What on earth went on for second penalty?

feedthefox

rick witter
8 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

From now on Clare or Bozanic on penalties.

Uche's was awful.

It’s a little bit worrying  actually that we have all these strikers who can’t shoot properly from 12 yards. 

Terrible pen but at least he won’t get another one. 

skinnybob72

If you hit penalties low without a lot of power the keeper has a 50/50 chance of saving it. Most of our penalties seem to be hit that way and the number we miss is therefore little surprise. 

46 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Clare’s penalty was decent, hit right in the corner and with enough power that I feel would have beaten a keeper even if they guessed right.

dont know what

you saw?

Saw it again on the highlights and it was better than I thought at the time.

Craig Herbertson

Clare has excellent technique. I'd just nominate him for penalties from now on.

On the other hand Uche is pacing towards you, holding the ball which looks like a wee marble in his hands and says he wants to take the penalty. Would you be the one to take away his toys.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Levein had an agreement with that if he was fouled he could take it. According to the radio

That is unbelievably tinpot.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Saw it again on the highlights and it was better than I thought at the time.

Clare’s penalty was clinical precision and basically unsavable. 

12 hours ago, indianajones said:

We have been a joke with penalties for years now. 

Since Elvis was our penalty taker.

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Eh, you’re forgetting Sir Paul. Clare’s was our second consecutive converted penalty, a surprise in itself, and after Uche’s effort, I (half seriously) asked my mate if we’d scored three penalties in a row since the Gretna Cup Final. Have we??? ?

We were also having a laugh visualising “penalty expert” Oliver Bozanic ready to come on at 1-1 in the 119th minute of the cup final and Big Uche refusing to come off, a la Kepa!!! 

Edited by Shaggy2

12 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Nedd to stop this now. Does that mean if any. Of our players wins a penalty they get to take it? ****ing joke nearly cost us right at the end

Not remember the jumpers for goals games when you were a kid.

Makers takers mate.

13 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Joke of a decision and luckily it didn’t bite us on the arse!!!!

until Clare misses them he’s on the penalties!!!

and ffs a big guy like uche!!! I could have hit that penalty harder with my bellend!!

smash the Feckin thing!

That could be a hit on youtube ...

All roads lead to Gorgie

Crucial pens should always be given to the best player for the job. If you are four or five up then let the fouled player take, fair enough! 

13 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Haven’t had a decent taker since Grainger or possibly Snakey?

We seem to have a good one in Clare, if he gets to take them :laugh: 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Craig Herbertson said:

Clare has excellent technique. I'd just nominate him for penalties from now on.

On the other hand Uche is pacing towards you, holding the ball which looks like a wee marble in his hands and says he wants to take the penalty. Would you be the one to take away his toys.

He tried to take the first one too, Clare told him no. 

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Eh, you’re forgetting Sir Paul. Clare’s was our second consecutive converted penalty, a surprise in itself, and after Uche’s effort, I (half seriously) asked my mate if we’d scored three penalties in a row since the Gretna Cup Final. Have we??? ?

We were also having a laugh visualising “penalty expert” Oliver Bozanic ready to come on at 1-1 in the 119th minute of the cup final and Big Uche refusing to come off, a la Kepa!!! 

Scored 3 in one game vs Cowdenbeath

To be fair it was never a penalty anyway when Uche went down. . The one thing about Uche is his entertainment value. Instead of passing in the second half he wanted to be a hero but ended up blootering  the ball desperate dan style into the Gorgie end. An absolute howler. 

itsnomarooned
14 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

That’s what Preston said funnily enough.

Aye, said it wasn't "makers takers" - made me laugh, haven't heard that in years. Straight off the playground.

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Of course :facepalm:sorry SPH.

50 minutes ago, Prof said:

To be fair it was never a penalty anyway when Uche went down. . The one thing about Uche is his entertainment value. Instead of passing in the second half he wanted to be a hero but ended up blootering  the ball desperate dan style into the Gorgie end. An absolute howler. 

I think he's just utterly desperate to get goals.  I was almost screaming at him when he didn't pass just before his goal as i think it was mulraney who was in acres of space, but fair play to him for tucking it away.

If Uche hammers it then the keeper - even if he gets a touch on it - finds himself in a bus stop on Gorgie Road.

It was a shite penalty.

Clare's was sublime.

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Scored 3 in one game vs Cowdenbeath

Like I said I was only half serious, but I must admit I’d forgotten that one. ??

Hopefully we’ll not need penalties to win the SF or the final...

4 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Crucial pens should always be given to the best player for the job. If you are four or five up then let the fouled player take, fair enough! 

100% this

28 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Can we just clear this up.,.. Levein had no such agreement and has made it clear it won’t be happening again!

Hi Craig 

indianajones
9 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yeah not far off the mark. 

The 2006 sublime final penalty display feels like a long long time ago now. 

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Yeah not far off the mark. 

The 2006 sublime final penalty display feels like a long long time ago now. 

That was the pinnacle of penalty taking

the worst example was definitely the shootout vs Dunfermline in the game that ultimately saw Cathro sacked, some truly horrendous efforts

Calebs Grandad
22 hours ago, feedthefox said:

I love the big guy and he won the penalty but in my opinion it was totally wrong for Uche to go grab the ball and insist he takes the penalty, Clare had already put one away expertly so it was a no brainer he should take the next one. I had a bad feeling and rather than put the game to bed it gave Partick a new lease of life. Would like to have seen Berra maybe take control there and tell Uche to hand it to Clare. That said we won and Uche had a great game so no harm done in the end.

