Football Before The Internet

been here before

Just now, glynnlondon said:

Many a hefty bill rung up on a club call line.

That thing was absolutely brutal. Absolutely robbery for complete shite. I phoned a few times one month when I lived at home as a teenager and when the bill came in my mum went tonto. Thing was it was all shite. Just ads and pauses and no real news etc etc. Think the bill for half a dozen calls was over £30 which was a lot in the late 80’s. I was on a YTS at the time and it cost me my weeks wage to pay my mum back. Should of been shot for agreeing to partner these wanks who ran it

Bit more contemporary, but does anyone remember typing 'HEARTS' into the Nokia sports 'app', then having to wait a couple of minutes to receive a text telling you the latest score? Must've been around 2000 or so.

Sure it cost about 50 feckin' pence as well!

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Remember the old days in the shed where we were waiting for the half and full times from the stadium announcer. Occasionally there wouldn’t be any read out so we would have to wait until we got home or the pub before we knew. Mental when you think about it now

Unless you were near a "tranny man", which probably means something completely different these days.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I mind my auld man checking his coupon with the classified results.  That voice; where you could more often than not predict if the away team had won/drawn/lost, from the way the home team's score was said.

The guy on GSS attempts this but he hasn't got it nailed.

Mad GSS guy oot.

I remember that win v. Motherwell.

Wee Doddie scored a late third at the Gorgie Road End that was ruled offside. I was in the main stand enclosure that day and I've never forgotten Alex having a go at the ref. 

You could also be Mr Popular in those days if you had a pocket transistor radio with a single white earpiece.

The Treasurer

Whether it's the radio, the scoreboard in the Gorgie Road end or the internet, one thing has remained the same.

One result still f### up my fixed odds :sad: