trex

Donald Trump

Cade

An American getting upset about pronunciation of the Queen's English is hilarious.

These ignorant colonial savages barely speak the language at all.

Edited by Cade

Maple Leaf

Even if Carlson did mispronounce the name, it's not as bad as his esteemed cult leader mispronouncing the "United Shaysh of America."

Justin Z
37 minutes ago, Cade said:

An American getting upset about pronunciation of the Queen's English is hilarious.

These ignorant colonial savages barely speak the language at all.

How Americans preserved British English

Shakespeare’s accent probably sounded more American than modern British

Where did the British accent come from? It started in the 1800s

Around the early 1800s that sort of accent became popular in southern England and along our East Coast and was thought to be quite proper and posh. That became Received Pronunciation.

In America the spread of industrialization shifted the power centers to the Midwest, which was largely settled by people of Scot-Irish heritage who still pronounced “r” as “r.”

:smuggy:

Au contraire—we ignorant colonial savages saved the true language of Northern Britain! :lol:

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

How Americans preserved British English

Shakespeare’s accent probably sounded more American than modern British

Where did the British accent come from? It started in the 1800s

Around the early 1800s that sort of accent became popular in southern England and along our East Coast and was thought to be quite proper and posh. That became Received Pronunciation.

In America the spread of industrialization shifted the power centers to the Midwest, which was largely settled by people of Scot-Irish heritage who still pronounced “r” as “r.”

:smuggy:

Au contraire—we ignorant colonial savages saved the true language of Northern Britain! :lol:

Yeh, but I'd bet most couldn't point out where Northern Britain was on a map, and lets not get started on the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain & England, that usually just fries the brain of your average American, well certainly most of the ones I've ever met.  :lol:

Justin Z
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, but I'd bet most couldn't point out where Northern Britain was on a map, and lets not get started on the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain & England, that usually just fries the brain of your average American, well certainly most of the ones I've ever met.  :lol:

The number of times I've been asked how Ireland's been treating me :facepalm:

Tazio
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

I did have a conversation with someone in a bar in the US who told me with great sincerity that there’d be no peace in Britain until the British took their tanks off the streets of Dublin. Bearing in mind my first trip to the US was in the late 1990’s. 

Justin Z
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I did have a conversation with someone in a bar in the US who told me with great sincerity that there’d be no peace in Britain until the British took their tanks off the streets of Dublin. Bearing in mind my first trip to the US was in the late 1990’s. 

😬

Speaking of high levels of American intelligence, and back on topic . . .

The Entire Presidency Is a Superspreading Event: Down in the polls, high on steroids, and clinging to good health while endangering everyone else’s.

"I could be one of the diers," [Trump] said.

The person on the other end of the line couldn’t forget that unusual word the president used: dier. A seldom-said dictionary standard, it was a classic Trumpism, at once sinister and childlike. If being a loser was bad, being a dier was a lot worse. Losers can become winners again. Diers are losers forever. But aren’t we all diers in the end? Donald Trump, the least self-reflective man in America, was contemplating his own mortality.

Jambo-Jimbo

Trump just said that the Mexico border wall is now 385 miles long and will soon be finished.

Yeh, ok Donald it's taken you 4 years to build 385 miles (most of which was already in place) so only another 1569 miles to go.

And what's it with the colour coordination of the crowd with the red hats and light blue t-shirts.

Last time I seen anything like that was in St. Peter's Square at an address by the Pope.

Maple Leaf
42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trump just said that the Mexico border wall is now 385 miles long and will soon be finished.

Yeh, ok Donald it's taken you 4 years to build 385 miles (most of which was already in place) so only another 1569 miles to go.

And what's it with the colour coordination of the crowd with the red hats and light blue t-shirts.

Last time I seen anything like that was in St. Peter's Square at an address by the Pope.

The Americans might or might not build the wall eventually, that remains to be seen.  

What is certain is that the Mexicans will never pay for it.

Sharpie
50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The red hats are MAGA hats handed out at rallies etc. and the shirts I think represent the Republican blue wave, or at least Donalds idea of it.

Tazio

redjambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nah. Don't see it as likely at all.

Tazio
Just now, redjambo said:

Nah. Don't see it as likely at all.

Me neither, but he has been rather quiet today. 

redjambo
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ah, I see this isn't a new idea: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-lose-2020-election-biden-polls-predictions-michael-cohen-b421047.html

Also just seen this: Trump personnel office weighs asking appointees to offer their resignations (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/09/white-house-appointees-resignations-428412)

weehammy
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When I worked in the US people hearing my accent speculated I was from either New England or Australia.

Tazio
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Spoke too soon, the bam pot is up and tweeting again. 

redjambo
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

When I worked in the US people hearing my accent speculated I was from either New England or Australia.

Should have just said "That's really interesting because I'm from New Australia" and watched them getting confused. ;)

weehammy
Just now, redjambo said:

Should have just said "That's really interesting because I'm from New Australia" and watched them getting confused. ;)

Think they’d likely just have accepted that answer. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sharpie
32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I seem to have seen something like this before. Pence can possibly do the Pardon bit on Federal Crimes or Statutes, but if I hear them correctly SDNY want Trumps ass so bad there is nothing he can do to avoid prosecution and ideally a very public Trial.

