Jump to content
To Be Frank

Levein’s plans for next season

Recommended Posts

cheetah
12 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

 

Did you attend matches 15 years ago?

 

Yes Frank I did, thanks for asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sidjamesbottle
49 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

 

 

It's actually a massive difference, Likley £2-£3m difference if we reach the final. 

 

If we get 4th, then there's Europe, another £500k plus extra  (even if only 2/3 games) all on top of last season. 

 

Massive difference to us. 

 

Plus Sammon wage 😂

You don't make as much from a cup final as you think the SFA take the first 43% to distribute  amongst the clubs you really have to win it to get the benefits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Whenever I hear someone described as a flair player I think 'Shite most of the time but every so often produces something magical'.

 

Yep, that's what i feel sometimes too.

 

I would prefer to have players not afraid to get forward and make things happen, to pick up the ball and press forward and get into goal scoring positions. The last thing we need right now is a Jose Quitongo-type, or someone who likes a trick or two but is actually ineffectual.

 

More importantly,i want us to be more confident when playing 'lesser' teams and really try to impose ourselves in their third of the pitch, rather than inviting teams onto us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, cheetah said:

 

Yes Frank I did, thanks for asking.

 

Do you not remember the Joe Hamill Era? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Do you not remember the Joe Hamill Era? :lol:

 

 

How could i forget :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inch Hearts

Singing Naismith will be all that Craig will be thinking of.  The rest doesn't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

 

Sean Clare looked a bit Cameron-like and almost Hartley-esque on Tuesday. He’s getting there 👍🏻

 

:lol: top trolling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Its strange how football works out eh 

 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

 

 

 

 

I didn’t. Never sack a manger after one result. Progress is obvious to all except the blind hatred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inch Hearts
14 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I didn’t. Never sack a manger after one result. Progress is obvious to all except the blind hatred. 

 

But you would back a manager over a couple of results?

 

There's no blind hatred, why continue that myth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Olly Lee's left boot
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Oh, okay then.

 

It is

 

Even now 

 

Lc group v lc semi

Sc qf v sc semi

6th v 5th

 

Clear progress made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iwasthere1954
3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

 

English was never my forte! Meant to say both Morrison and Mulraney are quick, but neither technically at the level to push us on yet - not to say they won’t get there. But if we want tangible improvement, it’ll need to be from external recruitment. 

Unfortunately if they had pace and skill they would be playing in the EPL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff the Mince
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

 

Signed the likes of Hartley, Valois and Perreira and promoted the likes of Joe Hamill during his first spell at Hearts.

 

Signed Sandaza and O’Brien while at Utd and promoted Conway.

 

 

 

 

Joe Hamill :berra:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graygo
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Its strange how football works out eh 

 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

 

 

I would wager a large sum on the fact that he has been planning for next season for a lot longer than a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jocam2325
3 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Sorry but are you saying mulraney has no pace?

The pace is fine, its the ability he lacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

 

It is

 

Even now 

 

Lc group v lc semi

Sc qf v sc semi

6th v 5th

 

Clear progress made. 

 

Apologies for debating, but I disagree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin
43 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Singing Naismith will be all that Craig will be thinking of.  The rest doesn't matter. 


I too dream of being serenaded by Steven Naismith's sultry tones. :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Buck
5 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Sounds like a man clinging on to his job if you ask me

 

You sound like a man talking shite if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

 

Yes Frank I did, thanks for asking.

 

Must have sat with your eyes shut then if you didn’t appreciate the creativity and flair JLV brought to the team 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Apologies for debating, but I disagree

 

So despite every measurable statistic indicating progress, you still disagree. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

 

Must have sat with your eyes shut then if you didn’t appreciate the creativity and flair JLV brought to the team 👍🏻

 

 

He was a decent player but hit or miss in games, I guess that's 'flair' for you, 1 good game in 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Do you not remember the Joe Hamill Era? :lol:

:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
Just now, To Be Frank said:

 

So despite every measurable statistic indicating progress, you still disagree. 🤔

 

Cup draws are random, so not particularly an accurate measurement. For example, we lost away to Motherwell at the Quarter Final stage last season - we were rubbish that day but at least they are a decent side - but this season we faced the bottom team in the 2nd tier.

 

Our league position is one better than last season but does not mean to say we are doing as well as well as we should be. I suppose we have progressed from "very poor" to "underperforming" but i don't have the bunting out quite yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inch Hearts
29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:


I too dream of being serenaded by Steven Naismith's sultry tones. :wub:

 

 

:lol: whoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colinmaroon
5 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Sounds like a man clinging on to his job if you ask me

 

 

Looks like a moanin' faced git to me!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colinmaroon
19 minutes ago, cheetah said:

 

 

He was a decent player but hit or miss in games, I guess that's 'flair' for you, 1 good game in 5.

