Jury Service

arfurdaley

Got a citation for jury duty at the High Court today. Phoned the Jurors attendance line last night and was told I wasnt required to attend court today, but was to phone today after 5pm for further instructions. Just phoned the number and the message has not been updated. Does this mean I wont have to attend court tomorrow? Cheers

Don't bank on it.    You would be better to attend or phone the admin office number first if it leaves you time to attend.

Dinnae bother. You'll be just fine. Maybe screenshot this message just in case they try to hold it against you later. The courts value kickbacks opinion.

If the phone message hasn't changed you don't need to attend. 

Happened to me at Jedburgh. I went once and wasn't required.

Next day had the same message.

Then I had to call and explain I lived 35 miles away from court and it would take me one full hour to get there. 

Haven't heard anything back since 

When I went, the number of folk that just didn’t bother to show up was fairly staggering. 

Not sure if they got away with it or are currently keeping someone’s boaby warm in HMP saughton, mind. 

54 minutes ago, gjcc said:

When I went, the number of folk that just didn’t bother to show up was fairly staggering. 

Not sure if they got away with it or are currently keeping someone’s boaby warm in HMP saughton, mind. 

How do you know how many never turned up?

I had to do it last September I believe. Sat from half 10 to half 12. 50 or so of us went through and I wasn't picked. Got told that day that we wouldn't need to come back tomorrow. Later found out the case got thrown out by the judge after 2 days as he said the prosecution witnesses were clearly lying. 

15 hours ago, arfurdaley said:

Got a citation for jury duty at the High Court today. Phoned the Jurors attendance line last night and was told I wasnt required to attend court today, but was to phone today after 5pm for further instructions. Just phoned the number and the message has not been updated. Does this mean I wont have to attend court tomorrow? Cheers

Remember, if you get selected then be a juror the JKB way:

1. Believe every story you hear in advance.  If it is on social media then it simply must be true - especially if there is a "#" before it

2. Never and I repeat NEVER hear two sides of the story.  As soon as the prosecution has finished, the defendant is guilty.

3. If anyone disagrees with your decision call them a horrible name and make them know without equivocation that you are morally superior to them.

Follow the above and you will be grand.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Well?    Locked up in the High Court dungeons with Mad Tam fae Niddrie yet?

Na, phoned at 830 this morning spoke to someone in the office, who told me there was a problem with the message updating. Didn't have to go in again. 

13 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

How do you know how many never turned up?

I had to do it last September I believe. Sat from half 10 to half 12. 50 or so of us went through and I wasn't picked. Got told that day that we wouldn't need to come back tomorrow. Later found out the case got thrown out by the judge after 2 days as he said the prosecution witnesses were clearly lying. 

It was the sheriff court. I was the one of the last in. There were loads on the list that hadn’t been marked off. 

The sheriff also said as much during the jury selection that he was disappointed with the turnout as there were so many “no shows” but thanked those that had bothered. 

9 minutes ago, gjcc said:

It was the sheriff court. I was the one of the last in. There were loads on the list that hadn’t been marked off. 

The sheriff also said as much during the jury selection that he was disappointed with the turnout as there were so many “no shows” but thanked those that had bothered. 

Ah I see! 

Only ever got called as a student (got excused) and haven't been called in the past 20 years. Very strange.

Don't know if I can be called up for jury service as ideas a naughty boy in the past. I would suggest getting lifted 

27 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don't know if I can be called up for jury service as ideas a naughty boy in the past. I would suggest getting lifted 

Good idea. Opportunity to do a hibs jake impression tonight and invade the pitch to get to Caldwell. 

Knowing folk from here though, theyd they’d be more likely to target Levein. :blush: 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Only ever got called as a student (got excused) and haven't been called in the past 20 years. Very strange.

Citation coming through the post in 3,2,1...? 

3 hours ago, Gershwin said:

I had over 20 years between first and next and since then every 2 years though I'm on a 5 year gap after being on jury. 

Shanks said no

Was called once around 1990, cleared my desk and was ready for a week or two away. Was told I wasn’t needed the night before and had to go to work the next day. Was like a cancelled holiday.

never been invited again and would jump at the chance of a long trial although I could get excused because of my job

Dean Winchester
5 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Same for me but it was only back in 2010 when we had that snowstorm. Made it in the first day and got told not to come back for the rest of the week.

Always wanted to do it as well.

10 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

Same for me but it was only back in 2010 when we had that snowstorm. Made it in the first day and got told not to come back for the rest of the week.

Always wanted to do it as well.

Me too.  When I went in,  we were told the defendants couldn't get down from Dundee because of the weather.  The trial had been expected to last 3 weeks. Gutted.

Ryan Jarman

Only ever been called once & got picked. 8 days on a peado case. ****ing brutal and I never want to do it again. 

Been on a jury at the Sheriff Court twice when called, didn't mind doing it at all but couldn't believe I managed to get on the jury both times when so many that attend are dismissed as not required.

Got another letter a year or so ago to attend again....which unfortunately got mislaid and only opened after the jury date. ? Was expecting to hear from them for a while, but never heard about it again. 

On 12/03/2019 at 12:39, arfurdaley said:

Na, phoned at 830 this morning spoke to someone in the office, who told me there was a problem with the message updating. Didn't have to go in again. 

Haha that's typical, in other words the Clerk has forgotten to record the answer machine message.  FUDS.

Only ever been called up once and as soon as they seen where I worked (Scottish Legal Aid Board) I was instantly dismissed and I've not had another letter in the 20 years since. 

