***Official Partick Thistle v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Make or break point for our season starts now. Some great stuff and some shit in the league over the past few months, but we're six points off third and if we play like Wednesday from now on we can close that gap. Our players and management are more than good enough, they just need to show us regularly.

As for the cup, I'm sure Partick will give us a good game but I'll stick my neck out and say there's no way we should be losing this tie, so I'll go for a 2-0 win. If there are no injuries from Celtic I'll go for

Zlamal

Godinho - Berra - Souttar - Garuccio

Djoum - Lee - Haring - Clare

Naismith - Ikpeazu

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• kimosavi

• iantjambo

• Bazzas right boot

Captain Sausage

This game is absolutely critical to Levein. Win it and it’s two semi finals and 3/4/5 place finish in the league - I think that’ll be acceptable to most fans and Budge. 

If we lose this, the pressure will be massive as I think most fans will accept only 3rd if we lose out to Partick. 

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

This game is absolutely critical to Levein. Win it and it’s two semi finals and 3/4/5 place finish in the league - I think that’ll be acceptable to most fans and Budge. 

If we lose this, the pressure will be massive as I think most fans will accept only 3rd if we lose out to Partick. 

I don't think 5th in the league is acceptable to be honest, and I'm pretty sure Mrs Budge and CL have said already that 4th place and Europe was our minimum target for the season, I think they would agree. Even with our injuries that's been more than possible.

Am I right in saying 4th will get us Europe, unless a team below us wins the cup?

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I don't think 5th in the league is acceptable to be honest, and I'm pretty sure Mrs Budge and CL have said already that 4th place and Europe was our minimum target for the season, I think they would agree. Even with our injuries that's been more than possible.

Am I right in saying 4th will get us Europe, unless a team below us wins the cup?

I think you’re right. They changed the rule about finalists going to Europe after Gretna embarrassed us. 

Assuming Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen win the cup (likely), then a top 4 finish is sufficient. Although it’d mean starting in June probably. 

Partick have nothing to lose and with the pressure of of being bottom of the league forgotten for a while will have a real go at getting to the semi final. We should have too much for them whatever they do so I'm going for 3-0. Nothing less than a win is acceptable.

17 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I more see it as a game we want to win. It is a one off being the Cup. Others say this is where the competition properly starts. 

Then win the next game. 

It’s simply a great chance for us to progress.

Shocks happen and the warning is there from history though. The last thing I want to see is a slow, methodical start and half an hour in we are bemoaning a lack of threat.

We should be bursting at the seams ready to grab a great opportunity for another shot at a semi final. Playing with a bit freedom but at pace and sharp on the ball.

Theres no excuse. We have the players. 

Edited by Debut 4

tartofmidlothian
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Shocks happen and the warning is there from history though. The last thing I want to see is a slow, methodical start and half an hour in we are bemoaning a lack of threat.

We should be bursting at the seams ready to grab a great opportunity for another shot at a semi final. Playing with a bit freedom but at pace and sharp on the ball.

Play like we did against St Mirren and they might give us a massive shock. Play like we did against Celtic and we'll blow them away.

Clerry Jambo
31 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Make or break point for our season starts now. Some great stuff and some shit in the league over the past few months, but we're six points off third and if we play like Wednesday from now on we can close that gap. Our players and management are more than good enough, they just need to show us regularly.

As for the cup, I'm sure Partick will give us a good game but I'll stick my neck out and say there's no way we should be losing this tie, so I'll go for a 2-0 win. If there are no injuries from Celtic I'll go for

Zlamal

Djoum - Lee - Haring - Clare

Naismith - Ikpeazu

Certainly not ITK, but just by reading reports don't think Naisy or Clare will be fit, so

Zlamal

Morrison - Lee - Haring - Djoum

Ikpeazu Vanecek

11 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Play like we did against St Mirren and they might give us a massive shock. Play like we did against Celtic and we'll blow them away.

Yip.  We could get dragged into mediocrity if we don’t start with real intent.

We’ve struggled recently to break teams down who sit in. Some players switch off too easy and just go through the motions instead of fighting harder to find or create space. We just play in front of people. 

Even though we played well v Celtic, the truth is we are struggling to score goals, certainly from open play. It’s a big night for us. 

Captain Canada

The lack of goals is a real concern. We can't afford for them to score first as I think we'd then struggle to get two. 

I think we need someone right up alongside Uche and Keena deserves a chance as he's a great finisher. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone else feel this weekend is shite. Waiting until 515 on a Saturday for the first quarter final on an obscure channel 

Dont know what to think.  We are so frustrating.  Just scraping through will make me think we are just postponing our exit by one more game.

