Levein’s plans for next season

Alex Kintner

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Probably better not to play him when he's injured though. 

Is he not in the Scotland u-19 squad?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• kimosavi

• sadj

• Enzo Chiefo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Sausage
7 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I’ve picked up your post wrong then, looks like you’ve worded it as they both have no pace.

English was never my forte! Meant to say both Morrison and Mulraney are quick, but neither technically at the level to push us on yet - not to say they won’t get there. But if we want tangible improvement, it’ll need to be from external recruitment. 

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We have pushed on tho. 

Lc group v semi

Sc qf v at least semi, I'm saying at least a final. 

League tbc, but atm 5th v 6th last year. 

If we can finish in 4th and at least make the final, "pushing us on" will be really difficult, looking at a lc final, sc winner and at least third. 

Think you may need to get it in your head that CL will be in charge next season and you(and others) need to decide what the best way of supporting that is? 

Argue on here, be negative and depressed and harp on about this - this season, pre season and all  next season 

Or

Look forward to an exciting end to this season and then look to progress, again next season. 

Pushing on from Cathro’s LC performance wasn’t difficult. 

Nice easy draw in the SC, but job done as expected. 

League has fallen short. Never mind the placings, we have dropped stupid points based because of defending narrow leads. We are I reckon about 10 points short of where we should be, perhaps more. 

And being positive on here is not supporting your team, by the way. I am rather positive at Tynie but I can see the bigger picture away from the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

English was never my forte! Meant to say both Morrison and Mulraney are quick, but neither technically at the level to push us on yet - not to say they won’t get there. But if we want tangible improvement, it’ll need to be from external recruitment. 

No probs, but to get players with that pace and skill level to match is going to cost money we just don’t have.

i just wish they could cross a ball!!

morrison more so!! His crossing is woeful.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Disagree. Naismith, Clare and Wighton are our number 10s. Agree about left winger though.

None of them are a colin Cameron , Paul Hartley type that go behond our strikers with late runs ! If Naismith does stay I'd be playing him up to more often next season

1 hour ago, Hood09 said:

Sounds like a man clinging on to his job if you ask me

Only a f4nny could pick that feeling from that article.

Captain Sausage
4 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

No probs, but to get players with that pace and skill level to match is going to cost money we just don’t have.

I know! It’s so frustrating as both lads have no issue going past the full back and making space. But almost without fail the **** up the cross. If they could cross the ball well, we’d be top of the league. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Where’s the ‘attacking, creative central midfielder’ going to play with Djoum, Haring, naismith and Clare on the park?

None of them a sort of colin Cameron, Paul Hartley type who go behond the striker which a think we missing but just my opinion 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

None of them are a colin Cameron , Paul Hartley type that go behond our strikers with late runs ! If Naismith does stay I'd be playing him up to more often next season

Sean Clare looked a bit Cameron-like and almost Hartley-esque on Tuesday. He’s getting there ??

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Think we'll have bit more money this summer than last because don't need to spend million quid on pitch aswell as couple semi finals and potentially cup final 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Sean Clare looked a bit Cameron-like and almost Hartley-esque on Tuesday. He’s getting there ??

A like Clare don't get me wrong a just think we lacking that goal scoring midfielder who goes behond the strikers 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Think we'll have bit more money this summer than last because don't need to spend million quid on pitch aswell as couple semi finals and potentially cup final 

Here’s hoping.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, 1874robbo said:

Here’s hoping.

Aswell as sammon finally be off wage bill and no doubt a few will be released so a think this summer be more quality over quantity 

Its strange how football works out eh 

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is he not in the Scotland u-19 squad?

yeah but hes not playing for the U19s, just shagging them

His name is

I was thinking about this recently, we do have a solid enough team, could a couple of quality creative / attack minded push us on? 

Everything is not rosy but the player budget is increasing, we are building a core of a team and the days of mass recruitment, upheaval and inconsistency may be subsiding. All of these should point to a more settled strengthened team. 

My real issue with Levein is showing too much respect to opposition and “seeing out” (or not) early one goal leads. He may believe he doesn’t currently have the strength of squad to overrun teams. It’s been pointed out we had no pace wide. Now pace but no consistency of cross. I would argue sometimes there is nothing to cross to. 

But against dross like Partick, we should have enough to cope    

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

None of them a sort of colin Cameron, Paul Hartley type who go behond the striker which a think we missing but just my opinion 

That’s exactly how Levein described Sean Clare, seems

to be getting closer and closer to the reality with each passing game. I’d actually say Sean Clare has started his Hearts career more positively than Hartley.