 

 

You'd have hated Rab Prentice!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OmiyaHearts
3 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Its strange how football works out eh 

 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

 

 

 

 

Lose the semi to ICT and he will prob be on his way out. The easy draw has almost put more pressure on him, as getting to the final is now the minimum expected.

 

It could all change again this time next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DH1986

We need a GK, a centre half, a couple of wingers, a couple of midfielders and a couple of strikers.

 

We need to lose Doyle, Hughes, Shaugnessy, Mitchell, McLean, Martin and Edwards from the wage bill, along with a few others and get some real quality in positions that can hurt teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

 

But you would back a manager over a couple of results?

 

There's no blind hatred, why continue that myth?

Course there is from some on here. He can do nothing right in some peoples opinion. Gets the blame for everything. 

I only back managers over a seasons worth of results or longer and even then it’s about the progress being made. In Leveins case he is also DoF so there’s other things on his plate (rightly or wrongly) so it makes evaluating his performance even tougher. Even if first team results/ lack of progress indicated we should change first team coach/manager the work he has done and is doing behind the scenes eg academy etc is something I would not want us to lose. I hope/expect he will revert to only DoF in 15 months time and promote/bring in a suitable replacement. But not if we have won a couple of cups, top 3 in league and in Europe in next 15 months. 

As always it’s a bit of a bagatelle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, DH1986 said:

We need a GK, a centre half, a couple of wingers, a couple of midfielders and a couple of strikers.

 

We need to lose Doyle, Hughes, Shaugnessy, Mitchell, McLean, Martin and Edwards from the wage bill, along with a few others and get some real quality in positions that can hurt teams.

Martin already gone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Martin already gone 

Has he? Missed that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DH1986
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Martin already gone 

 

When ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We need a GK, a centre half, a couple of wingers, a couple of midfielders and a couple of strikers.

 

We need to lose Doyle, Hughes, Shaugnessy, Mitchell, McLean, Martin and Edwards from the wage bill, along with a few others and get some real quality in positions that can hurt teams.

Shaughnessy and Mitchell never on wage bill but gone anyway at season end. Hughes will retire. McLean has a year left I think. Not sure re Doyle’s contract. Edwards will be away. So it’s pretty much done for you except McLean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cheetah
16 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

 

 

You'd have hated Rab Prentice!

 

 

 

Didn't hate anybody then, i was young and full of optimism :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear

Who around the SPL do we consider to be "flair-y", and where would they fit into our side/style of play?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Both are never far away from an injury spell out the team.

Great if both stay but would still need quality cover to avoid a potentially great season being ruined as happened this year.

 

I think we need to punt a couple of our midfielders we signed in the summer anyway as they aren’t good enough. I’d like to see us bring in a player similar to Djoum, powerful but quicker and can play a bit. 

 

Reckon if we find 2 really good wingers then we won’t be so reliant on Naisy to score and create. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wallace_mercer

I hope it includes two quality wingers 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DH1986
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Shaughnessy and Mitchell never on wage bill but gone anyway at season end. Hughes will retire. McLean has a year left I think. Not sure re Doyle’s contract. Edwards will be away. So it’s pretty much done for you except McLean. 

 

We’ll have been paying something towards those guys being here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
Just now, DH1986 said:

 

We’ll have been paying something towards those guys being here.

 

Initial loan fee.  Not a lot of money. Moves are more for players development than anything else. Our biggest expenses are their living costs eg accommodation, transport etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naisysback

A year ago CL said McDonald was the one that excited him, that got him off his seat as you didn't know what he was going to do, this year he has been peripheral and now on loan at Inverness. Cochrane was in the hardest position on the pitch and he handled himself really well but again been on the peripheral.

 

The argument may be that they are where they should be and last season was a necessity. To handle the rigours of the top flight they need to be physically strong but the best way to do that is to play them. Next season is huge for both of them as they need to be playing every week, if they aren't then there is a real chance they will leave in search of football. I don't know but to go from playing in front of 20k at Tynie to playing in front of 100 at Riccarton will be really hard and the expectation on them when they step down is huge...they are expected to be amazing every time they get the ball, doesn't work like that.

