Is the BBC becoming a propaganda platform?

Greenbank2

I'm usually a fan of the BBC but my interest has be piqued by, what seems to be growing, reports of bias. I saw a report on a US website which was promoting the narrative of London being one of the developed worlds most violent cities. It linked to this article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6748477/Teenage-schoolboy-stabbed-outside-London-Tube-station.html

which highlights 4 separate stabbings on Tuesday afternoon this week. Now I'm no fan of the Daily Mail, but have no reason to doubt the facts as reported. But I saw NOTHING on the national news and can find NOTHING on the BBC website - even querying their London section. It may be there, but I can't find it amidst the articles on Stacey Dooley, comic relief "celebs", graffitti artists, David Hockney fire rescue etc. All very newsworthy I'm sure.

I know that knife crime has been highlighted, but do examples like this suggest the BBC is becoming (more of) a propaganda machine? Have they become desensitized to these type of violent episodes or are they burying them in an attempt to promote a positive image?

Thunderstruck

There have been very frequent broadcast articles on knife crime on BBC and it is certainly not guilty of hiding or minimising the issue. 

Last night it was Birmingham, this morning it was London. 

There have even even been recent panel discussions on the topic including the controversial halting of ‘Stop and Search’. 

AlphonseCapone

The BBC has been a propaganda vehicle since its inception. Most media outlets are in one way or another. That's why you should read as many as possible, the truth will be somewhere in between them all. 

Strangely, I read recently that Glasgow has a higher knife crime rate than London, yet all we seem to hear about in the news (including the BBC as shown above) is London's battle with the problem.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Strangely, I read recently that Glasgow has a higher knife crime rate than London, yet all we seem to hear about in the news (including the BBC as shown above) is London's battle with the problem.

Glasgow used to be the worst in Europe but it got its act together ; https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/membership/2017/dec/03/how-scotland-reduced-knife-deaths-among-young-people

Maybe that's reversed but I'd be surprised. 

20 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Glasgow has dealt with their knife problem. 

44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

And wtf is behind the thread title? 

Nothing more than a discussion with a friend who now lives in Asia and reflected to me that he felt that there was an increasing lack of substance and depth to normally reliable news sources. After the link to the DM article, I queried  "London Knife Crime" on the BBC site and got nothing meaningful. Clearly my ineptitude!

5 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Tory propaganda machine, look at its handling of Corbun and the lies they have made about him. 

What lies have the BBC told about Jeremy Corbyn?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I always feels sorry for the BBC. On any given day you’ve got people accusing it of being too left wing and too right wing, which probably means it’s neither. They do loads of quality output and when it comes to politics, they’re covering a load of duplicitous politicians. It’s a tough gig.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Tory propaganda machine, look at its handling of Corbun and the lies they have made about him. 

All I see is coverage of the lies Corbyn tells himself 

maroonlegions
58 minutes ago, Darren said:

There is always one,

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: 1 person, drawing

Google is your friend.  

The BBC HAVE in the past admitted, "unfair" and "misleading" news reports ect on Cotrbyn. Just ask Laura Kuenssberg.

18 Jan 2017 - BBC Trust says Laura Kuenssberg report on Corbyn was inaccurate ... The News at Six item included a clip of the Labour leader stating: “I am not happy ... of bias or of intent on the part of the senior BBC journalist, however.

12 May 2016 - BBC may be biased against Jeremy Corbyn, says former BBC Trust chairman ... whether BBC bosses had abandoned impartiality in their coverage of the Labour leader. ... A petition was launched calling for political editor Laura Kuenssberg to .... Fewer "in-house" BBC shows, except for news programmes.

8 Dec 2017 - case study examining the coverage of Jeremy Corbyn's speech on the 28th ... Was there an identifiable pattern of unfairness towards Corbyn ... by broadcast journalist Samira Ahmed, on BBC1 and the BBC News channel, ..... ITN, Laura Kuenssberg for BBC, Andy Bell for C5 Faisal Islam for Sky News).

Jeremy Corbyn according to the BBC - Lancaster University

2 May 2017 - Ken Loach Criticizes BBC's "Disgusting" Political Bias Ahead of U.K. Election ... in its political coverage and its negative portrayal of Jeremy Corbyn, the ... Political editor LauraKuenssberg, who has come under repeated fire ... claiming that biased coverage negatively affects the chance for real democracy.

maroonlegions
59 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

All I see is coverage of the lies Corbyn tells himself 

Of course you do in your smug cosy Tory world of impartiality.?

Lies ,ask your leader May about lying, your arrogance is breathtaking.?

Dont like it up do they ,  or when people pull them up and point out they aint squeaky clean..Tories that is.

Lies  aye...:cornette:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, maroonlegions said:

Of course you do in your smug cosy Tory world of impartiality.?

Lies ,ask your leader May about lying, your arrogance is breathtaking.?

Dont like it up do they ,  or when people pull them up and point out they aint squeaky clean..Tories that is.

Lies  aye...:cornette:

I’m not a Tory you ****ing deviant :lol:

maroonlegions
Just now, Geoff the Mince said:

Corbyn is a reptile .

OOh , more reptiles in the BBC sweet heart, but you new that already. 

