Paul scholes NHC

1874robbo

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Best British midfielder of a generation by a country mile. 

Absolutely. The only genuinely world class English player in my 30 odd years of watching football.

I was always baffled at the way England didn't utilise him properly, he was often asked to play wide in a four, to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard who were very good, but not at Scholes' level. Any sensible manager would build a team around him (as Ferguson did). 

I've always disliked Man Utd, but this guy was first class.  

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll say it. Could STILL do a job. 

Best British midfielder of a generation by a country mile. 

The fact England done **** all with a spine of Terry, Backham, Ferdinand, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen etc is simply quite ridiculous

Roxy Hearts
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The fact England done **** all with a spine of Terry, Backham, Ferdinand, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen etc is simply quite ridiculous

Due to not being as good as they think they are. Beckham was overhyped compared to someone like Ronaldo who's still a great player. Terry not a great international player. 

Inch Hearts
11 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Cause he's a wee arrogant prick

How does that even make sense?

He took the job of his boyhood club and knows he can’t turn their fortunes around.

how on Earth is that arrogant? 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not sure if he's been sacked but...

Henry and Scholes are terrible pundits. 

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Absolutely. The only genuinely world class English player in my 30 odd years of watching football.

I was always baffled at the way England didn't utilise him properly, he was often asked to play wide in a four, to accommodate Gerrard and Lampard who were very good, but not at Scholes' level. Any sensible manager would build a team around him (as Ferguson did). 

I've always disliked Man Utd, but this guy was first class.  

Sir Alex understood this and built his side around Scholes, twice.

The England managers shat themselves against the media.

10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Due to not being as good as they think they are. Beckham was overhyped compared to someone like Ronaldo who's still a great player. Terry not a great international player. 

Beckham and Ronaldo are non comparable imo.

Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer on the planet and Beckham imo is the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

The board.  

Poor preparation then. 

Though it happens.

Should get another job soon then. 

Samuel Camazzola
32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Lampard and Gerrard have done okay

And discovered it is hard. 

It's difficult to gauge how well Gerrard has done with it being his first season at a club and first gig. 

Based on resources, the team he has put together and managed has largely under-performed. 

It seems to be his profile attracted Defoe to come and his contacts allowed for loan signings. His buys have not really impressed though. 

Unless he jumps ship to a gig down south, a trophy-less season next term could see him only get two years. 

chester copperpot

Footballer Scholes > Lampard > Gerrard 

Football manager > Lampard > Gerrard > Scholes.

Kills me to say this but Paul Scholes was a total misfit in that England midfield. He was a world class player born in the wrong era/country.

I cant see anyone in a rush to hire him after chucking it so quickly.

Oldham has given him an opportunity and it’s up to him to make it work.

Inch Hearts
17 minutes ago, DVB said:

I cant see anyone in a rush to hire him after chucking it so quickly.

Oldham has given him an opportunity and it’s up to him to make it work.

It didn’t do Burley any harm. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

That wasn't a spine, it was a collection of egos and celebrities that all had to be accommodated somehow by managers too weak to do what others have said and build the team around someone like Scholes.

It's no coincidence that the England team has become better, more of a team and, dare I say, even likeable, without that lot.

34 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Kills me to say this but Paul Scholes was a total misfit in that England midfield. He was a world class player born in the wrong era/country.

completely agree

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I’ll tell you exactly why they done feck all!!

there is something glaringly obvious missing in your spine!!

goalkeeper!!!

the ones around that era always fecked up.

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Absolutely. Would've slotted into a Spain, Portugal or Italy midfield nicely. A Rolls-Royce of a player who was no stranger to the dark arts (he knew exactly what he was doing with those early 'looseners').

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Absolutely. Would've slotted into a Spain, Portugal or Italy midfield nicely. A Rolls-Royce of a player who was no stranger to the dark arts (he knew exactly what he was doing with those early 'looseners').

As a Liverpool fan, the biggest compliment I can give him is that I hated him more than Roy Keane.

An absolute brilliant player. Keane I could get (just about) but Scholesy was an absolute dream of a player.

I just wish he had been in a barca team as he would have been better than Xavi (IMO)

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

I must admit I judge people on how they view Scholes. I can't help thinking that people who don't see him as something really special just don't understand the game. Apologies to anyone that patronises, I can't help it. 

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Leaves Oldham job!!! Didn’t last long that now did it.

Thrown in the towel after doing everything he could. Anyone in work can understand

jamtartan74

Best midfielder in Britain or possibly Europe in my life time, made things look so easy, his crossfield passes were something else, under rated by many. Sign him up, he would still stroll our league. 

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Its not until u watch stuff back u realise wow! What a player, 

Saw a good one recently that I can't find unfortunately, it was fascinating. Scholes would never pick the easy pass, and it meant he was constantly confusing the opposition, and that's what his game was built on. A nightmare to play against 

Unknown user

These guys ken the score

"If he was playing with me, I would have scored so many more."
- Pele

"My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."
- Zinedine Zidane

"I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears."
- Luis Figo

"I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is."
- Edgar Davids

"In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen – the most complete – is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."
- Xavi

"The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes."
- Patrick Viera

"An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being."
- Roy Keane

"I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player."
- Laurent Blanc

"I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’."
- Thierry Henry

"Paul Scholes had the best football brain I’d ever seen in a kid. Let’s face it. Paul Scholes is in a class of his own."
- Brian Kidd

"Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team."
- Marcello Lippi

"Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes, he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would had loved to play alongside him."
- Pep Guardiola

"He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."
- Cesc Fabregas

"At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."
- Lionel Messi

"Nobody else can play the way Paul Scholes does."
- Dimitar Berbatov

"When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any players at the club could do. Once I was showing my skills to Scholes. After I finished, Scholes took the ball and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I’m going to hit it in one shot. He kicked and hit the tree. He asked me to do the same; I kicked about 10 times, but still couldn’t hit it, with that accuracy. He smiled and left."
- Cristiano Ronaldo

"I wouldn’t swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best."
- Gary Neville

"Best player? For me, it’s Paul Scholes. He’ll do ridiculous things in training like say, “You see that tree over there?” – it’ll be 40 yards away – “I’m going to hit it”. And he’ll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."
- Rio Ferdinand

"I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. In so many ways Scholes is my favourite."
- Sir Bobby Charlton

"I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He’s got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him. There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere in the world. Paul is irreplaceable."
- Sir Alex Ferguson

Unknown user
23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Great video. I love that there was a wee nasty section in there, he was a dirty wee ******* as well as an utter Rolls Royce of a player, what a nightmare he must have been to play against!

Edited by Smithee

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ftfy- great watch by the way

Cheers, makes it easier to watch on here. He was absolutely the Einstein of football. The idea of playing football with disguise is a great one, but I guess you have to be good enough technically or you look daft.

jamtartan74
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Cheers for that, what a player he was ?

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

England were all the poorer for not having him after Euro 2004 considering Man U got nearly another decade out of him, think every tournament the England managers begged him to come back