Favourite and least favourite cities

Locky

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

In what way? (Not in a good one, I suspect...)

I'm interested as we're just back from there and REALLY liked it. I've been to quite a few Spanish cities and places - including the islands of La Palma and La Gomera - and found Málaga to be very interesting, enjoyable, and characterful.

Cadiz is also very definitely on my "to do" list.

Cadiz  is the Spanish equivalent of Portsmouth. Large Spanish naval academy in Cadiz. There is a lot of history in the city. I saw Cadiz  play Real Madrid there way back in 1981. Real Madrid won 3-1.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Locky

• The Real Maroonblood

• AlphonseCapone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 07/03/2019 at 11:06, cosanostra said:

Cafe Schwarzenberg, Cafe Sacher Wien and Cafe Central. 

Those were the 3 grandest, fanciest and most impressive that i saw. Sacher Wien is probably the most famous and home of the sachertorte. They all sell beer too. Beer, coffee and cakes are a damn fine combination. 

Went to Vienna and did both Cafe Sacher & Cafe Central, prefered Cafe Central tbh.

Vienna is lovely, really good, we were staying near the Palais Liechtenstein and cut through the park/gardens everyday, it was only 25-30 minute walk right into the centre of town.

5 minutes walk along the road from our hotel was the Beaver Brewing Company, super, stopped off everyday on our way back from exploring Vienna and partook in tasting some, well, most of their beer, excellent, food was ok as well.

Had what I can only describe as one of the best hot dogs (spicy) I've ever had at one of the small permanent kiosks just off the main street located near to St. Stephen's Cathedral, mmmmm delicious.

Had a good time and can recommend Vienna, it is really nice.

Just back from northern Spain and was very impressed by both Santiago de Compostela and Oviedo. I'd been to both before - Oviedo very briefly and SdC for the day - but this was my first time actually staying in either city.

Oviedo has a compact, medieval, city-centre which is enjoyable to explore and a relaxed, laid-back, feel to it. The locals seemed very friendly and welcoming: I spoke to a few who had been to Scotland ("Just like Asturias...!") and had enjoyed themselves here. There is really nice countryside around Oviedo too, with interesting towns and villages, hills, rivers, and forests, and it'd make a good base for exploring central Asturias.

We were very pleasantly surprised by how friendly and inexpensive Santiago de Compostela was: it is a very busy tourist destination, with many thousands of "peregrinos" (people walking the Camino de Santiago) and other visitors arriving there during the spring, summer, and autumn months. I'd expected the locals to be a bit jaded and fed-up with this, and for bars and restaurants to be much more expensive than elsewhere because of this, but this wasn't our experience at all. It is also a really beautiful and historic city which is great to explore on foot.

An honourable mention also to Ribadeo, a large town / small city, on the Galician side of the river Eo, which forms part of the boundary with Asturias. A nice wee place, with plenty to see and do around it.

Great and very reasonably-priced food and wine to be had in all of the above, particularly if you eat and drink where the locals do.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Love: Trondheim, Ålesund, Edinburgh, Stockholm

Like: Bergen, San Francisco, Salzburg, Reykjavik, Rotterdam

Meh: LA, Birmingham, Aberdeen

annushorribilis III

Like - Rome , New York, Maastricht , Gent

Hate - Stoke on Trent, Katmandu (still better than Stoke) , Rotterdam

Meh - San Francisco, Amsterdam , Birmingham 

On 05/03/2019 at 16:56, AlphonseCapone said:

One of the best experiences I've ever had, 9 days and we covered 1800 miles. 

Just come across this thread, not got past your post yet so not sure if I have posted yet but here's me and the wife's trip across Oz back in 2004.

Midlife crisis, hit 40, packed our jobs in and fecked of round the world for a year. Hong Kong for a week then we spent 3 months in Sydney then bought a campervan and travelled for 6 months doing 27,000km then back to Sydney for another couple of months before heading to LA and NY.

I wasn't keen on Sydney, the CBD anyway but some nice parts round about. I preferred Perth and Adelaide. Canberra is functional and sterile but has some amazing properties due to all the embassys there, Darwin as someone else mentioned is just mental.

