Careers after football

Maroon Sailor

4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Yep sorry meant to say it was Gordon jr. he cut my hair when he played for Falkirk and Celtic and after it all. Gave me the odd lift back to corstorphine where he lived at the time and after he played , as I was usually his last appointment and my folks lived not far from him. Good Jambo.

his dad did the shop up the stair as you say and is an absolute legend , total legend

The barbers almost next to the TSB?

Opposite the Chinese restaurant?

Wouldnae describe him as a ‘legend’   :wink:  but more of a real Hearts man!

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Wilkie Bauld and Johnie Hamilton had paper shops. Gorgie Road and Slateford Road 

Hamilton’s for a pink, then Malones for a bag of rolls for the Sunday morning hangover!!

:) 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

The barbers almost next to the TSB?

Opposite the Chinese restaurant?

Wouldnae describe him as a ‘legend’   :wink:  but more of a real Hearts man!

Yep that’s the one. 

Gordon Marshall sr is a legend to me. Still does work for the club in corporate when he’s able

Just now, Morgan said:

Hamilton’s for a pink, then Malones for a bag of rolls for the Sunday morning hangover!!

:) 

Malones ??????

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Yep that’s the one. 

Gordon Marshall sr is a legend to me. Still does work for the club in corporate when he’s able

That’s pretty good to hear Foz!

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Malones ??????

I know!

More rolls than Pamela Anderson!

:biggrin:

Calebs Grandad

Willie Pettigrew and Davie Dodds went onto the fashion circuit as male models for Hugo Boss. 

Joe Harper became a personal trainer promoting his own health food products. 

Inspector Villiers
4 hours ago, Locky said:

Who for? I used to work around George Street and used to see a guy going about in suits a lot who I swore was Gary Wales double, but I thought he looked too young and just didn't think it would be him.

Mcewan Fraser Legal, Aye he hasn't aged, looks like he could still be playing but he's 40 now

Pasquale for King

If these guys are fit enough, along with young guys who don’t make the grade, would be good referees. They could be fast tracked and have a decade long career as a ref. 

Pasquale for King

Robbie Horn is an Estate Agent as well as a manager of Bonnyrigg Rose.

Henry Smith was a barman at the Diggers for a wee while, got sacked for playing the puggy all the time when he should’ve been cleaning allegedly.

Saw Ally Brazil working on the buses as it’s been said up there ^^, bald now though.

Im sure JJ used to work for an insurance company in the late 80s.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I know!

More rolls than Pamela Anderson!

:biggrin:

???

Al Rennie had a pub in Falkirk (not Edinburgh as i thought) iv been politely told by family 

Edited by sadj

millerjames398
3 hours ago, sadj said:

???

Al Rennie had a pub in Falkirk (not Edinburgh as i thought) iv been politely told by family 

He owned the black mill inn, in carronshore for years??

17 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

He owned the black mill inn, in carronshore for years??

?? No idea why i was thinking Edinburgh. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Ribble said:

Quite a number over the years have become posties, must be that they are still finished by lunchtime that they like!

I may be wrong but didn't Alan Lawrence make the papers as he got the sack for dumping mail (or something along those lines)?

Michael Hart (Aberdeen, Preston, Livi, Hibs) is oil and gas industry. 

Derek Lilley (played a handful of games for us) scored in 2004 League Cup final v Hibs was a relationship manager with Bank of Scotland then left to become a sales manager with Cadburys. 

Ramon Vega (Spurs and Celtic) went into banking and finance. 

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Yep sorry meant to say it was Gordon jr. he cut my hair when he played for Falkirk and Celtic and after it all. Gave me the odd lift back to corstorphine where he lived at the time and after he played , as I was usually his last appointment and my folks lived not far from him. Good Jambo.

his dad did the shop up the stair as you say and is an absolute legend , total legend

I was working in the West end oyster bar when raith beat Celtic in the league cup final. Young Gordon used to pop in semi regularly, as you said a decent guy, but he used to sit with his missus and they kept themselves to themselves. The day of that final, Gordon was in, I served him and his missus, I just said bad luck today, he said thanks but knowing I was also a Jambo I probably didn't mean it (he said it tongue in cheek).

2 wee tubes came in, huns I think. They realised Gordon was sitting in the bar. After getting drinks for themselves they started trying to wind Gordon up. He just sort of laughed at first, but it was obvious he just wanted left on his own. 1 of said tubes then said something like it serves you dirty taigs right. At this point, Gordon stood up and started walking towards the plebs, they suddenly realised just how big the guy was and shat it. Left their drinks and ran out the pub. I was glad as that was a scrap I didn't fancy trying to.break up.

11 hours ago, LeftBack said:

On the Drum Brae so yes. Great pub. Many many happy memories

Its an Indian restaurant now. I passed it a year or so ago and it looked a sorry site, all boarded up. I had many a great night in there.

