Levein’s plans for next season

Alex Kintner

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's noticeable that he's signed up all the big defensive players on contracts, although Souttar is an important player to have under contract.  I don't think CL will be manager next season so hopefully the pace, width and creativity problems ,that have been overlooked for seasons now, will be solved by the new gaffer.

Edited by Rudolf

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• kimosavi

• sadj

• Enzo Chiefo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haveyouheard 22
1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Why the random 11-30 games though?

What would it prove?

We're miles ahead of where we were last year at this moment in time and that's all we've got to go on.

Don't understand why so called Hearts fans (not a dig at you btw) can't just enjoy being in a semi-final and in with a chance of a league position that would give us a European spot.

Historically, that's a good season for us but because we've got about 20 on here than hate Levein, it's all doom and gloom.

Weird.

Dont be posting a bang on thread it goes against the grain 

Inch Hearts
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The current manager hasn't to plan for next season on the chance he may get sacked? :lol:

He certainly does when he's also the DoF. 

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, haveyouheard 22 said:

I think the currant buns are progressing but the seethe from the fanatical loyal was all to see when the sheep smashed them the other night

Some times it does take time, we have it all  right now just might take  a little more time than some anticipated

CL knows if he loses the semi he will toil but if wins will have the whole support behind him

Fans are fickle and that wont change 

Not a chance. Some posters have already stated they want him gone even if we win the cup and finish 3rd! ?

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's noticeable that he's signed up all the big defensive players on contracts, although Souttar is an important player to have under contract.  I don't think CL will be manager next season so hopefully the pace, width and creativity problems ,that have been overlooked for seasons now, will be solved by the new gaffer.

You’re in for a huge disappointment then because it’s lookokg 99.9% likely he will be ???

Edited by To Be Frank

7 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

The board are patient and the vast majority of the supporters are realisticly patient.

As predicted, a club with a solid foundation and not one with a throw away mentality is the only route to a sustainable future and hopefully success. 

Mr Levein is delivering.

I personally don’t see him delivering anything .... 

14 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Don't think he's played too much since then ?

Yeh little cameo roles.

maybe not showing enough in training?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Why the random 11-30 games though?

What would it prove?

We're miles ahead of where we were last year at this moment in time and that's all we've got to go on.

Don't understand why so called Hearts fans (not a dig at you btw) can't just enjoy being in a semi-final and in with a chance of a league position that would give us a European spot.

Historically, that's a good season for us but because we've got about 20 on here than hate Levein, it's all doom and gloom.

Weird.

Not at all.

Last season we had a very difficult start due to the uncertainty, this season we had a dream start due to the preparation.

The preparation in itself is clearly an improvement.

But if you compare games 11-30, the guts of the season, I think you will get a  more realistic barometer, especially taking into account freakish circumstances in July and August of 2017.

If you want to do analysis, you have to apply context.

Would be weird not to.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Would she be allowed to give him a contract longer than she will be in charge of the club?

Yes. Berra and Souttar are contracted past the intended handover.

Inch Hearts
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Yes. Berra and Souttar are contracted past the intended handover.

Fair enough, so there's nothing in theory for her to hand him a 20 year contract a week before she hands over the club?

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Agree if i was a coach i would be trying to coach Morrison to run across his man with his speed. That way you're getting a foul when you're running at speed. You are giving a defender a choice to make. Pull me down or let me go 

It would also help our wide players immensely if we passed the ball behind the oppositions full backs for them to attck rather than receiving the ball with their backs to the defenders. That makes it much more difficult for them to take the ball then turn from basically a standing position to then take on their man. This gives the initiative to the defender which in my opinion is why Morrison in particular finds it difficult to beat a player on the outside and resorts to either running infield or passing sideways or backwards.

11 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Fair enough, so there's nothing in theory for her to hand him a 20 year contract a week before she hands over the club?

I think you should have a look at the structure of the Hearts board.

24 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not at all.

Last season we had a very difficult start due to the uncertainty, this season we had a dream start due to the preparation.

The preparation in itself is clearly an improvement.

But if you compare games 11-30, the guts of the season, I think you will get a  more realistic barometer, especially taking into account freakish circumstances in July and August of 2017.

If you want to do analysis, you have to apply context.

Would be weird not to.