 

If the spine of the team is good then why not bring in these boys and play them, stick with them and see where it takes you, there is no doubting their ability but 20mins here and there is not going to develop them into the players we allow ant them to be. Time to let the Academy players step up and show some faith in them. Andy Irving had a great loan spell and has been superb for reserves but still not getting near the 1st team and he has the ability to unlock defences. Keena a goalscorer and a real pest to defences, had a great loan spell but again only getting bit parts...time for a bit of faith from the ,management and fans for all the young players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gowestjambo

Our Pedestrian style of play is mainly down to not having a Playmaker and a Ball Carrier. This has been an area which has been neglected for far too long, and needs to be rectified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mort
Just now, Naisysback said:

A year ago CL said McDonald was the one that excited him, that got him off his seat as you didn't know what he was going to do, this year he has been peripheral and now on loan at Inverness. Cochrane was in the hardest position on the pitch and he handled himself really well but again been on the peripheral.

 

The argument may be that they are where they should be and last season was a necessity. To handle the rigours of the top flight they need to be physically strong but the best way to do that is to play them. Next season is huge for both of them as they need to be playing every week, if they aren't then there is a real chance they will leave in search of football. I don't know but to go from playing in front of 20k at Tynie to playing in front of 100 at Riccarton will be really hard and the expectation on them when they step down is huge...they are expected to be amazing every time they get the ball, doesn't work like that.

 

If the spine of the team is good then why not bring in these boys and play them, stick with them and see where it takes you, there is no doubting their ability but 20mins here and there is not going to develop them into the players we allow ant them to be. Time to let the Academy players step up and show some faith in them. Andy Irving had a great loan spell and has been superb for reserves but still not getting near the 1st team and he has the ability to unlock defences. Keena a goalscorer and a real pest to defences, had a great loan spell but again only getting bit parts...time for a bit of faith from the ,management and fans for all the young players.

Some fair points in there but Cochrane and McDonald are both still only 17. We shouldn't have to rely on these guys every week and it would be better for them to be on loan playing every week. When they return from a season loan they will be better players for it and more ready to play every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Has he? Missed that. 

Sorry my mistake , he's still got another year on pay roll 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Cup draws are random, so not particularly an accurate measurement. For example, we lost away to Motherwell at the Quarter Final stage last season - we were rubbish that day but at least they are a decent side - but this season we faced the bottom team in the 2nd tier.

 

Our league position is one better than last season but does not mean to say we are doing as well as well as we should be. I suppose we have progressed from "very poor" to "underperforming" but i don't have the bunting out quite yet.

 

So you agree we’ve progressed. Good stuff. For a moment there I thought you were just being obtuse. 👍🏻

Edited by To Be Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naisysback
Just now, Mort said:

Some fair points in there but Cochrane and McDonald are both still only 17. We shouldn't have to rely on these guys every week and it would be better for them to be on loan playing every week. When they return from a season loan they will be better players for it and more ready to play every week.

I think a loan is better than playing reserves but they also need to go somewhere where the football is right and that they will play every week. Young McDonald will do well at Inverness under Robbo and maybe a good shout for Harry would be Thistle\Dundee Utd or something of that standard where they try to play, don't want them going to a league where they will get battered every week, that doesn't help anyone.

 

I think both of them are every bit as good as what is currently there and better than a lot of it to be honest. I look at some of the young players in England\Germany who are being put in and keeping their places because they are good enough and someone has the faith in them, Leeds Utd\Norwich\Dortmund just a few off the top of my head...old saying if you are good enough you are old enough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
5 hours ago, kila said:

 

Cochrane off the naughty step yet?

Is that in relation to not being allowed out on loan? I heard that but got pelters off some on here when i alluded to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Naisysback
5 minutes ago, Mort said:

Some fair points in there but Cochrane and McDonald are both still only 17. We shouldn't have to rely on these guys every week and it would be better for them to be on loan playing every week. When they return from a season loan they will be better players for it and more ready to play every week.

Wonder if CL will let McDonald play in the semi final......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To Be Frank
59 minutes ago, cheetah said:

 

 

He was a decent player but hit or miss in games, I guess that's 'flair' for you, 1 good game in 5.

 

So you’re now admitting he was a flair player but wasn’t consistent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamboAl
6 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Our Pedestrian style of play is mainly down to not having a Playmaker and a Ball Carrier. This has been an area which has been neglected for far too long, and needs to be rectified.

I'd guess CL knows that but such a player's availability and cost may have prevented him from delivering on this.

Do you have someone in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

 

Where’s the ‘attacking, creative central midfielder’ going to play with Djoum, Haring, naismith and Clare on the park?

Central is not where our issues are. But leave them to foam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
5 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Sorry but are you saying mulraney has no pace?

Mulraney might no be the most skillful but he’s improving. Pace however is not in doubt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×