Tonights Europa League

Morgan

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Semi finals are looking like 

Arsenal v Valencia

Benfica/ Frankfurt v Chelsea 

Probably, yes.

I’m hoping it’s Benfica rather than Eintracht Frankfurt.

Hoping also for a Valencia v Benfica Final.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Boab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Boab said:

Return legs tonight.

Four home wins.

5/1.

Good luck to you Boab, but I think Frankfurt may let you down,

What the feck do I know though! :lol: 

The Old Tolbooth
48 minutes ago, Boab said:

Return legs tonight.

Four home wins.

5/1.

That's exactly what I've done too mate, looks pretty straightforward to me. 

24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good luck to you Boab, but I think Frankfurt may let you down,

What the feck do I know though! :lol: 

I’ll take that as my banker home !

?

lauriesrank
6 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Collum refereeing Valencia v Villarreal 

TOok him 1.5 minutes to make a mistake, waved play on and not a valencia player even close!!  LOL, anyway, very entertaining game this, Valencia and Villareal I mean, pissing down too!!

Where has the Napoli that beat Liverpool gone? Honestly they looked bloody good that night and ran them ragged, but this is just awful stuff.

shaun.lawson
19 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Napoli get made to look very ordinary by a functional Arsenal. 

That's because they are very ordinary. Sad to say for those of us who grew up when Serie A was in its pomp... but 2nd best side in Italy means nothing nowadays. Other than how pathetic Serie A is. That's the same Serie A which has had zero finalists in this tournament since 1999. None whatsoever.

And "big European away night in a hostile atmosphere" means nothing either when it comes to this lousy tournament. Just the difference in atmosphere, let alone the quality of football, between the Champions and Europa Leagues, always amazes me. The only Europa League game ever worth watching for a neutral is the final, frankly.

Arsenal, a good side but nothing special yet, are walking it. The EPL had four quarter-finalists in the CL (which had never been done in history), has two semi-finalists, and a live chance of an all-English final. An all-London EL final is looking pretty likely too. Goodness knows, it's been over-hyped many times over the years... but the best league in the world now? It's England, by a suddenly growing distance.

Edited by shaun.lawson

While this season the English teams have done extremely well, there is also no doubt they have benefited well from the demise of key opponents. Madrid and Bayern have dropped off massively from where they had been in recent years, Atletico could also be put in there. Add that to the longer term drip off from both Milan clubs it opens space for those best prepared. There is a chance both european trophies will head to England, but I dont think this is a sign of a landslide for the next few years or more.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

That's because they are very ordinary. Sad to say for those of us who grew up when Serie A was in its pomp... but 2nd best side in Italy means nothing nowadays. Other than how pathetic Serie A is. That's the same Serie A which has had zero finalists in this tournament since 1999. None whatsoever.

And "big European away night in a hostile atmosphere" means nothing either when it comes to this lousy tournament. Just the difference in atmosphere, let alone the quality of football, between the Champions and Europa Leagues, always amazes me. The only Europa League game ever worth watching for a neutral is the final, frankly.

Arsenal, a good side but nothing special yet, are walking it. The EPL had four quarter-finalists in the CL (which had never been done in history), has two semi-finalists, and a live chance of an all-English final. An all-London EL final is looking pretty likely too. Goodness knows, it's been over-hyped many times over the years... but the best league in the world now? It's England, by a suddenly growing distance.

England is one of the top leagues, no doubt. 

The top? Would be open to debate over the last few years the Spanish have provided winners and finalists constantly. 

England have done better overall this season, but it takes more than 1 season to signal a long term change or dominance. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

We could see a Europa Cup final between 2 English sides and it could be a shoot out for a Champions League place between Arsenal and Chelsea

(and of course there could be an all English Champions league final)

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

We could see a Europa Cup final between 2 English sides and it could be a shoot out for a Champions League place between Arsenal and Chelsea

Not if one or both have qualified already through league 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

(and of course there could be an all English Champions league final)

Maybe, but I can see Arsenal being 3rd or 4th Come the seasons end so it won't matter about the Ucl. 

Also, it could very possibly be a Barcelona v spurs final and imo Barca would mess them, badly. 

8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Probably, yes.