If we're going to compare games 11-30, we should bear in mind that we had 5 of our best players out injured at the same time for a lot of those games.

Edited by Ray Gin

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think you should have a look at the structure of the Hearts board.

What's that got to do with the next Hearts board when the changeover happens?

16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

What's that got to do with the next Hearts board when the changeover happens?

If you don't know you're not much of a Hearts supporter.

Things are moving along nicely as far as I am concerned.  Defensively, assuming Halkett joins and Hughes departs, Levein has the defence signed up until June 2020 at earliest:

Doyle 06/2020

Zlamal 06/2021

Baur 06/2020

Berra 06/2021

Dikamona 06/2020

Garruchio 06/2021

Godinho 06/2020

Hamilton 06/2020

Smith 06/2021

Souttar 06/2022

White 06/2021

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If we're going to compare games 11-30, we should bear in mind that we had 5 of our best players out injured at the same time for a lot of those games.

Yeah but last year we had pish. Could even out. However Ray. Not a remarkable upturn in form for those coming back. 

We may have to accept the start of the season was a touch freakish. 

I'm not a Leveins Satan type. Just devils advocate 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Ann Budge should give Craig a 10 year contract to put the squabbling  to bed. 10 year plan. Let’s go.

He doesn’t need a 10 year contract as it looks that he’s got a job as long as he wants to stay.

Mr Elwood P
55 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Depends on the decision making mechanism of the company. Shareholders or directors are often involved in certain major decisions. Unlikely someone in his mid 50’s having just survived a heart attack would be offered a 20 year contact though.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ah, Mystic Meg is back.

It's called stability, then you build from that.

You must've hated our start to the season and I fear for your sanity if we make the cup final.

The Future's Maroon
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He doesn’t need a 10 year contract as it looks that he’s got a job as long as he wants to stay.

Rubbish, and he even came out himself to stop those rumours, sure Budge did also.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Rubbish, and he even came out himself to stop those rumours, sure Budge did also.

If you believe that fair enough.

54 minutes ago, Mort said:

People seriously think that Levein wont be in charge next year? haha. 

Nobody kens, mate. Probably will be but if someone told me ginger baws would throw a wobbly and then walk into the hooped demons job, I would have laughed !

Get through a, potentially, tricky Semi and he is sure to carry on. Let’s wait and see !

Roxy Hearts

Some of the stuff on here by the keyboard football managers is very cringeworthy. Levein is a good manager beset by a lot of bad luck this year. I think he's a little jaded by some of the stuff but we have been in 1 semi final and now in another with a good placing in the league. 

We could all see what he was trying to do at the beginning of the season until the disruption and bad calls.

He's a Hearts man and it must hurt him more when some of the things have been outwith his control so have a little sympathy. He's also had a heart attack managing the club and came back for more! 

HMFC!

Our team, his team, our club, his club. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

If he runs across him with the hesitant style he has just now he will just lose the ball. As I just said tell him to stay wide run at the byline and throw the ball in the mixer if the defender blocks it good chance of a corner or throw in. If he is tackled likewise or the defender is trying to build an attack from the corner flag not 5yards in front of the penalty box.

Any player should be coached to run across a defender, ita no rocket science Naismith does it time after time and a  laddie off Morrison's speed shouldn't be hesitant to open his legs up and stop cutting back on himself give the defender a decision to make run across him 9/10 times you'll get fouled 

In over 60 years of watching Hearts I think the club is in the best place it's ever been and I am proud to pay into the Foundation of Hearts every month to ensure that it remains so for future generations. This season started well and through a combination of factors mostly outwith Craig's control has fell away somewhat. But for all that we have a good chance of Scottish Cup glory and can shed some of the deadwood close season and hopefully bring in quality instead of quantity. Some fans seem to be at the end of their tether just now and for us old timers it is genuinely baffling as things are constantly on the up with only the occasional blip along the way. HHGH

3 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Al I'm only saying it shows how fickle football can be that on Tuesday if Partick had beaten us Levein could well have been sacked. Fast forward 3 days and he's targeting players no digs for once from me just a thought i had 

What makes you think he would have been sacked ?

We are not a club that indulges in knee jerk reactions and Mrs Budge is not that kind of owner.

If and when CL leaves the club it will likely be a joint decision imo.

Any fickleness is on the part of the fans not the board of Hearts.

