playing friendlies mid season against teams whose style of play is nothing like what you come up against in a regular season.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Vanacek was better, or perhaps not as bad is more apt, than Uche yesterday. I fear Uche’s greed is becoming detrimental to the team. Opponents are putting 2, sometimes 3 men on him but instead of laying the ball off, he seems to fancy barging through every time. I think we need something in between Vanacek’s attempts to quickly lay the ball off with flicks and Uche’s tank tactics. 

30 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

In terms of Vanacek I agree with that. I think he arrived assuming life here was going to be relatively easy and didn't appreciate just how different the football is.

I know there is one thing I would change about this season, even though it is too late to do so now and I have friends who loved the few days away and some Winter sun. During the Summer was the first time the team have been taken to Gullane in a wee while now. I know the club went down there at times in the past, and if not there they were up in the Braid Hills running up and down those hills constantly for two or three days. I think being at Gullane prior to the season starting played its part in how we started the season looking so fresh. If things could be rewound then rather than toddling of to Spain for around a week I would have preferred if the coaches had taken the players back to Gullane during the Winter break. That would hopefully have helped get rid of any cobwebs which were building up. anyway that's just a thought given how different the first 3 months of the season were in comparison with the remainder, even taking into account the players we lost at the same time. I don't believe there is much if anything to be gained from playing friendlies mid season against teams whose style of play is nothing like what you come up against in a regular season.

Could do it now during the two weeks off. 

maroonsgotop
3 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Vanacek was better, or perhaps not as bad is more apt, than Uche yesterday. I fear Uche’s greed is becoming detrimental to the team. Opponents are putting 2, sometimes 3 men on him but instead of laying the ball off, he seems to fancy barging through every time. I think we need something in between Vanacek’s attempts to quickly lay the ball off with flicks and Uche’s tank tactics. 

I think this where we miss Naismith. He would be on Uche's case straight away

8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

We've hardly seen Vanacek really, way way too soon to be passing judgement. 

Exactly how I feel. The pity is though that he spent so much time bigging himself up before he arrived here and so little on ensuring he was going to arrive in prime condition.  I would actually like to see him play in a game where he was paired up with another striker before passing judgement on him. I don’t think playing as the loan striker suits his style at all. 

14 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

A style of play that has only worked while one player was in the side in relatively recent years, and that was Kevin Kyle. The benefit of doing it while he was in the team was he could actually win headers. As such whenever the ball was played forward in the air Kyle attracted two or three defenders, creating space for others to benefit when the ball was knocked into their path.

Plus the benefit of having rudi and temps behind the big man to drive forward on the knockdowns.

We rarely keep the ball in the final third, our possession in the latter part of the pitch is shocking, its usully a quick attack where we lose the ball and it comes back to us.

Even when uche gets the ball the support for him is usually lacking

7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Exactly how I feel. The pity is though that he spent so much time bigging himself up before he arrived here and so little on ensuring he was going to arrive in prime condition.  I would actually like to see him play in a game where he was paired up with another striker before passing judgement on him. I don’t think playing as the loan striker suits his style at all. 

We had dundee livi partick at home, ideal game to have started both uche and vanacek 

4 minutes ago, Elshin said:

We had dundee livi partick at home, ideal game to have started both uche and vanacek 

I had a feeling that Uche would be “rested” on Saturday. It was a real chance for to play Vanacek and Keena together.  I really don’t get the fear of being aggressive in our tactics when we are playing away from home against teams like Hamilton.

14 minutes ago, Elshin said:

i cant see them being a good partnership tbh, to me it would be too static. and we lack enough movement as it is

3 minutes ago, Dinger said:

i cant see them being a good partnership tbh, to me it would be too static. and we lack enough movement as it is

See deevers reply above.   We have been too static since october.   No reason not to try something different,   looks clear as day the new lad is not a lone front man.   Uche goes wide and pulls defenders so having a goalscorer in the box may benefit us.

Worth trying imo 

Other teams use fast forwards who can nip in take chances and score. We have two lumbering guys who can't score , can't pass and simply lumber around until they fall over.A good example is Uche against Thistle. Instead of passing the ball, Uche blootered his shot well wide of the goal. As a comic turn it was great but from a footballing perspective it was dire. Only CL could pick two desperate dan types as his strike force.