47 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Think you will find we have more than enough money to cover it if we reach cup final. 

Now that the euphoria over a scrappy home 2-1 win against a team struggling badly in the championship is over and yes we may get to the final, nothing has changed in our team play and tactics . Looking at the forthcoming fixtures , there's a distinct possibility that the Hobos could finish above us. Hearts are now playing the style of play that got CL the sack from the national team job. If the Hubz do finish above us he has to go. No debate needed.

Captain Sausage
33 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

If Levein had lost against Partick the fans would have turned on Levein as many suggested on here, even the staunch Levein backers thought his time would then be up 

Only Days later he is planning for next seasons recruitment and everything is rosy again 

Football is a fickle business ?

Cup games are strange ones, a win is a win and aw that. We are in the semi, but I would imagine there’d be outrage if we didn’t get past ICT. 

Cruyff Turn

I think he’s signed good players and we now have the basis of a good squad to push on next season. He was never going to be able to get everything in place in one summer window.

He says 2 or 3 but I think it’ll be more like 4 or 5 as there is a few needing punted.

If we keep Djoum and Naisy. Bring in Halkett, 2 quality wide players, a quality central midfielder and a Left back, we should be good to go. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

I think he’s signed good players and we now have the basis of a good squad to push on next season. He was never going to be able to get everything in place in one summer window.

He says 2 or 3 but I think it’ll be more like 4 or 5 as there is a few needing punted.

If we keep Djoum and Naisy. Bring in Halkett, 2 quality wide players, a quality central midfielder and a Left back, we should be good to go. 

Already brought in left back last week 

Cruyff Turn
21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That’s exactly how Levein described Sean Clare, seems

to be getting closer and closer to the reality with each passing game. I’d actually say Sean Clare has started his Hearts career more positively than Hartley.

Yeah, Clare has the athleticism to be that box to box midfielder. 

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Already brought in left back last week 

Depends how he does. Hopefully he’s fit enough to strike that one of the list.

Alex Kintner
39 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

a10aee37a7e56dbcefae95ef4429af4df37ca634

5 minutes ago, Prof said:

Now that the euphoria over a scrappy home 2-1 win against a team struggling badly in the championship is over and yes we may get to the final, nothing has changed in our team play and tactics . Looking at the forthcoming fixtures , there's a distinct possibility that the Hobos could finish above us. Hearts are now playing the style of play that got CL the sack from the national team job. If the Hubz do finish above us he has to go. No debate needed.

It’s good that the manager is fully aware that now we have the backbone of the team sorted out the final ingredient is the creativity/flair whoch he plans to add in the summer. Back in 2005, we had a fantastic team when attacking flair was added to the backbone he had built. We don’t have anything like the same budget now but hopefully he can rustle up another bargain along the lines of JLV or Milinkovic.

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Exciting times ??

Nookie Bear
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Have to chortle at this. Nothing wrong with what you are saying but it does feel like a copy and paste from any point over the last 5 years.

Going forward without Djoum and Naismith is a tad concerning right now, but hopefully we can bring similar (or better) in if our budget is a touch looser than previous years.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Looking forward to the same arguments on here when we’re 5th next year :lol:

We might not even be 5th this year.

We might be 3rd.

I actually trust this Hearts team more against top 6 opposition. 

Lots of points up for grabs.

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Have to chortle at this. Nothing wrong with what you are saying but it does feel like a copy and paste from any point over the last 5 years.

Going forward without Djoum and Naismith is a tad concerning right now, but hopefully we can bring similar (or better) in if our budget is a touch looser than previous years.

Agree, wide areas and left have been the glaringly obvious weak areas for a few years. 

Again agree, Naisy and Djoum are key players and would need replaced with the same experience and quality.

Alex Kintner
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I disagree. Key areas that needed sorted two years ago or even one year ago have been sorted. 

strength and depth at centre back ✔️

ball winning midfielder who can also play a bit ✔️

box to box attacking midfielder✔️

target man/hold-up striker ✔️

We may have already signed the answer to our left back issues in White and with Garrucio having a season under his belt which only leaves the quality wide player/s to be resolved which is what Levein agrees in the article. 

We’re definitely getting there imo ??

All very good paper talk but not sure I trust Levein to to recognise and sign 'flair' players, not really his thing.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree, wide areas and left have been the glaringly obvious weak areas for a few years. 

Again agree, Naisy and Djoum are key players and would need replaced with the same experience and quality.

Both are never far away from an injury spell out the team.

