Job interview Tips

Captain America

Heartsmad1874

Just had one of those pre recorded, one way interviews where they send you questions to answer for them to later review.

Absolute disaster :( 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Captain America

• Ribble

• superjack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Just had one of those pre recorded, one way interviews where they send you questions to answer for them to later review.

Absolute disaster :( 

I got made redundant a couple of years ago and made the mistake of accepting a video inverview over my mobile phone a few days after getting the news while serving my notice.  It was an absolute disaster - trying to do an interview while holding a phone in an empty room in the office.

I had several more interviews and eventually landed my ideal job after interviewing for some that were second or third choices.  The key piece of advice I would say, and my line of work is Software Development was to take positives from the failed interviews and note the questions that tripped you up and research them so that the next one you have strong answers.

I would never do such a video interview again unless it was at home with my webcam on the computer.

Heartsmad1874
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I got made redundant a couple of years ago and made the mistake of accepting a video inverview over my mobile phone a few days after getting the news while serving my notice.  It was an absolute disaster - trying to do an interview while holding a phone in an empty room in the office.

I had several more interviews and eventually landed my ideal job after interviewing for some that were second or third choices.  The key piece of advice I would say, and my line of work is Software Development was to take positives from the failed interviews and note the questions that tripped you up and research them so that the next one you have strong answers.

I would never do such a video interview again unless it was at home with my webcam on the computer.

Questions were pretty straight forward tbh, practised over and over but when it came to it the whole thing just felt so unnatural and uncomfortable sitting in an empty room talking to my computer.

Never even heard of that type of interview. What is the benefit of companies doing that rather than a traditional style interview (over Zoom or whatever). 

7 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Never even heard of that type of interview. What is the benefit of companies doing that rather than a traditional style interview (over Zoom or whatever). 

It does seem pretty bizarre.

The worst interviews I had were ones that gave you a project to do to advance to the next interview stage.  I spent ages on one and some tosser dismissed it out of hand without an interview with smug comments that were subjective opinions.

I would be reluctant to do such a thing again as if you are still working it is impossible to commit adequate time to shine, and regardless you have to commit work for other applications and interviews.

Edited by frankblack

Riddley Walker

I got a new job in March and because of Covid they changed it to a Skype interview. Then on the day one of the interviewers had technical issues as they had all just started working from home. 

Because of this it ended up being a phone interview conference call style. Best interview I've ever done by a mile, was so much more relaxed (and could also look at my notes) and got the job. 

Lots of research is definitely key and because most interviews are competency based, practicing your answers over and over for your anticipated questions makes such a difference. Make sure you're speaking out loud as well rather than just learning in your head. 

1 hour ago, Riddley Walker said:

I got a new job in March and because of Covid they changed it to a Skype interview. Then on the day one of the interviewers had technical issues as they had all just started working from home. 

Because of this it ended up being a phone interview conference call style. Best interview I've ever done by a mile, was so much more relaxed (and could also look at my notes) and got the job. 

Lots of research is definitely key and because most interviews are competency based, practicing your answers over and over for your anticipated questions makes such a difference. Make sure you're speaking out loud as well rather than just learning in your head. 

Good advice 👍 I would add, look for the key words in their questions and use the same key words in your answer.

• 5 weeks later...

Got another of these one sided interviews with the same company. Anyone done of these and can offer any tips??

Don't fancy ****ing it up again 🙄🙄