Levein’s plans for next season

Alex Kintner

13 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

So you’re now admitting he was a flair player but wasn’t consistent?

Oh Frank, let it be. 

You say flair I say 'flair'  so no i don't admit to anything :lol: 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• kimosavi

• sadj

• Enzo Chiefo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Its strange how football works out eh 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

Days later? Or months ago ?

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It is

Even now 

Lc group v lc semi

Sc qf v sc semi

6th v 5th

Clear progress made. 

Forgetting the cups which is a bit more random, the real measure is the league and you'd have to be blind to say there's not been progress.

Last season we finished 21 points behind 3rd place

At the moment we're 4 points behind

We finished 18 points behind 4th place

At the moment we're 3 behind

We finished 10 points behind 5th place

we're currently 5 points ahead of the team in 6th place

We've accumulated 2 points less than last season with 27 still to play for and we're still in with a chance of 3rd.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Said this the other day we are at a "C" just now. Personally I think this season should have been better regardless of injuries.

What started as something refreshing and brand new has somehow morphed into last season.

25 points from the first 10 22 from the last 19.

Yes we have had injuries, but from a team that was getting the ball wide and moving it quickly early in the season, that has drained, into what we see now, a side that is just as pedestrian as the one last year.

Cup draws have definitely been kinder, of course last seasons Betfred we wont ever know how kind it could have been for Cathro.

For me there is very little to defend or attack in overall performance, its pretty bland in my opinion. Having said that, another form spurt and it could end up looking a lot better, couple of bad performances though.......

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I wouldn't be massively disappointed with signing 3 high profile players in the summer - winger, striker and a midfielder.

I'd like a goalie but feel that Bobby will be fine for another season.

Bobby

Smith

Souttar

Berra

White/Garuccio

Haring

New midfielder

Clare

New winger

Naismith

Uche/new striker

Choice of Zlamal for a season then Gordon or new keeper next season and not get Gordon makes it a very difficult choice i think

grumpyespana
7 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/craig-levein-looking-add-flair-15972577

Says now that he has the “pillars” of the team in place he will only need to focus on adding two or three players in the summer and these will be flair players. 

Sounds very positive and we have something special being built, similar to his first spell in charge ??

HHGH :av-1001: FTH

Funny I said that to him when I had a chat with him in Spain lo that we had a spine to the team and only needed two or three better quality players next season.

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

You'd have hated Rab Prentice!

?? run from The Zoo to the penalty box at the School end without a finger getting laid on him then hit the Gorgie End with his shot. Great to watch though

4 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Its strange how football works out eh 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

I may be mistaken but we have known for some time (well before the Partick tie) he has had an interest in Halkett and reportedly that is just about over the line.

Only last week, we signed Aidy White who is unlikely to play much this season.

That doesn't seem to me to be "only days later".

gowestjambo
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'd guess CL knows that but such a player's availability and cost may have prevented him from delivering on this.

Do you have someone in mind?

No I dont have anyone in mind. However, that does not mean our Manager and Scouts cannot identify the type of players we need.

Our Midfield has suffered long enough from the lack of creativity.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, gowestjambo said:

No I dont have anyone in mind. However, that does not mean our Manager and Scouts cannot identify the type of players we need.

I agree. We have some strong midfielders but I haven't seen a Bruno Aguiar in a Hearts shirt for a while.

Rudi offered loads of goals even in his second stint. Djoum, Haring and Cochrane are all very strong, but I would love to see someone like Bruno or Rudi. Stone bonking obvious I would have thought?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Yip, suffered that much we've improved in all competitions v last year. 

When will this horrible suffering stop.?

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Forgetting the cups which is a bit more random, the real measure is the league and you'd have to be blind to say there's not been progress.

We've accumulated 2 points less than last season with 27 still to play for and we're still in with a chance of 3rd.

Great stuff and great info. 

I don't have the patience for that, but it clearly shows progress. 

Great work. 

The debate of whether enough progress has been made and who can take us forward should surely be a secondary concern for any sane person as we reach this critical and exciting stage of the season. 

It's not the time for hissy fits, pant wetting and general slavers. 

12 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Nor does it mean they haven't been trying.  Players of that quality are seldom readily available and when they are, they may not be within our budget.  Is that too difficult to understand?

PS - As said earlier C Adam was supposed to be 70% certain.  If true, would that be ample evidence?

