New Scottish football show “A View from the Terrace” Fridays @ 11pm - BBC Scotland

redm

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• been here before

been here before

Against my better judgement Im recording it even though I fully expect it to be a cross between Tam Cowans atrociously toe curling Offside and some sort of Old Firm TV channel.

gashauskis9

Struggling with the format, difficult to follow.  Just feels like a competition to mention as many club names as they can in half an hour.

Good luck to the boys, but not my cup of tea.

This is not great tbh too much jumping between teams and leagues think this will be the first and last time I watch this show sadly 

Well we are well represented. 2 or 3 of the blokes are hearts fan I'm sure. It's nothing great but it's good to have some content on tv that's not 90% old firm based. 1st episode so am willing to give it a try and see how it progresses.

They put the effort in, and fair play for not being an OF-centric show, but it feels laboured and disjointed. I’ve listened to the pod from time-to-time, and while I’m not really a fan, at least that flows and is more natural.

Why are people so quick to criticise?

I listened to Sportsound earlier and they spent another 40 minutes mourning the departure of Brendan Rodgers. In a 90 minute programme they finally got round to mentioning the Thistle v Hearts game with 4 minutes to go and spent most of that time discussing a Thistle player who eats eggs even though he doesn't like them.

This was a very refreshing change! 

Not all about the Old Firm. Lots of informative chat about the lower leagues. Tons of stuff packed in. Totally different from anything else I've seen.

If you missed it it should be available on iPlayer.

gashauskis9
3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

The podcast is tremendous so I’m sure the show will turn out a success too

I really like the podcast, just feels a bit laboured on tv.

Thought Police
Just now, gnasher75 said:

They’re miserable

julienbrellier
3 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I listened to Sportsound earlier and they spent another 40 minutes mourning the departure of Brendan Rodgers. In a 90 minute programme they finally got round to mentioning the Thistle v Hearts game with 4 minutes to go and spent most of that time discussing a Thistle player who eats eggs even though he doesn't like them.

Not all about the Old Firm. Lots of informative chat about the lower leagues. Tons of stuff packed in. Totally different from anything else I've seen.

they're clueless

5 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Promising start if a little lightweight during the first part that I caught (up to mascot man). Hope they have the courage to tackle serious topics too in future programmes.

Full disclosure, one my best mates is the producer so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I think it's class to have all leagues represented in an informed way. It is still an after the pub format so it will be light, like the podcast but I think it's great that the BBC are willing to take a chance on a football programme that doesn't focus on the uglies. And on the song.....more to see in future episodes ;)

adambraejambo

I liked it. They Obv can't say half the stuff they say in podcasts but was still good to see Scottish football (all Scottish football not just Glasgow 2) getting spoken about. Refreshing change although still lots of room for improvement. I laughed more at the mascot and his shorts more than I have at any OAE scene from the last few years. Also enjoyed the Cowdenbeath section. That's BBC Alba and now this that put main BBC sports team to shame for coverage and way they report. 

Thought it was excellent. The podcast is brilliant and like people say, it’s refreshing to have a Scottish football show with 95% of the content being about the other 40 clubs. Just wish they’d stop bullying that Joel guy. Boy is trying his best and is unintentionally the funniest person on the show. More power to them and hopefully they become even bigger. 

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Against my better judgement Im recording it even though I fully expect it to be a cross between Tam Cowans atrociously toe curling Offside and some sort of Old Firm TV channel.

Those lads will never be OF centric. 

Podcast is very good.

Thought the first show was fine with room for improvement.

Good to have a new scottish football tv show with different faces and opinions.

Folk who are slating it will no doubt be slating BBC sportsound/sky sports next week too for having the usual ex old firm players on. 

AlphonseCapone

Was decent enough for the first show. Agree with folk about it being good listening to chat about all of Scottish football and not just the old firm. Enjoyed hearing about some of the lower league. 

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Offside was brilliant. 

Quite amusing reading this thread. 

Those that watched it seemed to enjoy it.

Those that didn't think it's Shit.

The JKB way  :rofl:

letsalldothebeattie

Not seen it yet. Got it recorded will watch it later today hoping it’s a good watch we need more coverage of the game up here on telly

Baking Empire biscuits

:facepalm:

Must we turn everything into kids play? For **** sake what is it next week? Andy Consadine with the Singing Kettle?

Hope Graham Spiers will tinkle the ivories.

Thought it was excellent for the first show. Will only improve too as the guys become more relaxed in front if the camera and things will then naturally flow a bit better.

Highlight was the mascot segment. When he was standing there and the bairns were throwing wee footballs at him. 

Looking forward to tuning in next week ?

Nookie Bear

Scottish football being covered on terrestrial TV...unless it’s a total Weeg-Fest then we have to support it, no?

been here before

Canned it after 26 minutes. The content was okish. At least the lower leagues get a look in but a couple of those presenters are as irritating as ****. Trying a bit too hard for the bantz.

Pretending to be sitting in someones house was an idea 30 years ago on Fantasy Football but now?

That bit about the biscuits? 

Cameras jumping about, out of focus shots, wonky angles might be trendy and edgy but to the point where they are close to inducing a seizure? 

Might give it another bash though but wouldnt go out my road.

Psychedelicropcircle

Funny when you have to put faces to voices! Fowler looks like one of those street buskers that’s doing it not for the money but because they think they have talent?

No barbers where you come from boi  ✂️

Decent show thou?

Harry Potter

Eight minutes in and Hearts ripped in to a couple of times, about some recent results, cant see me

lasting long with this.

32 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Eight minutes in and Hearts ripped in to a couple of times, about some recent results, cant see me

lasting long with this.

Thats what happens when you get an honest, and slightly tongue in cheek, assessment of Scottish football. Hit and miss but great that the West coast was largely ignored and the format has potential. 

Harry Potter
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Thats what happens when you get an honest, and slightly tongue in cheek, assessment of Scottish football. Hit and miss but great that the West coast was largely ignored and the format has potential. 

Craig Fowler does not like us, hobo by any chance.

been here before
38 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

lasting long with this.

Surely you're not that precious?

been here before
11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

English/ Scottish please.

What is it you're struggling with?

Harry Potter
Just now, been here before said:

What is it you're struggling with?

Ha Ha, not me, mind the days of Tam Cowan ripping in to Hearts every week , no doubt you thought

that was good banter, i dont.

Psychedelicropcircle
33 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Craig Fowler does not like us, hobo by any chance.

Jambo.

JamboGraham

The podcast was regularly recommended to me and I gave it a few goes. Being honest I struggled with an hour of chat where much of it was about players, teams, matches and results that I had little knowledgeable or awareness of. I know that we always speak of a desire for less Celtic/Rangers main stream media coverage but how many of us actually mean ‘more Hearts’ rather than wider coverage of the game in general?

Being honest that’s really what I am always after along with a bit more detail on our immediate rivals in the top flight. I am certainly not going to get overly interested in any debate about “Ayr losing their way” or “Peterhead winning League 2”.

The guys certainly know their stuff and they will get an audience. The transition from radio TV is rarely an immediate success, they often take time to build. I suspect that the transfer from podcast to TV might be even tougher.

Good luck to them...