Sean Clare

braveheart

jamboinglasgow

he just improves week on week. A well taken penalty.

Think after this season of getting used to the league and building himself up from long term injury he will be a different level next season.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Bridge of Djoum

• Inch Hearts

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

he just improves week on week. A well taken penalty.

Think after this season of getting used to the league and building himself up from long term injury he will be a different level next season.

If he keeps going on this upward trajectory he will be back in the English Championship and we will be sitting with money in the bank. Another shrewd signing by the management.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Dr Ian Malcolm

Best player on the pitch tonight, followed closely by Djoum.

Now showing what Levein was telling everyone he was good at - breaking from midfield and running with the ball - more than once this season he's absolutely burned past players like they weren't there.

It's almost as if a regular run of games in his best position has seen him improve. Who knew?

Actually doing a pre-season having settled in properly could see him become a very, very good player next season as well.

Edited by Dr Ian Malcolm

He's become an important player in recent games. Starting to look the part. Wighton seems to be following a similar path potentially. Small improvements and growing confidence with each game. 

6 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Now showing what Levein was telling everyone he was good at - breaking from midfield and running with the ball - more than once this season he's absolutely burned past players like they weren't there.

It's almost as if a regular run of games in his best position has seen him improve. Who knew?

Actually doing a pre-season having settled in properly could see him become a very, very good player next season as well.

Recently Clare and Djoum have been in our top 3 best players week after week.

tartofmidlothian
6 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Uche was outstanding too, despite the pen.

Well played, Sean Clare. Head and shoulders MOTM last night, second place goes to Jake Mulraney for me. Djoum played well, too. 

Uche got the second of the MOTM awards, iirc, but I thought too often  his greed cost us (summed up by his penalty), too many times his second touch was a tackle (luckily the Partick player shat it more often than not and he kept possession) and, whilst accepting he gets fouled a lot, he actually does fall like a little girl at times.

5 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Well played, Sean Clare. Head and shoulders MOTM last night, second place goes to Jake Mulraney for me. Djoum played well, too. 

Uche got the second of the MOTM awards, iirc, but I thought too often  his greed cost us (summed up by his penalty), too many times his second touch was a tackle (luckily the Partick player shat it more often than not and he kept possession) and, whilst accepting he gets fouled a lot, he actually does fall like a little girl at times.

My mum loves Mulraney & Clare. ❤❤

20190311_233926.jpg

Bindy Badgy

Should be taking every penalty for now on. It's the first time in God only knows how long that we've dispatched one confidently.

Sean Clare is who we should be building the team round next season. Oozes class. 

Read through this from page 1 to 5 and the differences in opinion from the first page to last are mental :lol:. Without trying to jinx it and see him go on a run of shite performances now, this is a good example of why people need to actually give players a chance before judging them.

Alex Kintner
10 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Read through this from page 1 to 5 and the differences in opinion from the first page to last are mental :lol:. Without trying to jinx it and see him go on a run of shite performances now, this is a good example of why people need to actually give players a chance before judging them.

:spoton:

There’s already posters writing off Vanecek :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, RS86 said:

This says a lot about our signing policy. We are prepared to take risks on players who aren’t currently demonstrating quality but we see something in them. Soutter was another example. The downside to this policy is some don’t turn it around. (Martin). 

We could play it safe and not take any of these risks - and never uncover a gem, or take some risks. Some work, some don’t. 

Some on here expect us not to take these risks and give manager pelters if he signs someone who doesn’t work out, but expect us to somehow assemble a team who can compete with teams with budgets 4 and 10 times ours. I’m happy to support the current policy and celebrate the gems and accept some signings won’t work out. 

Said from the beginning that I could see quality in Sean. Still a long way to go but he can improve a lot.

33 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Sean Clare is who we should be building the team round next season. Oozes class. 

He does but (and I think he's getting there) has to apply his 'class' consistently . 

Don't care what people say , Martin is a very good footballer . Just not suited to , not just us , the Scottish game .