Great if both stay but would still need quality cover to avoid a potentially great season being ruined as happened this year.

hmfc_liam06

I wouldn't be massively disappointed with signing 3 high profile players in the summer - winger, striker and a midfielder.

I'd like a goalie but feel that Bobby will be fine for another season.

Bobby

Smith

Souttar

Berra

White/Garuccio

Haring

New midfielder

Clare

New winger

Naismith

Uche/new striker

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Pushing on from Cathro’s LC performance wasn’t difficult. 

Nice easy draw in the SC, but job done as expected. 

League has fallen short. Never mind the placings, we have dropped stupid points based because of defending narrow leads. We are I reckon about 10 points short of where we should be, perhaps more. 

And being positive on here is not supporting your team, by the way. I am rather positive at Tynie but I can see the bigger picture away from the ground. 

If hear folk saying we haven't pushed on or made progress, we have. 

It's a fact deal with it. 

Not even open to debate. 

Every team has dropped points, stupid or otherwise. Celtic probably more than anyone, relative wise. 

Any manager will drop points, if you want to support a team that doesn't drop points, stupid or otherwise I honestly think Hearts are your problem and not CL. 

If you want to go from last season to 2nd top, competing in all cups regularly all in one transfer window then I'm not sure you are being realistic in terms of Hearts. 

We have made decent progress so far. 

We could still have scope for either good or little progress this season, harping on about sacking CL isn't productive in aiding that. 

Also looks like he'll be here next season, so you can either deal with it or regurgitate the same arguments next season. 

In the summer, the question needs asked about how we best push on further, but that's not for now. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

It's actually a massive difference, Likley £2-£3m difference if we reach the final. 

If we get 4th, then there's Europe, another £500k plus extra  (even if only 2/3 games) all on top of last season. 

Massive difference to us. 

Plus Sammon wage ?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just see quite a few digs at him on here, that’s all. None of which seem confirmed. 

Apprentky injuted but then called up by Scotland and this “new bird” rumour that you’re running with. 

I inagine Levein doesn’t fancy him ahead of Lee and Boz right now, like Edwards, and it’s no more than that. 

Running with.. 

Having a bit banter, calling him shagger that is all. 

As I said, lighten up, calm doon. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, cheetah said:

All very good paper talk but not sure I trust Levein to to recognise and sign 'flair' players, not really his thing.

Signed the likes of Hartley, Valois and Perreira and promoted the likes of Joe Hamill during his first spell at Hearts.

Signed Sandaza and O’Brien while at Utd and promoted Conway.

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Mulraney showed some great skill on Tuesday as well as , obviously , pace . He also put in a few good crosses .

Morrison is a good player who , I think , will get better . His crossing earlier in the season was , yes inconsistent , but much better than made out on here .

Had a wild effort on Tuesday when he totally mishit , I think , a shot . Wee lack of confidence . Maybe  , with encouragement (!) , he'll get that back .

Nookie Bear
22 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It's a fact deal with it. 

Not even open to debate. 

Oh, okay then.

16 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Signed the likes of Hartley, Valois and Perreira and promoted the likes of Joe Hamill during his first spell at Hearts.

Signed Sandaza and O’Brien while at Utd and promoted Conway.

oh well looks like i was wrong he has signed one :rofl: 

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, cheetah said:

oh well looks like i was wrong he has signed one :rofl: 

Didn’t attend Hearts matches 15 years ago type post.

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Didn’t attend Hearts matches 15 years ago type post.

Doesn't have a clue who I am or what matches I attend type post.

Being a flair player isn't about thinking you are good its about actually being good.

Alex Kintner
Just now, cheetah said:

Being a flair player isn't about thinking you are good its about actually being good.

Did you attend matches 15 years ago?

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, cheetah said:

Whenever I hear someone described as a flair player I think 'Shite most of the time but every so often produces something magical'.

Levein’s basing it on the current squad which in reality could be slightly dismantled with players leaving. 

We’ll end up needing more than 2 or 3.  Personally think we need a bit more quality out wide in attacking areas. 

Realistically, we are going to be signing more than 2 or 3 players regardless of what is said in the press conferences.

Personally, I think we need 2 GK's, 2 CB's, 2 CM's, 2 wingers and a striker. That's 9 squad players.

Fair enough you could reduce that by keeping Bobby as back up GK, Halkett to come in and Djoum/Naismith staying but we are going to have to replace outgoing players.

I think we are likely to see the back of Hughes, Doyle, Shaughnessy(return from loan), Djoum, Naismith and I think it would still benefit some of the younger players to get full season at championship level sides to be playing every week - MacDonald and Keena especially.