It seems Vanecek is regarded as cover for Uche, so we can bomb it long to an isolated striker, especially away from home. I do not suppose route one football was covered to any great extent when our young coaches were gaining their qualifications. It is primitive although can be effective in some situations with the right players to support. Kevin Kyle, Sandy Clark could play that role but they were supported with players coached and instructed to get forward quickly. We are defending even when in possession. I watched how Aberdeen played Rangers at Ibrox in the cup, their game plan was classic counter-attacking, win the ball and have three or four players driving forward quickly into the acres of space. This is how they normally approach OF away games and have had success. Every team should have this in their armoury why not us.

Edited by Skacelsid

He's the tip of the iceberg.  We've no urgency, movement or creativity.  Everything is unbelievably obvious and at snail's pace.

Inverness will Horse us at Hampden.

He probably hasn't got used to having to look so far up in the air for every pass, once his neck muscles get better he may do ok.

hopefully he can still come good.

We've a habit of expecting our strikers to do all the work to create as well as finish. 

He will probably end up going back to czech or netherlands or somewhere and start banging them in again.

The whole situation has been strange from the start. You could point the finger at him for not being at full fitness but he was hung out to dry by CL, while others have been well supported and given time.

Bazzas right boot

All I read here is about our long ball game. 

Pretty sure there was a survey carried out and we played the long  ball less than every team but two. 

I've also seen every other team play and most do use the long ball more, Killie being the most obvious as many think Clarke is a football genius, but he's very direct. 

The problem for me is that players don't seem to be able to pass and move.  Sometimes our players seem to lack the basic intelligence of take a touch, move it on. On top of this some players aren't consistent enough in their general play and make poor choices. 

Uche, although I like the guy he must pass more. No point in going past a few players or creating space but eventually losing the ball. 

Sometimes we are badly caught out when he does this. 

Our lack of fb cover is glaring now that Smith and Mitchell got injured. 

Clare, although I like him as a player and he's improved I am not sure the team is better with him In it. 

He's not a striker, he's no use out wide and as a link between midfield and attack he's not nearly influential enough over a whole match. 

Haring since his injury has become slower in transition with the ball and looks like a centre half in midfield now. 

Bozanic is neat and tidy but not that effective in any way. 

Djoum is wasted out wide. 

Without Naismith and to an extent Lee we must have about ten goals over a season in the team with Haring on about half of them. Be lucky if there was ten league goals between the team on the park on Saturday. 

DV should have added to the team, he was in decent form but he looks cumbersome and disinterested, despite showing one or two neat touches. 

He might get better after a pre season but it does not look likely ke he's adding anything to the side this year. 

Every game we play is 50/50, we're just as likely to lose to Dundee as we are to beat Aberdeen. Frustrating. 

Cruyff Turn

Not down with this ‘dud’ chat at all. I think first of all he needs games and to find his feet in Scottish football which is clearly much faster paced and more physical than most leagues in the world.

Secondly, he needs service and support. Same goes with Uche. 

From what ive seen of him in a Hearts jersey, he’s got good control and he’s quite intelligent in how he tries to create space for others as well as the wee flicks and lay offs.

Benefit of the doubt for me, he needs the support from midfield and service from wide areas. 

We could have Ronaldo upfront but if he’s not getting a chance to score or the support he’d look like a bag of shite as well. 

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Pretty sure there was a survey carried out and we played the long  ball less than every team but two. 

I've also seen every other team play and most do use the long ball more, Killie being the most obvious as many think Clarke is a football genius, but he's very direct. 

The problem for me is that players don't seem to be able to pass and move.  Sometimes our players seem to lack the basic intelligence of take a touch, move it on. On top of this some players aren't consistent enough in their general play and make poor choices. 

Uche, although I like the guy he must pass more. No point in going past a few players or creating space but eventually losing the ball. 

Clare, although I like him as a player and he's improved I am not sure the team is better with him In it. 

He's not a striker, he's no use out wide and as a link between midfield and attack he's not nearly influential enough over a whole match. 

Haring since his injury has become slower in transition with the ball and looks like a centre half in midfield now. 

Without Naismith and to an extent Lee we must have about ten goals over a season in the team with Haring on about half of them. Be lucky if there was ten league goals between the team on the park on Saturday. 

DV should have added to the team, he was in decent form but he looks cumbersome and disinterested, despite showing one or two neat touches. 

He might get better after a pre season but it does not look likely ke he's adding anything to the side this year. 

Every game we play is 50/50, we're just as likely to lose to Dundee as we are to beat Aberdeen. Frustrating. 