JFK-1
7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I have been asked "where in England is Scotland?"

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

"And his children", WTF?

Justin Z
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

Jon Cooper is a hack.

SDNY stands for the Southern District of New York--the Southern Federal District, that is. So Pence's pardon would cover them, too. Their agreement isn't even required, and this is a completely made up story.

JFK-1
45 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

"And his children", WTF?

I don't believe the whole thing but let's say it were true. I would then suspect his children would indeed be involved in any resignation discussion.. I'm more than confident they have been fully aware of and even involved in some of his questionable activity. He would be looking for them to be pardoned as well.

While I don't believe this is true right now I feel there might be moves in that direction if he loses the election. If/when that happens he will have zero interest in the transfer of power in terms of the best interests of the county. Hell he has never had any interest in the best interests of the country.

After losing the election his major interest over the following two months will be how do I extricate myself from as much crooked shit as possible before they remove all power.

If he has even a semblance of a brain he must know that even more information concerning the extreme dysfunction and outright batshit craziness of his tenure will come to light. Some people are predicting a blizzard of pardons across many crimes in the final days.

I still don't know if he can actually pardon himself. And you have to wonder what's in it for Pence to take over during the final days just to pardon Trump?

What sort of legacy would that be when ever more detail of Trumps crooked activities come to light?

Maple Leaf
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Nonsense, imo.

He loves the attention, he loves the adulation, he loves the power.  He'll need to be dragged out of the White House regardless of how the voting goes in the election.

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't believe the whole thing but let's say it were true. I would then suspect his children would indeed be involved in any resignation discussion.. I'm more than confident they have been fully aware of and even involved in some of his questionable activity. He would be looking for them to be pardoned as well.

While I don't believe this is true right now I feel there might be moves in that direction if he loses the election. If/when that happens he will have zero interest in the transfer of power in terms of the best interests of the county. Hell he has never had any interest in the best interests of the country.

After losing the election his major interest over the following two months will be how do I extricate myself from as much crooked shit as possible before they remove all power.

If he has even a semblance of a brain he must know that even more information concerning the extreme dysfunction and outright batshit craziness of his tenure will come to light. Some people are predicting a blizzard of pardons across many crimes in the final days.

I still don't know if he can actually pardon himself. And you have to wonder what's in it for Pence to take over during the final days just to pardon Trump?

What sort of legacy would that be when ever more detail of Trumps crooked activities come to light?

Pence will want to run on his own ticket in 2024. Taking the reins for 2 months just so he could dish out pardons would (surely?) scupper any hope of doing that?

Is it possible to grant a pardon when there are no convictions or indictments?

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Is it possible to grant a pardon when there are no convictions or indictments?

Yep. Section 2 of their constitution. Think Nixon.

".....on September 8, 1974, he [Ford] granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon" that ended any possibility of an indictment."

Source: Wikipedia

RobboM
1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

Yep. Section 2 of their constitution. Think Nixon.

".....on September 8, 1974, he [Ford] granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon" that ended any possibility of an indictment."

Source: Wikipedia

Programmes I've watched and listened to about Watergate usually make a point that, although the pardon was a shock, it drew a line under what had, by that time, been an extended and very public examination of Nixon's involvement and guilt. I can't see there being a similar consensus this time around.

Ray Gin

kila

As if Trump would manage to rip open a shirt. A breathless orange superman. He really is a child isn’t he. 

ri Alban

Sharpie

Funny how they say he has developed some mental issues because of the Covid treatment. You only have to go back on JKB as far as before Covid to see that the man was considered mentally challenged then.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14431258

Tens of millions of Americans will go into orgasmic ecstasy watching that.

Smithee
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

EkAgt2cWkAAYJ9i.jpg

Kalamazoo Jambo
12 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Jon Cooper is a hack.

SDNY stands for the Southern District of New York--the Southern Federal District, that is. So Pence's pardon would cover them, too. Their agreement isn't even required, and this is a completely made up story.

Just confirming what Justin posted. The story is complete fiction (and doesn't even make sense). Jon Cooper is a resistance grifter - add him to a list that includes Seth Abrahamson, Louise Mensch, Scott Dworkin, Ed and Brian Krassenstein, and Michael Avenatti.

redjambo
14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I have been asked "where in England is Scotland?"

And I had a chat with someone in Cleveland who didn't know that the United Kingdom existed.

In saying that, I once picked up a book in an Ozzie hostel that was a survey of the geographical knowledge of children in the UK, the US and Australia. They were all roughly equally as bad. What I found ironic is that survey questions referred to the UK as England. :)

Tazio
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And I had a chat with someone in Cleveland who didn't know that the United Kingdom existed.

In saying that, I once picked up a book in an Ozzie hostel that was a survey of the geographical knowledge of children in the UK, the US and Australia. They were all roughly equally as bad. What I found ironic is that survey questions referred to the UK as England. :)

Much is made of the number of Americans without passports. My take on it is that a country so vast has all the different weathers, and experiences geographically you could ever want. Leaving only experiencing different cultures as the only reason to go abroad, and let’s not even pretend that British people go abroad to experience foreign cultures. Indeed if you go to Spain or Greece a lot of the brits are actively avoiding local food and culture. 

NANOJAMBO
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Much is made of the number of Americans without passports. My take on it is that a country so vast has all the different weathers, and experiences geographically you could ever want. Leaving only experiencing different cultures as the only reason to go abroad, and let’s not even pretend that British people go abroad to experience foreign cultures. Indeed if you go to Spain or Greece a lot of the brits are actively avoiding local food and culture. 

I totally agree.

Americans can't afford foreign travel to the extent Europeans can , given that so much is so accessible at such little cost.

redjambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Much is made of the number of Americans without passports. My take on it is that a country so vast has all the different weathers, and experiences geographically you could ever want.

Indeed. And they used to not need passports to visit their two nearest large neighbours, Canada and Mexico, either. The percentage is continually rising, now up to 42%. https://www.ntacourier.com/index.php/node/541

ri Alban

If I was American I wouldn't need a passport either. Greatest country in the world, pity about the people at the helm. 

JFK-1

Another thing regarding Americans and passports is that the US is often referred to as a "no vacation nation". Unlike in Britain which has a legal minimum 20 days of payed holiday a year the US has no legal requirement for holiday pay.

A full 25% of the working population have zero payed holidays per year. And for those who do have something it's not uncommon for managers to dissuade them from actually taking those days off. And there is no legal requirement to pay them the money if they don't use them.

And for many who do have payed holidays 5 days after a year of employment isn't uncommon. What are you going to do with that 5 days? Spend 2 of them travelling to Europe and back? I think not.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

If I was American I wouldn't need a passport either. Greatest country in the world, pity about the people at the helm. 

:rofl:

ri Alban
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

What????? :D

:kirk:

luckydug
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You don't half talk codswallop 😂😂😂

If they are that great why did they vote the Bam in to office in the first place. 

Anyway Scotland's the greatest country in the world. 😏

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You don't half talk codswallop 😂😂😂

If they are that great why did they vote the Bam in to office in the first place. 

Anyway Scotland's the greatest country in the world. 😏

:spoton:

JFK-1

Memories and comparisons?

Edited by JFK-1

Normthebarman
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Another thing regarding Americans and passports is that the US is often referred to as a "no vacation nation". Unlike in Britain which has a legal minimum 20 days of payed holiday a year the US has no legal requirement for holiday pay.

A full 25% of the working population have zero payed holidays per year. And for those who do have something it's not uncommon for managers to dissuade them from actually taking those days off. And there is no legal requirement to pay them the money if they don't use them.

And for many who do have payed holidays 5 days after a year of employment isn't uncommon. What are you going to do with that 5 days? Spend 2 of them travelling to Europe and back? I think not.

We met a few Americans on our honeymoon and every single one was astounded we had 2 weeks "vacation". And were even more gobsmacked when we said we still had another 3 weeks to take for the rest of the year. Paid. 

Half of them only got 2 weeks a year if they were lucky, and they certainly wouldn't be able to take 2 weeks at once. Some got national holidays only, and some of them were unpaid. 

It's just such a ****ed up country. From their complete disregard to workers, from minimum wage to employment rights, their insane gun laws, the lack of a decent health system, a messed up prison system, their entire culture to me is like some messed up dystopian novel. Like a Paul Verhoeven movie come to life. 

They might speak the same language but they are a far, far, far more foreign culture than anything in Europe in my opinion. 

Smithee
54 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

We met a few Americans on our honeymoon and every single one was astounded we had 2 weeks "vacation". And were even more gobsmacked when we said we still had another 3 weeks to take for the rest of the year. Paid. 

Half of them only got 2 weeks a year if they were lucky, and they certainly wouldn't be able to take 2 weeks at once. Some got national holidays only, and some of them were unpaid. 

It's just such a ****ed up country. From their complete disregard to workers, from minimum wage to employment rights, their insane gun laws, the lack of a decent health system, a messed up prison system, their entire culture to me is like some messed up dystopian novel. Like a Paul Verhoeven movie come to life. 

They might speak the same language but they are a far, far, far more foreign culture than anything in Europe in my opinion. 

"If a lion could speak, we would not understand him"

It's the same with Americans. 

redjambo
58 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Spot on, Norm. That's what I've found in my experience too. I could never live there.

Dawnrazor

I got a job offer when I was 21 in Massachusetts, green card was sorted for my girlfriend (now my wife) and I and my boss at the time  was my sponsor. I never went, my Mum had just died and my Dad was on his own, I dearly wish I had. 

JFK-1
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

But, but, that amounts to 'socialism', and that's bad. Right? My last job in Scotland before coming here I had 37 days a year. Took 2 weeks in Summer, another 2 weeks at Xmas and New Year, which left me with 17 days.

For months after the Xmas and new year period I was working 3 day weeks. Taking Fridays and Mondays off using those remaining 17 days. Stinking socialism. Better to work yourself into an early grave with rarely a decent break and no proper health care system.

Greatest country in the world..