45 minutes ago, sadj said:

Mulraney might no be the most skillful but he’s improving. Pace however is not in doubt

He’s definitely improving, at least a good amount of his crosses beat the first man cause problems for the defence. Has pace to burn. Morrison on the other hand rarely delivers anything whether that’s a cross or beating/getting past a man to set up a chance. I really can’t see it happening for him and feel he rates himself way better than he is, hope I’m wrong.

33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I may be mistaken but we have known for some time (well before the Partick tie) he has had an interest in Halkett and reportedly that is just about over the line.

Only last week, we signed Aidy White who is unlikely to play much this season.

That doesn't seem to me to be "only days later".

Al I'm only saying it shows how fickle football can be that on Tuesday if Partick had beaten us Levein could well have been sacked. Fast forward 3 days and he's targeting players no digs for once from me just a thought i had 

2 hours ago, graygo said:

I would wager a large sum on the fact that he has been planning for next season for a lot longer than a few days.

So would i Graygo 

I'm just trying to highlight how fickle football can be sometimes 

Levein could very well have been sacked if Patrick had put us out 

1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Al I'm only saying it shows how fickle football can be that on Tuesday if Partick had beaten us Levein could well have been sacked. Fast forward 3 days and he's targeting players no digs for once from me just a thought i had 

I fail to see the connection or your point.

5 minutes ago, on&up2017 said:

He’s definitely improving, at least a good amount of his crosses beat the first man cause problems for the defence. Has pace to burn. Morrison on the other hand rarely delivers anything whether that’s a cross or beating/getting past a man to set up a chance. I really can’t see it happening for him and feel he rates himself way better than he is, hope I’m wrong.

Agree if i was a coach i would be trying to coach Morrison to run across his man with his speed. That way you're getting a foul when you're running at speed. You are giving a defender a choice to make. Pull me down or let me go 

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

So we have him next season too then

:fonzie:

:sob:

:sobored:

Looks like it eh ?

I'll be taking a pillow next year that's for sure 

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

So despite every measurable statistic indicating progress, you still disagree. ?

That's when it's time to give up mate.

Inch Hearts
10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Ann Budge should give Craig a 10 year contract to put the squabbling  to bed. 10 year plan. Let’s go.

Would she be allowed to give him a contract longer than she will be in charge of the club?

gowestjambo
11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Nor does it mean they haven't been trying.  Players of that quality are seldom readily available and when they are, they may not be within our budget.  Is that too difficult to understand?

PS - As said earlier C Adam was supposed to be 70% certain.  If true, would that be ample evidence?

We dont know what priority Hearts have placed on Midfield Creativity. Certainly not much going by the lack of Quality over the last few seasons. It is the most important part of the team, and an area that needs to be improved. What is too difficult to understand about that?

Certainly Adam would have given us better quality.

gowestjambo
38 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree. We have some strong midfielders but I haven't seen a Bruno Aguiar in a Hearts shirt for a while.

Rudi offered loads of goals even in his second stint. Djoum, Haring and Cochrane are all very strong, but I would love to see someone like Bruno or Rudi. Stone bonking obvious I would have thought?

Not to some on JKB it would appear........

29 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

So would i Graygo 

I'm just trying to highlight how fickle football can be sometimes 

Levein could very well have been sacked if Patrick had put us out 

Very true.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, cheetah said:

Are we getting a flair goalie too? Because they are always brilliant. 

Bobby is a bit of a show off for the camera type keeper 

33 minutes ago, on&up2017 said:

Not sure about Morrison was just listening to the terrace and Joel Sked was talking about although he is an inconsistent teenage winger since Taylor owned him against Killie at Tynecastle his confidence seems non existent which I think is a very good shout. If you watch him now instead of driving and throwing the ball in the box he stops. If the guys aren’t getting in the box that is their problem and they need to get the finger out. He has the pace to burn and at the start of the season he hugged the touchline. Maybe needs to reset and do that just not bother if there is bodies in the box and drive. If he does whats the worst that will happen he will get tackled and there is a throw in. Just now he pussys about with it and loses it a lot. Mulraney has progressed I think this season still raw but as you said he drives and crosses. Morrison has gone back even allowing for his inconsistency with his age. Hopefully it works out but im more confident of Mulraney getting a ball in than Morrison in games.

buzzbomb1958
33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

So we have him next season too then

:fonzie:

:sob:

:sobored:

Same old same old , another season of eye bleeding football couldn't sign a flair player if one booted him up the arse, soul destroying

31 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Agree if i was a coach i would be trying to coach Morrison to run across his man with his speed. That way you're getting a foul when you're running at speed. You are giving a defender a choice to make. Pull me down or let me go 

If he runs across him with the hesitant style he has just now he will just lose the ball. As I just said tell him to stay wide run at the byline and throw the ball in the mixer if the defender blocks it good chance of a corner or throw in. If he is tackled likewise or the defender is trying to build an attack from the corner flag not 5yards in front of the penalty box.