For the past couple of years we've had players who couldn't control a wet bag of cement in a phone box. Amazes me they've made it as REAL professional footballers. We have players with no actual ball control skills. Second touch for many is a tackle. Running with the ball they have it so far in front of them they open them selves up to either losing it easily or having to dive in to a 50/50 tackle. That gives the ref no option than to pull a card. We cant cross a ball consistently enough for any player running into the box to know where to run. Front post, penalty spot, back post or corner flag. We're $#!te at crossing. We're $#!te at crossing from a dead ball. Forget about a running cross. We don't shoot enough, we always try to walk it in. We're not nearly good enough for that yet. Take a shot. Djoum is the perfect example of this. We dive into tackles when all you need to do is stand the guy up. We push opposing defenders in the back when they're running towards their own goal line. Let him worry about you and getting rid of the ball rather than fouling him and giving them a free kick to relive the pressure. We did this against supposedly better players when playing Celtic with a high line and their defence was all over the place. We take forever to take throw ins and corners giving teams time to react. I'm sure theres much more but we could be so much better as proved against Celtic.

Rant over.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Hope you are proved wrong bud .

Me too.

My heart is heavy but I fear another dud.

We should move our stadium to Duddingston 

:sob:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It's very hard to tell. He hasn't been impressive but he and Levein have obviously got off on the wrong foot and the hoof ball we play is a challenge to say the least.

I'd like to see him play under a different coach with different tactics before I draw a conclusion.

Berra than you
24 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Not down with this ‘dud’ chat at all. I think first of all he needs games and to find his feet in Scottish football which is clearly much faster paced and more physical than most leagues in the world.

From what ive seen of him in a Hearts jersey, he’s got good control and he’s quite intelligent in how he tries to create space for others as well as the wee flicks and lay offs.

Benefit of the doubt for me, he needs the support from midfield and service from wide areas. 

We could have Ronaldo upfront but if he’s not getting a chance to score or the support he’d look like a bag of shite as well. 

This is where I am at. I thought he looked ok/good in his first game for us. He showed nice touches and movement into space, getting an assist to cap it off. Against Dundee he was awful, and rightfully hooked. Craig's comments after that game were probably merited, but both him and the player should take the blame for that.

Since then he has had no real time in the team to do anything. I thought he was very unlucky to come off in saturday. He had no service whatsoever, the few crosses we got into the box were dreadful, and he had no chance of connecting with them. He should have scored, and a striker full of confidence/in form would bury it. Apart from that he had some nice passes to where the wingers should have been running into. When he did win lumped balls there was nobody within 15/20 yards of him to receive the ball.

He was crying out for uche/keena next to him, and for one of the wingers or even Clare to go off. Craig's sub at half time didn't work, and after another 5/10 minutes he brought keena on for mulraney, the sub he should've made at half time.

Similar to what others have said, there is no way to fairly judge him, when he has had no run in the team, and next to no service.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

For the past couple of years we've had players who couldn't control a wet bag of cement in a phone box. Amazes me they've made it as REAL professional footballers. We have players with no actual ball control skills. Second touch for many is a tackle. Running with the ball they have it so far in front of them they open them selves up to either losing it easily or having to dive in to a 50/50 tackle. That gives the ref no option than to pull a card. We cant cross a ball consistently enough for any player running into the box to know where to run. Front post, penalty spot, back post or corner flag. We're $#!te at crossing. We're $#!te at crossing from a dead ball. Forget about a running cross. We don't shoot enough, we always try to walk it in. We're not nearly good enough for that yet. Take a shot. Djoum is the perfect example of this. We dive into tackles when all you need to do is stand the guy up. We push opposing defenders in the back when they're running towards their own goal line. Let him worry about you and getting rid of the ball rather than fouling him and giving them a free kick to relive the pressure. We did this against supposedly better players when playing Celtic with a high line and their defence was all over the place. We take forever to take throw ins and corners giving teams time to react. I'm sure theres much more but we could be so much better as proved against Celtic.

Rant over.

Great post 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Berra than you said:

This is where I am at. I thought he looked ok/good in his first game for us. He showed nice touches and movement into space, getting an assist to cap it off. Against Dundee he was awful, and rightfully hooked. Craig's comments after that game were probably merited, but both him and the player should take the blame for that.

Since then he has had no real time in the team to do anything. I thought he was very unlucky to come off in saturday. He had no service whatsoever, the few crosses we got into the box were dreadful, and he had no chance of connecting with them. He should have scored, and a striker full of confidence/in form would bury it. Apart from that he had some nice passes to where the wingers should have been running into. When he did win lumped balls there was nobody within 15/20 yards of him to receive the ball.

