U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

He surely won't claw back Arizona unless those counties that have declared nothing are total landslides

Even if they are, they really don't have much population. Maricopa County has like 62% of the state's population alone. The rest are peanuts.

Edit: and Pima county another 15%

Edited by Justin Z

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Even if they are, they really don't have much population. Maricopa County has like 62% of the state's population alone. The rest are peanuts.

Aye I know that's why I thought there isnt much chance of Trump hauling it back like he has done in other states

Edited by vegas-voss

Just now, jambostuart said:

Andrew Neil giving Democrats a grilling about not hammering Trump and being in difficulty. No good signs there...

As he should. The only one who ever stood up and called Trump exactly what he is: a racist, a homophobe, a sexist, utterly lacking in ethics or decency, was Bernie Sanders. And Democrats cared more about beating Bernie Sanders and disenfranchising the actual Left than they ever did about beating Donald Trump.

Here we are.

Just now, Justin Z said:

As he should. The only one who ever stood up and called Trump exactly what he is: a racist, a homophobe, a sexist, utterly lacking in ethics or decency, was Bernie Sanders. And Democrats cared more about beating Bernie Sanders and disenfranchising the actual Left than they ever did about beating Donald Trump.

Here we are.

So far it seems like the pollsters are worryingly incorrect but of course it won't be tonight it's decided. Trump's Twitter will be on fire over the next few days!

Just now, JyTees said:

Seems like Antifa have accepted the inevitable and are ready to wreak havoc upon the Capitol.

Democracy.

Those are certainly all words.

As of earlier today, The Economist poll had Trump with less than 1% chance of winning the popular vote, and less than 3% chance of winning the electoral college.

Another major fail by the pollsters.

Riddley Walker
3 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Seems like Antifa have accepted the inevitable and are ready to wreak havoc upon the Capitol.

Democracy.

:lol:

Got a link?

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Here we are.

The way I see it if Trump wins again all that indicates is the US has become happy with a dictatorial, corrupt, fascist like leadership. There is no other way Trump can win this.

How else can a population allow this to happen?

Because the more liberal candidate isn't far enough left for me I will allow the far right fascist to continue dismantling our democracy? That can't happen anywhere but in a fascist leaning state.

26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If Joe takes Arizona, he will be President. 

He doesn't need Arizona. 

He's on 108

Looks like he'll win another 162 EC votes bringing him to the magic total of 270 plus it looks like he will win the popular vote too. 

Edited by Cruyff

Kalamazoo Jambo
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

As of earlier today, The Economist poll had Trump with less than 1% chance of winning the popular vote, and less than 3% chance of winning the electoral college.

Another major fail by the pollsters.

The popular vote estimate is probably fair. It’s far too early to say about what will happen with the electoral college.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

He doesn't need Arizona. 

He's on 108

Looks like he'll win another 162 EC votes bringing him to the magic total of 270 plus it looks like he will win the popular vote. 

Joe? 

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

The way I see it if Trump wins again all that indicates is the US has become happy with a dictatorial, corrupt, fascist like leadership. There is no other way Trump can win this.

How else can a population allow this to happen?

Because the more liberal candidate isn't far enough left for me I will allow the far right fascist to continue dismantling our democracy? That can't happen anywhere but in a fascist leaning state.

It can and will happen in a third world country masquerading as a first world country, where millions have been living in abject poverty for years, and only had it exacerbated by a pandemic where all elected representatives from all parties providing a grand total of less than £1,000 to last the populace eight ****ing months.

This is the fault of Joe Biden and the Democratic establishment who have done **** all to help anyone this entire election season, and literally no one else.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He doesn't need Arizona. 

He's on 108

Looks like he'll win another 162 EC votes bringing him to the magic total of 270 plus it looks like he will win the popular vote too. 

Where do you see he is on 108? The bbc have him on 98

Just now, Tazio said:

Ohio is the biggy. 

Which is looking red... I am shocked it's as close as it is. But then after Brexit and him being voted in at all I probably shouldn't be...

My only remaining hope is that what folk have been saying on here about the on-day votes being counted before the postal votes and early votes is true.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

My only remaining hope is that what folk have been saying on here about the on-day votes being counted before the postal votes and early votes is true.

What people are saying will likely hold up to some extent, and this will cause all the chaos that we feared, because Trump is going to declare victory and claim any postal votes are fraud.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

What people are saying will likely hold up to some extent, and this will cause all the chaos that we feared, because Trump is going to declare victory and claim any postal votes are fraud.