I’m hoping it’s Benfica rather than Eintracht Frankfurt.

Hoping also for a Valencia v Benfica Final.

Valencia v Chelsea final 

shaun.lawson

Chelsea - a miserable, bedraggled, spiritless, spineless shambles of a football team - through to a European semi-final. Sums this whole tournament up frankly. 4-3, and it wasn't even exciting! 

Elsewhere: Benfica gonna Benfica. 

shaun.lawson
23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe, but I can see Arsenal being 3rd or 4th Come the seasons end so it won't matter about the Ucl. 

Also, it could very possibly be a Barcelona v spurs final and imo Barca would mess them, badly. 

I think Arsenal will end up 3rd, yes. With Spurs hanging on for 4th.

And you could be right with what you say about the final. Alternatively, if a team's name is on the Cup, no mere footballers can wipe it off.

42 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

England is one of the top leagues, no doubt. 

The top? Would be open to debate over the last few years the Spanish have provided winners and finalists constantly. 

England have done better overall this season, but it takes more than 1 season to signal a long term change or dominance. 

You’re right but you’re wrong.

@shaun.lawson said ‘in the world now’ 

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It's cyclical, of course. The EPL peaked in 2007/8, and I was already noting its decline within 2 years of that. Then it got worse, and worse, and worse (silver lining: this was what let Leicester in to pull off a miracle), but it's back on top now. You could see things building last season; it's gone miles clear now. Managerial quality is the biggest reason for that IMO. 

And when you look around Europe - Juve too old, Bayern nothing special, PSG will never understand how to build a genuine team, Madrid a bunch of mercenaries, Atletico way too old, Barca very good but not what they were, Inter and Milan way way off what's required, Ronaldo and Messi both getting on a bit now - it's hard to see anything other than England pulling away at the top. Especially as Ajax' side will, sadly, surely be taken apart in the summer. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Valencia v Chelsea final 

In that case Mikey, ‘hala Valencia’!

shaun.lawson
Just now, Morgan said:

In that case Mikey, ‘hala Valencia’!

I'm not sure their progress says much for this comp either tbh. I watched Valencia at Old Trafford. God, they were awful. So far off what they once were a couple of decades back - when they were bloody amazing to watch - it was sad. 

I guess I hope Arsenal win it from here. ABC in the Euro Vase; ABB in the Big Cup.

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I'm not sure their progress says much for this comp either tbh. I watched Valencia at Old Trafford. God, they were awful. So far off what they once were a couple of decades back - when they were bloody amazing to watch - it was sad. 

I guess I hope Arsenal win it from here. ABC in the Euro Vase; ABB in the Big Cup.

ABC and ABB are my favourite two mantras also Shaun. :thumbsup:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Mmmm

The best English team is out. 

The best Spanish team is still in. 

Could argue, bit I'll give him that. As of this date the English teams have performed stronger than the teams in  the other leagues. 

Ofc, the season isn't over yet, and I judge teams at the seasons end. 

Using "now" is a bit strange, football tend to at least get judged season on season. 

Even using the term "now", using the Co efficients, 4/10 of the top teams are Spanish and the top two are Spanish. However, England are above Spain in the member Co efficients just now. 

So maybe Spain have the stronger top clubs, but England the stronger league? 

It's a mind bender!!! 

Wouldn't bet against Barca / Valencia winning  both this season either, although Liverpool / Arsenal would also not Suprise. 

Collum books a player for handball when the shot comes off his thigh on to his hand....honestly he is terrible

That player now booked and misses the first leg against Arsenal

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's cyclical, of course. The EPL peaked in 2007/8, and I was already noting its decline within 2 years of that. Then it got worse, and worse, and worse (silver lining: this was what let Leicester in to pull off a miracle), but it's back on top now. You could see things building last season; it's gone miles clear now. Managerial quality is the biggest reason for that IMO. 

And when you look around Europe - Juve too old, Bayern nothing special, PSG will never understand how to build a genuine team, Madrid a bunch of mercenaries, Atletico way too old, Barca very good but not what they were, Inter and Milan way way off what's required, Ronaldo and Messi both getting on a bit now - it's hard to see anything other than England pulling away at the top. Especially as Ajax' side will, sadly, surely be taken apart in the summer. 

Interesting. 

Spanish teams have been dominate and even this season regularly schooled English teams. 

Bayern and Juve do need to rebuild, but I think in regards to Juve you are doing Ajax a disservice. They have been brilliant. 

Madrid could be in bother. 

Liverpool / Barca will be interesting. 

Direct/ speed, vibrancy v possession, technique and Messi. 

Barca have taken apart man utd and spurs, did Valancia not also beat Man Utd?

It could be a Barca /Spurs final quite easily and if that's the case, England will need to wait to conquer Europe. 

I think you are jumping the gun regards to England dominating, but they have improved over the past two seasons and the managers are a good point you bring up, the best are going to England. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

chester copperpot
10 hours ago, Boab said:

I’ll take that as my banker home !

?

:lol:

guaranteed

edit* must check the results beforehand 

*edit again. Seems Morgan got it wrong again :lol:

Morgan, any chance you can predict a Celtic final win please as that's pretty much us won it!

Edited by chester copperpot

shaun.lawson
7 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Liverpool / Barca will be interesting. 

Yes, very. Because both sides are very high in quality and extremely well balanced - meaning it should be one for the purists. It's a coinflip IMO. Just as the other semi is: where I wonder how Ajax will handle being away from home in the first leg, but equally wonder whether Spurs will have 11 fit players to start with!

Quality and a bit of a chess match in the first semi, chaos/drama in the second semi, I think. But that doesn't mean the side emerging from the chaotic "defence, what defence?" semi has no chance in the final. In a one-off game, as 2012, 2005, 1999 and other occasions have taught us, anything can happen.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Yes, very. Because both sides are very high in quality and extremely well balanced - meaning it should be one for the purists. It's a coinflip IMO. Just as the other semi is: where I wonder how Ajax will handle being away from home in the first leg, but equally wonder whether Spurs will have 11 fit players to start with!

Quality in the first semi, chaos/drama in the second semi, I think. But that doesn't mean the side emerging from the chaotic "defence, what defence?" semi has no chance in the final. In a one-off game, as 2012, 2005, 1999 and other occasions have taught us, anything can happen.

Yip, but really can't see Spurs winning it. 

Barcelona destroyed them in the group stages for one. Or should I say Messi did. 

Having watched Ajax a few times, if they continue that form they will cause anyone problems. 

shaun.lawson
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yip, but really can't see Spurs winning it. 

Barcelona destroyed them in the group stages for one. Or should I say Messi did. 

Having watched Ajax a few times, if they continue that form they will cause anyone problems. 

If I was setting the odds for tournament winners, I'd go with something like:

Liverpool/Barca 7/4 CF

Tottenham 4/1

Ajax 9/2

But that doesn't mean Ajax can't win it. Heading into the semis, the least likely side on paper won this in 2012 and 2007. And this season's edition is so crazy, it deserves a crazy outcome too.

12 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

guaranteed

edit* must check the results beforehand 

*edit again. Seems Morgan got it wrong again :lol:

Morgan, any chance you predict a Celtic final win  please as that's pretty much us won it!

@Olly Lee's left boot already asked me to do that on Wednesday night.  With heavy heart I did so. You’ll find it on Wednesday nights CL thread.

Not doing it again, even for you.  :wink:

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

@Olly Lee's left boot already asked me to do that on Wednesday night.  With heavy heart I did so. You’ll find it on Wednesday nights CL thread.

Not doing it again, even for you.  :wink:

Haha. You're the best poster on here mate. 

Apart fi me ;)

Dunno why I said that now but I always look out for your posts. You're a good 'un. 

Mon the Celts ;)

4 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Apart fi me ;)

Dunno why I said that now but I always look out for your posts. You're a good 'un. 

Mon the Celts ;)

Cheers Chester. :thumbsup:

Away ra Tims!  :wink:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Apart fi me ;)

Mon the Celts ;)

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

youve-taken-that-too-far.jpg

18 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

C'mon Barcelona. Messi is the greatest!

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Apart fi me ;)

Mon the Celts ;)

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

4 hours ago, Morgan said:

"ROOM SERVICE!!!"

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

"ROOM SERVICE!!!"

I think we both need a nurse as well!!

Sickening behaviour.

chester copperpot