He was crying out for uche/keena next to him, and for one of the wingers or even Clare to go off. Craig's sub at half time didn't work, and after another 5/10 minutes he brought keena on for mulraney, the sub he should've made at half time.

Similar to what others have said, there is no way to fairly judge him, when he has had no run in the team, and next to no service.

Good post

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We were 9th, I think we would be first in the passing the ball backwards instead of forwards.

Good post ??.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good post.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were 9th, I think we would be first in the passing the ball backwards instead of forwards.

Good post ??.

Aye, maybe. 

Even the flair masters from Lochend way, who founded the game of football and slick passing where well above us. 

The urgency, fluidity and decision making have gone to rat shit. 

If we actually beat Aberdeen it will only add to the frustration. 

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Me too.

My heart is heavy but I fear another dud.

We should move our stadium to Duddingston 

:sob:

Ha ha.

8 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

It seems Vanecek is regarded as cover for Uche, so we can bomb it long to an isolated striker, especially away from home. I do not suppose route one football was covered to any great extent when our young coaches were gaining their qualifications. It is primitive although can be effective in some situations with the right players to support. Kevin Kyle, Sandy Clark could play that role but they were supported with players coached and instructed to get forward quickly. We are defending even when in possession. I watched how Aberdeen played Rangers at Ibrox in the cup, their game plan was classic counter-attacking, win the ball and have three or four players driving forward quickly into the acres of space. This is how they normally approach OF away games and have had success. Every team should have this in their armoury why not us.

It's brain numbing mate, totally agree. the lack of pace destroys this team. We don't make runs in the final third or try push full backs past the wingers. A marauding full back steaming past the winger to make space or to collect a through ball is badly missing. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Arry said:

The new Husref Musemić

Winner v hibs incoming then. 

?

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great post 

Good post

Good post ??.

Good post.

Get your hole last night? 

???

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Rant over.

Pretty fair in most regards esp open play attacking. 

Although I think in general attacking set plays are far better this year, although we do get a few howlers, overall they've been a good weapon. Last year I felt an attacking set piece was better for the opposition! 

Also think some of you points are Scotland players ( players In this league) in general, frustrating but not only a Hearts thing. More of a overall quality thing? 

16 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye, maybe. 

Even the flair masters from Lochend way, who founded the game of football and slick passing where well above us. 

The urgency, fluidity and decision making have gone to rat shit. 

If we actually beat Aberdeen it will only add to the frustration. 

That’s what I find so frustrating - at the start of the season when we were on that winning run we were playing some pretty incisive football.  It’s all become so.  pedestrian and painful to watch now. 

The team changes week in week out but the tactics are the same no matter who plays.

The manager does not know how to change from this utter hoofball garbage.

Or is it us making a decent forward play like mince? We seem to be really good at reversing talent rather than letting it flourish. Harsh I know but I’m just a bit peeved off 

upgotheheads

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-explains-decision-to-substitute-hearts-striker-david-vanecek-at-half-time-1-4891525

“We didn’t hold the ball up well enough. When it went forward, it came straight back down again,” Levein told the Evening News. “I don’t solely put the responsibility on David. I needed to see how he would perform in the system we were playing.

Levein swapped a striker for a striker in a situation where he agrees that we were not able to hold the ball up front. I would have thought that it would have been better to have brought on Uche and play with two up front in a 442 or 532 in that situation.

If your a goal down then it's more strikers you need, not the same or fewer. 

35 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-explains-decision-to-substitute-hearts-striker-david-vanecek-at-half-time-1-4891525

“We didn’t hold the ball up well enough. When it went forward, it came straight back down again,” Levein told the Evening News. “I don’t solely put the responsibility on David. I needed to see how he would perform in the system we were playing.

Levein swapped a striker for a striker in a situation where he agrees that we were not able to hold the ball up front. I would have thought that it would have been better to have brought on Uche and play with two up front in a 442 or 532 in that situation.

Exactly that negativity of the man is beyond belief,he would be hoping to snatch a draw.He would be happy with that.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

It sounds like he was experimenting in a game that he really needed to win.

I cannot get my head round that at all.

Everyone to blame bar Craig . Very good at deflecting when I read his press today and all days it’s never the manager taking any of the responsibility...... many do but not CL . 

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It sounds like he was experimenting in a game that he really needed to win.

I cannot get my head round that at all.

Edited by buzzbomb