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do you not remember the Joe Hamill Era? :lol:

2 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Joe Hamill :berra:

I remember thinking that  he was a right lazy B******. One occasion, breakaway with Hearts 2 on 1  against last defender. Hamill wide right jogging down the  wing  with the fans and Hartley (I think) screaming at him to make the run into space behind the defender .

Also saw him for Raith against  Ayr United a few years later and he was the best player on the park. 

21 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Not to some on JKB it would appear........

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Clare could very easily be this player depending on where he is played. Each game he looks like our best goal threat just now. Money wise we can’t get an Aguiar or a Rudi. 

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

Yeah but you can prove anything with facts...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Clare could very easily be this player depending on where he is played. Each game he looks like our best goal threat just now. Money wise we can’t get an Aguiar or a Rudi. 

We didn't spend a fee on either though. If Djoum or Naismith go I'd be looking for someone different to the current mix.

Clare is not a comparison to Rudi but his role would be more forwards less backwards. Liability in his own box to be honest. Keep him up the pitch at set pieces 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Yeah but you can prove anything with facts...

Out of interest if someone has time compare games 11 to 30 over the 2 years. 

haveyouheard 22

If Ifs and ans were pots and pans

Injuries all over the shop and still happening

Robbed against Hibs

Missed penalty against Livi

Unlucky in a few other games, we could well be up the league and  further

We got to a semi

Chance of a final

Lots more cash next yr

In CL i trust  Re of what pans out this season 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

We didn't spend a fee on either though. If Djoum or Naismith go I'd be looking for someone different to the current mix.

Clare is not a comparison to Rudi but his role would be more forwards less backwards. Liability in his own box to be honest. Keep him up the pitch at set pieces 

We didn't spend a fee but their wages would've been way more than we could afford now.

It's like Sevco fans wishing they had a Gazza or De Boer like the old Rangers had.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Out of interest if someone has time compare games 11 to 30 over the 2 years. 

Straw clutching Sir Gio?

4 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Mulraney showed some great skill on Tuesday as well as , obviously , pace . He also put in a few good crosses .

Morrison is a good player who , I think , will get better . His crossing earlier in the season was , yes inconsistent , but much better than made out on here .

Had a wild effort on Tuesday when he totally mishit , I think , a shot . Wee lack of confidence . Maybe  , with encouragement (!) , he'll get that back .

I hoped Morrison would kick on after he opened his scoring account 

just didn’t happen.

Edited by 1874robbo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Straw clutching Sir Gio?

Enjoying the debate  :)

Curious. I'm indifferent at the moment 

8 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Sounds like a man clinging on to his job if you ask me

Sounds like a man whose job is secure, and who's planning for the future, if you ask me. 

haveyouheard 22

I think the currant buns are progressing but the seethe from the fanatical loyal was all to see when the sheep smashed them the other night

Some times it does take time, we have it all  right now just might take  a little more time than some anticipated

CL knows if he loses the semi he will toil but if wins will have the whole support behind him

Fans are fickle and that wont change 

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Same old same old , another season of eye bleeding football couldn't sign a flair player if one booted him up the arse, soul destroying

It's noticeable that he's signed up all the big defensive players on contracts, although Souttar is an important player to have under contract.  I don't think CL will be manager next season so hopefully the pace, width and creativity problems ,that have been overlooked for seasons now, will be solved by the new gaffer.

9 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I hoped Morrison would kick on after he opened his scoring account 

just didn’t happen.

Don't think he's played too much since then ?

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Enjoying the debate  :)

Curious. I'm indifferent at the moment 

Why the random 11-30 games though?

What would it prove?

We're miles ahead of where we were last year at this moment in time and that's all we've got to go on.

Don't understand why so called Hearts fans (not a dig at you btw) can't just enjoy being in a semi-final and in with a chance of a league position that would give us a European spot.

Historically, that's a good season for us but because we've got about 20 on here than hate Levein, it's all doom and gloom.

Weird.

Edited by Rudolf