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

What makes you think he would have been sacked ?

We are not a club that indulges in knee jerk reactions and Mrs Budge is not that kind of owner.

If and when CL leaves the club it will likely be a joint decision imo.

Any fickleness is on the part of the fans not the board of Hearts.

Board can be as unfickle as they want dug, its the fans that count at Hearts, and if the fans had turned like they did against Cathro then Levein was in trouble 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Enjoying the debate  :)

Curious. I'm indifferent at the moment 

Lol indeed fair wobbling on that fence both ways 

Roxy Hearts
20 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

In over 60 years of watching Hearts I think the club is in the best place it's ever been and I am proud to pay into the Foundation of Hearts every month to ensure that it remains so for future generations. This season started well and through a combination of factors mostly outwith Craig's control has fell away somewhat. But for all that we have a good chance of Scottish Cup glory and can shed some of the deadwood close season and hopefully bring in quality instead of quantity. Some fans seem to be at the end of their tether just now and for us old timers it is genuinely baffling as things are constantly on the up with only the occasional blip along the way. HHGH

I watched us in the 60's/70's home and away. Absolutely brutal most of the time. Them younger fellers have no idea! 

15 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Board can be as unfickle as they want dug, its the fans that count at Hearts, and if the fans had turned like they did against Cathro then Levein was in trouble 

It would be madness to sack a manager at this stage of the season Scottish Cup or not.

What would we gain from such an action ?

Pacify a loud minority ?

Create instability certainly.

The Veruca Salts are getting more hilarious by the day tbh.

Long may it continue if it's keeps the cup run going.

13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It would be madness to sack a manager at this stage of the season Scottish Cup or not.

Pacify a loud minority ?

I agree dug it would be mad to get rid now

But get beat off Inverness and form dips into the remainder of games then you'll have a good few fans wanting another man in and if they don't will vote with their feet its the nature of the game

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Some of the stuff on here by the keyboard football managers is very cringeworthy. Levein is a good manager beset by a lot of bad luck this year. I think he's a little jaded by some of the stuff but we have been in 1 semi final and now in another with a good placing in the league. 

We could all see what he was trying to do at the beginning of the season until the disruption and bad calls.

He's a Hearts man and it must hurt him more when some of the things have been outwith his control so have a little sympathy. He's also had a heart attack managing the club and came back for more! 

HMFC!

Our team, his team, our club, his club. 

Well said. ?

Arthur Morgan

We need more than 2 or 3 imo. We need a creative central midfielder, a goalscoring central midfielder ala Hartley/Cameron (although Clare may be the answer now) and 2 quality wingers who can cross. Maybe a fast poacher type goalscorer too, obviously Halkett as well. Get rid of Doyle, bring in a quality keeper and keep Bobby as a sub. 7 signings isn't that much.

I wasn't convinced Levein would be in charge next season but having read that I now believe he will be. Am i happy with that?......Bloody right I am. For any club outwith the ugly sisters to compete at the top end in the SPL need stability and continuity, Sacking managers every bad season and starting again only wastes money and money is scarce outwith the uglies. We have a Hearts man in charge of our team and a Hearts women running the show, Anyone who doesn't think that is a good thing are mad. Id bet you every fan of every other Scottish league team Celtic apart would love to be in our position....A Hearts fan looking after the club and Hearts fan running the football. That doesn't mean they wont make mistakes but it does mean that we know every single decision is made with our clubs best interest at heart. The same certainly couldn't be said for a new club from the West coast. 

Things aren't perfect but they are getting better and they are being built not for this season or next but for the long standing and hopefully successful future of our club. Knowing that your manager isn't going to walk out and leave a project half done when a club coming waving cash at him can only be good for us. 

We have improved on and off the field, the football certainly isn't the best to watch at present but we are improving. A well known manager at Man U took time to be successful! CL & AB are doing everything they can to make us successful and we should be doing everything we can to help, Getting on CL or AB's case every bad result etc is not helping. Back them for god sake through thick and thin. They stepped up to help us when we were on our knees its time for the haters to start stepping up and helping our manager when he is struggling because we 100% know that we all want the same and that is very rarely the case in Scottish Football. Be careful what you wish for. Believe me our club and the stability we have IS the envy of nearly every club in Scotland whether they would admit to that or not.