More than likely.

2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Not really.

My understanding was that historically it’s a barometer for the final balance across the country. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, Tazio said:

My understanding was that historically it’s a barometer for the final balance across the country. 

it was but not in recent years. Pennsylvania is the real tipping state this time (assuming Michigan and Wisconsin also go Democratic).

4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Justin, why are some states being "declared" when there are still sufficient votes to be counted that could change the result? Do they not wait until it is mathematically impossible for the result to change?

BBC showing vastly different results so far to AP and Guardian... Are they behind in some way?

As an aside, Andrew Neil will be a massive loss to the BBC. He is undoubtedly one of the best journalists for the hard questions to politicians.

I should add, I disagree with his politics on a personal level, but respect him as a journalist...

Edited by jambostuart

Just now, redjambo said:

Justin, why are some states being "declared" when there are still sufficient votes to be counted that could change the result? Do they not wait until it is mathematically impossible for the result to change?

Since media outlets make these declarations, it's simply based on the confidence of their models and polling. There is no exact science going on.

Earlier in the night I saw Virginia declared for Biden when Trump was leading like 68-31 . . . and now it's back to grey on the map even though that lead is now 52-46 because the numbers they expected to come in for Biden, haven't to this point.

11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It can and will happen in a third world country masquerading as a first world country, where millions have been living in abject poverty for years, and only had it exacerbated by a pandemic where all elected representatives from all parties providing a grand total of less than £1,000 to last the populace eight ****ing months.

This is the fault of Joe Biden and the Democratic establishment who have done **** all to help anyone this entire election season, and literally no one else.

So, again, let's give the fascist more time to dismantle our democracy? That's the way to go?

BBC showing vastly different results so far to AP and Guardian... Are they behind in some way?

As an aside, Andrew Neil will be a massive loss to the BBC. He is undoubtedly one of the best journalists for the hard questions to politicians.

The answer I just gave redjambo also applies here.

Everyone's polling and modelling are different so they'll all be calling states at different rates and with different confidence at different times.

Captain Sausage

I wonder if certain people on this thread genuinely believe that ~50% of the voting public of America are fascist. 

Talking in such offensively black and white terms (Democrats good guys, Republicans bad guys) is likely a contributory factor to the disenfranchisement of many voters leading to them flocking to the golden idiot Trump (who sells himself as an outsider who is taking on the political elite). 

Just now, Justin Z said:

Since media outlets make these declarations, it's simply based on the confidence of their models and polling. There is no exact science going on.

Earlier in the night I saw Virginia declared for Biden when Trump was leading like 68-31 . . . and now it's back to grey on the map even though that lead is now 52-46 because the numbers they expected to come in for Biden, haven't to this point.

Ok, cheers.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

So, again, let's give the fascist more time to dismantle our democracy? That's the way to go?

If you think people who are not sure if they're going to have a roof over their head or food in their stomachs are even thinking about fascism or democracy, you are blessedly privileged and ought to thank whatever power you believe in—or just your luck in the universe—for it.

BBC have updated to 108 for Trump now. They were probably being cautious until they were confident they could call them. 

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm pinning my fading hopes to that. If they are overwhelmingly Dem as has been mooted then Pennsylvania, Michigan & Wisconsin are all still winnable with Arizona looking good too.

I can easily see Dump throwing his toys out the pram and declaring postal votes invalid.

2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I wonder if certain people on this thread genuinely believe that ~50% of the voting public of America are fascist. 

Talking in such offensively black and white terms (Democrats good guys, Republicans bad guys) is likely a contributory factor to the disenfranchisement of many voters leading to them flocking to the golden idiot Trump (who sells himself as an outsider who is taking on the political elite). 

:spoton:

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

BBC have updated to 108 for Trump now. They were probably being cautious until they were confident they could call them. 

Cheers - BBC have 118 for Biden, while Guardian and AP showing 135 . As you say, maybe being cautious, just seems strange they are slow to update

4 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Agree. Wholeheartedly. I'd also add taxes as a 'possible' key factor into that as well. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Agree. Wholeheartedly. I'd also add taxes as a 'possible' key factor into that as well. 

True, we are the literal dumbest people on the planet when it comes to understanding taxes.

5 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Fascists? Feck knows. Head injury, most likely. 

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Justin Amash with a glimmer to keep us interested

I'll take that glimmer.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Justin Amash with a glimmer to keep us interested

That’s not new news and the same will happen in PA and WI.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)