Greek guy , Tsiolis (?) , looked a great player but he , very obviously didn't like it up him .

Interesting if Clare plays today . Shitty weather and at Hamilton ? Not necessarily his kind of game (or anybody elses) . Application will be key

Edited by johnthomas
Afterthought

23 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Agree to an extent though Clare was always a bit of an anomaly given his footballing background. His lack of game time at any sort of senior level suggested he could come on leaps and bounds to fulfil his potential. Often we pluck out players who have 100s of professional games under their belt and hope they'll come good when the evidence suggests they won't.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-sean-clare-i-m-so-grateful-to-craig-levein-for-sticking-with-me-1-4890310

Hearts’ Sean Clare: I’m so grateful to Craig Levein for sticking with me

Sean Clare has thanked Craig Levein for keeping faith with him through the difficult early months of his Hearts career.

The 22-year-old former Sheffield Wednesday midfielder signed for the Tynecastle club in September amid a wave of hype, but took some time to make his presence felt in a maroon jersey, leaving many supporters underwhelmed. Although he has not yet hit top gear on a consistent basis, there has been a notable upturn in Clare’s productivity in recent months. The attacking midfielder has become a regular starter and has scored four goals in his last 12 games, including three match-winners.

Levein said on Thursday that Clare was “a bit of a project for us and gradually with games he’s starting to prove his worth” before predicting that he will be “a really good player in the next year or two.” The Londoner has been reassured by the belief his manager has shown in him and feels his ongoing backing was crucial to helping him overcome a sticky start to his Hearts career.

“That’s one of the main reasons I came here, I knew the manager and staff would back me even if things weren’t going to plan,” said Clare. “It was always going to be difficult coming up to a different style of football with an injury, and the manager understood that and he has really shown faith in me, as have all the staff.

“Without that, things may not be where they are now, I may not have been able to progress. So I am thankful and appreciative of it and hopefully I can keep repaying him.”

Clare’s match-winning goals against Dundee and Partick Thistle over the past week have injected some fresh impetus into Hearts’ season after a frustrating six-game run in which their only victory came against Auchinleck Talbot. The 1-0 triumph at Dens Park last Saturday kept the Edinburgh side within striking distance of Aberdeen and Kilmarnock in the battle for a Europa League spot, while Tuesday’s 2-1 victory over Thistle served to set up a Scottish Cup semi-final showdown with Championship side Inverness Caledonian Thistle. The remainder of the season is now alive with possibilities for Hearts after a period when things looked to be fizzling out.

“It has been a good week for the team and that is the main thing, getting the three points and getting through to a semi final,” said Clare ahead of today’s trip to Hamilton Accies. “It is massive for us at this time in the league and massive for the club to get a good day out at Hampden – the boys are happy.

“I wouldn’t really call it a form dip before – we just weren’t grinding out the results that we needed to. The last few games we have shown we have a bit more resilience than we maybe have shown in the past and that is really important if we want to progress in the league and in the cup. We have turned a new page and hopefully we can keep that going.

“The aim is to get into Europe through the league. The cup would be another great option if we could go on and win it, but that’s a difficult thing to do. I feel we just have to try and win every league game we can rather than focus on the cup.

“All the games coming up now are very important. We have closed the gap on the teams above us over the past few weeks and we need to keep putting points on the board now, so these next games are massive. We are playing with a bit more composure and steel, and if we can keep that up until the end of the season we’ll have a great chance of moving up the league. We want to get to the final and we want to get into Europe – that’s the minimum we are looking for. But we know there’s a long way to go and it’s going to be difficult, we need to keep working hard and progressing.”

Clare is heartened by the fact his team seem to be coping better without the injured Steven Naismith than they did during his two-month absence earlier in the season. “Obviously, losing a big player like Naisy is difficult for any team and unfortunately the last time we also lost some other big players,” said Clare. “Now we have a few of them back and although we have lost Naisy we have definitely grown as a team and are stronger as a team in terms of blocking teams out and sticking together when things are tough. That will benefit us in the later stages of the season.”

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

What is his "shot in the arm" goal celebration about? It is like it is made to mock the Hobos. 

He uses his forearm to signal his aunties initials or something as she died recently 

9 minutes ago, PB21 said:

He uses his forearm to signal his aunties initials or something as she died recently 

I thought he was pointing to the ice in his veins.

• 1 month later...

A player who has taken a lot of stick, but also received a lot of backing on here. Some of the backing becoming quite smug when he had a couple of decent performances. Some even claimed he was a legend in the making (seriously).

How do those who were all in on him currently feel? Genuine question. I want him to succeed (like any player), but think he has been an absolute failure (considering we broke the budget for him, per Levein). 

I very rarely hammer players, but I genuinely think hes pish. The heart of a mouse, and just shite. 

I know a lot of people rate him, but for me hes not good enough. All this give him a pre season, hes been injured etc, you have to show desire, passion and effort, and for me hes sorely lacking. 

1 minute ago, daftie said:

I very rarely hammer players, but I genuinely think hes pish. The heart of a mouse, and just shite. 

I know a lot of people rate him, but for me hes not good enough. All this give him a pre season, hes been injured etc, you have to show desire, passion and effort, and for me hes sorely lacking. 

There is a player there somewhere, but I've lost count of the amount of times he's been largely anonymous in games since he's come in. Good pen taker, 2 well taken goals against Livingston and Killie, and half decent when running at the opposition. Need much, much more from him next season. 

Just now, daftie said:

Yip.   We can direct our grievances at many angles just now but if it’s solely at the players then Clare is example of a few of our players.

Week after week we ask for more bravery, players to impose more but it never comes. They simply don’t ‘have it’, mate. 

As a team ,we first and foremost don’t get the juices flowing with graft or hard work. 

If you do, everything else flows. Your game kicks in, everything you do is sharper or quicker. You’re in the game.

Killie are a great example of what we used to be. They got a second wind and snatched a winner because they’d set their own tone and fought to get it back after dropping off for a spell.  

Clare did not do OK when he came on. He did heehaw. Lee was also crap but Clare had a couple of chances to break forward and do something. He also had a similar moment against Hibs and invariably makes the wrong choice. 

Scary that he was even mentioned in the same breath as Mickey Cameron. He couldn’t lace his boots never mind fill them !

15 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Thought he did ok when he came on. Lee on the other hand :facepalm:

Both were awful. I put in more speed and effort walking to my car after the match.

Burford Jamtart

He is dreadful, game after game does absolutely nothing.  Not helped being surrounded by little to play off but just don’t see anything to get me excited.  

2 minutes ago, Burford Jamtart said:

He is dreadful, game after game does absolutely nothing.  Not helped being surrounded by little to play off but just don’t see anything to get me excited.  

This - don’t see the player some see. 

Pans Jambo

Seems Hearts supporters are quite happy with mediocre players nowadays. 

3 biggest club with the 6th best squad. 

All good though. Get Lee & Wighton on eh...

scotty2442

Clare seems to be the easy target, but the entire 11 out there tonight are awful

Clare will never be a standout player in a struggling team that play hoof ball, however get him in a team that plays with confidence and plays ball to feet then I think we’ll see a player, however I don’t think we’ll see that under CL 

Jambof3tornado

Clare is a lazy shite. Several balls near him....zero effort to get there.

Yet to see him have a good 90 minutes.

This guy just isn't a Hearts player for me. All the attributes but will never perform for us. Expensive mistake. 

jack D and coke

Just shows little appetite to really get on the ball and try do something. Jogs around on the periphery and 9 times out of ten produces absolutely nowt. 

He’s not alone in this Hears team but he’s a poor player most of the time. 

14 minutes ago, stotty said:

This guy just isn't a Hearts player for me. All the attributes but will never perform for us. Expensive mistake. 

Another one

Considering we “broke the budget” for him, he laughably bad. Absolutely terrible.

People have said this guy is a future Hearts legend ???