1479094_10151860845330918_676154682_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Went to Vienna and did both Cafe Sacher & Cafe Central, prefered Cafe Central tbh.

Vienna is lovely, really good, we were staying near the Palais Liechtenstein and cut through the park/gardens everyday, it was only 25-30 minute walk right into the centre of town.

5 minutes walk along the road from our hotel was the Beaver Brewing Company, super, stopped off everyday on our way back from exploring Vienna and partook in tasting some, well, most of their beer, excellent, food was ok as well.

Had what I can only describe as one of the best hot dogs (spicy) I've ever had at one of the small permanent kiosks just off the main street located near to St. Stephen's Cathedral, mmmmm delicious.

Had a good time and can recommend Vienna, it is really nice.

In a recent survey, I believe that Vienna was ranked the world's most liveable city.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Forgot to add a place I dislike - Gibraltar, what a shithole despite the cheap alcohol.

The Little Englander's Little England (or at least that's how it's always come across to me...).

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Doctor FinnBarr
On 14/03/2019 at 19:00, Auld Reekin' said:

In what way? (Not in a good one, I suspect...)

I'm interested as we're just back from there and REALLY liked it. I've been to quite a few Spanish cities and places - including the islands of La Palma and La Gomera - and found Málaga to be very interesting, enjoyable, and characterful.

Cadiz is also very definitely on my "to do" list.

We did Malaga when we were staying in Torremolinos, wasn't overly keen on the place so just decided to have brekkie then jump on the train back, turned a corner on the way back to the station and found the Barca bus parked up outside a hotel with a rapidly growing crowd. Got a nice pic of the Mrs in her Hearts shirt doing a 5-1 with the bus.

2 hours ago, Jambomb said:

Favourites - New York, Chicago, Goteburg, Madrid 

hated : Cairo, Istanbul

scared shitless Maracaibo Venezuela 

I haven’t been but both people that I know who’ve been to Venezuela have had guns pointed at them. Not for me, Clive. 

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We did Malaga when we were staying in Torremolinos, wasn't overly keen on the place so just decided to have brekkie then jump on the train back, turned a corner on the way back to the station and found the Barca bus parked up outside a hotel with a rapidly growing crowd. Got a nice pic of the Mrs in her Hearts shirt doing a 5-1 with the bus.

Malaga > Torremolinos x1000000*

(*For me, anyway, having been to both, albeit with a 37-year gap between the two visits. Anyway, each to their own, and whatever floats your boat...)

Doctor FinnBarr
42 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Malaga > Torremolinos x1000000*

(*For me, anyway, having been to both, albeit with a 37-year gap between the two visits. Anyway, each to their own, and whatever floats your boat...)

Torre is ok at the old town/station side of things, its only when you get down the front it turns British

Like - San Francisco, Sydney and Prague. 

Not fussed - Dublin, London and Paris. 

Love - Edinburgh 

Really dislike - Rotterdam 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

On 20/09/2019 at 17:37, Boof said:

Love: Trondheim, Ålesund, Edinburgh, Stockholm

Like: Bergen, San Francisco, Salzburg, Reykjavik, Rotterdam

Meh: LA, Birmingham, Aberdeen

Just "like"? I think Bergen may be one of the most beautiful cities ive ever been to 

10 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Just "like"? I think Bergen may be one of the most beautiful cities ive ever been to 

It is, and I used to love it but *irony alert* there's too many tourists there these days.

Seymour M Hersh

People liking San Francisco obviously have not been there in the last few years. A once fabulous city being destroyed by left/liberal progressives. 

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

People liking San Francisco obviously have not been there in the last few years. A once fabulous city being destroyed by left/liberal progressives. 

Aye...1985 for me...

• 4 years later...
highlandjambo3

Thought I’d bump this thread as I’m off to Marrakesh in March for a week……just wanted some opinions on the place……..

We like the hustle & bustle of the market type places…..we like to try local foods so looking forward to their food stalls etc.  Going to hire a car for a couple of days, what’s a must see/avoid places to go etc.  don’t really fancy a group tour as we like to do our own thing.

Is their main currency euros or Moroccan dollars (or both) 

Any advice would be appreciated