Please perform Hearts.

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

I think you’re right. They changed the rule about finalists going to Europe after Gretna embarrassed us. 

Assuming Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen win the cup (likely), then a top 4 finish is sufficient. Although it’d mean starting in June probably. 

14/15 by my research was the first time they done this, some time after hibs took the long dry Swedish Boaby from Malmo.

St Johnstone finished 4th in the Premiership and qualified after 3rd placed Inverness beat Falkirk in the Scottish Cup final. 

What the **** was going on in Scottish football that year? 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Spot on. We have to go for it from the off. The longer it stays goalless the more confident Thistle will get. We simply have to get out the traps....fast!

portobellojambo1

Concentrate from the start and stay focussed. We don't have to play brilliantly but we do have to achieve what is required in any cup tie, which is to be in the draw for the next round.

Looking forward to Hearts giving a team a right good pasting. And the Jags are that team. 0-6

Independence
8 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

We lose its a season ender for me, no excuses or sitting in, go for if from start with decent options on bench.

Really? Why? There are a lot of big games coming up we must win including 2 against the H1b5 (if they get in top six). I am sure we will beat the Jags but to say if we get best the season is over is ridiculous!

4 minutes ago, Independence said:

Really? Why? There are a lot of big games coming up we must win including 2 against the H1b5 (if they get in top six). I am sure we will beat the Jags but to say if we get best the season is over is ridiculous!

It would be a bitter, bitter blow and would probably spell the end for levein.

Tennant's  6's

Hoping for a storming start, none if this sideways passes and then hoof it up the park. 

I'd rest Berra for Dikamona in a back 4, if Naisy is out bring in Keena.

Would be good to see Cochrane off the bench if we're winning 2.0 or something.

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Just don't fancy us against anyone nowadays but we sbould beat Partick.....right?

?

3 hours ago, Independence said:

It is without doubt a season ender if we go out. 

Don't care how we win this one as long as we win and go into the next round 

We deserve a wee day at at Hampden 

55 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Just don't fancy us against anyone nowadays but we sbould beat Partick.....right?

Reckon it'll be a scrappy game with 1 goal in it

Big Uche with a late goal to go through 

gashauskis9
40 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Don't care how we win this one as long as we win and go into the next round 

We deserve a wee day at at Hampden 

This.  Worst thing we can do is assume this will be comfortable.  I hope Partick have a go as it’s become apparent that we can’t play attacking football when they have 11 men behind the ball.

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

It is without doubt a season ender if we go out. 

Agree with this. Who cares if we are 4th, 5th or 6th in the league?.

49 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Agree with this. Who cares if we are 4th, 5th or 6th in the league?.

I am sure AB will want us to finish as high up the table as possible if only for the extra revenue.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am sure AB will want us to finish as high up the table as possible if only for the extra revenue.

Correct. 

The White Cockade

have we heard any more about Naismith's injury?

Also Marcus Godinho looked to be struggling when he came off against Celtic

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Correct. 

Finishing 4th gets prize money of £1.72m compared to £1.48 for 6th so a difference of £240k.

That could be the wage of a decent player for two seasons.

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I do as well but compared to getting to hampden , hopefully for  a cup final, it excites me less.

Just now, The White Cockade said:

have we heard any more about Naismith's injury?

Also Marcus Godinho looked to be struggling when he came off against Celtic

Report in the EEN was suggesting CL was worrying about two midfieldfers fitness, Naismith and Clare. It is the same knee that he had the op on which was bothering him so not looking promising.

Clare apparently is not as doubtful as Naismith as his is more a tight muscle problem which was apparently why Mulraney wasn't quoted on Wednesday he was feeling his hamstrings.

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Report in the EEN was suggesting CL was worrying about two midfieldfers fitness, Naismith and Clare. It is the same knee that he had the op on which was bothering him so not looking promising.

Clare apparently is not as doubtful as Naismith as his is more a tight muscle problem which was apparently why Mulraney wasn't quoted on Wednesday he was feeling his hamstrings.

cheers mate

not sounding too good

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

cheers mate

not sounding too good

No but then the same paper said that Burns would be playing against Celtic on Wednesday.

Bridge of Djoum

I'd bench Berra, give him a rest. He has been pretty honking of late. Much improved V Celtic, though.

Keena must start. Bozanic deserves to start, also.

Straight 442, no ******* about. 3-1 Hearts.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We'll be in at least a semi and 4th at worst. 

Grandstand finish. 

When is the draw? Bit tight for time tomorrow