Lets back the lads for the final push and get ready for another crack next season>

If anyone doesn’t think that we have the spine of a decent team they are daft.

If anyone doesn’t think we don’t need a more creativity/flair to add to that spine they are daft.

Levein thinks exactly as the above. Decent core, flair needed. 

Not it much controversial about that

Edited by Jammy T

TyphoonJambo
13 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

I wasn't convinced Levein would be in charge next season but having read that I now believe he will be. Am i happy with that?......Bloody right I am. For any club outwith the ugly sisters to compete at the top end in the SPL need stability and continuity, Sacking managers every bad season and starting again only wastes money and money is scarce outwith the uglies. We have a Hearts man in charge of our team and a Hearts women running the show, Anyone who doesn't think that is a good thing are mad. Id bet you every fan of every other Scottish league team Celtic apart would love to be in our position....A Hearts fan looking after the club and Hearts fan running the football. That doesn't mean they wont make mistakes but it does mean that we know every single decision is made with our clubs best interest at heart. The same certainly couldn't be said for a new club from the West coast. 

Things aren't perfect but they are getting better and they are being built not for this season or next but for the long standing and hopefully successful future of our club. Knowing that your manager isn't going to walk out and leave a project half done when a club coming waving cash at him can only be good for us. 

We have improved on and off the field, the football certainly isn't the best to watch at present but we are improving. A well known manager at Man U took time to be successful! CL & AB are doing everything they can to make us successful and we should be doing everything we can to help, Getting on CL or AB's case every bad result etc is not helping. Back them for god sake through thick and thin. They stepped up to help us when we were on our knees its time for the haters to start stepping up and helping our manager when he is struggling because we 100% know that we all want the same and that is very rarely the case in Scottish Football. Be careful what you wish for. Believe me our club and the stability we have IS the envy of nearly every club in Scotland whether they would admit to that or not.

Lets back the lads for the final push and get ready for another crack next season>

Post of the year. 

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

:greatpost:

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Pacify a loud minority ?

Pacify being the key word ??

51JAtVuQxqL._SX355_.jpg

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

I agree dug it would be mad to get rid now

But get beat off Inverness and form dips into the remainder of games then you'll have a good few fans wanting another man in and if they don't will vote with their feet its the nature of the game

Such is the negativity you promote, I wonder if you are trying to engineer a situation where the fans will vote with their feet.  The fact is that the fans will own the club soon and to want/create a mass upheaval now will work against the FoH ownership.  I don't believe fans are as stupid as you think they might be.  

Calebs Grandad
12 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/craig-levein-looking-add-flair-15972577

Says now that he has the “pillars” of the team in place he will only need to focus on adding two or three players in the summer and these will be flair players. 

Sounds very positive and we have something special being built, similar to his first spell in charge ??

HHGH :av-1001: FTH

He had us top of the league at the beginning of the season then that injury crisis ripped his first choice team apart. I look forward to seeing the players he recruits as I strongly believe Levein is the guy that will take us forward ??

2 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

100%.

31 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

Top post. Could not have put it better myself. 

34 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

Correct.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Nothing stopping her from handing out 300 year contracts, dressing up as a lumberjack, downing a bottle of white lightning and burning Tynecastle down either, then ripping of her face to reveal she is actually a pirate from Davey Jones locker here to enslave all land creatures. 

But it ain't happening. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Manager builds from the back, ensures a steady defence shocker. 

Most managers build from that way, if not all. 

I did think CL would leave no matter what, but I think, based on that he's here to stay so get your yourself strapped in. ?

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Things are moving along nicely as far as I am concerned.  Defensively, assuming Halkett joins and Hughes departs, Levein has the defence signed up until June 2020 at earliest:

Doyle 06/2020

Zlamal 06/2021

Baur 06/2020

Berra 06/2021

Dikamona 06/2020

Garruchio 06/2021

Godinho 06/2020

Hamilton 06/2020

Smith 06/2021

Souttar 06/2022

White 06/2021

No one is knocking him defensively that’s what the problem is I am afraid 

we need pace width creativity and a decent striker get that sorted and we have  a team 

1 hour ago, Mdoug79 said:

Well put.

But there are lessons to be learnt. We need to be an attacking force and stop wasting money on players we don’t need - Hughes, Edwards, Sammon and Martin to name a few.

Overall agreeing with you.