Couldn’t agree more. Given our record of missed penalties and the fact we were only 1 goal ahead with the opportunity to kill the game and reach a winnable semi final it was absolutely ludicrous that he was allowed to take a penalty after Clare had already scored one. We should have 2 players regularly practicing penalty kicks as all the work that can lead up to winning one is undone if we miss one. 

Calebs Grandad
13 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

If you hit penalties low without a lot of power the keeper has a 50/50 chance of saving it. Most of our penalties seem to be hit that way and the number we miss is therefore little surprise. 

Mentioned on here before but I think Matt Le Tissier missed one penalty from around  the 48 or 49 he took. There is definitely a technique there and any penalty hit into the top left or right corner area isn’t going to be saved. Last nights miss was a player hoping the keeper would go one way and he’d put the ball the other way. A toss of a coin guess with no technique involved at all.

indianajones
21 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

That was the pinnacle of penalty taking

the worst example was definitely the shootout vs Dunfermline in the game that ultimately saw Cathro sacked, some truly horrendous efforts

Yep - every single one of them was executed perfectly. 

At least the Dunfermline one had a silver lining at least. The penalty shootout at Ayr in 2012/13 (maybe) was stinking as well. Janos Balogh just didnt move. 

22 hours ago, marshallschunkychicken said:

Craig also mentioned that Uche had been stressing about not being on the scoresheet for a while so that may be why he had the agreement.

God awful penalty nonetheless.

He’d already ****ing scored FFS

And Clare had also scored our best pen since Hartley.

2 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Mentioned on here before but I think Matt Le Tissier missed one penalty from around  the 48 or 49 he took. There is definitely a technique there and any penalty hit into the top left or right corner area isn’t going to be saved. Last nights miss was a player hoping the keeper would go one way and he’d put the ball the other way. A toss of a coin guess with no technique involved at all.

Ray Stewart of West Ham had some record too.

81 scored out of 86. (depending on the source)

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Couldn’t agree more. Given our record of missed penalties and the fact we were only 1 goal ahead with the opportunity to kill the game and reach a winnable semi final it was absolutely ludicrous that he was allowed to take a penalty after Clare had already scored one. We should have 2 players regularly practicing penalty kicks as all the work that can lead up to winning one is undone if we miss one. 

It's not ludicrous that we allowed our striker to hit a penalty. 

Far from it. 

Folk are losing the plot on this, again. 

For ludicrous, see Henry Smith v Dundee  many years ago. ?

4 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It's not ludicrous that we allowed our striker to hit a penalty. 

Far from it. 

Folk are losing the plot on this, again. 

For ludicrous, see Henry Smith v Dundee  many years ago. ?

Actually.....

it it is completely ludicrous. We were only a goal ahead and hardly sitting on a comfortable cushion. You can’t piss about when you’ve got a slender one goal lead. 

Uche was overlooked v Celtic and again v Partick for a reason......don’t just let him take it because he won it.....not unless your three or four clear.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Actually.....

it it is completely ludicrous. We were only a goal ahead and hardly sitting on a comfortable cushion. You can’t piss about when you’ve got a slender one goal lead. 

Uche was overlooked v Celtic and again v Partick for a reason......don’t just let him take it because he won it.....not unless your three or four clear.

It's not. 

Many strikers take penalties. 

Some miss. 

Some score. 

It's not ludicrous. Never in a million years. 

Naismith missed a pk, was him taking one ludicrous? 

A striker taking a pk is not pissing about, again see Smith v Dundee for pissing about. 

He obviously felt confident after his goal. 

The jkb doomsday brigade making a mountain out of a molehill as normal. 

A bit selfish, maybe. Ludicrous, nope. 

10 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It's not. 

Many strikers take penalties. 

Some miss. 

Some score. 

It's not ludicrous. Never in a million years. 

Naismith missed a pk, was him taking one ludicrous? 

A striker taking a pk is not pissing about, again see Smith v Dundee for pissing about. 

He obviously felt confident after his goal. 

The jkb doomsday brigade making a mountain out of a molehill as normal. 

A bit selfish, maybe. Ludicrous, nope. 

You are completely missing the point.

When an important game is balancing on a knife edge, you don’t overlook your chosen penalty taker and pass it to someone you haven’t had the confidence in to take the previous two kicks. And you certainly shouldn’t be passing it him on the old makers takers nonsense.

We are not good enough to be giving teams any advantages at the moment.

On 13/03/2019 at 00:40, graygo said:

Clare's penalty wasn't a wonder strike, keeper goes the right way and that's a shocker of a hit too.

Why does nobody smash them these days for us?

Utter garbage, his pen was class.

Kirky Jambo

I recall Zal being good at penalties. Scored an absolute peach in the shootout against ICT in the 2013 league cup semi (where I think we scored them all).

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

You are completely missing the point.

When an important game is balancing on a knife edge, you don’t overlook your chosen penalty taker and pass it to someone you haven’t had the confidence in to take the previous two kicks. And you certainly shouldn’t be passing it him on the old makers takers nonsense.

We are not good enough to be giving teams any advantages at the moment.

Still, it is in no way ludicrous.