The Real Maroonblood
15 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yep.

Dave Clunie had Olivers in Rose Street.

I’m sure he also had one in Dalkeith.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Its an Indian restaurant now. I passed it a year or so ago and it looked a sorry site, all boarded up. I had many a great night in there.

The spice lounge yeah.Tollcross hearts pick up from there.The smell wafting outside Haha.

Maroon Sailor

Mick Channon - Racehorse trainer

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

On the BBC World Football podcast this week (or maybe last week’s now) there is a short discussion about players prior to the wage boom.

Mentioned Mickey Hazard (fantastic player) is a London cabbie. 

Gordon Hunter works with City Cabs, as does Jimmy Sandison (as posted). Cropley and Ralph Brand with them too. Plus it’s a couple of no very nice Hibbys that run the show up there.

Big Chuck with Central so go black cabs with them, or use one of the apps!!! Also, Crabbo was with Central Executive ferrying important RBS staff around.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Its been an Indian restaurant for about 10 years. Certainly towards the end the Rainbow was very run down. Bare carpets and generally grotty. In its day it was a great boozer. Could be a bit lively mind you... 

Carl Fredrickson
10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I worked in Torphican Street from 1988-1990 and used to pop into the newsagents for an Evening New to read on the bus home. My memory is Gordon Sr in the paper shop whilst Gordon Jr was in the barbers. 

Re Gary Wales https://www.mcewanfraserlegal.co.uk/about

image.thumb.png.03022a4c648632f575cf24cf5cf19fe6.png

jambocraig89

Austin McCann works for British Gas as Heating Sales Advisor in the Glasgow Area, had the pleasure of speaking to him on the phone and reminding him of that goal he scored against celtic :) 

11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

He did win two league titles and three league cups!

Fair point Barney!  :thumbsup:

I know Roy and Alan.

They had Harry’s Bar too, didn’t they?

Yep. Alan no longer with us but Roy used to sit behind me in the Wheatfield. 

The Real Maroonblood
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Indeed!

Cruickie worked in Scotts in Rose Street and (I think) The Tynecastle Arms.

Peter Marinello had Marinellos on the Walk.

Cruickie also worked laterally at Sighthill Health Centre.

Everytime I see his name it really annoys me the way he was treated by Hearts.

Matthew Le Tissier
14 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

See Brett Ormerod quite a lot driving for DPD around Chorley

If you ever bump into him ask him how Kevin Phillips wife is ?

I'm sure Alex MacDonald and Sandy Jardine used to insist the squad had a good standard of education knowing that a career in playing was a relatively short one, so  that the players have something to fall back on when they hang up their boots.

andythejambo
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure he also had one in Dalkeith.

It was Alan Anderson.... he had the Wheatsheaf Inn for a while...got my first season ticket from Alan in 1974 for doing the internal signwriting in the Pivot.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Cruickie also worked laterally at Sighthill Health Centre.

Everytime I see his name it really annoys me the way he was treated by Hearts.

Me too, mate.

Quite disgusting, considering what he gave to our club.

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Didn’t know that one either.  :rolleyes:

My school too!  

I was like a starstruck kid when I met him a few months ago

A midfielder who never quite got the credit he deserved imo.

exactly my thoughts as well

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

John Martin Airdrie Keeper - Home Shopper in Tesco.

SCAB

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

I was like a starstruck kid when I met him a few months ago

exactly my thoughts as well

SCAB

Aye I know grew up just round the corner from him.

LeylandJambo
4 hours ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

If you ever bump into him ask him how Kevin Phillips wife is ?

? Pretty sure i'll get an honest answer right enough

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Me too, mate.

Quite disgusting, considering what he gave to our club.

My dad says day in day out he was absolutely one of the loveliest men you’d meet and of all the saves my dad has seen over the years he will never see one better than Cruckie going the wrong way then turning in midair and getting the ball 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

My dad says day in day out he was absolutely one of the loveliest men you’d meet and of all the saves my dad has seen over the years he will never see one better than Cruckie going the wrong way then turning in midair and getting the ball 

Your dad was dead right.

I was in attendance at a birthday party of his, in his house, as my best pals uncle was the Hearts ‘PR man’’ back then.  His name was Ian Scott btw.

You would be hard pressed to meet a nicer man than Jim.

Cruickie got the hard end of the stick from Hearts, which is still incredibly disgusting in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Your dad was dead right.

I was in attendance at a birthday party of his, in his house, as my best pals uncle was the Hearts ‘PR man’’ back then.  His name was Ian Scott btw.

You would be hard pressed to meet a nicer man than Jim.

Cruickie got the hard end of the stick from Hearts, which is still incredibly disgusting in my opinion.

Yes and something that should of been put right a long long time ago.