3 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Lifetime Exemption :greggy:

Either ex polis, justiciary or a convicted murderer.

A Boy Named Crow

I got the letter once, but it was to my old address, so I got it ages after the date I was meant to attend. Suffered no ill effects, but took the precaution of leaving the country anyway - can’t be too careful!

Did make me wonder though, what if everyone just ignored the letter, would the entire system of justice collapse?

• 1 month later...
heartsfc_fan

Just going to bump this thread.

Got my first jury call soon.

How strict are they with public transport expenses costs? By that I mean it will take me less than half the time to get there by train than bus. Obviously the train is more expensive though. Do they mind?

Armageddon
On 14/03/2019 at 19:30, argyjambo said:

Either ex polis, justiciary or a convicted murderer.

You mean JUDICIARY?? ;) 

Armageddon
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

How strict are they with public transport expenses costs? By that I mean it will take me less than half the time to get there by train than bus. Obviously the train is more expensive though. Do they mind?

You'll be fine.  If you invoice for a chauffeur or a taxi door to door then that's a different matter.

If you're a gorgeous girl you'll get picked, if you are a pain in the arse you won't even make it into the selection bowl - both FACT

heartsfc_fan
28 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

You'll be fine.  If you invoice for a chauffeur or a taxi door to door then that's a different matter.

If you're a gorgeous girl you'll get picked, if you are a pain in the arse you won't even make it into the selection bowl - both FACT

Cheers

Hope for me not getting picked then ?

Der Kaiser
13 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Pretty sure they'll pay for a horse and carriage. Courts like it when jurors class up.

• 1 month later...
Shanks said no
On 12/03/2019 at 18:27, The Frenchman Returns said:

Was called once around 1990, cleared my desk and was ready for a week or two away. Was told I wasn’t needed the night before and had to go to work the next day. Was like a cancelled holiday.

never been invited again and would jump at the chance of a long trial although I could get excused because of my job

Well looks like I got my wish, cited to do jury duty in August at the High Court

When i was called up i was last to get picked, thought i had got away with it too. Most boring 2 weeks of my life! 

Doctor FinnBarr

I got called to the High Court in Livi last month, 3 hour wait with about 20 seats for 50 folks. Thing that got me was the amount of roasters who turned up with folders/new notepads/packets of pens! We then got sent home to phone later that day...phone message dismissed us all.

You're as much a prisoner as the accused when told to attend. 

Hate the way I'm at their mercy and they can herd me from one court to another, day by day, whittling the punters down by 15, raising your hopes of escape and then BOOM...out comes the words I've dreaded hearing all day:

My name. 

Hate jury service. 

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, martoon said:

You're as much a prisoner as the accused when told to attend. 

Hate the way I'm at their mercy and they can herd me from one court to another, day by day, whittling the punters down by 15, raising your hopes of escape and then BOOM...out comes the words I've dreaded hearing all day:

My name. 

Hate jury service. 

Same, such a tedious affair

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Well looks like I got my wish, cited to do jury duty in August at the High Court

Are you still keen now that it's actually happening? 

Shanks said no
10 hours ago, martoon said:

Are you still keen now that it's actually happening? 

Currently sick and tired of my job, so see this as an excuse to get away from the office. I am on call 24/7 and this will be one of the few times I can legitimately switch my phone off and forget about it.

If I wanted to I could be excused but at the moment I am not planning on doing that. Have already told my director who asked if I was going to get an exemption, “nah I might be away for weeks.”

58 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Currently sick and tired of my job, so see this as an excuse to get away from the office. I am on call 24/7 and this will be one of the few times I can legitimately switch my phone off and forget about it.

If I wanted to I could be excused but at the moment I am not planning on doing that. Have already told my director who asked if I was going to get an exemption, “nah I might be away for weeks.”

Hope you enjoy it, bud. I did the first time around; it was just the second and third time it started to feel a bit samey.

You never know, the miscreant might be a Hibs fan or, just as likely, a current or former Hibs player. That I could get on board with it. The last jury I sat on (Sheriff Court) was mostly Jambos and there was a much publicised case in the pipeline involving a well known Hibs player. We'd have given the guil...sorry, the accused, a right fair trial.

A pretty creepy Jury Service story recently from Edinburgh recently.  The Jury was picked by the Clerk at the High Court, the trial was going on for a bit and the Clerk took a fancy for one of the Jurors, he looked up her number on their system and while smashed at 2am he text her saying how he thought she was fit, she's replied "How did you get my number?" ...............................yip you guessed it, she reported it and he was sacked!!  He's ironically now cutting grass in Edinburgh for a living.

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

A pretty creepy Jury Service story recently from Edinburgh recently.  The Jury was picked by the Clerk at the High Court, the trial was going on for a bit and the Clerk took a fancy for one of the Jurors, he looked up her number on their system and while smashed at 2am he text her saying how he thought she was fit, she's replied "How did you get my number?" ...............................yip you guessed it, she reported it and he was sacked!!  He's ironically now cutting grass in Edinburgh for a living.

ha where did you hear that??

Shanks said no
57 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

ha where did you hear that??

Not sure if I would find that funny if it happened to my wife or daughter. You obviously don't have an issue with texting / calling random women up at 2am.

9 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Not sure if I would find that funny if it happened to my wife or daughter. You obviously don't have an issue with texting / calling random women up at 2am.

Agreed.

Some folk find the strangest things funny.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I only call your wife during business hours if that helps.

You can trust me not to interupt your tea or your sleep. I'm quite polite.