There is only one cold bloodied reptile mate, she is in your party. 

May cares for the poor, reptile  welfare polices, judge those on not what they spout or say, judge them on their actions, welfare,(in work too), actions of the last TEN years of austerity, look closer to home darling, for that is were you will find your reptiles. 

2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

There is always one,

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: 1 person, drawing

Google is your friend.  

The BBC HAVE in the past admitted, "unfair" and "misleading" news reports ect on Cotrbyn. Just ask Laura Kuenssberg.

18 Jan 2017 - BBC Trust says Laura Kuenssberg report on Corbyn was inaccurate ... The News at Six item included a clip of the Labour leader stating: “I am not happy ... of bias or of intent on the part of the senior BBC journalist, however.

12 May 2016 - BBC may be biased against Jeremy Corbyn, says former BBC Trust chairman ... whether BBC bosses had abandoned impartiality in their coverage of the Labour leader. ... A petition was launched calling for political editor Laura Kuenssberg to .... Fewer "in-house" BBC shows, except for news programmes.

8 Dec 2017 - case study examining the coverage of Jeremy Corbyn's speech on the 28th ... Was there an identifiable pattern of unfairness towards Corbyn ... by broadcast journalist Samira Ahmed, on BBC1 and the BBC News channel, ..... ITN, Laura Kuenssberg for BBC, Andy Bell for C5 Faisal Islam for Sky News).

Jeremy Corbyn according to the BBC - Lancaster University

2 May 2017 - Ken Loach Criticizes BBC's "Disgusting" Political Bias Ahead of U.K. Election ... in its political coverage and its negative portrayal of Jeremy Corbyn, the ... Political editor LauraKuenssberg, who has come under repeated fire ... claiming that biased coverage negatively affects the chance for real democracy.

You've not answered my question.

Governor Tarkin

*sigh*

Skipped to the end as soon as the copy and paste shite started.

Has he called anyone who deres to challenge him 'vile tory' yet?

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The BBC has been a propaganda vehicle since its inception. Most media outlets are in one way or another. 

Agreed.

I'd say that it's fundamentally impossible for any media outlet to remain absolutely impartial as everybody has an agenda of one flavour or another (except RT amirite?).

15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

*sigh*

Skipped to the end as soon as the copy and paste shite started.

Has he called anyone who deres to challenge him 'vile tory' yet?

Seriously though, is there any other kind of tory?

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

:lol:

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Aye, I could name some other varieties. But I won't!

Seymour M Hersh
On 28/02/2019 at 22:21, Darren said:

You've not answered my question.

I don't know why you entertain this lunatic. 

On 28/02/2019 at 18:52, Darren said:

Quite a few, but their real speciality is putting their friends on camera to do it for them.

Andrew Neil, Laura the fish and Newsnight spring to mind.

'The BBC is the glue that holds the union together' - one of their former Director General's. 

Of course it's a propaganda machine. Always has been. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Quite a few, but their real speciality is putting their friends on camera to do it for them.

Andrew Neil, Laura the fish and Newsnight spring to mind.

If there's "quite a few" then it shouldn't be too difficult to specify just one of them?

GlasgoJambo
On 28/02/2019 at 15:43, ri Alban said:

Glasgow has dealt with their knife problem. 

Mind when Frankie Vaughan sorted it in the 60s?

13 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

BBC is definitely biased.

Just never been able to determine which way.

:D

Just watched TRs Panodrama docu. Although nothing I never knew anyway it really is a wakeup call for the humanbots. Especially those that believe anyone who posts a #metoo on social media. Shame on anyone who does not question what they read on social media and watch on the MSM.

On 02/03/2019 at 10:57, GlasgoJambo said:

BBC is definitely biased.

Just never been able to determine which way.

It is almost 100% to the left. Anything righ of Marx is a Nazi. They are highly dangerous and quite frankly I will never believe another word their 'journalists' tell me. Their obsession with gender and race is pathetic, their affirmative action recruitment is socially unjust and their pandering to anything that is not a straight white British male makes me sick.

jambos are go!

Remember that many zealots across the political spectrum think that if any media outlet is not biased in favour of them then it is biased against them. The BBC is almost always at the top of their list. 

• 2 weeks later...
Jambo 4 Ever

Anyone else watching comic relief tonight?

all for a great cause but not that impressed with the show this year 

Roxy Hearts

Corrupt, brainwashing, anti Scottish, especially the SNP. It's the British establishment mouthpiece for the insecure and naive. 

maroonlegions

Not just the BBC.

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, text

Look closer and follow the money trail these men leave. Their donations and to whom??

License fee should be done away with and let the BBC stand on its own two feet with ad revenue like every other TV and News company. They're not special and shouldn't be treated differently, its also unreasonable to expect impartiality* which makes its position as a public news platform untenable.

*because every news outlet has leanings one way or the other.

The BBC is accused of bias by both those on the right and those on the left sides of politics.

To me, that shows that the BBC continues to do a decent job.  Not a perfect job, but a good job.

7 hours ago, Sydney said:

The BBC is accused of bias by both those on the right and those on the left sides of politics.

To me, that shows that the BBC continues to do a decent job.  Not a perfect job, but a good job.

:Aye: